Highland Razor Wit - Highland Brewing

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: mechamifune on 05-11-2012

2.5/5  rDev -28%

3.84/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce bottle pours into wheat beer glass

A - pale straw color with small one finger head degenerating into a thin retention ring, not much lacing.

S - yeast, cheese, some spicy notes

T - subtle flavor, very mild, dry yeasty finish

M - average

O - completely unremarkable

2.5/5  rDev -28%

2.75/5  rDev -20.7%

3.46/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A-Pours a soft, creamy yellow color with a vibrant white head and good retention. Leaves behind a fair amount of lacing.

S-Ginger is a bit overpowering. Under that ginger are subtle notes of sharp cheese, funky Belgian yeast, floral hops, and other spices

T-Ginger and other spices take over at the front of the palate and allow for a little nuance. Floral hops and that funky Belgian yeast/cheese flavor makes a quick appearance as the finish is overpowered by the ginger again.

MF-Mellow, a bit carbonated with a dry finish. Overall pretty satisfying here.

O-A nice interpretation of the style, but I like my Wits to be a little less sharp. The ginger is overpowering and allows for little nuance. Wits are the best when they are complex and have those soft fruit and cheesy/yeast flavors.

3.89/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle courtesy of fthomasl pours a hazed yellow with a small cap of white head. Pretty good retention and lacing for the size of the foam.

Nose has plenty of coriander and soft wheat, but there seems to be another spice in there I cant quite grasp...cinnamon maybe? Smells pretty tasty and a little different than most witbiers.

Taste is pretty good, has the soft feel I like in a wit with a nice coriander presence. The orange peel is lower than usual and I am still getting some different spices than I am used to...really makes for an interesting beer. I like it, I would buy it again for sure.

4.5/5  rDev +29.7%

3.69/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Highland Brewing seasonal caught my attention after being mentioned on my local NPR radio station. Wits are not my favorite style-there seems to be a flood hitting the shelves in the area in which i live-but I like Highlands products and thought I would give it a try.
I must say i am pleased with my decision...
Color is similar to Hoegarden-which I have not had in years and brought back a few old memories...very pale, but bright yellow is how I would try to describe it..???
It has the usual corriander and lemony taste that is accustomed to the style, but there is a little something extra...
The bottle states grains of paradise, and orange peel...I believe it is the orange peel that gives it a little more "ummph" on the palate....I like it.
Also, the finish has the bubble gum likeness of Bavarian wheat beers, which I love....
This is a good beer and I will say it is one of the higher ranking wits I have tried.
I rate it 3.75...