Bière Du Démon - Les Brasseurs de Gayant

Euro Strong Lager |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 01-11-2002

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
2.3/5  rDev +13.3%

Had this in Barcelpona with Maria and Zacca. Poured with a decent off white foamy, frothy head and lots of lace. Color was a clear amber. Aroma was malty, honey with a hint of skunk. Flavor was dominated by heavy sweet alcohol. Body wasnk't bad. Finish is the same as flavor. Way too sweet and boozy. One was more than enough, thank you. (337 characters)

1.15/5  rDev -43.3%

Like advertised it's golden coloured. Small white head that disapates after a pair of minutes.
Smells... bad. An omen of whats to come.
You know those flavoured water drinks. They're just water with the 'essence of strawberry' or 'essence of orange' or some kind of fruit. Well, this beer is like that. Except it tastes like vodka with the essence of beer. Awful, just awful. (375 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +62.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Beer bottle (33 cl.), tasted in 2000.

Appearance : yellow color, with white foamy head (not persistent).
Smell : very sweet malty with notes of alcohol.
Taste and mouthfeel : sweet alcohol and malt.
Drinkability : an average beer in the style French "bière de garde" (too strong). (283 characters)

2.58/5  rDev +27.1%

33cl Brown bottle, well in date. Poured into a Duvel glass.

Looked fine, clear, bright and golden. A foaming white head sat proudly on top at first, it fell away to a scummy wisp after a few minutes though.

Heady lager aroma, alcohol and hay smells dominate.

The taste wasn't anything but alcohol, I had to eat something after three sips, or I'd have fallen over.

Very little body or richness, no depth, just alcohol.

If I had no tastebuds and wanted to get drunk I still wouldn't choose this beer. The headache it would surely produce could be really heavy, a real cracker. I am also positive there would be Demons in your nighmares. (639 characters)

1.33/5  rDev -34.5%

picked a single bottle up in Poggibonsi, Italia.

I'll admit, the name sold me. It was golden, slightly cloudy, with debris - presumably yeast.

the taste was so overtly alcoholic, it covered up what seemed to be a slightly sweet beer.

being unfiltered, the finish wasn't very clean, and the high alcohol did not help mouthfeel.

drinkability: are you kidding?? i couldn't even finish it.

i would only buy this as a joke....and not drink it myself. moreover, it makes be hesitant of nearing the 12% ABV mark

la Bière Du Démon? peut-être, c'est écœurante, mais c'est sûrement trop répugnante!!

haz paz,
- ajh (618 characters)

1.15/5  rDev -43.3%

This so called beer poured with a moderate gold colour. It was slightly hazy due to some floating particles. The head was white, moderately low, foamy and presenting a poor retention.
The nose was not very pleasant and very alcoholic.
From now on it is truly downhill…The taste was awful and cloying. The alcoholic presence was so strong that I could not get anything else. I can handle strong beer but this one went over the boundaries of an acceptable beer. It was completely unbalanced with no hops and no redeeming flavour.
I almost could not get to end of the bottle. Definitely one of the worst beers I’ve ever tried. (628 characters)

3.08/5  rDev +51.7%

This beer is in every supermarket that I've visited in Italy. It's also advertised on several large billboards in and around Milan.
I'm usually a fan of strong beers, but this one really misses the mark. It's a stron brew, alright, but it lacks the flavor and complexity that I find engaging in other strong beers. It's pale and limp, with a s fair clarity. The smell leaves little to describe, except for some ethanol and a bit of grain. The flavor is a bit harsh, but under the alcohol is a bit of malt and a little bitter hops. The beer is of medium body, and fairly low carbonation. This brew didn't excite me at all. (623 characters)

2.48/5  rDev +22.2%

33 cl. bottle. Pours a small white head that fades in the blink of an eye. Clear golden color, more standard for a lager than forthis kind of beer.
Smell, where's the smell? Apart of detergents with pine or lemon or whater aroma they had, nothing. Flavor, only alcohol. Mouth is again alcohol, though I can even notice something hot, kind of pepper. And that's all. It's not the worst beer I've had, but I find it just artificial and not much interesting, unless you want to get drunk quickly, and even if that's the case, I wouldn't take more than one or two before going to a lighter one. (591 characters)

2.06/5  rDev +1.5%

33cl bottle: This one pours an absolutely clear golden color with a bit of a white head on it. The head drops off rather quickly, despite some fizziness. The aroma is thinner, with some fruit and alcohol notes. Some malty smell also. The taste is rather harsh, although somewhat sweet. There is also alcohol up front. Some malt notes. Overall, this is not offensive, but not very good either. I feel that the only purpose of this brew is to get you trashed. (457 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +64%

The color is very deceptive, looks like an ordinary blonde beer after pouring in the glass. The head is a bit weak and soapy looking. The smell is very weak, with a slight note of citrus, and I can't detect the alcohol in the aroma. The taste is very interesting, in some ways, because it is somewhat unique and different, though not impressive by the standard of other blondes produced by this brewery. They've done a fair job of hiding the 12% alcohol content, but it inevitably comes out in the aftertaste. The expectation of a strong malts or hoppiness is not met, although I like the fact that such a strong beer is not super-sweet like most in this category. The mouthfeel is not bad, pretty smooth and not sticky like the sweet strong beers. The frightening thing is that this beer is rather drinkable, and with 12% things could get pretty heady real fast. Taken with a meal, the alcohol aftertaste will probably be dampened quite a bit, especially with salty foods.

I wouldn't recommend this as an everyday beer, but it is really not that bad, and interesting to see how these brewers (whose other beers I admire quite a lot) managed to come up with a drinkable 12% offering. That's really impressive, and I think one should at least try it to see how masterfully this was done. (1,289 characters)

2.7/5  rDev +33%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Vintage 1997? Best before of 30.03.98

Pours pale, hazy gold with a white head of various sized bubbles.
The head never accounts to much, even with an aggresive pour, but lacework is decent afterwards.
Mostly erratic dots and a few strings of foam endure throughout the glass.
Aromatics are mostly higher alcohols, with a mild nail polish essence and other cleaning solutions.
A very light malt wink lies underneath the brutal, boozy nose, and finishes with a hint of honey.
The mouthfeel is pretty light for the size of the beer, and a bit sticky. Nothing really else is apparent besides the heat that bares down.
The pallet is mildly sweet and almost burning. Pretty straightforward and alcoholic. No spice, yeastiness or hops. Rather one dimensional.
The cleaning solution character comes through as promised, but seems more industrial strength now. Goodie goodie.
A very light malt note along with some residuals is all that can be decerned through the lingering heat of the fusels.
The solvent-like character seemed to build on the pallet, which eventually kept me from finishing the glass.
I was hoping that 10 years would have helped this beer improve somehow, and it is more offensive than I remember.
Maybe another 10? (1,242 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -22.2%

330ml bottle

Pours with a pale gold colour, thin slightly off white head with pretty poor retention, thick cloying body sticks to the side of the glass, some lacing

Smell, massive whiff of strong booze, some malt liquor aroma in the background, hops are no where to be smelt :(

Taste, overpowering sweetness, ridiculous alcohol, boozy mouthfeel, burning alcohol, some thick sticky malt in there too.

Sh*t basically, a malt liquor gone too far, tastes like someone brewed a standard lager recipe then added 6kilos of spray malt just to up the alcohol content.... stay far away from this one (602 characters)

2.5/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A neat looking label. Hesitant because of previous things I'd heard about this one, but gave it a fair, objective shot - and was, pleasantly not poisoned. While far from anything of quality, it managed to keep itself well beyond the realm of under-the-sink cleaning products. Alcohol, at an alarming 12%, stayed surprisingly hidden, or at least nondestructive to the beer. It's real shortcoming would fall in a simple lack of taste and aroma. An acceptable draft at the style, but lacking in the finer touches. Flavour offers little interest or complexity, equally can be said for the aroma. Both, present, but void. It managed to produce some head over the clouded (unhealthy looking) yellow appearance. In the end, I can say with some truth that I didn't mind this one; well, in all honesty I've had worse anyhow... (817 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -49.3%

Thin, white, bubbly garbage. "The most alcoholic pale beer in the world” is also one of the crappiest. I’m glad I bought this one in France at a Super U for a buck. If I had dumped any serious change on it in the states I would have been pissed. You know…I thought it was weird when I got in line and the homeless man in front of me was buying the same beer. That really should have tipped me off to something.

Appearance: Alcohol
Smell: Alcohol
Taste: Alcohol
MF: Alcohol
Drinkability: If you’re a hobo…5. If you’re a BA…1. (538 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I came across this at a food stand here in Milan. Whew...here goes. This French "beer of the demon" could probably collect dust on the shelves in hell, and for good reason. It's that bad.

The beer itself is a deep golden brown color with low carbonation, and a poorly retained head of off white. The smell is of corn syrup and grain alcohol. The taste is of a very thick malt base, without nuance or flavor. Tastes like an overblown bock with some raw vodka or some other distilled spirit added. Mouthfeel is sometimes cloying, and thoroughly dissatisfying. Drinkability? I don't know. For being a get drunk beer (this is obviously it's only purpose as the taste will attest) you'd think they'd put it in a can. The little 8 ounce bottle should not fool you into thinking that you've bought something decent. Really, quite bad. (830 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -47.8%

OK, here's my story. I was in Florence, Italy, last spring, without a clue on how to find any decent Italian beer, and I ran across this in a convenience store. I didn't have my reading glasses, and the label looked interesting. When I got back to the hotel, I finally was able to read 12% ABV, and I knew I was in trouble with this one. 8 months later, I fianlly get the nerve to try it. I should have left it in the hotel room. This is only 8+ ounces, and it's about 6 ounces too many. It looked like a slightly dark version of BMC, had little or no aroma, but it's all about the flavor. The vodka/rocket fuel flavor that burned my mouth on the way down. My (non-beer drinking) friend took a sip after I warned her, and it's a good thing she's still my friend. I think this is the worst beer I've ever had, because it isn't beer (no matter how they made it). The only reason I see for this beer is as a quick way to get drunk. No thank you. (942 characters)

1.23/5  rDev -39.4%

Oh my, I remember that beer from many many years ago. The color wasnt very distinct at all. But, I do remember how it felt! It was an attrocious experience, I took that beer one evening before going out. Poored it, smelled very alcoholic. Tasted mettalic, strong, so strong it had no taste, and it was at the good temperature. It was like having a beer /strong alcohol shooter at once. There many beer with 12% that are sweet, but this one wasnt, it gave me stomachaches for the rest of the day! (495 characters)

1.81/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours a clear gold brew.

Smell is sweet newspaper. Not Good!

Taste is malt + Vodka. No real beer taste here at all.

Mouthfeel is Oakland malt Liquor.

A truly horrid brew! Don't buy!

OK have to ad some words to make this review. THIS IS AWFUL! DANGER WILL ROBINSON! (279 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -29.6%

Golden yellowish color with a white head that does not last and all traces of lace vanish. The smell is all alcohol and the taste is the same. With a strong beer I like a small amount of alcohol in the flavor and nose but this is overpowering with no other real characteristics. The French gave this kind of a thick feel in the mouth with a bit of a burn on the throat. I paid 5€ for three 8oz bottles, definitely not worth it when I can buy Tennents Strong Lager for half of that if the mood for a quick buzz arises. I will probably never buy this beer again. Not Impressed! (587 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -36%

This is the worst beer I've had in years. All Alcohol (12%) and no taste of any kind, but alcohol. I'd be crazy to put this product on the market if I were the Brewer! (167 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +72.4%

This beer is the same name as a one brewed in France, however this bottle has Brasserie Boxer Lausanne, Suisse printed on it. Anyway strong alcohol taste, brewer claims it to be the strongest blonde in the world. Good carbonation, strong malty after taste. Bought in Rome, Italy. (282 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last