Bière Du Démon - Les Brasseurs de Gayant

Euro Strong Lager |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 01-11-2002

Reviews by carloskleber:

1.03/5  rDev -49.3%

Thin, white, bubbly garbage. "The most alcoholic pale beer in the world” is also one of the crappiest. I’m glad I bought this one in France at a Super U for a buck. If I had dumped any serious change on it in the states I would have been pissed. You know…I thought it was weird when I got in line and the homeless man in front of me was buying the same beer. That really should have tipped me off to something.

Appearance: Alcohol
Smell: Alcohol
Taste: Alcohol
MF: Alcohol
Drinkability: If you’re a hobo…5. If you’re a BA…1. (538 characters)

2.5/5  rDev +23.2%

1.75/5  rDev -13.8%

2.75/5  rDev +35.5%

Overall not bad. I do agree with most of the reviews that there really isn't much in the way of up front smell or flavor, but it's not necessarily a bad beer. It's worth a try at least once. (192 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -47.8%

OK, here's my story. I was in Florence, Italy, last spring, without a clue on how to find any decent Italian beer, and I ran across this in a convenience store. I didn't have my reading glasses, and the label looked interesting. When I got back to the hotel, I finally was able to read 12% ABV, and I knew I was in trouble with this one. 8 months later, I fianlly get the nerve to try it. I should have left it in the hotel room. This is only 8+ ounces, and it's about 6 ounces too many. It looked like a slightly dark version of BMC, had little or no aroma, but it's all about the flavor. The vodka/rocket fuel flavor that burned my mouth on the way down. My (non-beer drinking) friend took a sip after I warned her, and it's a good thing she's still my friend. I think this is the worst beer I've ever had, because it isn't beer (no matter how they made it). The only reason I see for this beer is as a quick way to get drunk. No thank you. (942 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +84.7%

1.66/5  rDev -18.2%

I had this beer while I was in Italy and the experience was too unforgettable not to take notes.

Appearance. It pours a clear golden body with a one finger head. This is the best part of this beer.

Smell: It all goes down hill from here. Aromas from the initial pour are innocent enough. A sweet malt aroma is followed quickly by a huge blast of booze. I did not think much of it at first since the ABV is 12% but the alcohol smell grows to the point of being unbearable as the beer warms.

Taste: A sweet hint of malt liquor is quickly followed by a hideous vodka punch. The alcohol ends up killing any other remote flavors which may have been present.

Mouth feel: It feels thick with a huge burn from the alcohol. The next sip really was a chore.

Overall: I normally do not like to bash a brew but this is one of the most unbalanced beers I have ever had. Take an average Euro pale lager and dump a double shot of 100 proof vodka into it before taking a sip; you will end up with this beer. Even if you just want to get drunk there are better options. I honestly had a hard time finishing this. (1,104 characters)

2.88/5  rDev +41.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

2.58/5  rDev +27.1%

33cl Brown bottle, well in date. Poured into a Duvel glass.

Looked fine, clear, bright and golden. A foaming white head sat proudly on top at first, it fell away to a scummy wisp after a few minutes though.

Heady lager aroma, alcohol and hay smells dominate.

The taste wasn't anything but alcohol, I had to eat something after three sips, or I'd have fallen over.

Very little body or richness, no depth, just alcohol.

If I had no tastebuds and wanted to get drunk I still wouldn't choose this beer. The headache it would surely produce could be really heavy, a real cracker. I am also positive there would be Demons in your nighmares. (639 characters)

2.3/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Nose quite fresh and sweet, slightly relieved by sugar alcohol. Mouth syrupy sweet enough to taste but with a touch of warmth without doubt due to alcohol. Also sweet, it feels a little orange syrup aftertaste, it can quickly become sickening. But for beer to 12 °, it does not really and can be drunk easily. A good point in that direction. But one bad point for the few flavors available and a sickening body quickly such as a poor quality alcohol. (451 characters)

1.23/5  rDev -39.4%

Oh my, I remember that beer from many many years ago. The color wasnt very distinct at all. But, I do remember how it felt! It was an attrocious experience, I took that beer one evening before going out. Poored it, smelled very alcoholic. Tasted mettalic, strong, so strong it had no taste, and it was at the good temperature. It was like having a beer /strong alcohol shooter at once. There many beer with 12% that are sweet, but this one wasnt, it gave me stomachaches for the rest of the day! (495 characters)

1.81/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours a clear gold brew.

Smell is sweet newspaper. Not Good!

Taste is malt + Vodka. No real beer taste here at all.

Mouthfeel is Oakland malt Liquor.

A truly horrid brew! Don't buy!

OK have to ad some words to make this review. THIS IS AWFUL! DANGER WILL ROBINSON! (279 characters)

1.61/5  rDev -20.7%

250ml bottle

A- Dark golden colour, reddish hints if seen through light. Head is white, foamy, decently big, but it disappears pretty quickly and also leaves very little lacing

S- Very, very sweet aroma, malty but in some kind of a 'chemical' way if that's the right word. A slight hint of candied apples is possibly the only actual aroma. And then of course a huge boost of alcohol, not at all amalgamated with the smell.

T- Very sweet upfront with a slight touch of grain. From the very start you may think that at least this feels like beer, but the booze soon kicks in, no flavours on tongue (except for a slight metallic feel), alcohol burning on the palate and in the aftertaste. Overall this is an extremely sweet beer, but it does not have sweet flavours, it's just disturbingly sweet

M- Body is a quite thick (you may have expected a bit more given the ABV), but thick with some kind of a burning feel from the alcohol, not at all pleasant. Carbonation is, suprisingly, barely detectable. If it felt a little crisp, it's flaws may have been hidden a bit

O- It's quite obvious what i think abuot drinkabilty, complexity and so on. Half of the bottle was a drainpour. Congratulations Du Demon, you are my new lowest rated beer (1,238 characters)

2.32/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

3.5/5  rDev +72.4%

1.43/5  rDev -29.6%

Golden yellowish color with a white head that does not last and all traces of lace vanish. The smell is all alcohol and the taste is the same. With a strong beer I like a small amount of alcohol in the flavor and nose but this is overpowering with no other real characteristics. The French gave this kind of a thick feel in the mouth with a bit of a burn on the throat. I paid 5€ for three 8oz bottles, definitely not worth it when I can buy Tennents Strong Lager for half of that if the mood for a quick buzz arises. I will probably never buy this beer again. Not Impressed! (587 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +60.1%

3.5/5  rDev +72.4%

This beer is the same name as a one brewed in France, however this bottle has Brasserie Boxer Lausanne, Suisse printed on it. Anyway strong alcohol taste, brewer claims it to be the strongest blonde in the world. Good carbonation, strong malty after taste. Bought in Rome, Italy. (282 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -16.3%

We pour a goldenrod-colored brew. It holds a one finger head of fatty white bubbles that retains for quite a while. Thick lacing is left as it slowly departs. There is a bit of haze to the look, but no outright sediment is observed. Carbonation looks to be standard but the bubbles rise slowly, as though they’re fighting through the thickness. The aroma is wrought with adjuncty grain and an acetaldehyde sweetness of apple that cuts the heavy malting. There are also big fusel alcohols wafting off the top, mixing with chalky and bitter yeast. As we sip, the mouth is bombarded with adjuncty grain. At first it is only this, but burning alcohols crash in, with a mix of tequila and cheap vodka. I want to keep the sip in my mouth to taste the flavors, but at the same time I want to spit it out because it is borderline nauseating. The middle is mild, with a stale and chalky grain. There is a hollow fishiness about it here as well. It is like a raw salmon, but not in the delicious sashimi type of way. The finish is more of the same, with an added metallic and plastic component. The aftertaste breathes with steely grain and yeast, biting booze, and limey sweetness. The body is medium and the carbonation is low. The feel to each sip is actually quite nice, with a soft slurp and heavy coating around the mouth. There is a drying component immediately following this. The abv is maximum and the beer drinks with the ease of mud.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this brew was the look. It had a nice color with a good froth and head over it. The aromas and corresponding taste were borderline offensive. As it warms these actually even out a bit and the maladies subside temporarily. The abv is over the top and is not hidden well. They should reevaluate the recipe and then worry about making something more over the top. (1,835 characters)

Bière Du Démon from Les Brasseurs de Gayant