2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stiegl Goldbräu - Stieglbrauerei zu Salzburg GmbH

Stiegl GoldbräuStiegl Goldbräu

good

Stieglbrauerei zu Salzburg GmbH visit their website
Austria

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-08-2002)
View: Beers (21) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 258 | Reviews: 141 | Show All Ratings:
jonb5

United Kingdom (England)

3.51/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Half litre bottle. A: Golden, medium, thin head,
moderate retention, some lacing, appetizing. S:
The combination of orange and malt reminded me
of Munich Helles style beers. T: Predominantly
malt, hints of grain, crisp, clean tasting. M:
Slightly heavy body, moderate carbonation. O: A
decent enough subtle Helles, not earth shattering
but went down pretty well.

04-16-2014 15:36:18 | More by jonb5
Premo88

3.89/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.75

16.9 oz. can poured into nonic

L: yellow gold, light gold, clear as water ... so clear it's freaky; lots of bubbles cascading up through the column; almost no head, but I gave it a super light pour; foam is white, and it keeps a nice collar

S: sweet bread malt; sweet biscuits ... really sweet and fruity at times, almost as fruity as an English pale ale

T: a ton of sweet bread malt taste with a surprising bit of grassy hop bite -- it's not at the pilsener level, but there's detectable hops here, both grassy and spicy. the sweet malt backbone is the top feature. it's almost like apricot at times.

F: fantastic ... light, effervescent but solid

O: by far my favorite Octoberfest/Marzen so far ... in fact, it gives me hope for the style, because my run through a few of them last fall was disappointing. this one is super sweet but with a pinch of grain and hops to offer some balance.

for the price (about $9/4-pack of 16.9 oz. cans), it's neither cheap nor expensive ... but cheap enough and good enough that I can see myself grabbing a 4-pack of this a couple times a year. a great break from the American hop scene.

04-12-2014 07:03:27 | More by Premo88
WVbeergeek

3.51/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1/2 liter bottle of Austrian lager, Stiegl. I'm accustomed to seeing the pils around my area. The local college in Steubenville has an exchange program with a college in Austria all of the Catholic college kids come back state side with a craving for this industrial style lager from Salzburg. A deep golden akin to apple juice with a large white head forming thick with flowing stream of carbonation bubbles in the glass, speckled lacing sporadic but there. The nose has nice floral/herbal hops in the back end with an upfront, bread dough sweetness with hints of cooked vegetable pretty straight forward Euro lager truth be told, but pretty clean so far. An enjoyable rolling malt sweetness, think biscuit malt with some mineral water, just enough herbal hops to give it a zing, completely clean dry crisp lagered finish. This beer is meant to be drank in number, not complex at all but doesn't really set out to be that type of beer. This is industrial style mass produced lager with a decent flavor, I can't complain it is what it is. Not leaps and bounds above an American style light lager, but there's more tradition in this glass than your average BMC. Goldbrau is right it says it all it's Gold beer, highly force carbonated yet finishes clean with just enough hop snap to keep you coming back for another sip. If those college kids want to relive their semester abroad more power to them, I can see the sentimental value in a lot of bad beers this is just extremely middle of the road to be a go to beer for me.

03-10-2014 18:09:12 | More by WVbeergeek
CalgaryFMC

Alberta (Canada)

3.49/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had a glass at 1600 Bier Haus in Calgary. A bit of a rarity on tap, one is more likely to run into its German Pils stablemate. The darker Goldbrau is in fact pretty light, maybe just on the orange side of lemon yellow, with a little white foam. Aroma is an interesting blend of sweet corn (I'd be surprised if there is actual corn in here but perhaps), biscuit, and a bit of a funky "off" note that actually sort of works since it is subtle and far from overpowering. Old wet malt? Anyhow, taste is quite tart and acidic with a decent amount of carbonation, brown sugar and sweet dough with a little noble hop spice and a mellow sweet cherry note (a bit like cherry gum) that shows up early and persists through the crisp finish. A subdued but classy and well-executed Oktoberfest, just this side of a Pils or Euro lager really in terms of appearance and flavor, but with some rich malt character and no obvious flaws.

11-21-2013 04:40:01 | More by CalgaryFMC
mfnmbvp

2.88/5  rDev -18.4%

16.9 fl oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on or freshness date present. My third beer from this brewery. I recently drank the Stiegl Radler Lemon, which is made using 50% of this beer, so I'm interested to see how it fares without the addition of lemon soda. Expectations are fairly low. Listed as a 'premium lager' on the bottle, but listed as an Oktoberfest on BeerAdvocate.

Poured into a Miller Lite pint glass.

A - Pours a clear golden lager yellow colored body with a hint of amber in there. About one finger of bone white foam for a head that dies out instantly. No lacing.

S - Smell is bland. Cooked corn, grains, white bread, malt sweetness, and some wet cardboard type smell.

T - Taste follows the nose: cooked corn & grains, wheat, bready malt sweetness, and a crisp carbonated finish.

M - Feel is smooth, clean, wet, and grainy with a bit of coarse over-carbonation on the back end.

Overall, it is about what I expected. Inoffensive, drinkable, but definitely not out to break any new barriers or anything. Probably not a beer I would go out of my way to buy again, but I would certainly drink it again. I look forward to trying the rest of the beers from this brewery.

Stiegl Goldbräu Premium Lager ---3/5.

08-10-2013 22:52:50 | More by mfnmbvp
rickyleepotts

Arizona

1.99/5  rDev -43.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.5

This bottle has been sitting in the fridge for quite a while. We have about 30 beers in the kitchen ready to drink. I feel like I have had this before, but can't remember when and under what circumstances. We have been drinking IPAs all night. Today is National IPA Day. So raise a glass to hops… let's drink!

This beer, coming all the way from Austria, is a "premium lager". Curious what they consider premium. We might be reviewing two tonight… so let's hope this one gets the party started. Cheers!

In the Glass: By premium they must mean a TON of carbonation! I tried pouring this and all I got was foam. The foam settles quickly, but it did leave a good 5 finger head by the time the bottle was empty. Those bubbles are leaving a really nice thick creamy lace that I am excited about. This is the only beer on the list from this brewing company, so I assume it is their best offering. Let's see what she smells like.

Nose: There is a hint of funk in there, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. That is what I expect from these weird European beers. It reminds me of my time in Poland. Their beers aren't the best, but they are easy to drink. And drink we did! We drank more vodka than anything. Anyway, back to the Stiegl.

Flavor: Before I take a drink I know what this will taste like. Let's see if I am right. Yep. I was. It is thin, boring, and to most… gross. It's not gross, but that same funky aroma carries to the palate. The beer is really easy to drink, but man… I wouldn't want a pitcher of this. Think about how we view Bud Light. It's like that, but not as good! I know, right?

Mouthfeel: What mouthfeel? It is thin, and almost drinks like water. The ABV is low, too. I am not sure why someone would order this. I mean, do they not have good beers in Austria? I keep looking at the word "premium" on the label. Ha.

Aftertaste: There isn't much of an aftertaste. What does linger are those same funky notes I keep referencing. Have you ever had a bottle (or can) of Heineken? It's that sort of forced funky goodness you get. There are days I crave that. Especially on hot summer night. But tonight, even though it is hot outside, I am not too pumped about this beer.

This is NOT what I could consider premium. If you want a thin beer that tastes almost infected, then grab a bottle of this. Other than that, avoid.

08-02-2013 04:27:46 | More by rickyleepotts
Ryan_Graham

Iowa

4.28/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: One finger head. Dark yellow color.

S: Light. Wheaty.

T: Very different. My first impression was, "whoa." I mean that in neither a good way nor a bad way. I've simply never had a beer with such a bready aftertaste.

M: It goes down smooth but drops a bale of wheat
on the back of your tongue on the way down.

O: I like it. Very different than anything my young pallet has ever tasted before. Good balance. I can hear the hops but they're not blowing out my eardrums. Might not be an all-time-great beer but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

07-19-2013 02:08:24 | More by Ryan_Graham
Treath

4.58/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a glass mug. First time drinking it.

A- Golden yellow. Bubbles streaming up. One finger head that fizzles down, but leaves a little bit. Not much lacing. Looks good.

S- Bready, malts, some hops. Fresh smelling.

T- Wow, this has a very bready and malty taste. It has a very little hops, but it has enough slight hop bitterness to mellow out the malty taste. A very nice balance. Slightly bitter, just the right amount.
Aftertaste is nicely bready and slight hop, but clean.

M- Clean, light, crisp. Carbonation is moderate.

Drinkability- Very drinkable. It flows so smoothly.

O- Overall, I'm very impressed by this Austrian beer. Very tasty. This was a fantastic surprise.

07-11-2013 19:51:18 | More by Treath
TAMU99

Guam

3.54/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

(have a bit of a cold...but here goes)

A - clear straw with a small head which dissipates quickly. Little lacing

S - sweet, malty, fruity maybe? - mild and pleasant

T - cookies and malt. The wheaty flavor is mild but balanced by slight background hops. Enjoyable and tasty even if it's not too complex

M - mildly carbonated. There is a rich mouthfeel that lingers and adds body but leaves no bitterness or cloying aftertaste.

O - Definitely a very nice beer. This is one I'll buy again and one I'll offer to friends. An excellent way to pull people up out of the miry clay of Miller/Bud/Coors.

06-21-2013 09:57:38 | More by TAMU99
soju6

Missouri

A: Pours a clear golden color with a big head that fades to decent lacing.

S: Aroma of malt sweetness and touch of honey.

T: Taste of malt sweetness with a bit of honey. Mild bitterness and a fairly clean finish.

F: Light body, smooth and a bit too sweet.

O: Decent beer good for a couple.

06-06-2013 00:33:07 | More by soju6
Darkmagus82

3.49/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap in a pint glass

Appearance – Served a golden orange colored brew with a one finger white head. The head faded very fast leaving only a light level of lace.

Smell- The nose is largely of a bready and lightly fruity smell. Mixed with this are notes of toasted malt and a very light earthy and grassy hop smell.

Taste –The taste begins much sweeter upfront with notes of caramel and some light fruit sweetness. Mixed with the sweeter flavors is a bready and lightly toasted grain flavor which creates a base for the flavors. The sweet dwindles as the flavor advances more and the more and some bitter hop of a grassy nature comes to the tongue. These flavors with a very light spicy flavor, in the end, leave a moderately crisp and fairly clean flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel –The body of the beer was on the medium side in terms of its thickness and creaminess with a carbonation level that was a little above average. The feel made for a drinkable brew, but still allowed some of the sweeter and lightly hopped flavors to shine through.

Overall – An easy drinking and quite flavorful Marzen.

02-27-2013 16:22:54 | More by Darkmagus82
StonedTrippin

Colorado

3.68/5  rDev +4.2%

on tap at falling rock. I got this with a sandwich while I was waiting for the pliny the younger tapping. was looking for the least offensive, most neutral brew I could find, as I needed to clear the palate for what I knew would be one of the best beers of all time. it came in a pint glass, perfectly clear and golden with a finger or so of thick white fluff. the nose was super fresh, very very german in origin from the malt. fits all the stereotypes, but seems to have more body than some of the standard offerings in this style. unfortunately though, the nose is this beer's best feature. it tastes a little old, mildly metallic, and lazily handled. the malt freshness didn't come through the thicker body, and there was a starchy flavor to this that just dragged the whole thing down. I didn't even get spicy food and it couldn't clear my palate for me. it got even more heavy as it warmed, and left me pretty unsatisfied, although I will say again that the nose of this beer is very promising, and I will have to give the bottled version a fair shake at some point. overall a very plain beer, something for the BMC drinker in your life, since its a tad more hoppy than the generic stuff, but its not worth the import price.

02-17-2013 02:07:26 | More by StonedTrippin
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

4.55/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Stiegl Goldbrau has a thick, fluffy, white head, a hazy, golden, bubbly appearance, filled with tiny white sediment specks, and a thick, white lacing sheen left on the glass. The aroma is of sweet, pungent, full barley malt, and the taste is of sweet, bready, biscuity barley malt, with a pleasant hop bitterness at the sip’s end. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Stiegl Goldbrau finishes semi-dry, sweet, mild, and highly drinkable. Overall, this is a great beer, and I highly recommend it!

RJT

01-31-2013 18:14:36 | More by RonaldTheriot
StJamesGate

3.63/5  rDev +2.8%

Polished brass with puffy white head that crusts and trails nicely.
Fresh grain and bright floral hops on the nose.
Proofing bread dough with thin honey, then mild grassy and light cumin hops.
Ginger ale finish and weak linger.
Thin, round, slight cling, clean.

Not really a Marzen or Helles by any stretch, more like an all-malt American. Malty, perfumed, pleasant, easy, watery, hopless and forgettable. The best Austrian lager I've tasted, which is not necessarily a compliment.

12-29-2012 23:11:09 | More by StJamesGate
mactrail

2.83/5  rDev -19.8%

On tap at the Kaiserhof Restaurant in San Diego where they call this "Stiegl Premium Lager." Crystal clear golden color in the mug. Average head doesn't stick around long. Very sparkly and sharp in the mouth.

An odd perfumey flavor seems to be the main sensation. That slightly spicy aroma enlivens this just a little. Some faint tang of hops along with that spicy mystery taste is actually the best feature. No malt flavor that I can detect.

This may be a little better than Serbian or Romanian lagers. You could pour this down your gullet for a thirst quencher, but even Heineken has more flavor.

12-10-2012 06:19:19 | More by mactrail
Murrhey

Montana

2.88/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured from a 1pt .9 fl oz can into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- One finger rather flimsy white head, low retention, nice carbonation. Very unimpressive watery look, crystal clarity, thin golden color.

S- Smell is a vast improvement over the appearance. Golden malts, marshmallows.

T- Warm Marzen flavor. Nice malts and some golden hops. Not packing a huge punch, but tasty.

M- Medium bodied and creamy sort of feel.

O- Despite the atrocious look, this is a passable brew.

10-31-2012 03:43:53 | More by Murrhey
Douberd

Netherlands

3.25/5  rDev -7.9%

330 ml bottle, part of a Beers Of The World package. Ingredients are water, barley malt and hops, with an ABV of 4,9%. Poured into my pokal glass.
To begin with the bottle, I really liked the minimal and old fashioned label. No gender specified on the front label but on the back it says "Stiegl-Goldbrau" and in english "A wonderful refreshing Salzburg lager beer". Colour is deep golden yellow, with two fingers of white head. Average retention, leaves light lacing behind. Minimal activity in the glass.
Very malty on the nose, smells like a typical lager, and actually on the back label is referred to as a lager. Nevertheless, nice smell, makes you thirsty for the beer.
NIce taste too, mostly on the malty side again. Very slighty bitter on the aftertaste.
Medium thin body and average carboantion. Dry on the palate.
Nice beer, nothing to write at home about, but pleasanty drinkable. I don't have any other austrian beer examples to compare, but I find it quite good.

10-25-2012 17:48:21 | More by Douberd
StaveHooks

Oklahoma

3.83/5  rDev +8.5%

Ontap at Siegi's in Tulsa.

A - Pours a clear golden body, with a stark white head provides excellent lacing and tight spiderweb lacing patterns.

S - Clean grain, very yeasty, lightly sweet and fruity with a touch of grassy hops.

T - Grainy malt, lager yeast, honey, nice and fruity, earthy noble hops provide a clean bitterness. The finish is crisp and clean with a fruity aftertaste.

M - Thicker body, medium carbonation, very smooth with a crisp finish.

I'm reviewing this as a Helles Lager. Not sure why this is under the Oktoberfest style on here. Very bright and traditional flavors with incredible balance. I could have easily had 2 liters of this stuff.

09-30-2012 14:24:17 | More by StaveHooks
T100Mark

3.55/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2 ounce green bottle with red and beige label (different look than BA photo).

Appearance - Bright. Golden. Small head that disappates quickly. No lacing to speak of.

Smell - Sourdough bread. Nice.

Taste - Citrus (lime?). Raw almonds.

Mouth - A bit of a buttery feel.

Overall - I don't mean this as a slam but this beer taste a bit like Corona. The beer is nice but lacks character.

09-10-2012 02:58:56 | More by T100Mark
chinchill

South Carolina

3.45/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

.5l mug ontap at Stieglkeller Salzburg (highly recommended venue)

Crystal clear and sparkling with a tremendous quantity of bubbles rising to a durable off-white head. The mug gets nicely coated with varied lacing.

Aroma of earthy hops, yeast, wet bread, toast and malt.
The flavor follows suit, although eding with a solid hop finish that is notably bitter.

M: crisp and lively but, despite appearances, not over-carbonated.

O: very nice if unremarkable beer. Good with food. I like that it is a bit more hoppy and bitter than expected.

08-24-2012 21:32:44 | More by chinchill
jtierney89

3.3/5  rDev -6.5%

Lightly hazed golden color with not very much head. Malty nose of caramel and toffee. Very faint earthy hop profile.

Extremely clean and crisp tasting. If this is a Marzen though, what is Stiegl Marzen? This beer has Marzen like qualities but I'm a little confused by it all. There's rich vienna like malt in their with a toffee cara-pils like taste which is cleaned up by an extremely mild hop presence. A very malty beer and does taste like a very rich Oktoberfest just without a deeper hue. Simple but pretty well brewed. Nothing to complain about and has a bit of an edge on some other brews. It's year round though so you Oktoberfest lovers should get all over this one. Clean, smooth, and balanced. Pretty good.

06-18-2012 03:23:56 | More by jtierney89
Kromes

Georgia

3.43/5  rDev -2.8%

A: A clear straw color with a thin line of white bubbles on top.

S: A sweet toasted honey malt aroma.

T: Same from the aroma. Sweet honey malt with a little bit of grain and a slight lingering floral hop bitterness in the finish.

M: Light with good carbonation. Easy to drink.

O: Not a bad Marzen. There are better out there....this one is just above average.

06-03-2012 18:17:23 | More by Kromes
UCLABrewN84

3.13/5  rDev -11.3%

Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with a 1/2 inch foamy bone colored head that settles to an oily film on top of the beer. Small dots and streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of grain, malt, grass, and slight skunk. Taste is of grain, malt, and some herbal and grassy hop flavors. There is a mild bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty average beer and nothing all that special in my opinion.

06-02-2012 04:01:43 | More by UCLABrewN84
steveh

4.08/5  rDev +15.6%

Being on a well-made light lager kick of recent weeks, and having a conversation about Stiegl in cans with another old-timer (like me), I thought I'd try it out again. Probably the first time since my last trip to Europe many moons ago.

I almost reviewed this as the Pils, but I see the fine print is calling this the Goldbräu Premium Lager (Märzen..?).

A -- Pours a slightly hazy, straw-gold color with a big, dense, long-lasting white head (rather Pils-like, actually).

S -- Big bready malts up front with mellow spicy - even slightly citrus - hops back and mild DMS.

T -- Same big, bready, mildly sweet malts up front that seem to linger then blend quickly into spicy hops -- then gone! The breadiness lingers in the aftertaste and the citrus character and some mild bitterness make themselves apparent in the finish, but that's it. It's really a rather smooth, easy drink with no bells or whistles.

M -- Mouthfeel is soft and smooth to lightly crisp with a dry finish and light body.

O -- Very easy to slug down, but hardly any form of Märzen. Sort of a cross between a German Pils and Bavarian Helles. The good breadiness is delicious up front with the mild hop bitterness in the finish that makes you think Pils, but either way -- this is a pretty satisfying beer for an after-worker.

04-30-2012 20:48:51 | More by steveh
SuperSpy

Georgia

2.5/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a green bottle. Let's hope it's not skunked.

Golden and just a little hazy. Not much head to speak of but it's also not totally dead.

There really isn't much to speak of in the aroma. There is a weak apple juice smell but nothing that really lets me know I'm about to drink a beer.

There is some sweet malt, a bit of grass, and unfortunately a little bit of skunked hops. Very crisp and light. Overall the flavor isn't great but it is refreshing.

Sadly the overall impression is that this really isn't all that good. I've had this on tap in Salzburg and it was excellent, but I guess being so far from the source has left this beer underwhelming.

04-09-2012 22:57:53 | More by SuperSpy