Stiegl Gaudi Radler Shandy (Lemon) - Stieglbrauerei zu Salzburg GmbH

Stiegl Gaudi Radler Shandy (Lemon)Stiegl Gaudi Radler Shandy (Lemon)

Stieglbrauerei zu Salzburg GmbH visit their website
Austria

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  2.50% ABV

Beer added by: moulefrite on 07-30-2003

to view more.
Ratings: 179 | Reviews: 100
Reviews by gpogo:
3.09/5  rDev -6.9%

A- Clear pale gold, small white head dissipating to almost nothing. No lacing

A- Lemony

T- Woah! Starts out with a crazy lemon taste and follows up with a malty taste. No alcohol taste(especially at 2.5%) are you sure this isn't a soda?

M- Light with low carbonation

D- If the taste was better I could easily pack these away, but I've had better radlers than this. I'd recommend at least giving it a try once, good on hot days...especially if you are biking.

2.98/5  rDev -10.2%

My first radler,I should have bought this during the summer it would have been much more fitting.Poured into a pilsner glass a clear sprtizy lemon yellow with large fizzy white head that was gone quickly.Lemon lime pop and toasted cereal grain aromas wich really didn't amount to much.Tasted like 7UP with lighter lager toasted grain flavors in the back end,to me more pop than beer tasting.Fizzy in the mouth wich is a turn off but I could drink a few of these while out grilling in the summer,my wife loved it.

1.79/5  rDev -46.1%

A: This beer, when poured, looks very light and pale, almost a sun-washed gold. Head, once poured was fairly large, about an inch to an inch in a half on a straight pour, however, it settled incredibly fast.

S: Smells just like it should, with an overwhelming amount of lemon.

T: I do not drink soda, I drink beer, I was intrigued by the introduction to lemon soda, in hopes that it would brighten, without over-sweetening my beer, this wasn't the case. The beer, if I could taste any in there was more of a side note than the main character, and the lemon stole the show.

M: Since this is brewed with lemon soda and is "50% Stiegl-Beer and 50% Lemon-Soda" made the drink overly syrupy in my mouth and reminded me of a bad cough medicine. The carbonation at the beginning of the taste was slightly overwhelming.

D: This beer is not something that I'd suggest to my friends, nor is it something that I'd buy again.

Overall, interesting attempt at something slightly different, but overall a failure in my mind. I guess I'll just stick to good old regular Stiegl next time I'm in the mood for an Austrian brewed beer. Cheers.

3.24/5  rDev -2.4%

(Served in a weizen glass)

A-This beer pours a very light pale yellow clear body with a strong carbonation of big bubbles. There is a rocky active white head on top.

S- The soft smell of lemons is balanced with the nose of German hop bitterness and a hint of pale malt.

T- This beer has a very light taste with a sweet lemon finish. There is definitely some soda pop sweetness in the finish. There is a faint hint of German hops in the finish but it is a compliment to the lemon not the other way around.

M- The mouthfeel is medium with a fizz from the strong carbonation

D-This beer has a nice balanced nose but the taste is really one sided. It’s all lemon soda. If I want to drink pop this would be my choice but if I want to drink a light refreshing beer this would not be it. The sweetness of the soda doesn't really quench my thirst and it hides the flavor of any malt and barely lets the hop thru.

3.2/5  rDev -3.6%

THis is a 50/50 mix of pilsener and lemon soda. It might not be something you'd think of as a beer, but for what it is it's certainly done correctly.

It's a clear amber color with a light head that leaves minimal lacing.
The smell is all lemon soda with some wheat and a hops and malt profile that is more detectable than most seem to think.
The taste follows suit. It's sweet and very much like a soda, but the pilsener character and hops/malt profiles are there. Anyone who says they can't detect them may need to try again or work on developing that palate some more. Anyway, it's not that difficult to detect. I think people just don't like their beer mixed.
The mouthfeel is good and crisp, though in a beer I don't enjoy soda-like carbonation.
It's great for what it is: a beer mixed with lemon soda. Of course it's more like soda that you'd like in a beer. The pilsener malt, hops and wheat are clean, fresh and natural. That being said, it is more of a beer for people who don't like beer.

3.29/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Having had the grapefruit version, I decided to grab this when I saw it at the store.

A: Pours a clear golden color with a small white head on top, which reduces to a thin ring on top.

S: Mostly lemon and some sprite on the aroma.

T: Pretty similar to how it smells. Growing on me as at warms up a little bit.

M: Light to medium bodied, pretty easy drinking.

O: Its not bad, but I much prefer the grapefruit version. Probably won't grab this one again.

3.77/5  rDev +13.6%

Appearance: Good white foam that go aways right away. Very, very pale yellow with great carbonation. Decent lacing as well.

Smell: Wonderful sour lemons with a hint of floral hops as well. This stuff fills the room with the smell. Excellent!

Taste/Mouthfeel: Sweet lemonade and some beer flavor. I'm a bit disappointed since the smell really impressed me. The mouthfeel also fizzles out. It's a bit too thick because I think the lemonade portion of this dominates and leaves a sticky feeling in your mouth.

Drinkability: Wouldn't be surprised if kids sell this at lemonade stands in the United States, let alone Austria.

Overall: Great promising initially, but disappointing in several aspects. That said, it is easy to drink this and definitely does not gross me out.

3.07/5  rDev -7.5%

Thanks to Sue and Meg for sharing their case of Shandy. This is an old sub-style (lemonade+beer) I've wanted to try for a while. This one however, is more just an ultra-light lager with lemon syrup added. Instead of juice, the lemon tastes more like Lemon Drops and candy. The light lager is pleasant and clean, but this beer is too sweet. However, if you dig the thicker, sweeter fruit lambics, this might be up your alley.

3.27/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours like watery lemonade. Some laz carbonation and a loosely associated group of bubbles at the top. Head, perhaps? Although it's not nice to look at, it's what I expected from a 1/2 beer and 1/2 lemon soda concoction. More carbonation would be nice.

Smells like "Euro Light Lager" with lemons. Skunk, lemons, corn, more lemons. I quite enjoy the lemons, though.

Ok, it's not bad. It's not great, but it's not bad. It tastes like a generic Euro macro lager as evidenced by the smell, but with a great lemony kick. I must admit that I am a huge fan of lemon soda to begin with and it seems like a great way to make a beer I'm not fond of quite drinkable and, dare I say?, refreshing.

Ok, not much going on in the mouth. Feels like watery lemonade. It could use more carbonation.

In the end this is actually pretty drinkable, but only as either a substitute for actual soda water or salvation from inferior alternatives. I would very happily take this over most BMC beers.

2.6/5  rDev -21.7%

From Whole Foods, Chicago. Well, what did I expect? It’s Sprite with beer in it. I’m told the mixture is popular in the Germanic areas, where it’s sometimes called "bicyclist’s beer." The lemon soda flavor pretty much overwhelmed any substantial beer flavor. There is definitely beer in the aroma, though, but it's hard to tell just what kind. It also has a bit of a saccharine taste that’s off putting. Mixing in soda would make this a low-alcohol brew, I suppose, so it certainly does the job it’s advertised for.

3.35/5  rDev +0.9%

.5L poured into a tulip and split 3 ways.

A: Clear yellow fizzy. Those are the three words to explain this one, nice bubbly head.

S: This smells like lemon lime soda, sweet and lemony.

T: This was really refreshing inbetween a bunch of other really big beers, clean crisp lemon taste with absolutely no alcohol (and there really isnt much to be expected).

M: lively carbonation served a great purpose here, it released lots of flavor and helped to clean my pallate.

O: This is a fun beer for a hot day or when you want something sweet and easy to drink. I will definitely drink again.

2.99/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours a clear and pale straw into a wine glass from a 500 ml. bottle. Offers decent retention of a half inch of white foam and keeps a light ring.

Smell is light and of lemon and a touch of grain. Taste is overwhelmed by the lemon factor as lemon trumps beer in this case. Feel is smooth and light and quite befitting of the concept yet the concept is a bit odd. Drinks easily and is quite refreshing and offers a relatively full feel given the robust carbonation. Interesting and refreshing....Great lunch beer with a salad and when a workout is in order..Otherwise a bit odd.

3.24/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a very pale straw color with a thin white head that settles quickly to a thin skin of suds. Virtually zero lacing is left on the glass. The aroma is a combination of a grainy pilsner with a touch of lemon. Actually has an interesting aroma. Very light beer flavor with a sweet lemon finish. A bit cloying in the finish but thankfully does not last long. One bottle is refreshing but more than that and it would get old quick. Light body with fizzy carbonation. I would drink this over Leinenkugels's fruity beers.

3.25/5  rDev -2.1%

Pale gold with fizzy carbonation. Foam looks a little like soap bubbles, and dwindles to nothing.

Faint grain aroma, not much lemon or soda to speak of.

Sweet spritzy lemon soda similar to Italian Limonciata soda. There was a hint of pilsner malt in the back. Low acidity from the soda, sweet aftertaste. Well carbonated, light bodied. Ok to try on a summer's afternoon, but ultimately too boring to return to. The base beer lacked flavor. I actually preferred the hefe wheat base of Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy.

3.6/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a very clear pale golden with a white frothy cap reducing to some surface lacing. Zesty lemon soda aroma is dominant with some floral, earthy hops and faint grains poking through. The taste is similar to Sprite flavor but actually much better real lemon used, not tart. Lightly toasted grains and cereal show up in the middle complimenting the lemon soda well and then a little a slight hop flavor arrives. Sweetness of simple syrup and maybe honey, refreshingly pleasant. Light body and a good beer texture turned out well. Soft lemon notes coat the tongue on an otherwise clean finish. Pretty good for what its worth but I was wanting something more beer than soda as the beer used seemed to be light to begin with.

3.22/5  rDev -3%

Very light, clear gold with a thin white head that dissipates quickly. Getting lots of Sprite and perhaps a touch of grainy malt. Definitely more soda then beer. Taste is similarly soda-forward, and tastes more like a ginger ale then beer. Pretty refreshing, actually. Mouthfeel is light and crisp, with a thin body and good, spritzy carbonation. NIce Summertime brew, but you have to be in the mood I suppose.

3.45/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I poured into a pint glass to a half inch of head that was gone rather quickly. It is very pale and crystal clear. It smells sweet with a hint of beer fragrance. It tastes better than it smells although it is pretty sweet. It's like a Coors Light with sugar and lemon added. It is refreshing.

3.8/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured into a Dogfish signature snifter. The number 11011 is on the back label which I hope doesn't translate to 1/10/11 since the ABV is the lowest I've ever seen and thus wouldn't hold up for even close to a year.

A- Pours a gold color with a full finger's worth of head that has trouble retaining before retiring to an 1/8 inch ring around the glass's edge and medium-sized bubbles on the surface. Not bad lacing for a beer mixed with soda.

S- Highly citric lemon blast followed by some malt. Odd combination.

T- Interesting. Not a lot of kick, but certainly tasty if you like soda. A very sweet, nearly cloying, lemon flavor gives way to a light malt finish. Literally tastes like lemon soda mixed with beer but in a good way.

M- The fact that the beer half is a lager accentuates the soda's crispness. Medium carbonation.

O- I am pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't have bought this were it not for my fellow employee at Total Wine & More who recommended it when I asked if shandies were any good. Apparently they are. Not recommended for a heavy night of drinking but rather for a refreshing beverage to drink on the beach. And this whole time I thought the Europeans were insane for mixing beer and soda. Don't knock it 'til ya try it!

3.33/5  rDev +0.3%

16.9 fl oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on or freshness date present. Found this at the local beer store, and since I enjoyed the Stiegl Radler Grapefruit, and also the Radler Warka, I figured this would be a good way to go. My bottle is a little different than the one pictured and is labeled simply as Salzburger Stiegl Radler Lemon.

Poured into a Blue Sky Wineyard miniature wine glass.

A - Pours two fingers of quickly dying fizzing bone white foam for a head. Body is a pale clear straw yellow color.

S - Smell is pretty bland: some lemonade, white sugar, honey, and some slight honeyed malt and yeast "beer" smell in the end.

T - Taste follows the nose, only is more exciting. Crisp carbonation, strong honey presence, lemon-lime soda, and light sugary lemonade. Aftertaste reminds me of a lemonhead candy, and rings of some artificiality, which is a slight let down. No actual "beer" taste present, aside from the honeyed malt.

M - Feel is crisp & clean, with some lingering tartness and some honey sweetness.

Overall, highly drinkable, but not as good as the other two I mentioned above. Out of the three radlers I've had so far, this one has been the least impressive. Not as tart and sour as I would have liked, and too much honeyed sweetness. I look forward to drinking the base beer, Stiegl Goldbräu, which I have a bottle of. Still, this is exceptionally light and drinkable on a hot summer day; I will have no trouble finishing this bottle.

Stiegl Radler Lemon ---3.5/5

1.81/5  rDev -45.5%

500 mL bottle without a freshness date. Pours an uber-light yellow color like a witbier with clarity. Frothy head recedes slowly and leaves plenty of lacing on the glass.

Nose is disappointingly only of lemonade. I cannot detect even the slightest hint of malts, hops or yeast. More akin to a lemon meringue pie.

Wow, much sweeter than I was expecting. I was thinking maybe a lighter lager with some of the nice puckering sourness of a fresh lemon. Nice tangy berlinerweiss it is not! Instead, this tastes like the bastard offspring of a drunken affair between Natural Light and a box of Lemonhead candies. I do not like this in a box, or with a fox. Rarely do I leave a beer behind, but this wounded soldier needs to be put to rest.

3.31/5  rDev -0.3%

500mL bottle poured into a Shaker pint glass. Batch stamp: 24312

Appearance: Clear pale gold. Barest thin white head. No lacing.

Smell: Hint of sweet lemons with an equal hint of herbal hops.

Taste: Lemon soda up front, moving into a crisp lager middle with a slow lingering noble hop (but muted) finish. Light and refreshing, but a bit too sweet.

Mouthfeel: Soda-like, but with a bit more thickness and not quite as fizzy.

Overall / Drinkability: Very easy to drink, but I want something more beery. This beer is exactly what it describes itself to be - a 50/50 blend of lemon soda and German (Austrian in this case) lager. I think it would be great when outside in the heat, but otherwise not my thing.

3.3/5  rDev -0.6%

Bought this at Knightly Spirits in Orlando on our vacation in September.

Me and my wife shared a bottle and paired it with a homemade garden quiche with pancetta.

Poured from a 16.9oz. bottle.

Appearance: Pale, yellow gold with an average white head.

Smell: Pale citrus and lemon.

Taste: A bit zesty, light and definitely different. My wife tastes some buckwheat honey in it. Me? A bit of sweet lemon but more soda-like than anything.

Mouthfeel: A bit lacking after the lemon not much else. A little bit of honey in the background. Pretty much a one note beverage.

Drinkability: Very easy to drink. I would have another from time to time but not too often.

Overall: Definitely a change of pace and i kind of liked it though i wouldn't rush to go out to buy more. It went really well with the quiche.

3.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Snagged a bottle of this for a buck. Watered down lager eh? Hope it at least has a lemon twist

A - Bright clear pee yellow with a full inch of head that seems to be fizzing out rather quickly.

S - Has a bit of hops and yeast but mostly smells of lemon zest with a bit of sprite soda.

T - Yet it drinks more like a soda with lemon leading into a somewhat sugary base and some malts in the back. Little to no hops either man it's what I guess people want beer and lemonade.

M - Light, crisp, and somewhat like beer.

Overall much better than the Shady I had from Labatt so that's saying something. Worth picking up on the cheap for a pound able summer brew that wouldn't get you trashed!

2.64/5  rDev -20.5%

Clear extremely pale yellow colored beer with a minimal head formation that almost completely disappears. This looks remarkably like American Light Beer.

The smell is pretty much like what is on the label 50% Stiegl beer and 50% lemon soda." Scent of German lager and lemon. A little grain and bread and a little Nobel hop and the scent of lemon.

The taste begins beery and sweet with a strong lemon cola taste. The beer flavor here isn't totally obliterated the bread flavor comes through fairly strong. Lots of lemon taste with mostly beer aftertaste. I could see drinking this to kill thirst and the Stiegl beer does a great deal better at standing out from the soda than a lesser beer would.

The mouthfeel is OK.

An OK beverage but I wouldn't recommend drinking this for just anyone. Kind of a kindergarten beer. Worth trying but not stuff your refrigerator full out it though.

4.01/5  rDev +20.8%

From 500mL bottle to Pilsner glass on 5/3/12
*From notes

A: Pale straw golden. Brilliant. What a lovely glass of beer. It looks like a very pale grower's champagne. A good pour yields a bone white two finger head that leads to no lacing or collar.

S: Would you be surprised if I told you that this smelled like freshly squeezed lemons, and lots of 'em? A touch medicinal, like a lemon cough drop. But it in no way overwhelms the freshness of the fruit.

T: Off-dry lemonade kicks the fore into gear. It carries to the mid, where a touch of malt (or maybe a bit of corn mash) arrives in the background. The finish is creamy, like a dollop of fluff atop a lemon meringue pie. One of the most refreshing and crisp libations I've ever had the pleasure to quaff.

M: Quite light and very bubbly. This drinks like a lemon mimosa.

O: I can't wait to crush more of these on the dog days of summer. Wonderful, wonderful stuff. I understand some of the negative reviews - this isn't something that would appeal to all palates. But it certainly appeals to mine. Easily recommended for hot summer days and warm evenings where you're looking knock back more then your fair share of suds.

to view more.