Bluebeery Flavored Ale - Marin Brewing Company

Bluebeery Flavored AleBluebeery Flavored Ale

Marin Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-12-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

3.75/5  rDev +14%

07-06-2013 06:37:22 | More by Drunkenass
ironlung

3.53/5  rDev +7.3%

A: Yellow haze w/no head.

S: Can't smell much on this one maybe just a little fruit.

T: Good, totally light and fruity. Great alternative to a hefe on a summer day me thinks. Also, I bet chicks will dig this beer!

M: Like a soft drink. Leaves a fizzy/fruity flavor.

D: Very high. I'd have never ordered it but the bartender poured it by accident and offered it to me free, so I figured what the heck...I was pleased. I'm going to pick some up for the gf.

09-29-2008 21:01:16 | More by ironlung
hansenme

07-16-2013 02:20:13 | More by hansenme
blabaer

03-08-2014 06:11:43 | More by blabaer
Dukeofearl

2.95/5  rDev -10.3%

The label proudly states "Bluebeery" even though the name here says Blueberry. The label states in large font under the name: "Ale with Natural Flavor and Artificial Color Added".

Pours a cloudy unfiltered pale yellow, more golden than a typical unfiltered wheat ale, but overall pretty pale color. No head at all- just a very thin whitish cover that doesn't do much.

Aroma is very grainy (wheat) with a light hops touch, and yes, definitely blueberries. And it seems to be real blueberry flavor, not artifical.

Flaovr is overall very light, which I would guess is necessary to allow the delicate berry flavor to be present. If there were any substantial roasted malts or hops of any substance, it would kill the light, gentle berry presence. It's actually fairly nice, but this is a quiet, gentle beer with little to grab me.

Mouthfeel is very thin. Yes, it's even watery.

This would do on a hot day, I guess, but overall not impressed. I did it, ok, it wasn't terrible, but I don't see myself drinking this one again.

06-21-2005 03:36:29 | More by Dukeofearl
jaydoc

Kansas

12-14-2013 05:17:17 | More by jaydoc
BubblesandFoam

01-05-2013 00:26:01 | More by BubblesandFoam
StevieW

pours pale straw color with very little head. Smelled like blueberries and damn sure tasted like blueberries, alot. Not overwhelming though. Blueberry taste lingers on your tongue with noticable hop flavor. Very refreshing and drinkable. The guy at the beer store suggested mixing it with San Quentin breakout stout, which I will do next. Probably is a good idea, tastes like a liquid blueberry pancake. Nice summer beer. Comes in a 22oz bottle. Might just be a seasonal offering, not sure.

04-12-2002 16:20:26 | More by StevieW
cbarrett4

Oregon

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Tasted from tap next to Boulder Kinda Blue. This won.

A - rather uninspiring copper hue with lackluster carbonation and not much head so to speak of.

S - Smells like wheat with a little blueberry going on, sweet cereal malts too.

T - It actually tastes good, like blueberry pancakes or muffins, rather nice.

M - medium to light bodied but with good textural balance.

D - ehhh... it's good but only in moderation

08-11-2010 19:00:10 | More by cbarrett4
Murchmac

2.25/5  rDev -31.6%

Beers pours a golden straw color with an upfront smell of blueberries. Not a very complex beer, cant taste much hops, can only taste water, pepper, and blueberry finish. I've never been impressed with many of Marin Brewings beer. This one feels like it's been sprayed with pepper mace. If you like spicy beers with a hint of blueberry, this one's for you.

09-14-2007 04:31:04 | More by Murchmac
Zorro

Pours a cloudy light yellow brew.

Smell is sour and full of blueberry and spice smell.

Taste is a bit sweet with a tart finish. Mild wheat doughiness and blueberry flavor complete the flavor profile.

Mouthfeel is light.

Well you can certainly drink this but it isn't a good example of a Blueberry beer. It is plain in the color and taste that they just added blueberries to an American Wheat beer.

05-16-2004 05:37:44 | More by Zorro
JayTheFinn

2.55/5  rDev -22.5%

I haven't tried a blueberry beer before, so I've got nothing to compare this to. Going on my own personal tastes...

Surprisingly (as just about everyone else has mentioned) this one is not blue at all, regardless of the "artificial color added". It's a cloudy yellow with a slight orange tint. The head disappeared fast. It definitely smelt like blueberries and beer. The taste mixed those two flavors a little more harmoniously than the smell. It reminded me of a weak fruit wine. Kinda fizzy. Overall pretty drinkable, but I don't think I'll be trying this one again. It wasn't bad, just not great and not my sort of thing.

04-22-2006 05:43:32 | More by JayTheFinn
marc77

3.05/5  rDev -7.3%

Hazy light golden hue. Thin, but persistent porcelain white head. Muddled lace trails. The aroma is comprised of cooked blueberry and doughy dextrin malt, with an herbal hop twang. In flavor, upfront is an impression of sugary blueberry cobbler. Dries significantly mid palate, with flinty hop bitterness and cracker - like malt providing balance. Unfortunately, blueberry flavor is exaggerated and not entirely integrated, as if one simply dropped blueberry extract into a blonde ale. Light in body overall, but with a passably dextrinous mouthfeel. Grassy hop undertone is discernible late. Finishes mostly dry, with lingering notions of biscuit and dilute blueberry jam. Certainly a drinkable fruit beer, but the lack of distinct malt character leaves the flavor profile one dimensional. On the other hand, the blueberry overtones are not cloying. An innocous brew overall.

09-12-2005 01:22:22 | More by marc77
guitarmage

Oregon

Appearance: Vibrant pale yellow, green tint, very pale, nice white rocky head, about an inch thick, dissipates fairly quickly. I don't know why they point out the artificial colors, the beer looks pretty normal.

Smell: Blueberry and blueberry muffins, a faint malt and yeastiness, blueberry.

Taste: A yeasty spiciness that's saturated with blueberry, fades into a super biscuity finish. Blueberry, to biscuit. It's really a simple brew, two distinct stages.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, a piercing carbonation hits and fades away. Clean and very crisp.

Drinkability: I'm new to this style and brewery. The beer is very drinkable and the blueberry is very present, but it's not sugary or artificial tasting. I like it, it'd be great with fruity pancakes or brunch.

02-20-2007 05:45:07 | More by guitarmage
JustinQ

12-02-2011 02:53:08 | More by JustinQ
mzwolinski

1.23/5  rDev -62.6%

Cloudy yellow in color with very heavy carbonation and a huge white fluffy head. Aroma is...

Oh my freaking god what the crud is that???

There might be some blueberry in there, but geeez. Strikes me as mostly lemony, acidic, a bit tart. More like some kind of household cleaning product than a beer.

Wow. Wow, wow, wow. The taste is just as bad. Harsh, rough-edged, sharply tart. I *like* blueberry muffins; I eat blueberry pancakes; I am no enemy of blueberries. And this beer, my friend, is no blueberry beer.

Given the favorable reviews other people have given this, I wonder if I've simply gotten a bad bottle. But this beer is simply horrible. 2 sips of a 22 oz bomber and I'm done.

06-11-2004 04:39:06 | More by mzwolinski
DogFood11

2.5/5  rDev -24%

I'm not expecting the beer to pour a perfect blueberry dark blue color but this pours like a blonde. Says on the label there is artificial coloring added. Seems they went with a yellow extract when Blue would seem more appropriate if your going to do it at all. Natural color is what I'd like to see personally. Puckering and sour at points, a nice addition to an otherwise average performance.

I remember the day well. My first blueberry beer served up on tap at Atlantic Brewing in Maine. First thought was what is that musky smell. I had a similar reaction with this Marin offering.

02-02-2006 04:48:58 | More by DogFood11
emmasdad

Colorado

3.35/5  rDev +1.8%

Brought this one back from San Diego for my wife. Pours a hazy yellow color, with quite a few floaties and a decent finger of white head. Very nice blueberry aroma is immediately evident, along with a little bit of yeast. On the palate, this is mostly blueberries, with just a hint of sweet malt. Not a great fruit beer, but decent.

05-21-2010 01:20:22 | More by emmasdad
dmarch

3.7/5  rDev +12.5%

Pale straw color with a slight haze and a huge white head. Aroma is the obvious blueberry and slightly peppery. Taste isn't as sweet as one would expect from a fruit beer, but it is well balanced and more drinkable than I expected. Definately not among the top of my list, but worth trying, especially for fans of fruit beers.

09-09-2003 00:30:34 | More by dmarch
TheLongBeachBum

4.1/5  rDev +24.6%

Yet Another Fruit Beer from the Marin Brewery Company, Larkspur, California.

Blueberry Ale is labeled as an “Ale with natural flavor and artificial color added”, which is 5.0% ABV. Comes in a 22 fl.oz. Bottle.

Pours a light golden straw color with a slight haze. Good inherent carbonation aids head formation whilst being poured but this soon settles to a thin white collar. The white head is smooth and helps the overall attractiveness.

Aromas are definitely of Blueberries, the fresh strong smells are detectable long before your nose is placed over the glass.

Tastes are slightly sweet in the beginning but not overtly sickly. The blueberry flavor is very dominant, but is well-balanced and adds to this refreshing offering. Has a short lived flavor. Quite drinkable for a fruit beer.

This so reminded me of the Blueberry Wheat Beer I drank recently at the Boston Beer Company in Canal Street – this effort is so good I was continually expecting a mouthful of blueberries at any moment.

A great effort from Marin, and probably the best of three fruit beers from them that I have had to date.

02-23-2003 19:59:41 | More by TheLongBeachBum
jletts

Washington

2.28/5  rDev -30.7%

This beer poured a strong golden amber with a very attractive sugar-white head with some lacing, and smelled primarily of blueberry with other berry fruits, some strawberry, maybe cherry. The taste was a completely different story; the flavor was very disappointing. It started a bit bitter with some hop notes coming through and sweetened into a blueberry-like flavor with an artificial blueberry taste at the end. In fact it finished very flat and water-like with a bubbly, watery mouthfeel. When I burped I was revisited by the artificial-like aftertaste of the beer. In fact, this beer reminded me more of flavored seltzer water than of beer. The label stated that it was made with natural blueberry flavors, but I think Marin Brewing failed to harness the awesome power of the blueberry. Being that blueberries are my favorite fruit in the world, I was excited to try this one. But I found it to be unpalatable. I dumped the remainder of the 22 down the sink.

Note: I did notice a slight bluish tint to the beer as I poured it down the sink. I guess that's the artificial coloring mentioned on the label; it didn't show in the glass at all. I had to cleanse my palate after this beer with a Wipeout IPA.

03-19-2007 21:44:30 | More by jletts
beerpadawan

08-27-2012 16:24:47 | More by beerpadawan
beerguy101

Light gold color, medium head, with a slight berry nose. A light bodied ale, nicely malty and medium hopped. Blueberry flavoring subtle, not very sweet. Mild smooth taste. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is smooth. Aftertaste is slightly fruity, yet slightly bitter.

09-01-2003 01:29:29 | More by beerguy101