Highland Cold Mountain Winter Ale - Highland Brewing

Winter Warmer |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: RBorsato on 11-25-2002

4.8/5  rDev +19.4%

4.75/5  rDev +18.2%

On draft at tobacco rd in raleigh. Wow

4.75/5  rDev +18.2%

I thought this beer was amazing. It's not really heavy, more of a medium ale. The flavors that really stuck out to me were vanilla and hazelnut. The vanilla isn't too overbearing as some can be. The hazelnut evens it out to make a sweet, non-bitter excellent winter ale. Wish they had it all year.

4.74/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.72/5  rDev +17.4%

What a beer this was! Cold Mountain Winter Ale is a brew that would make any NC native proud. I first had this pint at the Flying Saucer in Raleigh, NC after three friends ordered the a pint of this Highland beer, and urged me to do the same. As with any new beer I was a bit skeptical and anxious, however, Cold Mountain came through. The appearance was a dark rosy color similar to an amber ale. The smell was almost flowery, reminiscent of Samuel Adams Nobel Pils. I was a bit worried when I saw the beermaid presenting me with this pint, it had little to no head. I don't know if that was because of the beer itself or if the bartender simply didn't know how to pour a pint. It had a very light mouth feel, with almost no trace of bitterness. Very similar to Red Oak but it had more fruity hints to it, almost like a kind of grapey aftertaste. I loved Cold Mountain Winter Aile and would highly recommend it.

4.72/5  rDev +17.4%

The beer pours a crystal clear ruby amber. The head is tan, tall, and lasting to lace the glass.

The aroma is malty and bready. Similar to a scotch ale. Some slight gingerbread spices are present in the aroma. Also a toasty aroma and caramel. A very complex aroma to say the least with fruitiness, spices and malt.

The flavor is complex with malt sweetness, hop bitterness, spices and a multitude of hard to distinguish flavors in the background. Definite fruitiness, raisins or other dark fruits.

The finish is dry with muted spices and slight bitterness. The body is medium to medium full.

A very complex beer with quite a bit going on.

1 liter wax coated flip top bottle - 2003 vintage.

(Thanks to Loki for letting us know where to get the beer and Beerinator for picking it up!)

4.68/5  rDev +16.4%

4.68/5  rDev +16.4%

A: Reddish-copper color. Clear with a decent white head and moderate lacing all the way down.

S: NOt too much there. Mild spices, malts and undertones of hoppiness.

T&M: Great taste. Fruity, spicy and smooth. Full-bodied with a nicely balanced hop/malt taste.

Great beer. Highly drinkable just for the holidays.

4.67/5  rDev +16.2%

I got this as a Christmas gift from my favorite local store as a thank-you for patronage. The establishment will remain nameless so that they don't get hammered for freebies ;) but I must say I love these guys and I am very appreciative...And I must say this was a hell of a gift.

This poured a dark, rich and shiny amber with a small head an not much retention but the head remained as a nice ring.

The smell is of rich malts that fill the nose with mouth-watering, spicy complexities.

The taste mimics the smell but with a hint of dark roasts with a slightly burning finish. Incredible, and perhaps the smoothest winter ale I've had.

The mouthfeel is also solid, with a perfect balance of complexity yet quite smooth.

Easily the most drinkable winter ale I have had due to its smoothness and outstanding taste. If you are lucky enough to get this, then buy it, it's fantastic!!

4.67/5  rDev +16.2%

Big flip-top bottle. Thanks Sam. Pours a brown/amber color with a small head that hangs around nicely and leaves some lacing on the glass. The aroma is a wonderful balance of diacetyl, chocolate and caramel. The flavor is right on with the aroma. Lots of caramel and chocolate with a diacetyl that reminds me of marshmallows. The body is on the light end of thick and the drinkability is very good.

4.67/5  rDev +16.2%

Bomber generously provided by GCBrewingCo. The bottle in my hand tonight is different than the one pictured on this site. I think the bottle I'm enjoying now was patiently aged by Mike for two years. I reviewed one of the pictured bottles about 6 months ago and loved it so much I've been trying to get more ever since.

Pours a half-finger light brown head over a crystal clear brown-rust liquid. Smells...like gingerbread cookies! Biscuit malt, sugar dough, light sweet ginger, and hazelnut. Tastes...like gingerbread cookies! Graham crackers, maple-flavored sugar candies, caramel, sweet hints of ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Biscuity malt, but also just a ting of a sour that I think doesn't quite fit. The graham crackers persist during the swallow and the caramel develops into more of a toffee. The aftertaste has some chocolate and is quite dry on the flat of my tongue. Medium in the mouth, but its got a relatively thick viscocity. Carbonation is mild and quite in tune with the flavors in this beer.

This beer is an example of flavors that are well balanced and complimentary. None of the flavors rise to dominance or fade under pressure from other flavors. Instead, they tumble around like vegetables in a simmering stew. Dancing along the surface and bumping gently into others, sending each off in a new direction. I absolutely love this beer and am already thinking about how I might get a case of this when it's next released.

4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

I bought a 20 ounce bottle at Luekens liquor in Oldsmar Florida. Which in itself was a surprise. I did not think that Highland had that sort of distribution. I poured the beer into a 20 ounce glass.

A: Deep reddish brown in color. A tad bit cloudy.
Very rich looking. 1/2" white frothy head that kept a loose meringue type retention.

S: Dark malty nose. Again there is a richness there. It doesn't really jump out at you, but it is very pleasant.

T: The payoff. At first I tasted a bold chocolate malted flavor that gives way to a spiciness that blended together to remind me of Easter Chocolate covered marshmellows, with a slight nutty graham cracker type flavor.

M: Mildly heavy. Light stickiness.

D: Dessert beer. Something you spring on a beer drinker who hasn't had one and is tired of the same old thing.

This is good stuff. From a brewery that became one of my two favorite beers inthat area.

4.63/5  rDev +15.2%

I couldn't decide what to drink yesterday. Our waiter suggested this beauty and I'm very glad he did.
This is a perfect beer for the winter months. It's sugary and malty with so much flavor.
Pours a dark brown with minimal head. Lacing is medium and streaky.
Smell is slightly spicy and cold.
Taste is smooth, malty and sweet. Flavors are caramel, spicy (without tasting like a Christmas tree) and bready. Good carbonation.
This beer is best enjoyed in a dark pub or at home with a book in front of the fireplace. I could easily drink this all day.

4.6/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

1 Liter wax-sealed bottle courtesy of the great NC BA Loki.

Appearance: Popping the top resulted in a satisfying "Pfft" of gas out of the bottle and this lovely poured a beautiful DEEP and clear ruby red with a massive, billowing tan-colored head that just refuses to yield, die down, or otherwise behave itself. Big splotches of lace line my oversized glass.

Smell: Dominating the aromas are the great combination of wintry spice and caramel sweetness. There's a "toasted cinnamon" kick to this that was awesome. Some other dark fruit aromas as well. "Busy"? Hell yeah.

Taste: Nothing disappoints here. Very well-balanced with an initial sweetness tossed with spice that quickly becomes tempered by a hoppy bitterness. At the end, a toasty malt shows up to please the palate. Only a very slight alcohol flavor noted right at the very end. Superbly balanced.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Definitely a big, creamy, coat-your-palate beer we have here! Thick, chewy in character. Drinkability is definitely a 5.0. So very well-balanced, flavorful, and easy to drink. I'm very, VERY glad to have finally been able to try this gem from North Carolina. If, in a few years, the ABV limit is raised, this would be a candidate for pumping up the ABV and see what happens. Seek this one out, gang. You'll be glad you did.

Highland Cold Mountain Winter Ale from Highland Brewing