Bière Du Démon - Les Brasseurs de Gayant

poor

Les Brasseurs de Gayant visit their website
France

Euro Strong Lager |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 01-11-2002)
Reviews by cypressbob:
1.55/5  rDev -36%

330ml bottle

Pours with a pale gold colour, thin slightly off white head with pretty poor retention, thick cloying body sticks to the side of the glass, some lacing

Smell, massive whiff of strong booze, some malt liquor aroma in the background, hops are no where to be smelt :(

Taste, overpowering sweetness, ridiculous alcohol, boozy mouthfeel, burning alcohol, some thick sticky malt in there too.

Sh*t basically, a malt liquor gone too far, tastes like someone brewed a standard lager recipe then added 6kilos of spray malt just to up the alcohol content.... stay far away from this one

cypressbob, Oct 21, 2006
1.02/5  rDev -57.9%

Thin, white, bubbly garbage. "The most alcoholic pale beer in the world” is also one of the crappiest. I’m glad I bought this one in France at a Super U for a buck. If I had dumped any serious change on it in the states I would have been pissed. You know…I thought it was weird when I got in line and the homeless man in front of me was buying the same beer. That really should have tipped me off to something.

Appearance: Alcohol
Smell: Alcohol
Taste: Alcohol
MF: Alcohol
Drinkability: If you’re a hobo…5. If you’re a BA…1.

DaPeculierDane, Jan 30, 2006

2.75/5  rDev +13.6%

fionn13, Oct 21, 2012

dcbeers, Aug 28, 2014
1.05/5  rDev -56.6%

OK, here's my story. I was in Florence, Italy, last spring, without a clue on how to find any decent Italian beer, and I ran across this in a convenience store. I didn't have my reading glasses, and the label looked interesting. When I got back to the hotel, I finally was able to read 12% ABV, and I knew I was in trouble with this one. 8 months later, I fianlly get the nerve to try it. I should have left it in the hotel room. This is only 8+ ounces, and it's about 6 ounces too many. It looked like a slightly dark version of BMC, had little or no aroma, but it's all about the flavor. The vodka/rocket fuel flavor that burned my mouth on the way down. My (non-beer drinking) friend took a sip after I warned her, and it's a good thing she's still my friend. I think this is the worst beer I've ever had, because it isn't beer (no matter how they made it). The only reason I see for this beer is as a quick way to get drunk. No thank you.

Dukeofearl, Nov 12, 2004
3.75/5  rDev +55%

CraigTravor, Aug 06, 2014
1.63/5  rDev -32.6%

I had this beer while I was in Italy and the experience was too unforgettable not to take notes.

Appearance. It pours a clear golden body with a one finger head. This is the best part of this beer.

Smell: It all goes down hill from here. Aromas from the initial pour are innocent enough. A sweet malt aroma is followed quickly by a huge blast of booze. I did not think much of it at first since the ABV is 12% but the alcohol smell grows to the point of being unbearable as the beer warms.

Taste: A sweet hint of malt liquor is quickly followed by a hideous vodka punch. The alcohol ends up killing any other remote flavors which may have been present.

Mouth feel: It feels thick with a huge burn from the alcohol. The next sip really was a chore.

Overall: I normally do not like to bash a brew but this is one of the most unbalanced beers I have ever had. Take an average Euro pale lager and dump a double shot of 100 proof vodka into it before taking a sip; you will end up with this beer. Even if you just want to get drunk there are better options. I honestly had a hard time finishing this.

Raven3464, Oct 20, 2012

Jerseyislandbeer, Jan 26, 2014
2.55/5  rDev +5.4%

33cl Brown bottle, well in date. Poured into a Duvel glass.

Looked fine, clear, bright and golden. A foaming white head sat proudly on top at first, it fell away to a scummy wisp after a few minutes though.

Heady lager aroma, alcohol and hay smells dominate.

The taste wasn't anything but alcohol, I had to eat something after three sips, or I'd have fallen over.

Very little body or richness, no depth, just alcohol.

If I had no tastebuds and wanted to get drunk I still wouldn't choose this beer. The headache it would surely produce could be really heavy, a real cracker. I am also positive there would be Demons in your nighmares.

BlackHaddock, Dec 09, 2008
2.28/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Nose quite fresh and sweet, slightly relieved by sugar alcohol. Mouth syrupy sweet enough to taste but with a touch of warmth without doubt due to alcohol. Also sweet, it feels a little orange syrup aftertaste, it can quickly become sickening. But for beer to 12 °, it does not really and can be drunk easily. A good point in that direction. But one bad point for the few flavors available and a sickening body quickly such as a poor quality alcohol.

ThaCreep, Mar 06, 2010
1.2/5  rDev -50.4%

Oh my, I remember that beer from many many years ago. The color wasnt very distinct at all. But, I do remember how it felt! It was an attrocious experience, I took that beer one evening before going out. Poored it, smelled very alcoholic. Tasted mettalic, strong, so strong it had no taste, and it was at the good temperature. It was like having a beer /strong alcohol shooter at once. There many beer with 12% that are sweet, but this one wasnt, it gave me stomachaches for the rest of the day!

3Vandoo, Aug 03, 2004
1.8/5  rDev -25.6%

Pours a clear gold brew.

Smell is sweet newspaper. Not Good!

Taste is malt + Vodka. No real beer taste here at all.

Mouthfeel is Oakland malt Liquor.

A truly horrid brew! Don't buy!

OK have to ad some words to make this review. THIS IS AWFUL! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

Zorro, May 03, 2004
1.58/5  rDev -34.7%

250ml bottle

A- Dark golden colour, reddish hints if seen through light. Head is white, foamy, decently big, but it disappears pretty quickly and also leaves very little lacing

S- Very, very sweet aroma, malty but in some kind of a 'chemical' way if that's the right word. A slight hint of candied apples is possibly the only actual aroma. And then of course a huge boost of alcohol, not at all amalgamated with the smell.

T- Very sweet upfront with a slight touch of grain. From the very start you may think that at least this feels like beer, but the booze soon kicks in, no flavours on tongue (except for a slight metallic feel), alcohol burning on the palate and in the aftertaste. Overall this is an extremely sweet beer, but it does not have sweet flavours, it's just disturbingly sweet

M- Body is a quite thick (you may have expected a bit more given the ABV), but thick with some kind of a burning feel from the alcohol, not at all pleasant. Carbonation is, suprisingly, barely detectable. If it felt a little crisp, it's flaws may have been hidden a bit

O- It's quite obvious what i think abuot drinkabilty, complexity and so on. Half of the bottle was a drainpour. Congratulations Du Demon, you are my new lowest rated beer

Cozzatoad, Nov 20, 2012

KatyC, Mar 17, 2014
3.5/5  rDev +44.6%

morfius85, Mar 18, 2012
1.38/5  rDev -43%

Golden yellowish color with a white head that does not last and all traces of lace vanish. The smell is all alcohol and the taste is the same. With a strong beer I like a small amount of alcohol in the flavor and nose but this is overpowering with no other real characteristics. The French gave this kind of a thick feel in the mouth with a bit of a burn on the throat. I paid 5€ for three 8oz bottles, definitely not worth it when I can buy Tennents Strong Lager for half of that if the mood for a quick buzz arises. I will probably never buy this beer again. Not Impressed!

Sheldon, Oct 30, 2002
3.25/5  rDev +34.3%

saintjulien, Apr 19, 2014
3.48/5  rDev +43.8%

This beer is the same name as a one brewed in France, however this bottle has Brasserie Boxer Lausanne, Suisse printed on it. Anyway strong alcohol taste, brewer claims it to be the strongest blonde in the world. Good carbonation, strong malty after taste. Bought in Rome, Italy.

jdhilt, Jun 20, 2002

jsurfs82, May 25, 2013
1.65/5  rDev -31.8%

We pour a goldenrod-colored brew. It holds a one finger head of fatty white bubbles that retains for quite a while. Thick lacing is left as it slowly departs. There is a bit of haze to the look, but no outright sediment is observed. Carbonation looks to be standard but the bubbles rise slowly, as though they’re fighting through the thickness. The aroma is wrought with adjuncty grain and an acetaldehyde sweetness of apple that cuts the heavy malting. There are also big fusel alcohols wafting off the top, mixing with chalky and bitter yeast. As we sip, the mouth is bombarded with adjuncty grain. At first it is only this, but burning alcohols crash in, with a mix of tequila and cheap vodka. I want to keep the sip in my mouth to taste the flavors, but at the same time I want to spit it out because it is borderline nauseating. The middle is mild, with a stale and chalky grain. There is a hollow fishiness about it here as well. It is like a raw salmon, but not in the delicious sashimi type of way. The finish is more of the same, with an added metallic and plastic component. The aftertaste breathes with steely grain and yeast, biting booze, and limey sweetness. The body is medium and the carbonation is low. The feel to each sip is actually quite nice, with a soft slurp and heavy coating around the mouth. There is a drying component immediately following this. The abv is maximum and the beer drinks with the ease of mud.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this brew was the look. It had a nice color with a good froth and head over it. The aromas and corresponding taste were borderline offensive. As it warms these actually even out a bit and the maladies subside temporarily. The abv is over the top and is not hidden well. They should reevaluate the recipe and then worry about making something more over the top.

TheBrewo, Jul 24, 2011
3.25/5  rDev +34.3%

barryjg, Mar 18, 2014
3.13/5  rDev +29.3%

This beer is in every supermarket that I've visited in Italy. It's also advertised on several large billboards in and around Milan.
I'm usually a fan of strong beers, but this one really misses the mark. It's a stron brew, alright, but it lacks the flavor and complexity that I find engaging in other strong beers. It's pale and limp, with a s fair clarity. The smell leaves little to describe, except for some ethanol and a bit of grain. The flavor is a bit harsh, but under the alcohol is a bit of malt and a little bitter hops. The beer is of medium body, and fairly low carbonation. This brew didn't excite me at all.

Suds, Jul 29, 2007
2.5/5  rDev +3.3%

33 cl. bottle. Pours a small white head that fades in the blink of an eye. Clear golden color, more standard for a lager than forthis kind of beer.
Smell, where's the smell? Apart of detergents with pine or lemon or whater aroma they had, nothing. Flavor, only alcohol. Mouth is again alcohol, though I can even notice something hot, kind of pepper. And that's all. It's not the worst beer I've had, but I find it just artificial and not much interesting, unless you want to get drunk quickly, and even if that's the case, I wouldn't take more than one or two before going to a lighter one.

janubio, Jun 19, 2007