Stiegl Goldbräu - Stieglbrauerei zu Salzburg GmbH

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-08-2002

to view more.
Ratings: 324 | Reviews: 153
3.78/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer is perfect Austrian lager dark golden color and a faint sweetness in taste.

4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

Keg of Stiegl Gold drank.

4.65/5  rDev +32.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Nobody's perfect but this is close for a relaxation bier

4.88/5  rDev +38.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

My favorite lager (marzen) to date. Perfectly balanced.

Initial sweetness, mild hop, great malt finish, soft smooth mouth feel. Full bodied.
My go-to brew.

2.08/5  rDev -40.9%

Boring and stale taste. Not a fan

3.28/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Is this really a Märzen? It's way too light, yet too sweet for a Pils and too heavy for a Helles. This almost seems like more of a Dortmunder without a crackery flavor.

It's OK...you can do better for Central Europe. Their Pils is better.

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

Great marzen brew...One of the best from Austria

3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Stiegl Goldbräu
500 ml brown glass bottle
1.05€ @ BILLA, Singerstraße 6, Wien

Stiegl Goldbräu is a basic Euro lager. It's clean and well-made, combining a basic, gently bready malt with a very firm bitterness and some floral and grassy hops.

This beer is what it is, a Pilsener style beer. Its not the best I have ever had but its not the worst. I think it costs more than its worth, but its solid. I was interested in trying it. But it was nothing special. Average beer. There are adjunct lagers out there from the US that are as good as this one for a quarter of the price.

3.67/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I poured this chilled in a wheat glass.

The color is clear golden with 2 finger rocky white head. The smell is fruity and lightly tangy with mild yeast ester and malt smell is noticeable. The feel is decent with good carbonation level and mildly c reamy texture with medium body and semi-dry lightly bitter finish.

The taste is very good with good malt body and light yeast in the front wtih slight hop giving a mild citrus and light spiced with subtle sweetness and light dry malt/ yeast essence in the finish. Overall this is a very good beer, enjoyable and went well with my bacon and egg breakfast taco-nice balance of malt and hops

3.29/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Eine marzen?! Nein, kwatch! Das ist eine Euro pale lager.

There was nothing here resembling a festbier. This was fairly bland overall. Sweet bready malts that come across as kind of adjunct-y. Maybe a little grassy hop at the end. Heavy feeling overall.

4.15/5  rDev +17.9%

Served in a 0.5L Stiegl...glass...at Beelow's.

At the time of this writing, this beer is classified as an O-Fest. ...The hell did I miss!? Whatever. Anyway, this stuff pours a clear brass topped by a finger of white foam. The nose comprises fresh flowers, grass, mild biscuit, and a very slight twinge of pine needle. The taste brings in more of the same, the flowers and grass really shining brightly, showing off what simplicity can achieve. The body is a hefty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a crisp finish. Overall, this was a damn fine beer (awful for an O-Fest...), one whose popularity here I can easily understand. Good times.

3.52/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Half litre bottle.

A: Golden, medium, thin head,
moderate retention, some lacing, appetizing.

S: The combination of orange and malt reminded me
of Munich Helles style beers.

T: Predominantly malt, hints of grain, crisp, clean tasting.

M: Slightly heavy body, moderate carbonation.

O: A decent enough subtle Helles, not earth shattering
but went down pretty well.

3.89/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.75

16.9 oz. can poured into nonic

L: yellow gold, light gold, clear as water ... so clear it's freaky; lots of bubbles cascading up through the column; almost no head, but I gave it a super light pour; foam is white, and it keeps a nice collar

S: sweet bread malt; sweet biscuits ... really sweet and fruity at times, almost as fruity as an English pale ale

T: a ton of sweet bread malt taste with a surprising bit of grassy hop bite -- it's not at the pilsener level, but there's detectable hops here, both grassy and spicy. the sweet malt backbone is the top feature. it's almost like apricot at times.

F: fantastic ... light, effervescent but solid

O: by far my favorite Octoberfest/Marzen so far ... in fact, it gives me hope for the style, because my run through a few of them last fall was disappointing. this one is super sweet but with a pinch of grain and hops to offer some balance.

for the price (about $9/4-pack of 16.9 oz. cans), it's neither cheap nor expensive ... but cheap enough and good enough that I can see myself grabbing a 4-pack of this a couple times a year. a great break from the American hop scene.

3.52/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1/2 liter bottle of Austrian lager, Stiegl. I'm accustomed to seeing the pils around my area. The local college in Steubenville has an exchange program with a college in Austria all of the Catholic college kids come back state side with a craving for this industrial style lager from Salzburg. A deep golden akin to apple juice with a large white head forming thick with flowing stream of carbonation bubbles in the glass, speckled lacing sporadic but there. The nose has nice floral/herbal hops in the back end with an upfront, bread dough sweetness with hints of cooked vegetable pretty straight forward Euro lager truth be told, but pretty clean so far. An enjoyable rolling malt sweetness, think biscuit malt with some mineral water, just enough herbal hops to give it a zing, completely clean dry crisp lagered finish. This beer is meant to be drank in number, not complex at all but doesn't really set out to be that type of beer. This is industrial style mass produced lager with a decent flavor, I can't complain it is what it is. Not leaps and bounds above an American style light lager, but there's more tradition in this glass than your average BMC. Goldbrau is right it says it all it's Gold beer, highly force carbonated yet finishes clean with just enough hop snap to keep you coming back for another sip. If those college kids want to relive their semester abroad more power to them, I can see the sentimental value in a lot of bad beers this is just extremely middle of the road to be a go to beer for me.

3.49/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had a glass at 1600 Bier Haus in Calgary. A bit of a rarity on tap, one is more likely to run into its German Pils stablemate. The darker Goldbrau is in fact pretty light, maybe just on the orange side of lemon yellow, with a little white foam. Aroma is an interesting blend of sweet corn (I'd be surprised if there is actual corn in here but perhaps), biscuit, and a bit of a funky "off" note that actually sort of works since it is subtle and far from overpowering. Old wet malt? Anyhow, taste is quite tart and acidic with a decent amount of carbonation, brown sugar and sweet dough with a little noble hop spice and a mellow sweet cherry note (a bit like cherry gum) that shows up early and persists through the crisp finish. A subdued but classy and well-executed Oktoberfest, just this side of a Pils or Euro lager really in terms of appearance and flavor, but with some rich malt character and no obvious flaws.

2.85/5  rDev -19%

16.9 fl oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on or freshness date present. My third beer from this brewery. I recently drank the Stiegl Radler Lemon, which is made using 50% of this beer, so I'm interested to see how it fares without the addition of lemon soda. Expectations are fairly low. Listed as a 'premium lager' on the bottle, but listed as an Oktoberfest on BeerAdvocate.

Poured into a Miller Lite pint glass.

A - Pours a clear golden lager yellow colored body with a hint of amber in there. About one finger of bone white foam for a head that dies out instantly. No lacing.

S - Smell is bland. Cooked corn, grains, white bread, malt sweetness, and some wet cardboard type smell.

T - Taste follows the nose: cooked corn & grains, wheat, bready malt sweetness, and a crisp carbonated finish.

M - Feel is smooth, clean, wet, and grainy with a bit of coarse over-carbonation on the back end.

Overall, it is about what I expected. Inoffensive, drinkable, but definitely not out to break any new barriers or anything. Probably not a beer I would go out of my way to buy again, but I would certainly drink it again. I look forward to trying the rest of the beers from this brewery.

Stiegl Goldbräu Premium Lager ---3/5.

1.98/5  rDev -43.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.5

This bottle has been sitting in the fridge for quite a while. We have about 30 beers in the kitchen ready to drink. I feel like I have had this before, but can't remember when and under what circumstances. We have been drinking IPAs all night. Today is National IPA Day. So raise a glass to hops… let's drink!

This beer, coming all the way from Austria, is a "premium lager". Curious what they consider premium. We might be reviewing two tonight… so let's hope this one gets the party started. Cheers!

In the Glass: By premium they must mean a TON of carbonation! I tried pouring this and all I got was foam. The foam settles quickly, but it did leave a good 5 finger head by the time the bottle was empty. Those bubbles are leaving a really nice thick creamy lace that I am excited about. This is the only beer on the list from this brewing company, so I assume it is their best offering. Let's see what she smells like.

Nose: There is a hint of funk in there, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. That is what I expect from these weird European beers. It reminds me of my time in Poland. Their beers aren't the best, but they are easy to drink. And drink we did! We drank more vodka than anything. Anyway, back to the Stiegl.

Flavor: Before I take a drink I know what this will taste like. Let's see if I am right. Yep. I was. It is thin, boring, and to most… gross. It's not gross, but that same funky aroma carries to the palate. The beer is really easy to drink, but man… I wouldn't want a pitcher of this. Think about how we view Bud Light. It's like that, but not as good! I know, right?

Mouthfeel: What mouthfeel? It is thin, and almost drinks like water. The ABV is low, too. I am not sure why someone would order this. I mean, do they not have good beers in Austria? I keep looking at the word "premium" on the label. Ha.

Aftertaste: There isn't much of an aftertaste. What does linger are those same funky notes I keep referencing. Have you ever had a bottle (or can) of Heineken? It's that sort of forced funky goodness you get. There are days I crave that. Especially on hot summer night. But tonight, even though it is hot outside, I am not too pumped about this beer.

This is NOT what I could consider premium. If you want a thin beer that tastes almost infected, then grab a bottle of this. Other than that, avoid.

4.24/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: One finger head. Dark yellow color.

S: Light. Wheaty.

T: Very different. My first impression was, "whoa." I mean that in neither a good way nor a bad way. I've simply never had a beer with such a bready aftertaste.

M: It goes down smooth but drops a bale of wheat
on the back of your tongue on the way down.

O: I like it. Very different than anything my young pallet has ever tasted before. Good balance. I can hear the hops but they're not blowing out my eardrums. Might not be an all-time-great beer but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

4.55/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a glass mug. First time drinking it.

A- Golden yellow. Bubbles streaming up. One finger head that fizzles down, but leaves a little bit. Not much lacing. Looks good.

S- Bready, malts, some hops. Fresh smelling.

T- Wow, this has a very bready and malty taste. It has a very little hops, but it has enough slight hop bitterness to mellow out the malty taste. A very nice balance. Slightly bitter, just the right amount.
Aftertaste is nicely bready and slight hop, but clean.

M- Clean, light, crisp. Carbonation is moderate.

Drinkability- Very drinkable. It flows so smoothly.

O- Overall, I'm very impressed by this Austrian beer. Very tasty. This was a fantastic surprise.

3.51/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

(have a bit of a cold...but here goes)

A - clear straw with a small head which dissipates quickly. Little lacing

S - sweet, malty, fruity maybe? - mild and pleasant

T - cookies and malt. The wheaty flavor is mild but balanced by slight background hops. Enjoyable and tasty even if it's not too complex

M - mildly carbonated. There is a rich mouthfeel that lingers and adds body but leaves no bitterness or cloying aftertaste.

O - Definitely a very nice beer. This is one I'll buy again and one I'll offer to friends. An excellent way to pull people up out of the miry clay of Miller/Bud/Coors.

A: Pours a clear golden color with a big head that fades to decent lacing.

S: Aroma of malt sweetness and touch of honey.

T: Taste of malt sweetness with a bit of honey. Mild bitterness and a fairly clean finish.

F: Light body, smooth and a bit too sweet.

O: Decent beer good for a couple.

3.49/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap in a pint glass

Appearance – Served a golden orange colored brew with a one finger white head. The head faded very fast leaving only a light level of lace.

Smell- The nose is largely of a bready and lightly fruity smell. Mixed with this are notes of toasted malt and a very light earthy and grassy hop smell.

Taste –The taste begins much sweeter upfront with notes of caramel and some light fruit sweetness. Mixed with the sweeter flavors is a bready and lightly toasted grain flavor which creates a base for the flavors. The sweet dwindles as the flavor advances more and the more and some bitter hop of a grassy nature comes to the tongue. These flavors with a very light spicy flavor, in the end, leave a moderately crisp and fairly clean flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel –The body of the beer was on the medium side in terms of its thickness and creaminess with a carbonation level that was a little above average. The feel made for a drinkable brew, but still allowed some of the sweeter and lightly hopped flavors to shine through.

Overall – An easy drinking and quite flavorful Marzen.

3.7/5  rDev +5.1%

on tap at falling rock. I got this with a sandwich while I was waiting for the pliny the younger tapping. was looking for the least offensive, most neutral brew I could find, as I needed to clear the palate for what I knew would be one of the best beers of all time. it came in a pint glass, perfectly clear and golden with a finger or so of thick white fluff. the nose was super fresh, very very german in origin from the malt. fits all the stereotypes, but seems to have more body than some of the standard offerings in this style. unfortunately though, the nose is this beer's best feature. it tastes a little old, mildly metallic, and lazily handled. the malt freshness didn't come through the thicker body, and there was a starchy flavor to this that just dragged the whole thing down. I didn't even get spicy food and it couldn't clear my palate for me. it got even more heavy as it warmed, and left me pretty unsatisfied, although I will say again that the nose of this beer is very promising, and I will have to give the bottled version a fair shake at some point. overall a very plain beer, something for the BMC drinker in your life, since its a tad more hoppy than the generic stuff, but its not worth the import price.

4.56/5  rDev +29.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Stiegl Goldbrau has a thick, fluffy, white head, a hazy, golden, bubbly appearance, filled with tiny white sediment specks, and a thick, white lacing sheen left on the glass. The aroma is of sweet, pungent, full barley malt, and the taste is of sweet, bready, biscuity barley malt, with a pleasant hop bitterness at the sip’s end. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Stiegl Goldbrau finishes semi-dry, sweet, mild, and highly drinkable. Overall, this is a great beer, and I highly recommend it!

RJT