Stiegl Gaudi Radler Shandy (Lemon) - Stieglbrauerei zu Salzburg GmbH

Stiegl Gaudi Radler Shandy (Lemon)Stiegl Gaudi Radler Shandy (Lemon)

Stieglbrauerei zu Salzburg GmbH visit their website
Austria

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  2.50% ABV

(Beer added by: moulefrite on 07-30-2003)
Reviews by Drinkerofales:
Drinkerofales

3.03/5  rDev -9%

I am hoping that I am reviewing the right beer, as the picture on my bottle is different, but listed as "Lemon", made with lemon soda.

The soda, err, I mean beer is clear pale yellow, headed toward colorless with this kind of clarity. A huge white head dissipates quickly to leave tons of thin lacing.

Smell is dirty malts, and a lemon citrus, at least it is what it says it is.

Taste is closer to soda than beer. Very lemony sweet, which gains some tartness on the finish. There might be some malts in there, but the lemonade taste is quite overpowering.

Feels thin and very fizzy. For this combo however, it's very hard to drink. The strangely crisp texture pulls at my mouth, and makes it a little uncomfortable to drink.

Uh, never again. Not only is this hard to drink, but it gave me a stomach ache from all the bubbles, like drinking too much soda. I might have drank this a little slower to avoid that, but I have a feeling this would get worse as it warms, but I could be wrong on both accounts.

DOA

07-04-2012 20:03:48 | More by Drinkerofales
oberon

2.98/5  rDev -10.5%

My first radler,I should have bought this during the summer it would have been much more fitting.Poured into a pilsner glass a clear sprtizy lemon yellow with large fizzy white head that was gone quickly.Lemon lime pop and toasted cereal grain aromas wich really didn't amount to much.Tasted like 7UP with lighter lager toasted grain flavors in the back end,to me more pop than beer tasting.Fizzy in the mouth wich is a turn off but I could drink a few of these while out grilling in the summer,my wife loved it.

12-15-2011 19:40:55 | More by oberon
alienlifeforcecube

3.75/5  rDev +12.6%

05-17-2013 01:49:36 | More by alienlifeforcecube
NicholasCasber

Iowa

1.73/5  rDev -48%

A: This beer, when poured, looks very light and pale, almost a sun-washed gold. Head, once poured was fairly large, about an inch to an inch in a half on a straight pour, however, it settled incredibly fast.

S: Smells just like it should, with an overwhelming amount of lemon.

T: I do not drink soda, I drink beer, I was intrigued by the introduction to lemon soda, in hopes that it would brighten, without over-sweetening my beer, this wasn't the case. The beer, if I could taste any in there was more of a side note than the main character, and the lemon stole the show.

M: Since this is brewed with lemon soda and is "50% Stiegl-Beer and 50% Lemon-Soda" made the drink overly syrupy in my mouth and reminded me of a bad cough medicine. The carbonation at the beginning of the taste was slightly overwhelming.

D: This beer is not something that I'd suggest to my friends, nor is it something that I'd buy again.

Overall, interesting attempt at something slightly different, but overall a failure in my mind. I guess I'll just stick to good old regular Stiegl next time I'm in the mood for an Austrian brewed beer. Cheers.

12-08-2009 19:00:46 | More by NicholasCasber
possumteeth

01-28-2014 15:10:13 | More by possumteeth
rhoadsrage

3.2/5  rDev -3.9%

(Served in a weizen glass)

A-This beer pours a very light pale yellow clear body with a strong carbonation of big bubbles. There is a rocky active white head on top.

S- The soft smell of lemons is balanced with the nose of German hop bitterness and a hint of pale malt.

T- This beer has a very light taste with a sweet lemon finish. There is definitely some soda pop sweetness in the finish. There is a faint hint of German hops in the finish but it is a compliment to the lemon not the other way around.

M- The mouthfeel is medium with a fizz from the strong carbonation

D-This beer has a nice balanced nose but the taste is really one sided. It’s all lemon soda. If I want to drink pop this would be my choice but if I want to drink a light refreshing beer this would not be it. The sweetness of the soda doesn't really quench my thirst and it hides the flavor of any malt and barely lets the hop thru.

07-10-2005 02:41:50 | More by rhoadsrage
richkrull

Wisconsin

11-13-2013 03:26:17 | More by richkrull
JMS1512

05-29-2013 21:04:58 | More by JMS1512
Brenden

3.2/5  rDev -3.9%

THis is a 50/50 mix of pilsener and lemon soda. It might not be something you'd think of as a beer, but for what it is it's certainly done correctly.

It's a clear amber color with a light head that leaves minimal lacing.
The smell is all lemon soda with some wheat and a hops and malt profile that is more detectable than most seem to think.
The taste follows suit. It's sweet and very much like a soda, but the pilsener character and hops/malt profiles are there. Anyone who says they can't detect them may need to try again or work on developing that palate some more. Anyway, it's not that difficult to detect. I think people just don't like their beer mixed.
The mouthfeel is good and crisp, though in a beer I don't enjoy soda-like carbonation.
It's great for what it is: a beer mixed with lemon soda. Of course it's more like soda that you'd like in a beer. The pilsener malt, hops and wheat are clean, fresh and natural. That being said, it is more of a beer for people who don't like beer.

05-08-2009 17:32:23 | More by Brenden
hepcat

05-13-2013 00:59:10 | More by hepcat
mdaschaf

Washington

3.29/5  rDev -1.2%

Having had the grapefruit version, I decided to grab this when I saw it at the store.

A: Pours a clear golden color with a small white head on top, which reduces to a thin ring on top.

S: Mostly lemon and some sprite on the aroma.

T: Pretty similar to how it smells. Growing on me as at warms up a little bit.

M: Light to medium bodied, pretty easy drinking.

O: Its not bad, but I much prefer the grapefruit version. Probably won't grab this one again.

07-01-2013 03:27:00 | More by mdaschaf
tjsdomer2

3.73/5  rDev +12%

Appearance: Good white foam that go aways right away. Very, very pale yellow with great carbonation. Decent lacing as well.

Smell: Wonderful sour lemons with a hint of floral hops as well. This stuff fills the room with the smell. Excellent!

Taste/Mouthfeel: Sweet lemonade and some beer flavor. I'm a bit disappointed since the smell really impressed me. The mouthfeel also fizzles out. It's a bit too thick because I think the lemonade portion of this dominates and leaves a sticky feeling in your mouth.

Drinkability: Wouldn't be surprised if kids sell this at lemonade stands in the United States, let alone Austria.

Overall: Great promising initially, but disappointing in several aspects. That said, it is easy to drink this and definitely does not gross me out.

10-18-2010 22:51:57 | More by tjsdomer2
tempest

3.05/5  rDev -8.4%

Thanks to Sue and Meg for sharing their case of Shandy. This is an old sub-style (lemonade+beer) I've wanted to try for a while. This one however, is more just an ultra-light lager with lemon syrup added. Instead of juice, the lemon tastes more like Lemon Drops and candy. The light lager is pleasant and clean, but this beer is too sweet. However, if you dig the thicker, sweeter fruit lambics, this might be up your alley.

10-21-2009 21:25:23 | More by tempest
cliff1066

12-09-2012 20:23:35 | More by cliff1066
RomaniIteDomum

3.3/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours like watery lemonade. Some laz carbonation and a loosely associated group of bubbles at the top. Head, perhaps? Although it's not nice to look at, it's what I expected from a 1/2 beer and 1/2 lemon soda concoction. More carbonation would be nice.

Smells like "Euro Light Lager" with lemons. Skunk, lemons, corn, more lemons. I quite enjoy the lemons, though.

Ok, it's not bad. It's not great, but it's not bad. It tastes like a generic Euro macro lager as evidenced by the smell, but with a great lemony kick. I must admit that I am a huge fan of lemon soda to begin with and it seems like a great way to make a beer I'm not fond of quite drinkable and, dare I say?, refreshing.

Ok, not much going on in the mouth. Feels like watery lemonade. It could use more carbonation.

In the end this is actually pretty drinkable, but only as either a substitute for actual soda water or salvation from inferior alternatives. I would very happily take this over most BMC beers.

03-16-2010 04:17:39 | More by RomaniIteDomum
freewill35

Indiana

3.5/5  rDev +5.1%

10-03-2012 01:16:50 | More by freewill35
DrunkMcDermott

2.55/5  rDev -23.4%

From Whole Foods, Chicago. Well, what did I expect? It’s Sprite with beer in it. I’m told the mixture is popular in the Germanic areas, where it’s sometimes called "bicyclist’s beer." The lemon soda flavor pretty much overwhelmed any substantial beer flavor. There is definitely beer in the aroma, though, but it's hard to tell just what kind. It also has a bit of a saccharine taste that’s off putting. Mixing in soda would make this a low-alcohol brew, I suppose, so it certainly does the job it’s advertised for.

07-19-2005 20:05:19 | More by DrunkMcDermott
GuruDel

3.38/5  rDev +1.5%

.5L poured into a tulip and split 3 ways.

A: Clear yellow fizzy. Those are the three words to explain this one, nice bubbly head.

S: This smells like lemon lime soda, sweet and lemony.

T: This was really refreshing inbetween a bunch of other really big beers, clean crisp lemon taste with absolutely no alcohol (and there really isnt much to be expected).

M: lively carbonation served a great purpose here, it released lots of flavor and helped to clean my pallate.

O: This is a fun beer for a hot day or when you want something sweet and easy to drink. I will definitely drink again.

04-06-2011 13:52:01 | More by GuruDel
HalfFull

2.98/5  rDev -10.5%

Pours a clear and pale straw into a wine glass from a 500 ml. bottle. Offers decent retention of a half inch of white foam and keeps a light ring.

Smell is light and of lemon and a touch of grain. Taste is overwhelmed by the lemon factor as lemon trumps beer in this case. Feel is smooth and light and quite befitting of the concept yet the concept is a bit odd. Drinks easily and is quite refreshing and offers a relatively full feel given the robust carbonation. Interesting and refreshing....Great lunch beer with a salad and when a workout is in order..Otherwise a bit odd.

05-20-2010 06:51:46 | More by HalfFull
GoodFoodsCoop

Kentucky

2.5/5  rDev -24.9%

08-13-2012 15:55:42 | More by GoodFoodsCoop
morimech

3.28/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours a very pale straw color with a thin white head that settles quickly to a thin skin of suds. Virtually zero lacing is left on the glass. The aroma is a combination of a grainy pilsner with a touch of lemon. Actually has an interesting aroma. Very light beer flavor with a sweet lemon finish. A bit cloying in the finish but thankfully does not last long. One bottle is refreshing but more than that and it would get old quick. Light body with fizzy carbonation. I would drink this over Leinenkugels's fruity beers.

07-09-2009 21:43:10 | More by morimech
beersdmf17

3.5/5  rDev +5.1%

06-22-2014 23:04:26 | More by beersdmf17
emerge077

3.25/5  rDev -2.4%

Pale gold with fizzy carbonation. Foam looks a little like soap bubbles, and dwindles to nothing.

Faint grain aroma, not much lemon or soda to speak of.

Sweet spritzy lemon soda similar to Italian Limonciata soda. There was a hint of pilsner malt in the back. Low acidity from the soda, sweet aftertaste. Well carbonated, light bodied. Ok to try on a summer's afternoon, but ultimately too boring to return to. The base beer lacked flavor. I actually preferred the hefe wheat base of Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy.

08-16-2008 19:17:04 | More by emerge077
TruePerception

3.75/5  rDev +12.6%

09-01-2013 18:29:16 | More by TruePerception
cabsandking

3.63/5  rDev +9%

Pours a very clear pale golden with a white frothy cap reducing to some surface lacing. Zesty lemon soda aroma is dominant with some floral, earthy hops and faint grains poking through. The taste is similar to Sprite flavor but actually much better real lemon used, not tart. Lightly toasted grains and cereal show up in the middle complimenting the lemon soda well and then a little a slight hop flavor arrives. Sweetness of simple syrup and maybe honey, refreshingly pleasant. Light body and a good beer texture turned out well. Soft lemon notes coat the tongue on an otherwise clean finish. Pretty good for what its worth but I was wanting something more beer than soda as the beer used seemed to be light to begin with.

04-24-2007 17:55:10 | More by cabsandking