2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

La Goudale De Noel - Les Brasseurs de Gayant

La Goudale De NoelLa Goudale De Noel

rAvg: 4

Les Brasseurs de Gayant visit their website
France

Bière de Garde |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBeast on 11-27-2013)
View: Beers (15) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 8 | Reviews: 3 | Show All Ratings:
clayrock81

3.89/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured a auburn red body with minimal head and lace on top of a piney, citric hop aroma that is sharp but also a touch of spice and sourness to it. Interesting beer as at first I get a light, smooth beer that has citric hops and spices and a sharpness to it, then the yeast in the beer, which helps smooth it out, also adds some fullness to the beer and there seems to be a slight yeast/candi sugar (maybe caramel) twinge sweet aspect to the beer for good balance. ABV is hidden but there is a slight bit of warmth after awhile and the carbonation leads to a crisp finish as well. Not the most complex beer and I'm not even sure I'd go back to this one but it was a good beer to have and glad I found it.

01-22-2014 15:30:18 | More by clayrock81
ryannosaurus

Arizona

4.08/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Date code 01.31.15, poured to snifter

Gorgeous dark gold color, clear, about 1 finger of off white head that quickly settles to a thin bubble film, some limited but fairly sticky lacing.

Aroma is very malty, somewhat Germanic, hint of noble hops and orange peel, light spice notes as it warms.

Flavor similar to the aroma, tending sweet and malty, caramel, faint spice notes that accentuate the malt rather than overpower, nicely done... wee bit of lingering orange peel / coriander in the back. More Germanic than Belgian, I might guess a decoction mash.

Mouth feel is full bodied, lacks any significant carbonation sting. Actually, fairly refreshing for such a sweet brew.

Overall a very nice tidy beer, not too thick or too spiced. I have limited experience with French beers, outside Flanders, but it strikes me as very similar in taste and aroma to some top notch German brews. I hope I will find this on the bottle shop shelf every year going forward, I'll certainly make it a holiday beer tradition if I do. My wife agrees, and just grabbed the bottle from me.

12-26-2013 00:01:02 | More by ryannosaurus
puboflyons

New Hampshire

3.8/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

From the corked caged 750 ml bottle with an expiration date of 01-31-15. Sampled on Christmas Day 2013.

The color is mahogany brown with an of-white fading head. It looks like toffee candy.

The aroma is wildly sweet with caramel malts, Belgian sugar, but the promised spice is on the thin side. So are the hops.

The body is pretty good. It is smooth and in the medium range.

The taste is incredibly sweet with caramel, toffee, and even a dash of honey. The hop presence is light but there is a bit of lingering dark fruit character. If I was to describe this in one word that word would be "sweet." But I liked it as a Christmas treat.

12-25-2013 18:19:03 | More by puboflyons
La Goudale De Noel from Les Brasseurs de Gayant
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.