Highland Razor Wit - Highland Brewing

Highland Brewing visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Witbier |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: mechamifune on 05-11-2012)
Reviews by TaylorK:

TaylorK, Nov 18, 2013
3.53/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured into a standard pint a hazed lemony color with a nicely formed 1/2 finger white head atop.Aromas are somewhat yeasty with mild spice ans ant toastiness.Flavors are of toasted cereal grain and light spice,pretty straight forward and uncomplicated.It' an easy drinking summer quaffer without a whole lot of complexity,pedestrian compared to most of Highland's wares.

oberon, Jul 04, 2012
3.5/5  rDev 0%

markallmon, Jun 30, 2013
3.88/5  rDev +10.9%

12oz bottle served in a snifter.

A: Hazy orange-gold with about a finger of white head. The head is mostly short-lived, but leaves a ring as well as some spotty lacing. Some sediment remained on the bottom of the bottle despite more-or-less emptying the bottle. Give it a swirl before pouring if you want more spices and yeast.

S: Sweet and fruity, this smells like a spicy witbier with notes of lemon-orange and coriander.

T: A rather spicy witbier, but not over done, and with an excellent mix of spices. Orange peel and coriander are most obvious, along with the banana/yeast flavor. Also obvious, a generous and well-proportioned load of noble hops and wheat. All too brief aftertaste.

M - Excellent medium+ carbonation level; near medium body; smooth yet crisp; slightly dry finish.

O: not a favorite style of mine, but with the well chosen spices and generous (for style) use of noble hops, this well-crafted witbier is one of the best I've ever had.

chinchill, May 16, 2012

ltdantheman, Oct 02, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -28.6%

javlin624, Dec 17, 2013
3.5/5  rDev 0%

Psberrier, Jun 21, 2014
3.58/5  rDev +2.3%

A - hazy copper yellow with a soft, loose, white head that has good retention

S - faint coriander, yeast, musty

T - lemon, coriander, yeast, a bit spicy

M - light bodied, smooth, well carbonated

This is a rather simplistic beer. The flavor is there but it's very subdued. There's nothing that really stands out to me. It's refreshing, but forgettable.

tdm168, Jun 10, 2012
3.7/5  rDev +5.7%

Highland Brewing seasonal caught my attention after being mentioned on my local NPR radio station. Wits are not my favorite style-there seems to be a flood hitting the shelves in the area in which i live-but I like Highlands products and thought I would give it a try.
I must say i am pleased with my decision...
Color is similar to Hoegarden-which I have not had in years and brought back a few old memories...very pale, but bright yellow is how I would try to describe it..???
It has the usual corriander and lemony taste that is accustomed to the style, but there is a little something extra...
The bottle states grains of paradise, and orange peel...I believe it is the orange peel that gives it a little more "ummph" on the palate....I like it.
Also, the finish has the bubble gum likeness of Bavarian wheat beers, which I love....
This is a good beer and I will say it is one of the higher ranking wits I have tried.
I rate it 3.75...

jploving, Aug 19, 2013

qcbrewer, Jul 17, 2014
3.95/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured a hazy blonde-orange with a light white head. It lacks the fine bubbles and lacing of a bottle conditioned wit, but that's my only complaint. Otherwise there's a smooth, subtle earthy apricot with mild spice and a layer of fresh bread and dough underneath. I wouldn't call it crisp, but its also not heavy. Overall, a fine example of the style. I appreciate that it's not too fruity.

tempest, Jun 11, 2012

ordybill, Aug 27, 2014
3.38/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured from a bottle into a stange.

A - Hazy orange gold with a smaller to medium size white head.

S - Fruity with orange and lemon.

T - Spicy and lemon comes through. Small amount of hops at the end. A major difference between the bottle and on top is on tap more of the banana and clove come through. Bottle there is little to know banana taste.

M - Very balanced. Medium all the way.

O - It's good. As to be expected it's even better on draft. I think I'll stick to draft only on this one since the banana/clove on draft is just so much better than what can fit into the bottle.

SteveMi, Sep 17, 2012

Kegatron, Sep 25, 2013

atlbravsrno1, Aug 05, 2014
3.55/5  rDev +1.4%

Served from tap into a shaker. Poured a slightly hazy golden yellow with a one finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, fruit, spice, and clove. The flavor was of sweet malt, fruit, banana, perfume, and floral. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty decent brew. I was quite intrigued when I saw this one on the tap list and didn’t know quite what to expect. However, what I found was definitely on par for the style. Not quite standoutish on the flavor or aroma, but did take a slight step up in the mouthfeel compared to the average brew from the style. This one was quite refreshing, but lacked a lot of complexity making it not quite as enjoyable as it could have been. Definitely worth trying if you get the chance and are a fan of the style, but not one of Highland’s great offerings.

thagr81us, Jul 06, 2012

SFNC, Jul 20, 2014

TJK, Nov 14, 2013
3.38/5  rDev -3.4%

A: Hazy golden. Small white head.
S: Lemon, belgium yeast
T: Lemon zest, citrus, I can taste the yeast, but the coriander doesn't come through so well. not bad.
M: Medium, small amount of carbonation
O: Overall, its not the best in the style, if you are looking for a great wit, look to something else. I love Belgium wits and this just doesn't cut it. It is definitely drinkable, but I'm glad I didn't buy a sixpack.

caulfield, Aug 07, 2013

From Highland brewing company, this offering poured from the bottle a hazy yellow with light
white foam, very light retention, and light lacing. Nose of coriander and clove mixed with
banana, lemon zest, and light wheat. A rather odd taste...heavily spiced and clove dominated.
Light banana and wheat flavor on the back. Very thin watery characteristic, light mouthfeel
with a clove and light white pepper aftertaste. Nice to try, would not buy it again which is
hard for me to say since I am rather fond of this brewery. An interesting take on a summer
wit, yet there are many others that are more rounded and not so accentuated with clove that
it cloys the overall profile.

Brutaltruth, Aug 30, 2014