Highland Black Mocha Stout - Highland Brewing

Highland Black Mocha StoutHighland Black Mocha Stout

Highland Brewing visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Stout |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 12-09-2002)

jaygerman, Oct 12, 2014

syndelee, Nov 27, 2011
1.6/5  rDev -58.8%

Not good. Lower than average. Will not waste my money again. I would expect a lot more out of a brew from Asheville, North Carolina. Seemed really plain and pretty sad for a "craft" beer.I guess it s par for the course, as I feel the exact same way about the rest of their beers. I would like to try some of their one shots to hopefully redeem them in my mind.

pauldave1976, Apr 09, 2013

StoutSlut, Aug 20, 2013
2.15/5  rDev -44.6%

Broguht in for review in our Monday evening group on 3/18/2007. I'm eager to have more southern breweries joining the ranks of the industry. I was very disappointed in this one however. It was so thin in the taste, mouthfeel, and I don't know if this was just a not so great batch or a real representation. Mocha stouts at least to me should be thick, lusirous, and have strong notes of the coffee. This just didn't.

I certainly will try it again when once I again encountered and will happily update this review with those results.

maybrick, Mar 24, 2007
2.25/5  rDev -42%

kdcyyz, Dec 27, 2013
2.28/5  rDev -41.2%

tis dark brown with amber highlights and loud bubbles, quickly fizzing away and leaving few little bubbles tracing the glass. not very impressive, and from the look of the head, I'm wondering if it isn't a tad infected. the aromas are faint: coffee and bitter chocolate, not much else.
tastes of disappointment: there is definitely bitter chocolate and a bit of coffee, a slight metallic taste, and water. f'in water. very thin-bodied, the chocolate is really the only redeeming quality here. the coffee is faded, not doing too much. slight bit of roast.
very disappointed in this one. fortunately, another bottle just arrived today, so I'll have one more shot at this. See you on Thanksgiving.

Tried the other bottle I had, and while it wasn't as bad as my first experience, it wasn't remarkable enough for me to change my review from my initial impression. I'd probably give my second chance at it a C or C-..

dragonWhale, Nov 13, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -35.6%

poopsmitherson, Apr 04, 2013
2.63/5  rDev -32.2%

I got a bottle of Highland's Black Mocha Stout that my brother brought back from his trip down south. It got a little cold tonight so I thought a Stout would hit the spot, I am a big fan of Coffee Stouts so I am interested to see how this beer stacks up, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label is pretty plain and looks just like their other labels. It poured a nice flat black color that barely took a slight ruby highlight when held to the light. It had two fingers worth of fluffy medium tan head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left a little bit of lacing. This is a good looking American Stout, I just wish it had a little more lacing..

S- The aroma starts off with some dark roasted malts with a lower amount of medium sweetness that impart some nice roasty and milk chocolate aromas. After that comes the coffee which is the star of the show and when mixed with the rich chocolate aromas it really does take on an aroma that is very similar to a Mocha Latte. The aroma is pretty straightforward and nice, very mocha like just as advertised.

T- The taste doesn't seem to live up to the aroma. It starts off with a large amount of dark roasted malts that have a lower amount of medium sweetness and impart some roasted and milk chocolate flavors with a good amount of black coffee that seems to stick out the most. After that I get a charred taste with an astringent finish and a lighter amount of medium bitterness with a charred and slight black coffee like after taste. After the nice aroma I was expecting and nice Mocha Latte like flavor but instead I got a beer that tasted more like a cup of bitter black coffee, I am disappointed.

M- Smooth, slightly creamy, on the light side of being medium bodied, and it had a higher amount of prickly carbonation. The mouthfeel needs work, it needs to be thicker and not so carbonated.

Overall I wasn't too impressed with this beer and I thought it was a slightly bellow average American Stout that claims to be heavy on the mocha, but instead of mocha all I got was flat bitter and over roasted black coffee. This beer doesn't have good drinkability, the bitter astringent finish and the lack of the flavor living up it's name would prevent me from wanting more then one, and it's a little tough to finish this glass. What I liked most about this beer was it's aroma, it was pretty nice and had some nice mocha like aroma to it. What I liked least about this beer was the taste and mouthfeel, they were both off for the style and didn't work well with this beer. I wouldn't buy this beer again, and I don't think I would recommend it to anyone, there are lots of better Coffee Stouts around. I was pretty let down with this beer and so far I have yet to be wowed by any beer from this brewery, but I am still willing to give them another chance, better luck next time guys, this one needs a lot of work to compete with the better Coffee Stouts, but if it tasted as good as it smelled it might have had a chance, but that just wasn't the case with this beer.

StoutHunter, Apr 18, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -29.1%

RaeDub, Jul 28, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -29.1%

freshtojeff, Jan 21, 2013
2.78/5  rDev -28.4%

Burnt malt in smell and taste ... they should have stopped the roast before the burn and smoke. It dominates the flavor and hides whatever else might be hiding underneath. I don't even taste the mocha (or coffee or chocolate). I feel like I was tricked into purchasing.

Vierenner, Nov 15, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -27.1%

Another from ryan as part of a nice gift from his trip to brewgrass.

A- semi light looking. A redness shows through. Small head but nice lacing regardless.

S- Lots of roast akin to roasted peanuts.Some cocoa and a good deal of coffee.

T- more nutty roastiness. Its nothing special. quite bitter from both hops and roast.

M- Way, way too carbonated. it makes the thinner body feel worse

MbpBugeye, Oct 04, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bomber, thanks to my most recent bif.

black. impenetrable. lead to an x-ray machine. creamy 1-finger khaki head with strong bubbles but otherwise a characteristically rigid creamy topper. sticky and consistent foamy walls of lace cascade down and.. freeze! looks like a solid stout and looking at it makes me happy.

aroma: rich african roasted coffee beans in a sea of heavy cream. java presence is key and in the forefront of the nose. as advertised, no less. slight raw grassy scent, venturing into boiled carrot territory as warmth comes. not the best and starting to worry me.

flavor passes the ball back to coffee, which imparts a shockingly metallic bitterness with roasty peanut-skin furthering the abrasive off flavors. warmth again brings problems, in the flavor it's a sour yeasty weirdness. possesses some of the fresh coffee berry-like flavors but fails to balance them with any consistent richness that one would expect from such a brew.

drinkability is fair and its a little thin for the self-proclaimed 'most robust' beer in the highland lineup. ok coffee beer. just ok. not really recommended, but i might have had a bad bottle with all the sourness i experienced.

goodbyeohio, Jun 13, 2006
2.93/5  rDev -24.5%

Poured from a bottle into my trusty snifter. No date to be found.

A: Fairly dark, not completely opaque, but only some light brown around the edges. Half finger khaki/tan head faded to a thin ring around the glass. Quite a few bubbles bubbling. Pretty average appearance, but not bad.

S: Nice dry Irish Stout aromas. Nothing overpowering, but very pleasant on the nostrils. Roasted malts dominate along with some slight bittersweet chocolate. Just a touch of coffee, but I really had to search for it. Also a mild spicy/earthy hop presence.

T: Hmmm. Kind of an ashy, burnt tobacco taste up front. A little odd. And definitely a hop presence to note here. Mid palate, you get the typical roasted, chocolate malt characteristics along with like a leather and tobacco quality...but then it ends again with that straight ashy, burnt log taste.

M: Nice for the ABV...maybe a medium thin beer, but it's carbonated well. Leaves a nice film on the mouth.

O: It's definitely a little different than other lower ABV stouts I've had. They go really far with that roasty/char/ash characteristic. As I warmed up to it, it wasn't so bad, but it certainly wasn't desirable. I actually think a bit more sweetness could have balanced this out better. This is all bitter and roast...with barely a touch of chocolate. An average beer.

kbuzz, Nov 17, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -24.5%

A: Pours dark brown with two fingers of light tan head that recedes into a thin ring with no lacing.

S: Roasted malts with some creamy chocolate aromas. Slightly smokey towards the end.

T: Lots of roasted malts flavors with some semi-sweet chocolate. There are smokey flavors as well as a touch of char in there.

M: Medium body with fairly low carbonation, this beer is a bit watery feeling.

O: The words "black mocha" in the name imply a stout full of robust coffee and chocolate flavors. The actual beer doesn't taste anything like mocha. If you put this next to a regular American stout and asked me to pick which one advertised itself as a mocha stout, I wouldn't be able to tell you. It's not a bad beer, but it's very average.

n2185, Jun 17, 2011