Marin Star Brew-Triple Wheat Ale - Marin Brewing Company

Marin Star Brew-Triple Wheat AleMarin Star Brew-Triple Wheat Ale

Marin Brewing Company visit their website

Wheatwine |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-22-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Marin Star Brew-Triple Wheat Ale Alström Bros
100floods

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

Hazy golden hue with two finger white head. Sweet, sugar, alcohol aromas. There's some sherry wine aroma in there too. There's some wood aroma, too. Wood soaked in sherry. The sherry flavors dominate this rather smooth concoction. Nice, mild carbonation. Smooth, tropical fruit (melon) flavors as well. The mouthfeel is a little thick, but not as much as previous batches. Unfortunately, there's no bottle date. I've had this beer before and this particular bottle seems rather tame. Usually the sherry/wine flavors are too strong, this is actually pretty damn good. It's not sticky. The malt comes through pretty good, almost like burnt grain, but not smokey. The wine and melon flavors are a really good combination. For such a big beer, this one is really mellow. Good for sipping, I'd like to buy another one and age.

12-23-2010 05:25:57 | More by 100floods
lacqueredmouse

Australia

4.08/5  rDev +1%

I purchased this on my last trip to the US, and carried it back to Australia in my luggage to share with @LaitueGonflable and @tobeerornottobe, but it smashed in transit. As a result, it is a beer I've been looking forward to trying.

Pours a heavy and thick deep amber-gold colour, with a fine bubbled film of yellowish-white head. It is especially golden on the pour, where it looked a little as though it was artificially coloured. Some lacing, but minimal. Body is very thick, however, with some phenomenally still bubbling as the glass is tilted. It's as though the bubbles can't muster the energy to push their way to the surface. Very good look indeed.

Nose is incredibly sweet, with big honey and toffeed sugar characters, soaked raisins, even a whiff of port. Slight grainy and light bread yeast character coming through as well. Very sweet and rich. I'd enjoy seeing a few more genuine wheat characters coming through, but it's pretty good as it stands, a very robust, strong and sweet nose.

Very smooth on the palate, with big sweetness coming through languidly, giving off golden syrup characters, molasses and hint of fine port, welling with a faintly smoky booziness through to the end. There is indeed a hint of the alcohol (how could there not be, at 9.2%?) but it integrated really nicely with the rich and sweet characters throughout. Feel is excellent: a silky but chewy experience which accentuates the depth on the palate.

A very good wheatwine, and one which accentuates the heavy and sweet characters of a high-gravity brew well. It does feel as though it's separating itself from a barleywine, through a slightly lighter flavour profile, and a lighter bitterness, and while there's minimal wheat on the palate, it still feels as though it's a true example of the style.

Heavy and sweet, but very delectable. Recommended.

10-31-2010 04:09:33 | More by lacqueredmouse
Andy1618

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

Appearance - Clear honey amber with a fizzy head that fades quickly.

Smell - Very fruity and sweet. Raisins, cherries, and honey. Delicious... smells like dessert.

Taste - A strong boozy kick from the start (but in a good way) with a faint wheat base slowly fades to the exact same fruity/honey sweet flavors found in the nose. These emerge even more as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel - They aren't kidding when they call it a wheatwine. Thick, almost syrupy. Plenty of alcohol warming with a hint of spiciness from the wheat malt.

Drinkability - This is definitely a sipping beer. I find myself with a good buzz after the first half of my 22oz bomber. The flavors are much more complex than you'd expect from the average wheat beer. Definitely a beer you should try, especially considering the modest price.

09-03-2010 08:47:04 | More by Andy1618
DIM

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

a: This was a slightly hazy golden apricot color. It poured with a medium sized head that quickly faded to a thin film.

s: Some flowery heat, faint banana esters, and a little citrus all compliment the strong toffee notes. As it warmed honey, vanilla, caramel, and brown sugar emerged, making this smell a bit sweeter. Very different than any other wheatwine I've tried. Mellow, a bit musty, and very appealing.

t: Starts off sweet, but not at all cloying. Although this is one of the sweetest wheatwines I recall trying. I tasted caramel, light fruitiness, and some musty bananas. The finish dries out significantly. Some sharp toffee flavors backed by substantial alcoholic warmth cut the sweetness. There is a faint, bitter citrus tingle at the very end.

m: This was medium bodied, not at all syrupy.

d: Frankly I had given up on wheatwines. Looking over my reviews I only seemed to like one example that I've tried. And I didn't like the next years version nearly as well. Thanks to BeerRun13 for restoring my faith, this is a gem.

06-17-2010 10:57:15 | More by DIM
yemenmocha

Arizona

3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a slightly hazy honey golden color with generous white head. Nose has a bit of alcohol snap to it, but otherwise has some pepper and bready notes. Sugary dessert flavors are noted on the palate, also reminds me of cardamom and cookies. Alcohol presence is again noted, though it is still syrupy and enjoyable. Finish is sweet and herbal.

04-23-2010 04:19:34 | More by yemenmocha
popery

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

Good beer but a bit harsh. Bright, transparent, yellow-gold with a small white head. Lots of sugary malt, mild wheat spice, a bit of caramel. Flavor is a tad sweet, boozy and bitter. Also, rich and finishes fairly clean and dry. Not nearly as sticky as it could be. Pretty good beer and I can see raising my scores in the future. I'd recommend giving it some time in the glass to warm up and lose some carbonation.

04-21-2010 07:47:32 | More by popery
emmasdad

Colorado

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a nice, lightly cloudy amber color, with a nice little off-white head. Very nice aromas of sweet malt, wheat, honey and pears. On the palate, this one has a very nice, full-flavored sweetness, with a light touch of hops, along with toffee, butterscotch and a very nice alocohol heat. A very sweet beer, thick and rich, but pleasant to drink. Another very good effort from Marin.

04-05-2010 03:25:22 | More by emmasdad
drabmuh

Maryland

3.88/5  rDev -4%

Undated bottle, beer poured into a snifter. Beer is hazy and amber in color. Carbonation is low and there is practically no head at all.

Beer smells like syrup..totally sweet. I've had a lot of wheatwines lately and some are sweeter than others, i'm thinking this is going to be super sweet.

Beer is full bodied and it is sweet but its not as sweet as I expected. It is thick and there isn't much carbonation in the mouth but its all pretty good. Bitterness is low, I'm not sure if I would get this again but its pretty balanced and not cloying at all. Pretty good for a wheat wine.

03-02-2010 02:59:01 | More by drabmuh
barleywinefiend

Washington

3.15/5  rDev -22%

Poured a deep golden and cloudy yellow, good carbonation and a small white head. Nose is wheat, malt and fruits, nothing to appealing. Taste is sweet, malty, wheat and sordove bland. it. Mouthfeel is ok, a bit syrupy, booze, wheat but I did not find it impressive nor very drinkable.

02-16-2010 17:51:37 | More by barleywinefiend
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

4.28/5  rDev +5.9%

22oz, thanks augustgarage!

A- Pale yellow, nice creamy head, laces like a ring around Saturn.

S- Sweet, pear, syrupy fruit. A bit of caramel. Maybe honey? Very good.

T- Fantastic. Crisp fruit... sweetness is there followed by a bit of booze and a kick of tartness. Significantly malty, creamy, boozy and fruity. Very well-blended. As it warms flavors become more intense but never too much.

M- Rich, full, luscious, warming. Splendid.

D- For the ABV, high... one of the tighter and more 'together' wheatwines I've ever had. Really worth seeking out. I sipped it slowly, and really enjoyed it.

01-25-2010 02:03:43 | More by ShogoKawada
BevMoAndrew

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

Served into a Bruery tulip glass at about 45 degrees.

The Marin Brewing Co. Star Brew Triple Wheat pours a dark honey (borderline copper) color in the glass with a creamy off white froth, great lacing, & good retention. Complex aromas of caramel, citrus hops, honey, freshly made wheat bread, some rye bread, sherry, butter, some chocolate, & some dark berries. To be honest, there is probably more here that I'm not getting, but I can tell you that I keep getting more every time I smell this beer & it's pretty damn good! There are all of the characteristics on the palate that were discovered on the nose with an amazingly creamy texture & a bit of unbalanced alcohol on the finish. Overall, this is a fantastic beer that easily exceeded my expectations! Highly recommendation!

01-10-2010 06:28:32 | More by BevMoAndrew
JohnGalt1

Idaho

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

22 received as a great extra in a recent trade with AndrewK... thanks brother... Your generosity will not go unnoticed... Poured into my Delirium goblet.

2 finger white head dies back quickly leaving no lacing and no real cap.. the brew is a very pretty orange.

Nose has some pretty nice citrus hoppiness.. pale maltiness with some subtle spicy EtOH.

Flavor is pretty good.. again some citric hops.. the pale malts have a background honey essence that combines well with some yeasty esters... I think it could probably use a bit more bitterness and a touch more raspy hops to balance the malts.. but it is still very nice... as it warms it sorta reminds me of a lightly hopped BSPA... I am digging this one.... Body is medium with a lite yet ever present carbonation.

I have been wanting to try this one ever since I learned about the style... This is more my kind of wheat wine... I like some hops and not the overwhelming sweetness and esters that gather with some of the other attempts.

Thanks again Andrew... I'll be hooking you up as soon as I take care of a few other commitments.

4/4.5/4/3.5/4.5

12-30-2009 08:41:52 | More by JohnGalt1
Durge

Connecticut

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

The color is a light golden yellow, clear with lots of suspended articles. The head is solid white foam with substantial lacing. The aroma brings briney malt caramel with a slight herbal hop. There's lemon and oats and malt, barleywine and alcohol is pretty notable to the tongue. Full bodied and mildly carbonated. I get some fruit nougat and buttery biscuit. Very tasty but a bit intense, not a session brew. Quite unique, very recommendable.

12-11-2009 06:10:13 | More by Durge
augustgarage

3.65/5  rDev -9.7%

Served in a generic tulip glass. Rosy, tangerine body with a dense but small off-white head, receding to a thin but persistent band ringing a film of pinhole-bubbles. Sharp angled lacing with thin but sticky legs. Clarity is adequate, yet slightly foggy...

Aroma is surprisingly restrained (at any temperature) - floral, grainy, and sweet with a bit of nail polish scent from the alcohol.

The flavor is much stronger - rich malt liquor, vinuousness, dark wheat, flour, and raw sugar on the palate - bleeding together and proceeded quickly by a wave of bitterness and (moreso) ester-laden alcohol notes (hints of scotch, sherry, and prunes). The finish is sweet and pungent with another wave of grain. Potent, but a bit rough. Somewhat syrupy in flavor. A touch of spice too...

Medium-bodied, very lightly tannic and/or astringent; a bit prickly from the synthesis of alcohol, carbonation, and phenols.

Rather sweet and "raw" tasting. My first example of the style - but if this is indicative I would recommend sticking to barleywine...

11-07-2009 05:57:29 | More by augustgarage
BigMcLargeHuge

Arizona

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours clear copper with off white head. The aroma is rich maltiness, a moderate hint of wheat and additional malt notes. After a few more draws I started to notice mild dark fruity esters and some alcohol heat. The taste has a syrupy sweet start (as it should) with some mild pine hops followed by sweet malts, some wheated malts and persistent sweet maltiness. Nice tasting brew with a pleasing load of malts and not much on the hop side of things.

10-07-2009 14:10:27 | More by BigMcLargeHuge
theopholis

4.2/5  rDev +4%

Appearance- Pours a bright, golden, amber. Quite clear for a wheat. Looks a tad like honey. Small, creamy head with little retention and nolacing.

Smaell- Like a wheat, only sweet instead of sour or "wheaty". Weird. Some nice citrusy hops,

Taste- Wow. this stuff is potent for a wheat. Strong, malty-wheaty back bone with some spiciness to it. Some light fruits (yellow apple, citrus fruits, etc) in there to. Not bad at all.

Mouthfeel- The mouthfeel is medium with good CO2.

Drinkability- Very nice..

06-27-2009 05:19:18 | More by theopholis
gford217

Georgia

4.28/5  rDev +5.9%

Big thanks to Andre for this bottle, poured into a tulip.

Pours a bright golden amber that looks like bright honey when held up to light. There is a small creamy white head that dissipates slowly to a solid collar and swirl of bubbles across the top.

The aroma is mostly sweet but with a nice citrus hop kick in the nostrils as well. The sweetness is dominated by pale malts and sweet and spicy yeast with lots of fruity sweetness from apricots and apples, maybe even a bit of honey.

The taste is a bit spicier than the aroma with plenty of yeast sweetness and citrus hops in the beginning. There is a big sweet malty base with light fruit before the spiciness really kicks up in the finish, slightly peppery.

The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied and very sticky with both heavy sweetness and a bit of citrus hops.

This is a great wheatwine, probably the best I've had to date. The taste is well balanced and not too sweet, which is something I don't often say when talking about this style. Very drinkable despite the relatively hefty ABV.

06-17-2009 00:19:49 | More by gford217
GRG1313

3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours dark orange honey color with a thick white head. Very clear with a very "orange" color.

Delicate but pleasant orange blossum floral nose with nice hints of orange marmalade. Nice assertive sugars in the nose.

Bold and assertive ripe peach, apricot and belgian malt flavors. Great fruit compote flavors of prunes, plums, stone fruits and burnt carmel and rich sugared coffee/carmel. A sweet carmel front palate with a more complex cooked fruit back palate and finish.

Nice character and balance with a medium to medium/heavy body. Very assertive flavors. Creamed coffee and carmel in the longer finish. Nice. Perhaps drinks a bit sweet for some but tastes of quality and character, nonetheless. I almost see this as more of a dessert beer than a "food" beer.

05-25-2009 23:04:36 | More by GRG1313
ChillMike

Alabama

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

As much as it pains me to say this is my first Wheat Wine, let's see how this goes...

A: Very opaque burnt orange color with a fairly small brilliantly white head that recedes very quickly. Very pretty color.

S: Smells of bubblegummy malts, a bit of a citric hop scent and just an overall sort of light fruity smell. Very nice.

T: Interesting sort of starts out as a funky (strange not bad) wheat or wit, but then quickly does an about face and turns into a tripel but definitely not a typical tripel. Very tasty beer, I'm not entirely sure if this is what the style is supposed to taste like but I'm really really digging this beer. Oh and just enough bitterness to keep things interesting. Wow almost forgot to mention that it hides the alcohol incredibly well.

MF: The Bros said it best it's got a very light and fluffy feel to it, very nice.

D: Super drinkable, couldn't drink many of them because of the high Abv but a really fun beer I don't know how else to put it.

Highly recommend this beer, easily my favorite that the guys/gals at Marin have put together.

04-23-2009 05:21:49 | More by ChillMike
Psilo707

4.18/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a deep golden color with a thick head and good lacing running down the sides. Smell is extremely citrusy, more lemon-lime aroma than any beer i've ever had.

Tastes just like it smells as expected. A complex, intricate taste flows through the mouth, ending with a hard-hitting wheat aftertaste. Remains in the mouth for a while, very good stuff.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy and drinkability is very high, I could see myself downing multiple of these, although the high ABV means I don't need to.

Overall an extremely awesome beer from a quality brewing company who has been in the game for a long time.

04-16-2009 02:14:27 | More by Psilo707
ccrida

Oregon

3.43/5  rDev -15.1%

Fresh bomber poured into my Meantime snifter, Star Brew is a clear dark gold with a large, fluffy white head that leaves light lace.

Smell is sour citrus, like over-ripened limes, almost a bit like some kind of lemon cleaning product. As it warmed from the ~55F serving temp, there was a slightly more pleasant floral perfume aroma, but still more dead flowers then fresh.

Taste is also heavy on the citrus. Not really like a hoppy citrus, and really not like a big hefe, more like it has kafir lime leaf or something, so much so that it's acidic. Not really loving the musty citrus fruit character here, definitely not like a 'double' hefe or anything, more of like a double wit beer, over spiced for my taste. Browsing some of the reviews I mistook the citrus characterization for NW hops and thought I should drink it fresh. This reminds me more of a strong belgian blonde blonde I made with too much fresh lemongrass, and I wish I aged it for a year or more.
Ok, as I work through the last glass of the bomber, I'm liking it a good bit more, the Belgian like character is coming through - or maybe I'm just getting beer goggles (I can't wrap my arms around you but you seem so hot!). Either way, I bump it up a 1/2 point.

Mouthfeel is very creamy, which cuts the dryness, but it's still sticky. Citric acid like feel eating through my enamel.

Drinkability is ok. My second 'wheatwine', drastically different then the smutty, which to me was really no different then a barelywine. This one is like BW mixed with lemon juice, but not in a nice and funky lambic way. Might age well but not digging it now, although it certainly is unique!

04-11-2009 05:05:54 | More by ccrida
yeastsipper

4.08/5  rDev +1%

Beer pours a nice golden yellow, which surprised me. I expected it to be much darker looking based on other wheat wines I have had. Nice fluffy head.

Smell is a highlight. Citrus is strong - lots of lemon and orange. Also, some green apple (nice) and a fair amount of hops.

Taste is really great. Lighter, belgian golden flavor up front. Some citrusy hops and light fruit. Flavor is both strong an complex. Bitterness dominates the palate. I don't get a lot of wheat, but there are a lot of hefe qualities..citrus, smells, mouthfeel, etc.

Strong flavors and thick mouthfeel bring down drinkability just a touch.

In short, this was a great beer. I had no expectations, but I really loved this beer. Great flavors and highly enjoyable. I will be buying more of this.

04-10-2009 05:50:11 | More by yeastsipper
brewandbbq

New Hampshire

22oz bottle at 52 degrees.

Pours gold with plenty of particulates from the bottom of the bottle. A half inch head of white fell quickly to a placid surface and revealed a few dots of lacework.

Aromatics lead off with honey-laced malt and light spice. Lightly floral and sweet. Doughy with a hint of caramel.

Medium bodied with an almost chewy mouthfeel. Carbonation a bit low and lends a light syrupy quality.

Plump malt, blossom honey, and some zesty wheat start the palate. Hints of candied peppercorns, citrus, and lemon follow through.

Finishes with a building warmth, sweet malt, and some faint spice.

Very balanced. Subdued hops and the alcohol is well hidden. Lacking much complexity though.

03-02-2009 00:17:28 | More by brewandbbq
karst

Missouri

3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

Ever go to a microbrewery and end up reviewing beer from another state/Brewery?

When recently visiting FlatBranch in Columbia, MO a patron from KC was about to share a bomber that he had from Larkspur CA Marin Brewery. I mentioned that I was returning from a weekend of judging beer in Kansas City and WALLAH! I ended up with a glass of Triple Wheat Ale.

Very nice appearance with some haze and lower than expected head with all the wheat proteins (usually help formation and head retention)

Some expected alcohol warming and a barley wine sized body with related residual sweetness. Alcohol was very smooth and mouthfeel was creamy with no astringency.

Some expected phenolics from yeast and wheat malt with an otherwise clean yeast profile (low esters no diacetyl etc.)

Perhaps a bit too sweet in its finish for my palate but this is a BIG wheat ale not a Belgian Tripel.

Looking forward to a visit to this brewery at this years AHA conference in June.

02-25-2009 18:55:02 | More by karst
davexisxrabid

2.68/5  rDev -33.7%

Split this 22 oz. bottle with my girlfriend.

Poured a nice clear gold color. Very little head and not much lacing. Didn't expect much from a brew with 9.2% alcohol.

Aroma was sweet, like grapefruit. Couldn't detect any wheat aroma.

Initial flavor was of honey, followed up with a hop bitterness. Surprisingly, I thought it would be much more balanced because of the wheat. Unfortunately, it goes from sickeningly sweet to unpleasantly bitter (a metallic bitterness) very quickly.

Medium bodied. Lightly carbonated with an unpleasant lingering bitterness on the palate.

Easily drinkable because it's not heavy but the flavor didn't impress me at all. My girlfriend actually liked this brew better than I did so after drinking what I could, I gave her the remains of my half.

02-23-2009 16:58:46 | More by davexisxrabid