Edenton Pumpkinhead Ale - Edenton Brewing Company

Edenton Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  ABV ?

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: oberon on 09-27-2004)
Reviews by atsprings:
4.35/5  rDev +7.4%

What surpised me the most about this beer was how smooth it was. I'll admit, I'm still pretty new to true beer appritiation and just one week ago, I had my first ever pumpkin ale (Brooklyn Brewing's Post Rd.) Earlier today I had Blue Moon's Pumkin Ale and then went by Horniblow's Tavern to get a growler refill of threir offering. I must say, the pumpkin flavor is VERY subtle in the initail taste, but resounds very soundly in the aftertaste. I must say, however, is that I was surprised how quickly I downed my first glass. I didn't even realize it until it was gone. I must admit, I'm glad my friend only wanted one glass, that leaves two more for me!

atsprings, Sep 16, 2006
3.9/5  rDev -3.7%

Nice to see Edenton foray into this style one of my favorites,and they did a fine job.Poured well pumpkin orange with not much head but it was in a sample glass,big pumpkin pie spice aromas alot of cinnamon and mace going on.Taste is also highly spiced with a real nice canned pumpkin note that doesnt hit to hard a great spicey aftertaste.A beer that coats the tongue without being to heavy or sweet I hope we get it over here in G-boro this fall.

oberon, Sep 27, 2004
3.38/5  rDev -16.5%

A clear dark orange amber in the glass is topped with a half finger of off white bubbles that melts to a ring of nice lacing.
Aromas are pretty typical for a pumpkin beer....lots of cinnamon, pumpkin pie spices, and definite pumpkin meat smells.
Mouthfeel is rich and creamy. Flavors of sweet amber malt and then baked pumpkin pie.
Slightly powdery in the aftertaste.
Thanks Jimi for the brew.

IntriqKen, Oct 29, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +8.1%

12oz single, 1 of 4 shipped by blackie, aka the darkness

appearance: pours into imperial pint glass, dark copper-amber body, frothy beige head with fair lacing...full bodied pumpkin ale from the looks of it

smell: instantly better than any pumpkin beer i have had this year (does not include cottonwood yet)...much richer aromas than others of the style, big pumpkin pie nose, big on the nutmeg, vanilla, cinnamon, really nice aroma

taste: Why are the 2 best pumpkin beers both made in north carolina? This is a great pumpkin ale that is filling and more suitable to a chilly fall night...pumpkin and spice combination is great, pumpkin pie, rich and fully spiced with nutmeg, ginger, vanilla, cinnamon. Very glad to have 3 more of these in the fridge

mouthfeel: great, rich and full bodied...very much what i want in a pumpkin ale

drinkability: its not a session, its a great dessert beer though

dirtylou, Oct 18, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a deep amber with orange hue and a thin off white head that doesnt stick. Aroma is very nice with notes of pumpkin pie, spices, nutmeg, vanilla and caramel. Taste is very balanced, big malty character of toasted bread and light caramel as well as some vanilla and spices and a slight floral hops presence. A nice, drinkable pumpkin beer...yet another good offering from edenton

silver0rlead, Oct 25, 2005
4.13/5  rDev +2%

Edition 2005

appearance: A moderately agressive pour creates a .25" off-white head, the bulk of which slowly dissipates, leaving a ring of carbonation around the glass and a thin island of bubbles. Some moderate lacing is left behind after each sip. A nice head is easily roused by twirling the glass. Color is a light to medium amber with plenty of orange hues.

smell: Initial impression of the smell is pumpkin pie spice, with a blend weighted heavily toward nutmeg. Other spices, the most dominant in my nose cinnamon, are also present. Maybe some slight hints of pumpkin, as it warms I can detect this smell more easily. I can also smell some malt in there, which is a good thing, as its sweet smell provides good company for the spices. Spicy, clean, ever so slightly floral hops bring some balance to the sweet malt.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is slightly lower than medium, seems to be about perfect. The body of the beer is on the lighter end of the medium range, and a very slight slickness is left on the tongue after swallowing.

taste: The sweet, amber malt and pumpkin pie spices are the first flavors I pick up. They are pretty well balanced, it seems, and blend together really well. Again, the nutmeg seems to be the dominant spice. There is a slight flavor, maybe esters, that I don't care for. The bittering hops may be a little high (for a pumpkin ale, that is), but only very slightly. The astringency is pretty high. The finish is mainly of the hop bitterness, that lasts well into the finish, and a little spice aftertaste. There seems to be a little ethanol evident as well.

drinkability: Pretty good, but I'd have to limit my self to about two of these, before I started getting tired of them. That's good enough for a pumpkin ale in my book. The aroma is absolutely killer, and the flavor carries the same complexity to a degree, but I'd like to see a little more.

Update: I tried a bottle of this beer in the second week of December that I had kept very cold, and it was still going strong.

Edition 2006: I swear this stuff got better this year, definately buying a case. Seems to be a little darker...deep amber this year. Kicked drinkability up to 4.0.

blackie, Oct 22, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +5.7%

Sampled a pint for $2.50 at Horiblow's Tavern atop the brewery. Came to me with very little head and a deep orange/ amber color. Nice pumpkin spice and vanilla? smell. A well balanced pumpkin ale, nice malt, pumkin and spice taste with a smooth finish. Major lacing as I finished my pint. Somewhat weak mouthfeel. Best pumpkin I have had so far this year, so I ordered another, thank you Edenton for being local and great.

buckiflyer, Sep 29, 2005
4.05/5  rDev 0%

This beer pours strong into my pint glass, with a dark amber color, clear body and deteriorating but still decent off white head. Nose is particularlly impressive, with loads of sweet cinammon and real hits of pumpkin in every whiff. Lets see if this can carry over to the taste itself.

Heavy malt and sweetness but also very tasty. The pumpkin flavors are present and this is an easy drinking brew and easily one of the besy of the style I've ever tried. I wish we knew the abv because alcohol doesn't register in the taste at all, which is a plus. Texture is the one thing holding this beer back, with the bubbles sizzling in your mouth as you sip. Still, a nice effort from Edenton.

daliandragon, Oct 29, 2006
3.95/5  rDev -2.5%

This is a nice version of a pumpkin ale.

Pours a very pretty orange/amber/pumpkin color into a pint glass. Not a huge head, but it leaves a creamy topping.

Aromas are of pumpkin and some spices, but the spices are not overpowering as in some pumpkin ales I've tried. This beer smells more like a pumpkin ale w/spice to enhance the flavor, versus those versions that are mostly spice with little flavor. I smell cinnamon, cloves, allspice and hints of vanilla.

Flavor is very similar to smell. Much more pumpkiny and malty than other pumpkin ales. This is nice as the spice doesn't overpower the beer, but rather enhances the flavor.

Mouthfeel is a little thin, but I don't think the ABV is very high on this so it is to be expected. Not overly carbonated. Crisp, dry finish with a hint of a pumpkin aftertaste.

Overall, this is a very drinkable version of a pumpkin ale. You could easily have several of these in one sitting. Ranks with Cottonwood as one of my favorite pumpkin ales. Nicely done, Edenton!

doppelmeup, Oct 18, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +7.4%

Served from a 12oz bottle in a pint glass at just above fridge temperature.

A - Slightly hazed burnt apricot color with honey gold highlights. White, foamy head rises to about 1/2 inch and hangs. Lacing is sparse, save the thick ring that sticks to the glass with each sip. A wispy cloud of head is all that remains for most of the beer. Actually, it's not too bad for this style.

S - Molasses and hony sweet maltiness with a big pumpkin-gourd profile and a good dash of spices like cinnamon and clove. A touch of lemony citrus also and... is my mind deceiving me? Is there a hint of autumn leaves? Nice blend.

T - Pumpkin pie, I tell you! Fresh baked, and chilled in the freezer. Sweet in the front with a nice, organic character of squashy-pumpkin, accented by a restrained blend of typical pumpkin pie spices, especially cinnamon, nutmeg and clove. Nice hoppiness in the finish that helps counter the inherent tartness. Aftertaste is autumnal and delicious.

M - Nice presence; not too watery and not too thick. Tingle on the tongue that precedes a slight growth that turns it to a rolling, pleasurable mouthful with a soft body. Swallows with just enough volume to get all the nooks in the throat. Very nice!

D - After a ton of letdowns, I finally found another superb pumpkin ale to stand proudly with Smuttynose, Weyerbacher and Cottonwood. Full pumpkin backbone with fantastic balance of malt and hops, along with a carefully measured dose of spices. Excellently drinkable. Looks like I'll have to be setting up another Tarheels trade for this fall.

EPseja, Mar 06, 2007
4.18/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy burnt orange body with a tiny head that leaves some lacing

Smell: Pumpkin pie with all the spices as well as a whiff of vanilla and caramel

Taste: Starts out rather understated, with subtle caramel malt flavors that build along with the pumpkin and spices into the aftertaste; a touch of bitterness on the finish brings a nice complement

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a nice level of carbonation

Drinkability: Right up there with Cottonwood vying for the 1-2 slot among my favorite pumpkin ales; nice to see the NC brews dominating this category in my personal ratings

brentk56, Nov 26, 2005
3.38/5  rDev -16.5%

Thanks to both blackie and dopplemeup for the trades.

A golen-amber body with a shallow white head that dwindled down to nothingness within a few minutes. A nice aroma of pumpkin and spices. Body is a little thin, maybe a bit watered down, but this does not detract from the taste. The usual suspects are all present: spices and pumpkin meat. Some pumpkin remains on the palate for a little while. A solid, drinkable brew.

jhammerly, Oct 31, 2006
3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

The beer poured into the glass crystal clear deep copper/amber with an off-white and low head which lasted to lace the glass.

The aroma was pumpkin pie spice with a bready and biscuity aroma. Clove and cinnamon spice seemed to be most prevalent in the aroma.

The flavor was caramely and malty with a light vanilla. The spices that were ever so present in the aroma were muted at best in the flavor. The beer was bitter which was a welcomed addition, but more spice complexity was expected.

The finish was dry with a lasting clove and cinnamon spice in the aftertaste. The body was medium. A bit too much caramel and a bit too much bittering. The levels could remain the same with more spice punch to the flavor.

12 ounce bottle.

I never rated this one last year, and it really was very good. Finally grabbed the last three bottles of this years batch at a local store yesterday. This one should not be long in the tooth, but it seems that the flavor spice was missing.

GCBrewingCo, Nov 27, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +4.2%

Glowing pumpkin rouge with a tightly knit cap of oatmeal hued head that hangs on nicely.

Aroma is nice, the ample caramel and brown sugar malt comes through the perfect amount of warming Autumn spice. There are hints of toasted wood and spicey hops.

The flavor is great, it tastes very fresh compared the the bottles I've had in the past. The spices are not overwhelming, which is the downfall of many a Pumpkin Ale. A generous malt entry of caramel and brown sugared bread is blessed by sweet cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, and subtle vanilla bean. The flavor of genuine pumpkin comes through. The finish is perfectly hopped with notes of gentle pine and grassy spice. Very good, I wonder if they tweaked the recipe or if it's just very fresh.

Body is medium, creamy, and smooth. Huge drinkability, makes me wish I had a slice of pie to go with it.

AlexJ, Oct 04, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +7.4%

Thanks to doppelmeup for the sample!

Presentation: 12oz bottle, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: A dark, brownish orange. Very nice color. Thin head dwindled to a ring of lace that left just a bit on the sides of the glass.

Aroma: The sweet malt pairs so well with the pumpkin and spices to make for the nicest smelling pumpkin ale I've had up until this rating.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Very smooth, medium bodied with light carbonation. The malt sweetness hits first with a very nice, light caramel flavor and a good ale fruitiness that blends very well with the flavor of pumpkin. The spices are perfectly done in this brew. Not too much of the strong ones, such as nutmeg or clove (See Buffalo Bill's Nutmeg Ale.. err Pumpkin Ale). All in all, it's like the perfect blend of pumpkin pie and a good ale. It was perfect on a nice, cool November day.

Notes: Of the several pumpkin ales I've sampled this year, this is easily one of the best. I could drink these all day. I'm saving one for Thanksgiving. I really like this beer.

jdoolin, Nov 12, 2006