Highland Black Mocha Stout - Highland Brewing

Highland Black Mocha StoutHighland Black Mocha Stout

Highland Brewing visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Stout |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 12-09-2002)
jaidenjb

beernads

06-12-2013 08:18:55 | More by beernads
mentor

Colorado

Pours a half finger of tan head over a dark liquid. Smells potent dry roast, mild baker's chocolate, some Fuggle-type hop, and earthy.

Tastes dry roast, almost acrid. Little sweet tries to fight it off, but the little that's there is countered by a md-strong carbonation (too much for my preference). Has an emptiness I'm not fond of. Like a small beer or a beer made from over-washed grains. Acrid and ashy. Light body and meh drinkability.

01-06-2011 06:59:41 | More by mentor

Montana

01-20-2012 22:29:53 | More by RWNewhouse
HardTarget

3.08/5  rDev -20.6%

Appearance: Black glass shows some ruby edge when back lit. Dirty tan head drops to a thin cover and collar which laces well.

Smell: Dusty, earthy hop with a malt extract base. Mild coffee note.

Taste: Bit of brown paper bag oxidation; no date on the bottle so the brewer takes the hit. I don't make the rules, no, wait, I do make the rules.
Under that there is a fair amount of dark roasted barley with a very mild cocoa note. Some earthy hops that I want to say are Fuggles (nope, website says Chinook & Mount Hood).

Mouthfeel: Light body, pretty thin actually, light to moderate carbonation, very dry finish.

Overall: Just didn't do it for me. More Porter in taste than Stout, didn't really get much "mocha", just a very bitter cold coffee note.

Thanks to Illudium for the sample!

04-18-2012 01:08:30 | More by HardTarget
AleWatcher

3.1/5  rDev -20.1%

Thanks to JohnQVegas for a couple of these. Dustin warned me that they might not be super fresh... So I will be willing to edit my review when I come across bottles I know to be fresh. (note- nothing about his beer lead me to believe that it was "passed its prime," or that I was drinking a "bad bottle.")

Reviewed from dictated notes during my "Clean out my cellar weekend."

This pours a lot like a cola. Deep brown color. It is translucent, but not transparent. Beige colored small head and spotty lacing. Doesn't look bad, but doesn't wow me.

Nose is real weak. Very faint. Some roasty malts and chocolate notes. That's about it. Not the nose I'd expect from a beer with Mocha in the name. There is no category for "chocolate stouts," so this reviewed compared to other American stouts-- if there were a category for chocolate, this would score very low on the nose...

Taste is very sweet up front. Slight dryness on the finish. Not offensive, but nothing really flavorful. A slight coffee-esque bitterness mingles with the dryness on the finish.

Kind of watery but with decent carbonation. Not how I like my stouts.
As for drinkability--- this been is so inoffensive and middle of the road, that if I were somewhere where it was my only option, I could easily drink several of them.

Overall-- a very run-of-the-mill beer with nothing to seperate it from the pack. Not worth seeking out, but not so bad that you should refuse one if offered.

06-07-2010 04:17:25 | More by AleWatcher
sonicdescent

3.13/5  rDev -19.3%

This one was an extra for a trade that I unfortunately didn't keep good enough track of. I know I've been sitting on it for a while, not sure why that is as this is a favorite style of mine, but here we go.

Pour is a near opaque black with hints of brown when held up to light. Head starts off well enough but quickly dies down. The upside there is some good lacing on the glass that brings this one above average.

The smell worries me quite a bit. I get a lot of coffee but it brings to mind some of my lesser favorite in the style such as Atwater Block's Vanilla Java porter. The coffee smell is overpowering and doesn't have that nice coffee bean smell I like (likely attributed to roasted malt) but straight, strong coffee. It overpowers everything. I can't punish for lack of character, but it is a bit one dimensional, and not entirely one that has me dying to taste it.

Unfortunately, taste follows suit as this one is a bit one dimensional on the coffee side. It is so overpowering that I can't discern much else in the way of character.

Mouth is good, no real complaint here. I prefer my stouts to be thick and near flat, this is a bit more toward the middle of the thickness scale and rather bubbly, but due to the overpowering nature of the coffee, this actually makes it more drinkable.

Overall an average brew that I won't likely revisit.

07-26-2009 08:05:20 | More by sonicdescent
kbutler1

3.15/5  rDev -18.8%

Bottle, courtesy of lunch on BA. Pours a dark brown color with a 1 finger tan head of tiny bubbles. Some lace left as it settles. Dark roast notes in the nose along with leather and some dark chocolate. Medium mouthfeel and a little lighter than I thought it would be. Dark roast flavors dominate the flavor but not overly so. For the roasty taste I am a little surprised there isn't a more bitter end to this but rather only very slight and end a little dry. Overall, it a decent beer but not really a huge stand out by any means. At only 5.6% though, its pretty robust without being to boozy.

02-16-2011 00:28:38 | More by kbutler1
nick76

3.2/5  rDev -17.5%

The aroma is sweet and heavily toasted with chocolate, coffee, molasses, and hops. The alcohol is very much present and more than I was expecting for a beer with only 5.3. The appearance is black with a tan head that develops quite nicely. The flavor is like the aroma. The palate is average for the style. Overall a nice stout but not a great stout, I don't like the bitter, acidic finish.

01-15-2009 05:43:36 | More by nick76
fsunole

Georgia

3.2/5  rDev -17.5%

This beer had a very good appearance, a nice head and aroma. However, it was rather strong on the taste side of things which I guess should be expected from a mocha stout. It is just not as smooth as some famous irish stouts such as guiness and murphy's.

07-26-2007 00:51:43 | More by fsunole

08-18-2013 13:26:15 | More by ImpactDan
waltonc

Colorado

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

Pours black with tan head. Smell is an unassuming blend of dark roasted malts, coffee and chocolate. Flavor too. Fairly dry and slightly bitter. For the low ABV, this is pretty tasty. Body is medium with medium carbonation. Overall, a decent stout, but not something I'd rush to get again. Not sure why this is in a bomber instead of a 12 ounce bottle.

07-27-2011 12:48:55 | More by waltonc
womencantsail

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

A: The pour is a dark brown color with a sizable tan colored head.

S: Plenty of coffee on the nose with some good roasted notes as well. Light bittersweet chocolate, too.

T: Again, lots of roast and coffee come through. The chocolate quality is not really there, but there is a strange presence of smoke to this beer.

M: The body is a bit on the thing side, perhaps, with a moderate level of carbonation.

D: I don't really know about this beer. I enjoyed the aromas, but the weird smoke/peat character on the palate and the lackluster body were a bit off-putting.

10-05-2010 17:15:27 | More by womencantsail