Stiegl Gaudi Radler Shandy (Lemon) - Stieglbrauerei zu Salzburg GmbH

Stiegl Gaudi Radler Shandy (Lemon)Stiegl Gaudi Radler Shandy (Lemon)

Stieglbrauerei zu Salzburg GmbH visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  2.50% ABV

Beer added by: moulefrite on 07-30-2003

1.53/5  rDev -53.4%

Very pale straw yellow color. Effervescent...kinda reminds me of dropping a lemon/lime Alka-Seltzer into a glass of water in both scent and appearance. I wasn't sure what to expect as far as taste, but no way did I expect the utter foulness that washed over my palate. Virtually no beer taste. I was overwhelmed with sweet lemon. I really wanted to go dump this in the yard, but I gathered all my strength and powered through the bottle. Different strokes for different folks...this one just didn't do it for me.

1.57/5  rDev -52.1%

I will try just about anything once and this falls into that category. A shopping trip with my wife produced this offspring as she is a lemon/citrus fan so in the basket it goes. Poured into a pils glass it is very macro lagerish looking. Pale and yellow with tons of fast moving carbonation below a white head that falls to nothing very quickly.

Certainly lemon is the theme. There is a grainy husk type backdrop that is annoying and the lemon is more like sweet lemonade. There really is nothing all that Citrusy or sour or biting about it. Green grapes creep into the picture only to be squashed again by the over sweet lemons.

Notes: 1 and done. I suppose Radlers are technically beer but if your looking for any lager characteristics about all you'll get is some husk. Pass.

1.68/5  rDev -48.8%

Live review. Poured from the 16.9 oz. brown vertically oriented bottle that I received as a Christmas gift (along with many others) from Mat & Christine. I believe that this is my first Austrian beer. Perhaps the Von Trap family enjoyed beer from this brewery? Poured into my Samuel Adams Summer Ale goblet.

A If it were any more clear it would be water. Only a slight hint of yellow tint to the body which is devoid of even carbonation rising up. The head which was initially a nice 3 inches dissapeared within 30 seconds and is now just a trace across the top of the body. 2.0

S Well...Lemon Soda. I know that this is "beer brewed with lemon soda" since it says so on the label but really, I expected to smell something other than that. I smell nothing but a light lemon soda. 1.5

T A very, very light beer with what could be about 50% lemon soda included. This beer might represent the biggest swing in tastes from one beer to the next that I have ever experienced since I just tasted and rated Bear Republic's Big Bear Black Stout last night. This might be the absolute polar opposite beer. Anyway, back to this beer here. There is a trace of barley husk tasteable upon repeated sips. I actually like the lemony taste but not in a beer. I would rather just reach for a good lemonade. 2.0

M Very thin. The Lemon Soda adds a trace amount of syrupy thickness but not much. The feel is too watery for me. 2.0

D Only on the hottest of summer days and only if this is really, really cold. Again, I would rather just grab a country time lemonade to meet the same purpose (to refresh with a taste of lemon). Because Country Time Lemonade is an acceptable replacement for this beer I am forced to give it the lowest drinkability rating. 1.0

1.79/5  rDev -45.4%

A: This beer, when poured, looks very light and pale, almost a sun-washed gold. Head, once poured was fairly large, about an inch to an inch in a half on a straight pour, however, it settled incredibly fast.

S: Smells just like it should, with an overwhelming amount of lemon.

T: I do not drink soda, I drink beer, I was intrigued by the introduction to lemon soda, in hopes that it would brighten, without over-sweetening my beer, this wasn't the case. The beer, if I could taste any in there was more of a side note than the main character, and the lemon stole the show.

M: Since this is brewed with lemon soda and is "50% Stiegl-Beer and 50% Lemon-Soda" made the drink overly syrupy in my mouth and reminded me of a bad cough medicine. The carbonation at the beginning of the taste was slightly overwhelming.

D: This beer is not something that I'd suggest to my friends, nor is it something that I'd buy again.

Overall, interesting attempt at something slightly different, but overall a failure in my mind. I guess I'll just stick to good old regular Stiegl next time I'm in the mood for an Austrian brewed beer. Cheers.

1.81/5  rDev -44.8%

500 mL bottle without a freshness date. Pours an uber-light yellow color like a witbier with clarity. Frothy head recedes slowly and leaves plenty of lacing on the glass.

Nose is disappointingly only of lemonade. I cannot detect even the slightest hint of malts, hops or yeast. More akin to a lemon meringue pie.

Wow, much sweeter than I was expecting. I was thinking maybe a lighter lager with some of the nice puckering sourness of a fresh lemon. Nice tangy berlinerweiss it is not! Instead, this tastes like the bastard offspring of a drunken affair between Natural Light and a box of Lemonhead candies. I do not like this in a box, or with a fox. Rarely do I leave a beer behind, but this wounded soldier needs to be put to rest.

2.03/5  rDev -38.1%

Appearance: Pours a clear pale lemon yellow; looks more like a soda than a beer and acts like one too

Smell: Lemon soda with a slight yeasty aspect

Taste: Tastes more like a watered down soda; lemony and sweet, with a honey aspect

Mouthfeel: Light and watery

Drinkability: I had a radler on draft once in Munich so I should have known what I was in for; didn't like it then and don't like it now

2.18/5  rDev -33.5%

Half beer and half lemon soda? What was I thinking?

Poured out a pale yellow color with some head that stays with you for a little bit.

Smell consisted of some wheat aromas with some slight lemon in there, but it was all too light. No hops or malts can be detected.

Taste wasn't all to great as well. They dumped a good amount of lemons in this thing, but hardly and beer elements are in here. Mouthfeel was quite carbonated as well. What it boils down to is just a plain carbonated lemonade. Pass on this one!

2.23/5  rDev -32%

Presented in a 500ml bottle with no freshness date. Poured into the pilsner, it’s a transparent yellow-gold color with light carbonation. Thick white Champaign-like head of fine white bubbles fades at a quick pace leaving a spotty cap and no lace. I suppose this is to be expected from a shandy, but it looks a whole lot like your garden variety macro lager. Nose of sweet lemon soda and orange juice; no malt, no hops, just fruit juice. Again, in style maybe this is acceptable. Tastes very sweet, like carbonated fruit juice, light fruit flavor like lemon-orange juice. Mouth is very thin and watery, and sticky-sugary. Drinkability is pretty good despite all this; it’s definitely an easy going “beer” and is enjoyable, though it really has no substance. At 2.5% ABV, don’t expect a buzz. Could I drink more than one? Sure, and I’ve enjoyed a “session” of shandies in the past. But what’s the point?

Overall: Textbook bitch beer. Looks like a nice import beer, drinks like a seltzer. Much like a black and tan, this style is hugely better on tap than in a bottle. Worth a try if you haven’t had the style.

2.23/5  rDev -32%

500mL bottle, shared with my wife, but I ended up drinking most of it. Pours golden in color, nice clarity, and is topped with a fizzy white head that dissipates quickly. Aroma is lager beer and lemon, some yeast. Tastes are very odd, biscuity, yeasty, lemon soda. Tastes more like someone dumped some Sprite into my beer. Mouth-feel is thin bodied with plenty of carbonation. Overall, not a fan. I won't buy this one again, however, the grapefruit radler is pretty decent.

2.37/5  rDev -27.7%

I would get this mixed up with an average american macro if I saw it just sitting at a bar. Piss fizzy yellow with a small white head that fades quickly and leaves little lacing.

Aroma is very laid back with bready type malt and very little in way of lemon. Can actually smell the carbonation in this.

Not bad tasting at all but not great either. A little sweet and very thin. I think more carbonation in the mouth would greatly enhance this. Lemon stands out more but to much RS makes it slightly cloying. At least it is unique which earns extra points albeit little.

2.5/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Stiegl Gaudi-Radler Zitrone
Half liter bottle
Medium pour in a stein
Recent brewing, squeezed out 02/07

Poured a clear yellow with a fizzy mostly diminishing white head.

Smell was moderate lemon candy.

Taste was upfront strong sweet lemon soda and moderate bitter perfume hops followed by a strong cloying sweet lemon finish. Palate was light to medium bodied, lively carbonated, watery to oily.

Overall, this is mostly a lemon soda with a slight German gold lager taste upfront. The majority of l the girls on this particular night who sampled it loved it. Interesting, but not a fruit beer, hardly even a beer. Fun for the girls though (hence bonus point).

2.5/5  rDev -23.8%

17oz bottle.
50% Stiegl and 50% Lemon soda

Pours a very pale gold color. Fizzy white head that hangs around briefly.
Aroma is faint and hard to pin down. Grainy malts and a slight lemon, but not anything too exciting.
Very sweet initial lemon flavor..sugary. Pale malts and grassy hops in the finish. More lemon soda flavor than beer flavor..but I didn't have real high hopes when buying this, so I wasn't too disappointed. Light body, crisp clean mouthfeel.
I had a couple of these on the beach today and they were alright..being 90 degrees outside helped this one out a lot.

This is a decent low-alcohol, refreshing summer beer for people who don't really like beer.

2.58/5  rDev -21.3%

Exceedingly light straw yellow--reminiscent of cider/perry--but with a more beer-like head. The head is simple white. Not bright enough to be cotton white, not dark enough to be off-white. It persists for a good bit and results in a decent amount of scattered, scrappy lace.

The nose is weak and grain-like with the barest suggestion of lemon. As one who loves all things lemon, I'm disappointed. There are plenty of beers that use nothing more than the four basic ingredients that smell much more lemony than this. There's some resemblance to lemon soda, but seriously watered-down lemon soda by my nose.

Gaudi Radler Shandy tastes like what it is, namely an equal mixture of rather pedestrian lager (I assume) and soda. The fizzy sweetness of the soda is dominant and, as in the nose, the lemon flavor isn't nearly strong enough. On the plus side, the soda doesn't cover up the beerness. On the minus side, the beer could do with some covering up.

Short, tart, puckery finish. The body is light despite the fact that the sweetness gives the illusion of a slight syrupiness. While fizzy at first, the mouthfeel becomes almost flat by mid-bottle, as a shooting star burns brightly and then fades to darkness (yeah... right).

I had no idea when I bought this bottle that it was 50% beer and 50% lemon soda. I had hoped that it was a fruit beer that, against all odds, would wow me with a perfect combination of lemon and beer. It can only be termed a failure though, as a beer and as a beverage. Perhaps the best way to get that lemony snap that I crave is with hops after all.

2.6/5  rDev -20.7%

From Whole Foods, Chicago. Well, what did I expect? It’s Sprite with beer in it. I’m told the mixture is popular in the Germanic areas, where it’s sometimes called "bicyclist’s beer." The lemon soda flavor pretty much overwhelmed any substantial beer flavor. There is definitely beer in the aroma, though, but it's hard to tell just what kind. It also has a bit of a saccharine taste that’s off putting. Mixing in soda would make this a low-alcohol brew, I suppose, so it certainly does the job it’s advertised for.

2.64/5  rDev -19.5%

Clear extremely pale yellow colored beer with a minimal head formation that almost completely disappears. This looks remarkably like American Light Beer.

The smell is pretty much like what is on the label 50% Stiegl beer and 50% lemon soda." Scent of German lager and lemon. A little grain and bread and a little Nobel hop and the scent of lemon.

The taste begins beery and sweet with a strong lemon cola taste. The beer flavor here isn't totally obliterated the bread flavor comes through fairly strong. Lots of lemon taste with mostly beer aftertaste. I could see drinking this to kill thirst and the Stiegl beer does a great deal better at standing out from the soda than a lesser beer would.

The mouthfeel is OK.

An OK beverage but I wouldn't recommend drinking this for just anyone. Kind of a kindergarten beer. Worth trying but not stuff your refrigerator full out it though.

2.67/5  rDev -18.6%

White like a macro with a big neonwhite head that dies quickly.

Smells like club soda, lemon juice, and Bud Lite.

Tastes like club soda, lmeon juice, and full flavor Bud. The lemon hits you up front, tart and sweet, and gives way to a creamy middle of very mild macro beeriness--light grain and hints of floral--and ends on dry, club soda carbonation. Meh.

This is a neat novelty, but it doesn't have much in the way of substance. It'd be cheaper to mix a Miller Light with 7Up.

2.73/5  rDev -16.8%

Label reads:"50% Steigl-bier, 50% Lemon Soda" Sounds like what I do pretty often in the summertime, mixing a lager, weizen or pale ale with a fruit soda for increased refreshment and lengthening the drink, cutting down on my alcohol intake. An especially helpful technique for improving a boring or nasty-tastng lager.
As for Steigl's version: Color, a clear, bright yellow, fully transparent at the foot. Poured into an Aventinus glass, it gives a prodigious, albeit short-lived, snow-white head.
Aroma: fizzy, citric, sweet & sour, but a bit too little.
Taste: firmly on the blase side of things. I can taste the soda and the lemon, but not the beer. It must be a pale lager base they use here, for there's nothing in the way of flavor, beyond the lemon. No finish, the faintest body, texture is nil, nothing to recommend it at all.
The notion can be appreciated, but consider that this 17 oz bottle ran me $2.50, and then check out my version: 1 12oz bottle of Summit Hefe Weizen at $.85 + 1 12 oz can of Orange/Mango soda= significant savings, superior satisfaction! Skip this beer and build your own!

2.81/5  rDev -14.3%

Drank from a 1 pt. 9 fl. oz./16.9 fl. oz./0,5 liter bottle purchased at Craft Beer Cellar, Belmont, MA
Served in a pint glass

Brassy yellow and crystal clear in appearance. The liquid was topped by a fluffy, sea foam, one-finger, bright white head. For a beer that is comprised of half soda, there was a surprising amount of head retention.

The aroma was sweet and lemony. Simple yet decent. Lemon soda came to mind. Some bready malts were noticeable. Slightly tart. There was also a subtle yet unpleasant skunky quality. The sweetness became syrupy and cloying as the beer warmed.

The taste was simply sweet lemon soda. Slightly tart on front end, but the tartness was no match for the pervasive, syrupy sweetness. Some unexpected, bitter hops kicked in on the finish. This beer really lacked balance.

The mouthfeel was light and spritzy. Quite watery. It definitely felt a lot more like soda than beer. The liquid left a sugary, gritty feeling on my teeth.

I love a good shandy in the summertime, but this beer was just far too sweet. Had they dialed back on the sugar content, as well as on the hops, this could have been decent.

2.83/5  rDev -13.7%

The color of this mix is very pale yellow with a white bubbly head building, but disappearing fast, leaving little lacing.
It smells more like lemonade than beer.
The taste is very lemony, with very little beer character. It is what it is designed for. A thirst quencher for the summer.

2.9/5  rDev -11.6%

Much more like a 7 up than a beer. Color was a bright opacque yellow. Very small white head. Aroma was lemon lime with no real beer charecter. Flavor was much like the aroma. All 7UPish, no real beer flavor. Of course the beer is a mix of soda and beer but it is way too much soda and not enough beer. Mouthfeel was medium. OK to quench the thirst but not one to drink too many of. My girlfriend even thought it was too much like soda.

2.98/5  rDev -9.1%

My first radler,I should have bought this during the summer it would have been much more fitting.Poured into a pilsner glass a clear sprtizy lemon yellow with large fizzy white head that was gone quickly.Lemon lime pop and toasted cereal grain aromas wich really didn't amount to much.Tasted like 7UP with lighter lager toasted grain flavors in the back end,to me more pop than beer tasting.Fizzy in the mouth wich is a turn off but I could drink a few of these while out grilling in the summer,my wife loved it.

2.99/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a clear and pale straw into a wine glass from a 500 ml. bottle. Offers decent retention of a half inch of white foam and keeps a light ring.

Smell is light and of lemon and a touch of grain. Taste is overwhelmed by the lemon factor as lemon trumps beer in this case. Feel is smooth and light and quite befitting of the concept yet the concept is a bit odd. Drinks easily and is quite refreshing and offers a relatively full feel given the robust carbonation. Interesting and refreshing....Great lunch beer with a salad and when a workout is in order..Otherwise a bit odd.

Pours a crystal clear yellow color with a 2 finger head that falls to a slight coat over the beer. The nose is very lemoney with a slight vegetable-like aroma in there as well. Its a fairly odd smelling beer if you ask me. The flavor is okay. The lemon is very apparent. There is also a very sugary sweetness present as well ontop of a slightly grainey brew. Its almost too sweet. The feel is moderate with a nice active carbonation, as is needed for this beer. Overall, this is an interesting drink. Would be very nice on a very warm day. I can't do big drinks of it.

3.03/5  rDev -7.6%

I am hoping that I am reviewing the right beer, as the picture on my bottle is different, but listed as "Lemon", made with lemon soda.

The soda, err, I mean beer is clear pale yellow, headed toward colorless with this kind of clarity. A huge white head dissipates quickly to leave tons of thin lacing.

Smell is dirty malts, and a lemon citrus, at least it is what it says it is.

Taste is closer to soda than beer. Very lemony sweet, which gains some tartness on the finish. There might be some malts in there, but the lemonade taste is quite overpowering.

Feels thin and very fizzy. For this combo however, it's very hard to drink. The strangely crisp texture pulls at my mouth, and makes it a little uncomfortable to drink.

Uh, never again. Not only is this hard to drink, but it gave me a stomach ache from all the bubbles, like drinking too much soda. I might have drank this a little slower to avoid that, but I have a feeling this would get worse as it warms, but I could be wrong on both accounts.

3.04/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - pale straw color, rather light, and a white fizzy head of soda bubbles that dies rapidly. An occasional dot of lace here or there.

Aroma - very brief grain aroma, which quickly evaporates. A teasing lemony scent that is not overdone. Pleasant and interesting.

Taste - a faint hint of malt/grain, followed by a sweet lemony, candy-like flavor. It's very basic as far as flavor and the soda is more prominent and flavorful than the beer. I suppose that's to be expected when mixing a standard beer with sweet soda. I can't tell much about the beer component, but the lemon is tasty.

Mouthfeel - crisply carbonated, light on the palate.

Drinkability - light on the abv but not on the wallet. This would be great during summer if it weren't so expensive (2.50-something for a 17-ounce bottle). It's a novelty, probably worth having on location in Austria, but not imported. I can make my own approximate radler if I experiment. Still, as a first sample of the radler style, it was a positive experience.

Stiegl Gaudi Radler Shandy (Lemon) from Stieglbrauerei zu Salzburg GmbH