Bière Du Démon - Les Brasseurs de Gayant

France

Euro Strong Lager |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 01-11-2002

2.58/5  rDev +5.7%

33cl Brown bottle, well in date. Poured into a Duvel glass.

Looked fine, clear, bright and golden. A foaming white head sat proudly on top at first, it fell away to a scummy wisp after a few minutes though.

Heady lager aroma, alcohol and hay smells dominate.

The taste wasn't anything but alcohol, I had to eat something after three sips, or I'd have fallen over.

Very little body or richness, no depth, just alcohol.

If I had no tastebuds and wanted to get drunk I still wouldn't choose this beer. The headache it would surely produce could be really heavy, a real cracker. I am also positive there would be Demons in your nighmares.

1.81/5  rDev -25.8%

Pours a clear gold brew.

Smell is sweet newspaper. Not Good!

Taste is malt + Vodka. No real beer taste here at all.

Mouthfeel is Oakland malt Liquor.

A truly horrid brew! Don't buy!

OK have to ad some words to make this review. THIS IS AWFUL! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

3.5/5  rDev +43.4%

This beer is the same name as a one brewed in France, however this bottle has Brasserie Boxer Lausanne, Suisse printed on it. Anyway strong alcohol taste, brewer claims it to be the strongest blonde in the world. Good carbonation, strong malty after taste. Bought in Rome, Italy.

2.5/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A neat looking label. Hesitant because of previous things I'd heard about this one, but gave it a fair, objective shot - and was, pleasantly not poisoned. While far from anything of quality, it managed to keep itself well beyond the realm of under-the-sink cleaning products. Alcohol, at an alarming 12%, stayed surprisingly hidden, or at least nondestructive to the beer. It's real shortcoming would fall in a simple lack of taste and aroma. An acceptable draft at the style, but lacking in the finer touches. Flavour offers little interest or complexity, equally can be said for the aroma. Both, present, but void. It managed to produce some head over the clouded (unhealthy looking) yellow appearance. In the end, I can say with some truth that I didn't mind this one; well, in all honesty I've had worse anyhow...

2.3/5  rDev -5.7%

Had this in Barcelpona with Maria and Zacca. Poured with a decent off white foamy, frothy head and lots of lace. Color was a clear amber. Aroma was malty, honey with a hint of skunk. Flavor was dominated by heavy sweet alcohol. Body wasnk't bad. Finish is the same as flavor. Way too sweet and boozy. One was more than enough, thank you.

3.08/5  rDev +26.2%

This beer is in every supermarket that I've visited in Italy. It's also advertised on several large billboards in and around Milan.
I'm usually a fan of strong beers, but this one really misses the mark. It's a stron brew, alright, but it lacks the flavor and complexity that I find engaging in other strong beers. It's pale and limp, with a s fair clarity. The smell leaves little to describe, except for some ethanol and a bit of grain. The flavor is a bit harsh, but under the alcohol is a bit of malt and a little bitter hops. The beer is of medium body, and fairly low carbonation. This brew didn't excite me at all.

2.06/5  rDev -15.6%

33cl bottle: This one pours an absolutely clear golden color with a bit of a white head on it. The head drops off rather quickly, despite some fizziness. The aroma is thinner, with some fruit and alcohol notes. Some malty smell also. The taste is rather harsh, although somewhat sweet. There is also alcohol up front. Some malt notes. Overall, this is not offensive, but not very good either. I feel that the only purpose of this brew is to get you trashed.

3.75/5  rDev +53.7%

3.3/5  rDev +35.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Beer bottle (33 cl.), tasted in 2000.

Appearance : yellow color, with white foamy head (not persistent).
Smell : very sweet malty with notes of alcohol.
Taste and mouthfeel : sweet alcohol and malt.
Drinkability : an average beer in the style French "bière de garde" (too strong).

2.7/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Vintage 1997? Best before of 30.03.98

Pours pale, hazy gold with a white head of various sized bubbles.
The head never accounts to much, even with an aggresive pour, but lacework is decent afterwards.
Mostly erratic dots and a few strings of foam endure throughout the glass.
Aromatics are mostly higher alcohols, with a mild nail polish essence and other cleaning solutions.
A very light malt wink lies underneath the brutal, boozy nose, and finishes with a hint of honey.
The mouthfeel is pretty light for the size of the beer, and a bit sticky. Nothing really else is apparent besides the heat that bares down.
The pallet is mildly sweet and almost burning. Pretty straightforward and alcoholic. No spice, yeastiness or hops. Rather one dimensional.
The cleaning solution character comes through as promised, but seems more industrial strength now. Goodie goodie.
A very light malt note along with some residuals is all that can be decerned through the lingering heat of the fusels.
The solvent-like character seemed to build on the pallet, which eventually kept me from finishing the glass.
I was hoping that 10 years would have helped this beer improve somehow, and it is more offensive than I remember.
Maybe another 10?

1.7/5  rDev -30.3%

We pour a goldenrod-colored brew. It holds a one finger head of fatty white bubbles that retains for quite a while. Thick lacing is left as it slowly departs. There is a bit of haze to the look, but no outright sediment is observed. Carbonation looks to be standard but the bubbles rise slowly, as though they’re fighting through the thickness. The aroma is wrought with adjuncty grain and an acetaldehyde sweetness of apple that cuts the heavy malting. There are also big fusel alcohols wafting off the top, mixing with chalky and bitter yeast. As we sip, the mouth is bombarded with adjuncty grain. At first it is only this, but burning alcohols crash in, with a mix of tequila and cheap vodka. I want to keep the sip in my mouth to taste the flavors, but at the same time I want to spit it out because it is borderline nauseating. The middle is mild, with a stale and chalky grain. There is a hollow fishiness about it here as well. It is like a raw salmon, but not in the delicious sashimi type of way. The finish is more of the same, with an added metallic and plastic component. The aftertaste breathes with steely grain and yeast, biting booze, and limey sweetness. The body is medium and the carbonation is low. The feel to each sip is actually quite nice, with a soft slurp and heavy coating around the mouth. There is a drying component immediately following this. The abv is maximum and the beer drinks with the ease of mud.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this brew was the look. It had a nice color with a good froth and head over it. The aromas and corresponding taste were borderline offensive. As it warms these actually even out a bit and the maladies subside temporarily. The abv is over the top and is not hidden well. They should reevaluate the recipe and then worry about making something more over the top.

1.03/5  rDev -57.8%

Thin, white, bubbly garbage. "The most alcoholic pale beer in the world” is also one of the crappiest. I’m glad I bought this one in France at a Super U for a buck. If I had dumped any serious change on it in the states I would have been pissed. You know…I thought it was weird when I got in line and the homeless man in front of me was buying the same beer. That really should have tipped me off to something.

Appearance: Alcohol
Smell: Alcohol
Taste: Alcohol
MF: Alcohol
Drinkability: If you’re a hobo…5. If you’re a BA…1.

1.3/5  rDev -46.7%

This is the worst beer I've had in years. All Alcohol (12%) and no taste of any kind, but alcohol. I'd be crazy to put this product on the market if I were the Brewer!

1.06/5  rDev -56.6%

OK, here's my story. I was in Florence, Italy, last spring, without a clue on how to find any decent Italian beer, and I ran across this in a convenience store. I didn't have my reading glasses, and the label looked interesting. When I got back to the hotel, I finally was able to read 12% ABV, and I knew I was in trouble with this one. 8 months later, I fianlly get the nerve to try it. I should have left it in the hotel room. This is only 8+ ounces, and it's about 6 ounces too many. It looked like a slightly dark version of BMC, had little or no aroma, but it's all about the flavor. The vodka/rocket fuel flavor that burned my mouth on the way down. My (non-beer drinking) friend took a sip after I warned her, and it's a good thing she's still my friend. I think this is the worst beer I've ever had, because it isn't beer (no matter how they made it). The only reason I see for this beer is as a quick way to get drunk. No thank you.

3.25/5  rDev +33.2%