Stiegl Gaudi Radler Shandy (Lemon) - Stieglbrauerei zu Salzburg GmbH

Stiegl Gaudi Radler Shandy (Lemon)Stiegl Gaudi Radler Shandy (Lemon)

Stieglbrauerei zu Salzburg GmbH visit their website
Austria

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  2.50% ABV

(Beer added by: moulefrite on 07-30-2003)
3.3/5  rDev -0.3%

1 pt. 9 fl. oz. bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A - Pours an extremely light extremely clear yellow color with a soda pop head that disappears after a few moments. There is actually some lacing on this beer.

S - Smells like a light beer mixed with watered down lemonade.

T - The taste is actually quite good to me. A very refreshing and dry beer. There is a crisp lemonade taste up front and a light beer maltiness at the end. I also am getting a honey essence as the beer warms up.

M - When this beer is poured it sounds very fizzy like soda, but oddly enough the carbonation is somewhat flat. However, this is a clean and dry tasting beer that refreshes the palate.

D - This beer is very drinkable and refreshing. With a 2.5% ABV you can keep at these with no problem.

Ok, so overall this beer is kind of like Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde. The appearance, smell, and mouthfeel are not too good but the taste and drinkability are good. For what it is, this is a good overall offering for the summer months ahead.

UCLABrewN84, Apr 03, 2010
3.3/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours like watery lemonade. Some laz carbonation and a loosely associated group of bubbles at the top. Head, perhaps? Although it's not nice to look at, it's what I expected from a 1/2 beer and 1/2 lemon soda concoction. More carbonation would be nice.

Smells like "Euro Light Lager" with lemons. Skunk, lemons, corn, more lemons. I quite enjoy the lemons, though.

Ok, it's not bad. It's not great, but it's not bad. It tastes like a generic Euro macro lager as evidenced by the smell, but with a great lemony kick. I must admit that I am a huge fan of lemon soda to begin with and it seems like a great way to make a beer I'm not fond of quite drinkable and, dare I say?, refreshing.

Ok, not much going on in the mouth. Feels like watery lemonade. It could use more carbonation.

In the end this is actually pretty drinkable, but only as either a substitute for actual soda water or salvation from inferior alternatives. I would very happily take this over most BMC beers.

RomaniIteDomum, Mar 16, 2010
3.35/5  rDev +1.2%

1 pint, .9 oz bottle poured into Dogfish Head signature glass (March 11, 2010). No freshness date I can find.

Eyes: Pours a crystal clear yellow straw color. Largish white dish-soap style bubbles fills the glass and receded quickly. Low retention and lacing.

Nose: Not surprising it smells a bit like lemon juice. Some grain in there also, but both smells are somewhat muted. Unfortunately it all smells a bit unnatural, like a drink mix.

Tongue: Tastes fairly good, but I'd bet money the lager is a lower quality adjunct lager. The lemon juice is clearly a drink mix quality beverage.

Mouth: It seems that they over carbonated the lemon soda and it smothers the beer.

Libation: The lager isn't great, and the lemon soda seems to be made from just add water drink mix and it doesn't do enough to assist the lager taste. That said I like the Shandy/Radler style, and this is a much better alternative than a regular macro adjunct lager for refreshment. Despite all the negative things I've said it manages to be pretty refreshing, and easy drinking. I'd absolutely love to make my own version of this with a decent lager and quality lemon soda.

OttoBomb, Mar 12, 2010
1.7/5  rDev -48.6%

Live review. Poured from the 16.9 oz. brown vertically oriented bottle that I received as a Christmas gift (along with many others) from Mat & Christine. I believe that this is my first Austrian beer. Perhaps the Von Trap family enjoyed beer from this brewery? Poured into my Samuel Adams Summer Ale goblet.

A If it were any more clear it would be water. Only a slight hint of yellow tint to the body which is devoid of even carbonation rising up. The head which was initially a nice 3 inches dissapeared within 30 seconds and is now just a trace across the top of the body. 2.0

S Well...Lemon Soda. I know that this is "beer brewed with lemon soda" since it says so on the label but really, I expected to smell something other than that. I smell nothing but a light lemon soda. 1.5

T A very, very light beer with what could be about 50% lemon soda included. This beer might represent the biggest swing in tastes from one beer to the next that I have ever experienced since I just tasted and rated Bear Republic's Big Bear Black Stout last night. This might be the absolute polar opposite beer. Anyway, back to this beer here. There is a trace of barley husk tasteable upon repeated sips. I actually like the lemony taste but not in a beer. I would rather just reach for a good lemonade. 2.0

M Very thin. The Lemon Soda adds a trace amount of syrupy thickness but not much. The feel is too watery for me. 2.0

D Only on the hottest of summer days and only if this is really, really cold. Again, I would rather just grab a country time lemonade to meet the same purpose (to refresh with a taste of lemon). Because Country Time Lemonade is an acceptable replacement for this beer I am forced to give it the lowest drinkability rating. 1.0

adamette, Jan 21, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +29.3%

This is one of my favorite Sunday morning pre-football beverages, especially if I am going to be out in the sun getting dehydrated.

A - Looks like pale lager, but appears less carbonated.

S - Smells like lemon soda, but not Sprite or 7up, with a hint of grain.

T - Tastes fantastic. Not very beer-like, but it's only half beer, so what would you expect? It has a flavor more like a Stewart's, Jarritos, or Jones lemon-lime soda, coupled with a dry, clean pilsener.

M - Sharply effervescent and thirst-quenchingly refreshing.

D - Awesome. Unless you want to get drunk.

ktrillionaire, Jan 21, 2010
1.75/5  rDev -47.1%

500 mL bottle without a freshness date. Pours an uber-light yellow color like a witbier with clarity. Frothy head recedes slowly and leaves plenty of lacing on the glass.

Nose is disappointingly only of lemonade. I cannot detect even the slightest hint of malts, hops or yeast. More akin to a lemon meringue pie.

Wow, much sweeter than I was expecting. I was thinking maybe a lighter lager with some of the nice puckering sourness of a fresh lemon. Nice tangy berlinerweiss it is not! Instead, this tastes like the bastard offspring of a drunken affair between Natural Light and a box of Lemonhead candies. I do not like this in a box, or with a fox. Rarely do I leave a beer behind, but this wounded soldier needs to be put to rest.

twiggamortis420, Dec 09, 2009
1.73/5  rDev -47.7%

A: This beer, when poured, looks very light and pale, almost a sun-washed gold. Head, once poured was fairly large, about an inch to an inch in a half on a straight pour, however, it settled incredibly fast.

S: Smells just like it should, with an overwhelming amount of lemon.

T: I do not drink soda, I drink beer, I was intrigued by the introduction to lemon soda, in hopes that it would brighten, without over-sweetening my beer, this wasn't the case. The beer, if I could taste any in there was more of a side note than the main character, and the lemon stole the show.

M: Since this is brewed with lemon soda and is "50% Stiegl-Beer and 50% Lemon-Soda" made the drink overly syrupy in my mouth and reminded me of a bad cough medicine. The carbonation at the beginning of the taste was slightly overwhelming.

D: This beer is not something that I'd suggest to my friends, nor is it something that I'd buy again.

Overall, interesting attempt at something slightly different, but overall a failure in my mind. I guess I'll just stick to good old regular Stiegl next time I'm in the mood for an Austrian brewed beer. Cheers.

NicholasCasber, Dec 08, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -7.9%

Thanks to Sue and Meg for sharing their case of Shandy. This is an old sub-style (lemonade+beer) I've wanted to try for a while. This one however, is more just an ultra-light lager with lemon syrup added. Instead of juice, the lemon tastes more like Lemon Drops and candy. The light lager is pleasant and clean, but this beer is too sweet. However, if you dig the thicker, sweeter fruit lambics, this might be up your alley.

tempest, Oct 21, 2009
1.48/5  rDev -55.3%

Very pale straw yellow color. Effervescent...kinda reminds me of dropping a lemon/lime Alka-Seltzer into a glass of water in both scent and appearance. I wasn't sure what to expect as far as taste, but no way did I expect the utter foulness that washed over my palate. Virtually no beer taste. I was overwhelmed with sweet lemon. I really wanted to go dump this in the yard, but I gathered all my strength and powered through the bottle. Different strokes for different folks...this one just didn't do it for me.

alkemy, Aug 28, 2009
3.5/5  rDev +5.7%

I poured into a pint glass to a half inch of head that was gone rather quickly. It is very pale and crystal clear. It smells sweet with a hint of beer fragrance. It tastes better than it smells although it is pretty sweet. It's like a Coors Light with sugar and lemon added. It is refreshing.

buschbeer, Jul 17, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a very pale straw color with a thin white head that settles quickly to a thin skin of suds. Virtually zero lacing is left on the glass. The aroma is a combination of a grainy pilsner with a touch of lemon. Actually has an interesting aroma. Very light beer flavor with a sweet lemon finish. A bit cloying in the finish but thankfully does not last long. One bottle is refreshing but more than that and it would get old quick. Light body with fizzy carbonation. I would drink this over Leinenkugels's fruity beers.

morimech, Jul 09, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -3.3%

THis is a 50/50 mix of pilsener and lemon soda. It might not be something you'd think of as a beer, but for what it is it's certainly done correctly.

It's a clear amber color with a light head that leaves minimal lacing.
The smell is all lemon soda with some wheat and a hops and malt profile that is more detectable than most seem to think.
The taste follows suit. It's sweet and very much like a soda, but the pilsener character and hops/malt profiles are there. Anyone who says they can't detect them may need to try again or work on developing that palate some more. Anyway, it's not that difficult to detect. I think people just don't like their beer mixed.
The mouthfeel is good and crisp, though in a beer I don't enjoy soda-like carbonation.
It's great for what it is: a beer mixed with lemon soda. Of course it's more like soda that you'd like in a beer. The pilsener malt, hops and wheat are clean, fresh and natural. That being said, it is more of a beer for people who don't like beer.

Brenden, May 08, 2009
2.88/5  rDev -13%

Much more like a 7 up than a beer. Color was a bright opacque yellow. Very small white head. Aroma was lemon lime with no real beer charecter. Flavor was much like the aroma. All 7UPish, no real beer flavor. Of course the beer is a mix of soda and beer but it is way too much soda and not enough beer. Mouthfeel was medium. OK to quench the thirst but not one to drink too many of. My girlfriend even thought it was too much like soda.

bigbelcher, Apr 20, 2009
3.53/5  rDev +6.6%

This is an interesting, overall enjoyable but rather schizophrenic beer with a character that can be both off-putting and pleasant. I like it but have to be in the right mood and normally wouldn't want to drink too much.

It is pale gold, it has a large, somewhat fizzy white head dissipating slowly to nothing.

The aroma is a mild lager aroma with grain and hints of honey, along with a light lemon-7-up quality.

The taste is rather like a lager mixed with 7-up, making it interesting and rather complex, but also very light and refreshing. It has a definite grainy lager taste mixed with 7-up/lemon soda, both at the ame time, but the beer-grain quality dominates the finish. I like it but it's not something I'd drink often and I can see why someone might hate it.

Offa, Apr 13, 2009
3.43/5  rDev +3.6%

Stiegl's Radler pours a big stiff white head over a clear yellow brew. Carbonation is very active and spritzy. The nose is light lager malt and a bit of lemon. The flavor is about the same- mild light malt and mildly sweet lemonaid, with a shadow of an herbal hop backing it up. Mouthfeel is clean, light, and crisp. Very refreshing without being cloying- this is not a particularly complicated brew, but it does what it's supposed to. It refreshes and doesn't make you stupid. Gorgeous label artwork too!

shadow1961, Mar 03, 2009
3.33/5  rDev +0.6%

Bought this at Knightly Spirits in Orlando on our vacation in September.

Me and my wife shared a bottle and paired it with a homemade garden quiche with pancetta.

Poured from a 16.9oz. bottle.

Appearance: Pale, yellow gold with an average white head.

Smell: Pale citrus and lemon.

Taste: A bit zesty, light and definitely different. My wife tastes some buckwheat honey in it. Me? A bit of sweet lemon but more soda-like than anything.

Mouthfeel: A bit lacking after the lemon not much else. A little bit of honey in the background. Pretty much a one note beverage.

Drinkability: Very easy to drink. I would have another from time to time but not too often.

Overall: Definitely a change of pace and i kind of liked it though i wouldn't rush to go out to buy more. It went really well with the quiche.

papat444, Oct 28, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -1.8%

Pale gold with fizzy carbonation. Foam looks a little like soap bubbles, and dwindles to nothing.

Faint grain aroma, not much lemon or soda to speak of.

Sweet spritzy lemon soda similar to Italian Limonciata soda. There was a hint of pilsner malt in the back. Low acidity from the soda, sweet aftertaste. Well carbonated, light bodied. Ok to try on a summer's afternoon, but ultimately too boring to return to. The base beer lacked flavor. I actually preferred the hefe wheat base of Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy.

emerge077, Aug 16, 2008
3.08/5  rDev -6.9%

A- Clear pale gold, small white head dissipating to almost nothing. No lacing

A- Lemony

T- Woah! Starts out with a crazy lemon taste and follows up with a malty taste. No alcohol taste(especially at 2.5%) are you sure this isn't a soda?

M- Light with low carbonation

D- If the taste was better I could easily pack these away, but I've had better radlers than this. I'd recommend at least giving it a try once, good on hot days...especially if you are biking.

gpogo, Apr 30, 2008
2.53/5  rDev -23.6%

17oz bottle.
50% Stiegl and 50% Lemon soda

Pours a very pale gold color. Fizzy white head that hangs around briefly.
Aroma is faint and hard to pin down. Grainy malts and a slight lemon, but not anything too exciting.
Very sweet initial lemon flavor..sugary. Pale malts and grassy hops in the finish. More lemon soda flavor than beer flavor..but I didn't have real high hopes when buying this, so I wasn't too disappointed. Light body, crisp clean mouthfeel.
I had a couple of these on the beach today and they were alright..being 90 degrees outside helped this one out a lot.

This is a decent low-alcohol, refreshing summer beer for people who don't really like beer.

hero27, Jul 01, 2007
2.63/5  rDev -20.5%

Clear extremely pale yellow colored beer with a minimal head formation that almost completely disappears. This looks remarkably like American Light Beer.

The smell is pretty much like what is on the label 50% Stiegl beer and 50% lemon soda." Scent of German lager and lemon. A little grain and bread and a little Nobel hop and the scent of lemon.

The taste begins beery and sweet with a strong lemon cola taste. The beer flavor here isn't totally obliterated the bread flavor comes through fairly strong. Lots of lemon taste with mostly beer aftertaste. I could see drinking this to kill thirst and the Stiegl beer does a great deal better at standing out from the soda than a lesser beer would.

The mouthfeel is OK.

An OK beverage but I wouldn't recommend drinking this for just anyone. Kind of a kindergarten beer. Worth trying but not stuff your refrigerator full out it though.

Zorro, Jun 30, 2007
2.03/5  rDev -38.7%

Appearance: Pours a clear pale lemon yellow; looks more like a soda than a beer and acts like one too

Smell: Lemon soda with a slight yeasty aspect

Taste: Tastes more like a watered down soda; lemony and sweet, with a honey aspect

Mouthfeel: Light and watery

Drinkability: I had a radler on draft once in Munich so I should have known what I was in for; didn't like it then and don't like it now

brentk56, Jun 08, 2007
2.4/5  rDev -27.5%

I would get this mixed up with an average american macro if I saw it just sitting at a bar. Piss fizzy yellow with a small white head that fades quickly and leaves little lacing.

Aroma is very laid back with bready type malt and very little in way of lemon. Can actually smell the carbonation in this.

Not bad tasting at all but not great either. A little sweet and very thin. I think more carbonation in the mouth would greatly enhance this. Lemon stands out more but to much RS makes it slightly cloying. At least it is unique which earns extra points albeit little.

mcallister, May 19, 2007
3.63/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a very clear pale golden with a white frothy cap reducing to some surface lacing. Zesty lemon soda aroma is dominant with some floral, earthy hops and faint grains poking through. The taste is similar to Sprite flavor but actually much better real lemon used, not tart. Lightly toasted grains and cereal show up in the middle complimenting the lemon soda well and then a little a slight hop flavor arrives. Sweetness of simple syrup and maybe honey, refreshingly pleasant. Light body and a good beer texture turned out well. Soft lemon notes coat the tongue on an otherwise clean finish. Pretty good for what its worth but I was wanting something more beer than soda as the beer used seemed to be light to begin with.

cabsandking, Apr 24, 2007
3.1/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured with little head which faded to almost none. There is no lace. Very well carbonated. Clear, yellow gold color. Tastes like what it is, except that maybe, it tastes better than I thought it would. Beery natural lemon aroma. Clean and well balanced. Short finish. Would be very easy to drink lots of these on a hot summer day.

drpimento, Mar 22, 2007
3.1/5  rDev -6.3%

A: Lots of carbonation...has a similar look to ginger-ale.
S: Skunky with an ever so slight smell of lemons.
T&M: I know it says 50% Stiegl-Beer and 50% Lemon-Soda, but the lemon flavor overpowers the beer (which might be a good thing). Not too much you can say about it other than it's got lemon flavor in it.
D: I could see drinking a few of these on a hot day, when you want to play it safe. Imagine Mike's Hard Lemonade without the sweetness. Overall, not too shabby...for what it is.

July2Nov, Mar 15, 2007