Bière Du Démon - Les Brasseurs de Gayant

Les Brasseurs de Gayant visit their website
France

Euro Strong Lager |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 01-11-2002

Une bière sans personnalité, dont l'unique intérêt serait le haut degré d'alcool. Mais l'argument ne convaincra que les alcooliques car pour le reste elle est totalement déséquilibrée. Trop de sucres residuels, un goût désagréable et un arrière-goût carrement infect. A éviter.

1.03/5  rDev -57.8%

Thin, white, bubbly garbage. "The most alcoholic pale beer in the world” is also one of the crappiest. I’m glad I bought this one in France at a Super U for a buck. If I had dumped any serious change on it in the states I would have been pissed. You know…I thought it was weird when I got in line and the homeless man in front of me was buying the same beer. That really should have tipped me off to something.

Appearance: Alcohol
Smell: Alcohol
Taste: Alcohol
MF: Alcohol
Drinkability: If you’re a hobo…5. If you’re a BA…1.

1.06/5  rDev -56.6%

OK, here's my story. I was in Florence, Italy, last spring, without a clue on how to find any decent Italian beer, and I ran across this in a convenience store. I didn't have my reading glasses, and the label looked interesting. When I got back to the hotel, I finally was able to read 12% ABV, and I knew I was in trouble with this one. 8 months later, I fianlly get the nerve to try it. I should have left it in the hotel room. This is only 8+ ounces, and it's about 6 ounces too many. It looked like a slightly dark version of BMC, had little or no aroma, but it's all about the flavor. The vodka/rocket fuel flavor that burned my mouth on the way down. My (non-beer drinking) friend took a sip after I warned her, and it's a good thing she's still my friend. I think this is the worst beer I've ever had, because it isn't beer (no matter how they made it). The only reason I see for this beer is as a quick way to get drunk. No thank you.

1.15/5  rDev -52.9%

Like advertised it's golden coloured. Small white head that disapates after a pair of minutes.
Smells... bad. An omen of whats to come.
You know those flavoured water drinks. They're just water with the 'essence of strawberry' or 'essence of orange' or some kind of fruit. Well, this beer is like that. Except it tastes like vodka with the essence of beer. Awful, just awful.

1.15/5  rDev -52.9%

This so called beer poured with a moderate gold colour. It was slightly hazy due to some floating particles. The head was white, moderately low, foamy and presenting a poor retention.
The nose was not very pleasant and very alcoholic.
From now on it is truly downhill…The taste was awful and cloying. The alcoholic presence was so strong that I could not get anything else. I can handle strong beer but this one went over the boundaries of an acceptable beer. It was completely unbalanced with no hops and no redeeming flavour.
I almost could not get to end of the bottle. Definitely one of the worst beers I’ve ever tried.

1.23/5  rDev -49.6%

Oh my, I remember that beer from many many years ago. The color wasnt very distinct at all. But, I do remember how it felt! It was an attrocious experience, I took that beer one evening before going out. Poored it, smelled very alcoholic. Tasted mettalic, strong, so strong it had no taste, and it was at the good temperature. It was like having a beer /strong alcohol shooter at once. There many beer with 12% that are sweet, but this one wasnt, it gave me stomachaches for the rest of the day!

1.3/5  rDev -46.7%

This is the worst beer I've had in years. All Alcohol (12%) and no taste of any kind, but alcohol. I'd be crazy to put this product on the market if I were the Brewer!

1.33/5  rDev -45.5%

picked a single bottle up in Poggibonsi, Italia.

I'll admit, the name sold me. It was golden, slightly cloudy, with debris - presumably yeast.

the taste was so overtly alcoholic, it covered up what seemed to be a slightly sweet beer.

being unfiltered, the finish wasn't very clean, and the high alcohol did not help mouthfeel.

drinkability: are you kidding?? i couldn't even finish it.

i would only buy this as a joke....and not drink it myself. moreover, it makes be hesitant of nearing the 12% ABV mark

la Bière Du Démon? peut-être, c'est écœurante, mais c'est sûrement trop répugnante!!

haz paz,
- ajh

1.43/5  rDev -41.4%

Golden yellowish color with a white head that does not last and all traces of lace vanish. The smell is all alcohol and the taste is the same. With a strong beer I like a small amount of alcohol in the flavor and nose but this is overpowering with no other real characteristics. The French gave this kind of a thick feel in the mouth with a bit of a burn on the throat. I paid 5€ for three 8oz bottles, definitely not worth it when I can buy Tennents Strong Lager for half of that if the mood for a quick buzz arises. I will probably never buy this beer again. Not Impressed!

1.53/5  rDev -37.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I came across this at a food stand here in Milan. Whew...here goes. This French "beer of the demon" could probably collect dust on the shelves in hell, and for good reason. It's that bad.

The beer itself is a deep golden brown color with low carbonation, and a poorly retained head of off white. The smell is of corn syrup and grain alcohol. The taste is of a very thick malt base, without nuance or flavor. Tastes like an overblown bock with some raw vodka or some other distilled spirit added. Mouthfeel is sometimes cloying, and thoroughly dissatisfying. Drinkability? I don't know. For being a get drunk beer (this is obviously it's only purpose as the taste will attest) you'd think they'd put it in a can. The little 8 ounce bottle should not fool you into thinking that you've bought something decent. Really, quite bad.

1.58/5  rDev -35.2%

330ml bottle

Pours with a pale gold colour, thin slightly off white head with pretty poor retention, thick cloying body sticks to the side of the glass, some lacing

Smell, massive whiff of strong booze, some malt liquor aroma in the background, hops are no where to be smelt :(

Taste, overpowering sweetness, ridiculous alcohol, boozy mouthfeel, burning alcohol, some thick sticky malt in there too.

Sh*t basically, a malt liquor gone too far, tastes like someone brewed a standard lager recipe then added 6kilos of spray malt just to up the alcohol content.... stay far away from this one

1.61/5  rDev -34%

250ml bottle

A- Dark golden colour, reddish hints if seen through light. Head is white, foamy, decently big, but it disappears pretty quickly and also leaves very little lacing

S- Very, very sweet aroma, malty but in some kind of a 'chemical' way if that's the right word. A slight hint of candied apples is possibly the only actual aroma. And then of course a huge boost of alcohol, not at all amalgamated with the smell.

T- Very sweet upfront with a slight touch of grain. From the very start you may think that at least this feels like beer, but the booze soon kicks in, no flavours on tongue (except for a slight metallic feel), alcohol burning on the palate and in the aftertaste. Overall this is an extremely sweet beer, but it does not have sweet flavours, it's just disturbingly sweet

M- Body is a quite thick (you may have expected a bit more given the ABV), but thick with some kind of a burning feel from the alcohol, not at all pleasant. Carbonation is, suprisingly, barely detectable. If it felt a little crisp, it's flaws may have been hidden a bit

O- It's quite obvious what i think abuot drinkabilty, complexity and so on. Half of the bottle was a drainpour. Congratulations Du Demon, you are my new lowest rated beer

1.63/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.25

Pours an incredibly clear greenish-yellow, with a healthy head that fades down into toad's eye bubbles and top-lacing. Fine, but on the weak end. Then again, with this alcohol percentage, any head is something.

Nose is largely neutral, with clean yeast, some metalic notes, and a whiff of millet. Not good, though.

Taste starts out fairly harmless, with some honeyed sweetness, and a premonition of alcohol behind it. This is soon followed by a rush of intensely awful fusel alcohol -- enough to make me wince -- along with more metal, and deep, unsettling heat. Truly terrible.

Mouthfeel is fine enough, but the beer it carries is so bad, I'm loathe to keep it in my mouth for very long.

One of the worst beers I've ever drank, and a rare drain-pour (after the review, of course). Even now, it curdles the stomach. An abomination.

1.65/5  rDev -32.4%

A: light golden color with a finger of white foam that takes a while to disappear. The foam laces on the glass and stays for a while.

S: very sweet smell initially, but vodka cuts in quickly.

T: again, sweet up front, with a bitter bite on the backend.

M: surprisingly thick for such a light blond beer, you can see the bubbles rise slowely as though trying to fight the thickness.

O: 12% Alc is it's most intersting feature, the sweet and bitter flavors that come through do not impress.

1.66/5  rDev -32%

I had this beer while I was in Italy and the experience was too unforgettable not to take notes.

Appearance. It pours a clear golden body with a one finger head. This is the best part of this beer.

Smell: It all goes down hill from here. Aromas from the initial pour are innocent enough. A sweet malt aroma is followed quickly by a huge blast of booze. I did not think much of it at first since the ABV is 12% but the alcohol smell grows to the point of being unbearable as the beer warms.

Taste: A sweet hint of malt liquor is quickly followed by a hideous vodka punch. The alcohol ends up killing any other remote flavors which may have been present.

Mouth feel: It feels thick with a huge burn from the alcohol. The next sip really was a chore.

Overall: I normally do not like to bash a brew but this is one of the most unbalanced beers I have ever had. Take an average Euro pale lager and dump a double shot of 100 proof vodka into it before taking a sip; you will end up with this beer. Even if you just want to get drunk there are better options. I honestly had a hard time finishing this.

1.7/5  rDev -30.3%

We pour a goldenrod-colored brew. It holds a one finger head of fatty white bubbles that retains for quite a while. Thick lacing is left as it slowly departs. There is a bit of haze to the look, but no outright sediment is observed. Carbonation looks to be standard but the bubbles rise slowly, as though they’re fighting through the thickness. The aroma is wrought with adjuncty grain and an acetaldehyde sweetness of apple that cuts the heavy malting. There are also big fusel alcohols wafting off the top, mixing with chalky and bitter yeast. As we sip, the mouth is bombarded with adjuncty grain. At first it is only this, but burning alcohols crash in, with a mix of tequila and cheap vodka. I want to keep the sip in my mouth to taste the flavors, but at the same time I want to spit it out because it is borderline nauseating. The middle is mild, with a stale and chalky grain. There is a hollow fishiness about it here as well. It is like a raw salmon, but not in the delicious sashimi type of way. The finish is more of the same, with an added metallic and plastic component. The aftertaste breathes with steely grain and yeast, biting booze, and limey sweetness. The body is medium and the carbonation is low. The feel to each sip is actually quite nice, with a soft slurp and heavy coating around the mouth. There is a drying component immediately following this. The abv is maximum and the beer drinks with the ease of mud.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this brew was the look. It had a nice color with a good froth and head over it. The aromas and corresponding taste were borderline offensive. As it warms these actually even out a bit and the maladies subside temporarily. The abv is over the top and is not hidden well. They should reevaluate the recipe and then worry about making something more over the top.

1.75/5  rDev -28.3%

1.81/5  rDev -25.8%

Pours a clear gold brew.

Smell is sweet newspaper. Not Good!

Taste is malt + Vodka. No real beer taste here at all.

Mouthfeel is Oakland malt Liquor.

A truly horrid brew! Don't buy!

OK have to ad some words to make this review. THIS IS AWFUL! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

2.06/5  rDev -15.6%

33cl bottle: This one pours an absolutely clear golden color with a bit of a white head on it. The head drops off rather quickly, despite some fizziness. The aroma is thinner, with some fruit and alcohol notes. Some malty smell also. The taste is rather harsh, although somewhat sweet. There is also alcohol up front. Some malt notes. Overall, this is not offensive, but not very good either. I feel that the only purpose of this brew is to get you trashed.

Bière Du Démon from Les Brasseurs de Gayant