Chocolate Oatmeal Stout - Trout River Brewing Company

Trout River Brewing Company
Vermont, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: UnionMade on 02-16-2002

A dark, deliciously roasty brew with hints of chocolate in flavor and aroma. Velvety smooth with a dry, roasted finish. Once a seasonal brew, it's now available all year for our loyal Stout customers!
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros

1.36/5  rDev -54.2%

Looks like a brown ale, not a stout. Smells like some toxic chemical that I'm trying to recall. Tasted like fruit juice and piss, with a chemical aftertaste.

I spat out what I could, but it was enough to give me a headache within minutes.

Maybe, if enough people return this crap to where they bought it, they'll stop making it. THIS IS NOT A STOUT!!! I'll never buy anything from Trout River again. I think there were cleaning chemicals in this batch!

1.6/5  rDev -46.1%

I grew up in VT and high hopes for this beer. It poured almost flat with an anemic dark brown color. The taste is indescribable. It's not even beer. I don't know what it is. I'm 58 y/o, if this is beer, the world is in a lot of trouble. This is the worst beer I have ever had in my life.I dumped most of it down the drain. If this brewery is successful, there is a good chance someone could start brewing with no experience and do better than this. This is no Switchback.

1.62/5  rDev -45.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: has the consistency of a lager as I am pouring it into my glass. Black body with a half finger light tan head that leaves a spot of lacing here or there.

Aroma: oh no, sour, sour mash, sour apple mash, nothing else

Flavors: do I really want to drink this. No, but in the name of science I’ll do it. Yes, it is … sour! Sour Stout cool. But, the is a chocolate oatmeal stout and I was in the mood for a really good one.

Mouthfeel: lively carbonation, a sparkling wine like carbonation during the first half, thin on flavors, no depth, just sour, light tartness on the aftertaste

To the Point: no chocolate, no oatmeal or grains, no stout,

I think it is a cool sour stout.

1.75/5  rDev -41.1%

1.75/5  rDev -41.1%

2.11/5  rDev -29%

12 oz brown bottle with no freshness date, hmm odd purple label. Frothy stout like head that stays around a while, very dark brown colour with noticeable sediment particles floating around.

Mildly acrid burnt aroma, smell of charcoal and powdered carob.

Thin slick smoothness on the tongue, mildly acidic roasted twang with a thinnish malt body and flavour. Hops are light and get lost in the mix, earthy flavour burst middle to end with charred wood and yeast. Faint hints of a watery dark chocolate are a distant echo in the drying finish.

The brew has no gusto, where is the body and where is the flavour? You can tell the oats are there but with the off flavours nothing really comes through correctly. A far cry from a stout let alone a chocolate oatmeal stout.

2.16/5  rDev -27.3%

Pours brown color. Big head. This beer is well carbonated at least, foam fills the glass with a normal pour.

Smells like weak stout. Faint chocolate, bitterness. Taste is rather bland. A strange fruitiness appears as the beer warms. Very thin beer, I mean VERY thin. I really didn't think it was very good.

2.25/5  rDev -24.2%

2.28/5  rDev -23.2%

Appearance: dark brown with weak lacing that disappears rather quickly.

Smell: Roasted malts, oatmeal and chocolate. Small notes of something fruity that I can't quite put my finger on... lemon, perhaps? After a few whiffs I realize that this smells a lot lighter than a lot of stouts I've had.

Taste: something pretty disappointing. Once you get past the obvious malts, oatmeal and chocolate, I swear that this tastes like a wine. Almost tastes sour.

Mouthfeel: not exactly an explosion of amazement. Dry and thin. Very little thickness to this beer.

Overall, I'm a sucker for a stout, so you could say I'm biased. However, any bias that I DO have has very little bearing on my final judgment of this brew. Not crazy about it at all. No stout should ever finish this dry and wine-esque.

2.33/5  rDev -21.5%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Pours dark brown, 1 finger mocha colored bubbly head that quickly dissipates.

S: Very dark roasted malts, char, maybe a little chocolate, slight floral hop.

T: One dimensional. It's pretty much just dark roasted malts and char up front that disappears almost as soon as it hits the pallet. There is a little chocolate in there, but not in a good way. Almost like someone dropped a hershey kiss in it. I've had few beers that were so "meh" on flavor, just about all the flavor disappears in a mater of a second or two and leaves you with a watery flat finish.

M: Medium to high carbonation, very thin body. Tastes/feels more like lightly flavored water than a stout. When I think of what a BMC stout would taste like, this is it.

D: While it's low ABV, low flavor, thin body, you could say that its really drinkable, but the problem is that I simply don't want to drink this.

I probably wouldn't drink this if it were free, let alone pay $2 a bottle. Everything I love about stouts is what is bad about this one. Big flavors? - Fail. Big chocolate flavors? - Fail. Big mouthfeel? - epic fail. When a microbrewery puts out a regular beer like this I wonder how they are still in business. This was a drain pour.

2.34/5  rDev -21.2%

Look - cheap looking bottle, blank cap, very rustic looking, labels fall off on their own from condensation. Pours a dark chocolate brown and is completely impossible to see through in normal lighting. I saw absolutely no head whatsoever, even though it is quite carbonated.

Smell - Sweet chocolate. This is about the only thing good about this beer.

Taste - Heavily carbonated, bitter stout with chocolate or coffee overtones, a bit bland, could have had more of a stout overtone to it, I think they concentrated too much on getting the chocolate taste into the beer.

Mouthfeel - Bitter, not very pleasant and hits all the wrong nerves, could have added something smooth to the end of it.

Drinkability - Not very drinkable at all, almost undrinkable, between the taste and the thickness, I couldn't finish one, and I can tolerate a stout.

Overall would not recommend this unless you only drink stouts and you want to try all of them.

2.35/5  rDev -20.9%

A- Pours a dark brown or black color. Has a small brownish colored head that has very little retention and leaves pretty much no lacing.

S- The good here is some chocolate and roasted malts. The bad is just about everything else picking up some chalky smell.

T- Wow not very good here. Touch of chocolate, roasted malt taste just seems way off and has a terrible after taste.

M- Medium in body, low carbonation almost flat and felt watery in the mouth.

D- Well, just not very good at all. I think I'll pass.

2.37/5  rDev -20.2%

Poured into my rather nice White Grass Touring pint glass. Pours somewhat clear I think, but VERY dark and yummy looking. Then there is the head, not what I think of when I think stouts, Oh well.

Smells of coffee, chocolate and some kind of slight spicyness I can't place directly to some aromatic in my spice rack.

Taste is, um somewhat malty, kinda got that coffee thing going on, There is that spice too, still can't place it.

Over all this comes off more as a weak coffee chocolate porter. I don't regret having two, I just don't plan on grabbing more when I cruise to Vermont.

2.38/5  rDev -19.9%

Pours a dark brown with very little head or lacing. Nose is roasted malts with hints of chocolate and coffee. Taste is similar but quite bland; just the occasional hint of flavor here and there. Mouthfeel is a bit better with a nice creaminess and some body. Not my favorite representation of the style.

2.44/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

12 ounce bottle into snifter

A: pours a dark brown with a small tan head

S: a little chocolate and tart cherries

T: sour, small hints of chocolate and oatmeal but pretty much nonexistent

M: heavily carbonated and kinda thin

O: you should pass on this one, not even close to a chocolate oatmeal stout

2.48/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured into a Foothills signature glass. Pouring right down the center creates a nice half finger tan head that sits on top of dark brown body. No lacing.

On the nose I'm picking up a lactic milk sourness, followed by some roasted malts and possibly a hint of chocolate. Not overly pleasant.

Flavor is faint roasted malts, a bit of sour wateriness and some slightly sticky sweet notes. Fairly watery, not much flavor in general. Seems lacking and a bit off at the same time.

Body is watery with light carbonation. Not much of a body.

Drinkability is kind of low. It tastes a bit like flavored water with a hint of malt thrown in. Slight sourness doesn't fit well like some soured porters do. I'll probably pour out half of the bottle before recycling.

Overall, this is a pretty weak stout in almost every aspect. Plus the flavor seems a bit soured. Maybe Trout River has done better batches of this beer, but this is not one of them. I wouldn't recommend picking up a bottle.

2.5/5  rDev -15.8%

Thanks to clockworkorange for the hookup on this VT brew.

A-Dark brown with the thinnest of a light tan head left no lace.

S-An odd sour/metallic smell a little roast and a faint bit of chocolate malt.

T-Oddly metallic with a bit of roast and a whimper of dark chocolate.

M-Almost light in body where the hell is the oatmeal body boost? This brew has no gusto nor flavour!

D-Blah! Super dull....chocolate, barely! Oatmeal, where? Odd flavours, yes sir! Want another? No thanks! It isn't awful but it sure isn't for me!

Chocolate Oatmeal Stout from Trout River Brewing Company