White Knuckle Double IPA - Marin Brewing Company

White Knuckle Double IPAWhite Knuckle Double IPA

Marin Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 03-08-2002)

The fabled White knuckle...

This is the second batch I've gotten my hands on since I moved into the bay area (the guys @ liquor wherehouse held a bottle for me this spirng. YOU GUYS ROCK!!!). I have to say this is speical stuff. Arnie told me it takes 9 weeks to ferment, that's why he can only do a batch from time to time. Perfect Balance on this one. The 9.1% this batch came out to be is soo well hidden, I only noticed it when I could barely walk up the stairs after 4 hours @ the brewery! I got a case [no growler fills this batch :( ], after sharing I'm down to 4 bottles. Man I'm rambling. So all I can say is I'm a devout "knuckle-head". One of the best double IPAs out there. If you see it, you're insane not to try it!

ironlung, Nov 12, 2008

CEDAMA, Feb 19, 2013

FreshmanPour77, Nov 28, 2011

MikeDre, Nov 18, 2011

LloydBobBoozehound, Sep 22, 2014

hazy almost amber color. alcohol just jumps at you just like the hops. very easy to drink, only had about 7oz and its already hitting me. tangy. kind dry but a really good brew.the aroma is really captivating really hoppy double ipa. good get it. tasty. cheers!

purpletape, Oct 27, 2009

Pours a deep amber with red hues to it, steady carbonation. Clear and glowing. A big thick white head caps it off and leaves sticky spots of lacing all over the glass.

Smells yummy...like exactly how I want my IIPA to smell. Raw, juicy hops! Candied citrusy scents. Undeniable freshness like some funky greenery, you could smell it even in my pocket type thing.

Taste continues in the same fashion. Right up front is this pure hop juice, kind of resinous and in your face but it's heaven and something I haven't quite experienced yet. A little sweetness combined with the citrus flavors comes after, again like candied citrus. The sweet center carries out into a fresh and excellent hoppy bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is nice and tingly on the tongue, great bitterness. Not so sryupy thick like some get but the freshness and pure hop juice does add a resinous, oily effect.

Shit, damn, mutha fucka! This is a sneaker right here. Not as well known as the "top of the line" products in its class but to me better than all of them. I'm giving this my first perfect score. It's everything I could hope for and then some. Maybe it's not big and bold enough for other folks but this is what a IIPA should be for me. Pure hop glory at its finest.

I will be seeking this out again...now! Pure Hoppiness, Yulesmith, Pliny, I have tried you all and this may have just been the nemesis. So...hard...to do...first 5.

Huge thanks to flexabull for providing this brew that ended up above and beyond my expectations, which I might say were high to begin with.

ncvbc, Apr 10, 2008

mthomas84, Dec 13, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

wow. what a damn good beer. i want more. it is damn good again. i get some good pine on the nose. and it smells nice and thick. after every sip; i am in awe! this beer is so F#$&ing good. horde it all! get what you can! i love this beer. this is a late review in that i know i like this beer. but i should give a review. KILL IF MUST; DRINK THIS BEER!

music: tool- 10,000 days

lflesh, Apr 23, 2006
4.93/5  rDev +18.5%

Appearance: Thick pour. Resin and oils are visibly apparent. Major lacing from the big white head, complete with "hop circles" spinning around from the constant carbonation. Dark and bold. Deep orange, almost red or brown. Much darker than I prefer for a 2xIPA...a real beaut though. Just looking at me with that "drink me" face.

Smell: WREEKS of hops...the predominant smell is undeniably fresh blueberry puree. Thick pine oils, dates, apricots, and HOPS OUT THE ASS.

Taste: Kinko that. One of the best uses of thick carmel malts I've ever had the pleasure of. But the deep malts can only daydream of being heard with hops like this. God damn! Exactly what I'm looking for when I think 2xIPA. Stinky old-school weed, thick resin, spruce, fruitcake, and HOPS OUT THE ASS!!!!

Mouthfeel is pretty chewy, not too sweet or sticky though. Hop oils influence the mouthfeel big time.

Drinkability is up there with the best of 'em. Oh so delicious.

I've had this before and knew it was good, but I don't remember it being THIS good! Wouldn't change a thing...hard to pick which category wasn't a perfect 5. DRINK THIS BEER.

P.S. It really pisses me off that they never have it at the brewery when I go. They need to dedicate a few tanks exclusively to this awesome brew.

rayjay, Sep 01, 2006

06/22/05- Purchased at Plumpjack Wines in San Francisco, CA

Presentation- 22oz bomber poured into my Duvel tulip. Undated.

Appearance- Darker orange-amber color with a nice frothy head and very nice lacing.

Smell- One of the best smelling 2IPA's I have lent my nose to. Huge grapefruity scent bombs you in the face. Maybe a touch of woodsy pine to accompany it.

Taste- We may have about the best balanced 2IPA's out there. Great malty taste as well as a very hoppy taste as well. Grapefruit and forest is well noted.

Mouthfeel- This dude is thick. Yes, I will agree totally with all the "chewy" comments from everyone else. Moderate carbonation as well.

Drinkability- Session beer if it wasn't over 8%. It's a terrific beer at a good price ($3.99).

GClarkage, Jun 23, 2005
4.93/5  rDev +18.5%

Marin Brewing (Moylan's?) White Knuckle Double IPA served from a 22oz. bomber and into my new-ish Arrogant Bastard glass. Pours a golden to amber color and creates a nice medium white head. This seems a bit darker than most double IPAs that I have tried... maybe this is a good thing? Now for a smell... the hop aromatics are huge!!! Oh there are lots o' hops in this beer. I can't wait to taste it... BAAMM! There's those hops we were smelling a minute ago, what a flavor, loads of hop resin, almost a cannibus quality here. Mouthfeel is nice... medium to full with slight carbonation and is very chewy. This is a super thick brew. Note, presense of alcohol (though expected) is not reallpy there at all. Drinkable? You bet, next time I buy more than 1 for sure!

kmcnair, Apr 15, 2004
4.93/5  rDev +18.5%

wOw. Where to begin, I effing love this beer. For me, the one of the best IPA's out there right now.

A. Amber/bronze, almost a thick honey

S. Hoppy, almost a citrus smell. can't tune in all the gentle notes as it was a bit too cold, and I a bit too thirsty.

T. Delicious. Mildly acidic. Reminds me of Willamette Hops. Sweet after taste.

M. Almost chewey. Medium to heavy body

D. Wow, give me a pitcher and leave me alone.

I live right next to the brewery so I have been going there far too often.

Newmerator, Mar 16, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

FINALLY!
I've been able to find this brew down here in
So. Calif.

Pours a deep golden orange with an impressively dense two finger off-white head that lasts and lasts with tons of sticky lacing as you drain the glass.

Aroma is 'in-your-face' pine oils and citrus peel hops...but still sweetly so.

Taste is a mountain of bitter citrus peel (grapefruit) hops with pine oil and a very, VERY nice balance of sweet amber malt.

Aftertaste is clean with no cloying from the sweet malt; just a dry, bitter hops aftertaste making you want another sip.

...and another.

...and another.

Excellent! I thought the recipe was the same as the Hopscycle, but this is a much more balanced and refreshing DIPA, IMHO.

IntriqKen, Apr 20, 2008
4.84/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

When looking at White Knuckle's label, one can't help but notice how "busy" it is: all sorts of colorful artwork and graphics, completely festooned by the prestigious awards it has garnered over the years. Seems like a lot to live up, so anticipation is high.

Pours the color of a grade A amber maple syrup with a fluffy finger and a half of creamy Navajo white head. Splotchy lacing all up in the Lawson's tulip.

Aroma is of naval orange zest and pine: sweet malt detected but in a well balanced manner.

Halfway through the bomber, I concluded that this particular style of IIPA closely resembles the outrageously Simcoe hopped (and dry hopped) New England Imperial Red Ales that I have enjoyed (Lawson's Steve's Back Yard Red Ale new recipe, Maine Beer Co. Red Wheelbarrow).
The flavors are a welcome reflection of the aroma, only the malt plays an even lower profile role in the mix, which is outstanding.

Mouthfeel is medium and creamy. This DRINKS like the hoppy Imperial Reds also, carbonation spot on for the style.

I was floored by White Knuckle, and think it may be my favorite bottled IIPA from Cali. You can easily see why it has won a cornucopia of awards after having the pleasure of consuming this heavenly bomber. I can only hope availability is good on White Knuckle because it is one I want to revisit again, and again!

Hendry, Mar 20, 2014
4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

This is my first Marin Brewing Co. beer and if this is any indication of the quality of their other brews, I've got a lot more beers to look out for. This double IPA poured a very nice reddish orange color with a small frothy white head that stuck to my glass like glue. The smell was great, I could sniff this one all night! Great hop oil scent along with nice sweet pine and citrus scents. This double IPA was not the overpowering hop monster I thought it was going to be. The hops were there for sure and very in your face, but not at the expence of making this an un balanced beer. The great malt profile was just as important to the flavor as the hop blast and really shows off the talents of the brewer(s). Good job on this one, highly recommended!

Dmann, Mar 28, 2004
4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Bomber purchased at the North Coast Co-op in Arcata, California.

Surprised and happy to find this.

Pours a deep, luminous copper. The head rises three quarter inches, light tan with an array of tiny bubbles. As the head falls, the tiny bubbles remain on the surface. A thin, detailed sheet of lace clings to the glass.

The smell is tremendous in its girth and depth, so tremendous it's difficult to discern anything but the pungent, spicy bouquet of hops. Cleared my nose right out, think of the sensation of just having eaten wasabi or horseradish. If I weren't sitting down, I might fall over from the strength. Glorious.

As the brew warms some finer notes come through on the nose, citrus (grapefruit, predominately) and some faint sourdough breadiness.

The taste opens slightly sweet (honeysuckle comes to mind) with a deep, resiny itch of bitterness, before escalating into a freaking hop battering-ram. Yes, they escalate right through to the finish -- a long-lasting, juicy, chewy, sharp as hell blast of holy hops.

Mouthfeel is hearty eat-me-with-a-fork-and-knife stuff. Little carbonation.

I was wondering how this would hold up against Moylan's Double IPA (Brendan Moylan also brews for Marin Brewing Co. and, if I'm not mistaken, he partly owns both breweries/brewpubs), and it's like comparing David to Goliath, with White Knuckle as the latter.

White Knuckle, you live up to your name -- a wild and steep ride.

RootedFool, Apr 03, 2004
4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Generously received a bottle of this from both GClarkage and Murchmac as extras. Huge thanks guys! I hadn't had any luck finding this then all of a sudden I get two bottles in two days! Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale flute while watching the Cubs vs. Marlins.

Appearance- Pours a chill hazed dark orange with a creamy off-white head that has some serious staying power. Quite a bit of lacing is strewn throughout the glass since the head doesn't ever fully go away.
Smell- Very potent nose with a big slap of bitter grapefruit pith right from the get go. Maybe a touch of candied orange peel or some spicy ginger but it's definitely struggling to show over the dominance of the grapefruit. Some pine as well but like everything else, it's fleeting.
Taste- Not near as grapefruity as the nose but it's still a major part of the taste. Perhaps a bit more orange peel or even pineapple than grapefruit. Either way they all work pretty well together. The best part of this beer is something I enjoy a lot but rarely ever find in a bigger IPA. It has a nice malty backbone that keeps everything in check, yet still lets the hops dominate. It's ever so slightly sweet with just a tinge of caramel that is as fleeting as it is subtle. As it warms though the caramel sort of transforms to more of a red licorice like candy sweetness. Finishes lightly bitter without a trace of alcohol.
Mouthfeel- Great body with a medium feel, creamy yet sort of oily with very light prickly carbonation.
Drinkability- Fantastic! This beer hit my radar a couple years ago when a fellow BA told me I needed to get my hands on some. I had some trades fall through where it was included but it's alluded me until now. Boy was he correct. Such a great beer that I never hear any chatter about. It's one that should be sought out immediately! Thanks Chris and Tim!!

younger35, May 01, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

Thanks to Ipa247 for the bottle and TPatuto for sharing this gem!

A: Poured a murky amber color with very little head.

S: HOPS! just what I was hoping for. There was what seemed to be a touch of malt sweetness.

T: Perfect DIPA in my mind! Nice and bitter right away moved to honey sweetness. I could drink these all day, but pay for it the next I'm sure.

M: The bitterness is a great start to this beer since the honey was quite sweet to me. Not harsh bitter though

D: Like I said I could drink these all day!

madtowndmb1, May 07, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +14.9%

Ka-Boom! This stuff will kill. Double Indeed. An excellent style of beer that i hope gets more and more popular in the years to come. Everything you want in a beer. Plus everything you really want. Tastes great. The only problem is that two of them will put you under a table. Brewed by a beer drinker for other beer drinkers. Yum.

jonnylieberman, Mar 18, 2002
4.78/5  rDev +14.9%

This beer pours with some viscosity. Almost like 10-W30. It creates a luminating scarlet red appearance in the glass with a ghostly bright orange glow. Eye candy indeed. A beige head tops this vision of glory. Great nose. The hop pungency is the over-riding quality, but there are also notes of pine trees, oily hop resin and sweet caramel malt. The body is not quite as viscous as the pour appeared to be. Maybe medium-full at best. The flavors of this IPA are magnificient. Where to start. Oily, pungent hop resin. Mary Jane. Big Bitterness...but not "Over The Top." Sprucy and piney. Even a tad smoky. Citric. A little acidic. And a caramel like malt backbone that is substantial. I wonder what the IBUs of this fucker are. Damn good stuff.

A BigHugey thanks to the LongBeachBum for sending this one my way. It's the first of many great beers I will have a chance to enjoy from the Bum but I have a hard time believing this can be improved upon. A true gem.

Bighuge, Aug 29, 2003
4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

White Knuckle is an exceptional DIPA. Pours a hazy, redish- amber brown with great activity in the glass right after the pour. Little head with slight retention. Poured into a pint glass. The nose is mild compared to it's taste, which brings citrusyness and a slight caramel maltiness (i think). Slightly dry. Medium bodied, with just enough carbonation. High drinkability for a double. My favorite DIPA so far, just passing by Mad River's Steelhead.

(My review doesn't do this beer justice.)

AHebel, Dec 19, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

Drank from a 1 pt. 6 fl. oz. bottle
Served in a snifter

Acquired in a trade with BrewerB

The beer poured a cloudy, glowing, orangey-amber color with a wispy, bubbly, bright white head that faded to a thick, frothy ring. Spotty clumps of lacing trickled down the glass.

The aroma was sweet, hoppy and fruity. Orange peel came through strong, along with tropical fruits (mango and papaya). The sweetness was very honey-like. Notes of brown sugar appeared as the beer warmed. An interesting yeasty quality was noticeable as well.

The taste was outstanding. Quite similar to the aroma except perhaps even a bit more punchy. Notes of citrus (orange zest) and tropical fruits (lots of mango and pineapple) were quite apparent. The mango factor was simply off the charts. Overall, super hoppy yet very well balanced. The hops were supported by a stiff, caramel malt backbone. Notes of brown sugar were also noticeable. Orange zest once again appeared in the crisp, semi-bitter finish.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied and creamy with a fine, mild carbonation.

Drinkability was astonishing. Tasty, well balanced and low in alcohol (the 8% ABV was practically undetectable), this DIPA was dangerously quaffable.

I was really impressed with this beer. It contained all the hoppy goodness of a typical West Coast DIPA but still managed to maintain an outstanding balance of flavors (without being overly cloying or sticky). Truly one of the best examples of the style I have yet to try.

Damian, Mar 05, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +13%

Hazy orange gold with a creamy head and sticky lacing. Smells beautiful. I don't understand why they do not make this into a cologne / candle / loting etc.. Wonderfully balanced DIPA. BITTER but enough malt sweetness to balance it out. Very syrupy and lovely. I had one bottle thanks to my bro Bob... "So all I can say is I'm a devout "knuckle-head"."

xhcadamx, Mar 16, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +13%

22oz bottle received from (who else?) largadeer. Thanks Chris! I've been in the mood for something mindblowing and this sounds promising, given how fresh it is (bottled 3 weeks back, or so I'm told). Into my trusty, well-scrubbed Duvel tulip

A: Crystal clear amber with a solid, frothy, three-finger high off-white head. Excellent retention, tons of gorgeous lace. Steady stream of carbonation. Spectacular.

S: So hoppy it makes me laugh. Wonderful. Sharp, piney bitterness up-front with an equally powerful grapefruit character.There's a lemon-like citrus quality. No malt character to speak of, this one is hoppy all the way.

T: Wow, you weren't joking when you called this one hoppy mofo, were you? Mouth puckering pine bitterness up front a juggernaut of hop flavor just rampaging through your mouth, destroying all in it's path. There's a fair bit of grapefruit and citrus zest quality in addition to the pine and spruce hops. No malt AT ALL, this one finishes, long, dry and bitter. This beer is decidedly unique among all the DIPAs I've had

M: This is probably the most mouth-puckering beer that I've had that hasn't had Brett added. Glorious hop bitterness all the way with a massive, resiny feel. Know those beers where it feels like it feels like squeezing hop juice straight into your mouth? Well, this is a concentrated version of that. So hoppy that it's rather ridiculous. The carbonation is a little low but that really allows the resiny feel to take over completely.

D: I'd never think an IPA this bitter could be as drinkable but heck, this is brilliant. The insane bitterness makes this hard to session but wtf is a session DIPA anyway?

Notes: Wonderful balance between bittering hops and bittering hops with some flavor hops thrown in. No idea how they do it.

**Edit 01 May 2012**
I received this as one sweet extra from Chebyshev. Thank you for your generosity, Aaron. I hear that this beer has changed significantly since my review above.

Darker than amber, this is the color of dulled copper with a dense, beige head with excellent retention and lacing. Not as astonishingly hoppy as I remember it being, though it does make me think of (the also excellent) Brass Knuckle. Plenty of candied citrus (orange and grapefruit), some pine,a moderate fruity malt character with caramel. The palate is quite big and hoppy, with a significantly lower level of bitterness than in the past. Candied citrus with pine and a very juicy grapefruit flavor, both in bitterness and sweetness. The malt presence is moderate, with some caramel and toasted malt flavors coming through. Caramel is usually a huge turn-off for me, but this does seem fermented out to a lower FG than most, making the enjoyable to the last drop. In that vein, it reminds me of Brass Knuckle and Hopsickle. Medium in body with moderate carbonation, this beer is sweet and mildly bitter on the finish with plenty of hop flavor lingering. Nowhere near as good as the batch I reviewed in 2008, but still very enjoyable. 4.5/4.5/4/4/4

DefenCorps, Sep 09, 2008