Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Stiegl Goldbräu - Stieglbrauerei zu Salzburg GmbH

Stiegl GoldbräuStiegl Goldbräu

Stieglbrauerei zu Salzburg GmbH visit their website

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-08-2002

The best beer in the world. Without rival - except perhaps Weihenstephaner.

I have had this beer both on tap and in a 16oz bottle. It is a remarkable beer in either form. I seek it out. I don't think I have a single negative comment about this beer - to my palate it is perfect in every way. It pours a pure, bright golden color with a white head. The smell is primarily of yeast - it reminds me of making bread, the subtle burn you feel if you bring your nose close to the bowl of yeast and sugar and water. There is some of that in the flavor as well. There is some hop, but its bitterness is negated by the malt and yeast. The malt flavor is not detectable per se - it is felt in the soft texture of the beer and it counters the bitterness of hops. Yeast is the dominant flavor. Breadiness. Mouthfeel is superior. It feels smooth and wet - there is not a hint of chalkiness or dryness to be found here. Like a loaf of bread, this beer can become heavy if one overindulges. That said, it is highly drinkable if your intent is to savor its impeccable flavor. If you, like me, love lagers, this is a beer you should seek out - there is nothing revolutionary about it...German purity law etc...but it is so perfectly executed that I simply cannot imagine a better, more satisfying beer.

4.88/5  rDev +39.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

My favorite lager (marzen) to date. Perfectly balanced.

Initial sweetness, mild hop, great malt finish, soft smooth mouth feel. Full bodied.
My go-to brew.

4.6/5  rDev +31.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Had this beer multiple times on tap on a visit to Salzburg. It was a wonderful accompaniment to my typical meals of sausage & kraut. It balanced those flavors perfectly with a light sweetness that came out against the sour and salty flavors of the food. It has been brewed in Salzburg for hundreds of years (Mozart drank it). Wish I could get it stateside!

4.56/5  rDev +30.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Stiegl Goldbrau has a thick, fluffy, white head, a hazy, golden, bubbly appearance, filled with tiny white sediment specks, and a thick, white lacing sheen left on the glass. The aroma is of sweet, pungent, full barley malt, and the taste is of sweet, bready, biscuity barley malt, with a pleasant hop bitterness at the sip’s end. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Stiegl Goldbrau finishes semi-dry, sweet, mild, and highly drinkable. Overall, this is a great beer, and I highly recommend it!

4.55/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a glass mug. First time drinking it.

A- Golden yellow. Bubbles streaming up. One finger head that fizzles down, but leaves a little bit. Not much lacing. Looks good.

S- Bready, malts, some hops. Fresh smelling.

T- Wow, this has a very bready and malty taste. It has a very little hops, but it has enough slight hop bitterness to mellow out the malty taste. A very nice balance. Slightly bitter, just the right amount.
Aftertaste is nicely bready and slight hop, but clean.

M- Clean, light, crisp. Carbonation is moderate.

Drinkability- Very drinkable. It flows so smoothly.

O- Overall, I'm very impressed by this Austrian beer. Very tasty. This was a fantastic surprise.

4.53/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is a sentimental one for me to write about, as it was my standby beer when I studied in the town that this is produced in last year.

I picked up a 4 can pack of half liters, which although are not as good as the bottles, are much cheaper and more available than the alternative.

Anyways, I cooled these down to about 43 degrees Fahrenheit, which was similar to the temp i drank these at when I left them in the snow on my balcony.

Always a great head retention, this is a great Austrian example of the Bavarian style. The smell is light hops and grass, the flavour reflecting this.

I would absolutely recommend this anyone happily.

4.47/5  rDev +28.1%

This is a wonderful, full-bodied, flavourful, golden lager. I want to point out, after reading those reviews wondering why this is identified as a Marzen that I think this is put under the Marzen category because this is what Marzens are normally like in Austria, rather than Germany. One book I have read, edited by Michael Jackson himself, discusses this distinction, stating that Austrian Marzens are a lighter-bodied, lower-alcohol (up to 5% abv) golden lager rather than the higher abv (around 5.5-6%) type people typically associate with Bavarian beer.

It's deep gold with a big white head that shrinks slowly to a permanent, small white head.

The aroma, rather sweet, is full-bodied, very nice and aromatic, with grain, white bread, honey, a strong, flowery hop character of herbs and pine.

The taste is full-bodied and aromatic in the mouth with a strong notes of grain, herbs, honey, and flowers. It has a light bitterness and a wonderful finish of sweet, fruity grain and grassy bitterness. It also has a slightly unusual quality that is hard to describe and is rather oily. It's refreshing and smooth but wonderfully tasty.

4.36/5  rDev +24.9%

Tried this beer for the first time. This is a very good beer. I poured it into a glass and it had a small white head that disappered quick. It poured a very light golden color. While the beer was sitting on the table I looked down at it, the bottom of the glass was almost clear as water. Took the first sip and it was very mild, almost creamy. I could also feel the carbonation on my tounge. It wasn't intense. It was actually quite a nice feel. This is definatly a beer worth trying.

4.35/5  rDev +24.6%

Great beer all around. Everything expected for the style and the ABV. Poured a nice 2 finger huge white head straw golden with lots of carbonation. Smell very grassy little sweetness to it. Definitely drinkable and perfect for a summer day laying by the pool. Have recommended this beer to many of my customers who are looking for something simple not crazy and have yet to hear a complaint!!

4.34/5  rDev +24.4%

500 mL poured into a pilsener glass

A - clear, pale yellow, lotsa carbonation, thin head, very little lacing

S - sweet malts -- some mild hops as well

T - sweet and bright, very bright; hops are more prominent than the malt

M - very crisp and clean, a bit fizzy

D - super easy to drink -- appealing flavor has made me get this repeatedly; for a lighter beer than I typically drink, this is crazy good

4.3/5  rDev +23.2%

This is listed as a Marzen/Octoberfest. I'm no expert, but I'm about 90% sure this is not the correct style designation for this beer. This is a golden lager? OK, whatever they say here, but I'm not going to review this as a fest beer, since it is clearly not. The color is spot on: golden. Thick head that dies quickly. Nice foamy lacing. Basic, good, clean beer smells: barley, grain, light hops, some sweetness and caramel. The flavor is bright, clean and rich. Mellow grass, rich grain, sweet mild hops with a slightly dry finish. Very sturdy, yet refreshing. This is a high quality beer.

4.25/5  rDev +21.8%

A - Golden, totally crystal-clear, and capped with an inch of white foam.

S - Bright honey and blossom-y floral notes are fairly prominent.

T - The taste seems full-flavored and yet it is actually very light and softly sweet. Clover honey is a definite suggestion along with a faint hint of jasmine and green grass. This is quite a bit like a Dortmunder, from my recollection. I do not taste any caramel, and the brew is not a sweaty Saaz bomb, which is what comes to mind when Märzen/Oktoberfest is broached.

M - Softly carbonated, quite enhancing.

D - Very very drinkable. I like it much better than most (if not all) brews coined "Märzen/Oktoberfest."

4.24/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: One finger head. Dark yellow color.

S: Light. Wheaty.

T: Very different. My first impression was, "whoa." I mean that in neither a good way nor a bad way. I've simply never had a beer with such a bready aftertaste.

M: It goes down smooth but drops a bale of wheat
on the back of your tongue on the way down.

O: I like it. Very different than anything my young pallet has ever tasted before. Good balance. I can hear the hops but they're not blowing out my eardrums. Might not be an all-time-great beer but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

4.2/5  rDev +20.3%

This was the German lager that made me realize there was more to life than Becks! There's not a lot of complexity here, as one would expect, just a solid, great tasting and easy drinking beer. The sweetness of the malt dominates the smell and the taste, it sits in the glass a clear golden color, and it goes down easily. Very refreshing.

In the can I find metallic hints that may indicate this particular can is past its prime. However, if you can find this on tap you will be mighty pleased. Glad it's held up for me after several intervening years of more and varied styles.

4.15/5  rDev +18.9%

Served in a 0.5L Stiegl...glass...at Beelow's.

At the time of this writing, this beer is classified as an O-Fest. ...The hell did I miss!? Whatever. Anyway, this stuff pours a clear brass topped by a finger of white foam. The nose comprises fresh flowers, grass, mild biscuit, and a very slight twinge of pine needle. The taste brings in more of the same, the flowers and grass really shining brightly, showing off what simplicity can achieve. The body is a hefty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a crisp finish. Overall, this was a damn fine beer (awful for an O-Fest...), one whose popularity here I can easily understand. Good times.

4.14/5  rDev +18.6%

Since when is this beer a Märzen/Oktoberfest... someone categorized it wrong...

Review from notes: had this at a weird Indian/Austrian/Italian place in Salzburg called "Zum Drei Genuss" :)

A: decent head, but weak retention. Gold color... nothing special.

S: Big full smelling malts, a little hop bitterness. Maybe a bit of honey smell.

T: Full malts up front and ends with a crisp pleasant hop tingling. The aftertaste is "herb"... cant describe it in English. bitter... sour... earthy... I don't know

M: Medium body and carbonation. Feels great in the mouth.

D: Can't get more drinkable than a beer like Stiegl

4.07/5  rDev +16.6%

Appearance- Pale yellow color with one finger of white head that quickly settles to a thin cap. Light spotty lacing.

Smell- Noble hops, spicy and peppery. Slightly grainy and some pale malt.

Taste- A good dose of Noble hops upfront. Some grains and cracker qualities. Bitterness is moderate for a European lager. Finishes dry and clean.

Mouthfeel- Light body with a well matched carbonation.

Drinkability- Picked this up for $1.99 for a .5L bottle. A good sessionable beer.

4.07/5  rDev +16.6%

Being on a well-made light lager kick of recent weeks, and having a conversation about Stiegl in cans with another old-timer (like me), I thought I'd try it out again. Probably the first time since my last trip to Europe many moons ago.

I almost reviewed this as the Pils, but I see the fine print is calling this the Goldbräu Premium Lager (Märzen..?).

A -- Pours a slightly hazy, straw-gold color with a big, dense, long-lasting white head (rather Pils-like, actually).

S -- Big bready malts up front with mellow spicy - even slightly citrus - hops back and mild DMS.

T -- Same big, bready, mildly sweet malts up front that seem to linger then blend quickly into spicy hops -- then gone! The breadiness lingers in the aftertaste and the citrus character and some mild bitterness make themselves apparent in the finish, but that's it. It's really a rather smooth, easy drink with no bells or whistles.

M -- Mouthfeel is soft and smooth to lightly crisp with a dry finish and light body.

O -- Very easy to slug down, but hardly any form of Märzen. Sort of a cross between a German Pils and Bavarian Helles. The good breadiness is delicious up front with the mild hop bitterness in the finish that makes you think Pils, but either way -- this is a pretty satisfying beer for an after-worker.

4.05/5  rDev +16%

Not sure why this is listed as a marzen. Not sure it qualifies as a vienna style either. I'd say its a slightly lighter and more malty version of the pils and would still fit in that category.
I'd also say that I unapologeticallly like a good pils, and this is one. Not as good as the Columbus but good nonetheless.
Aroma is nice fresh light mix of hops and malt. Pours classic for style with dark gold, clear as water, big full head that takes its time to settle and leaves lace. Very refreshing quality, but not as crisp as Columbus. Less hop presence in taste, but still there in a medium bitterness, some taste and medium dry lingering. Medium carbonation, but goes down smoothly and quickly. A very easy drinker.
This could make a good summer session brew. Not overly complex, but a nice blending. Some may find it lacks, but I find it good.

4.03/5  rDev +15.5%

Served from the tap on the official long glass it looks pretty attractive, it does forms a nice head, though it might be extra-carbonated for some tastes I found it alright, smells to grain and sweet malt. A well balanced lager in terms of taste, its pleasant to drink.

I've tried this both on bottle and tap, both are very competent.

If anyone here is a bottle cap collector, these bottles, at least by the time I tried this beer for the first time, and maybe it wasn't the only one, had all different caps, European flags to be more precise, I found em to be a good addition.

4.02/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured from 500mL can into a pint glass.

Appearance: pale golden hue with just the tiniest touch of haze. There's a good effervescence and a finger of creamy white foam. Not too bad.

Smell: sweet malt with the tiniest hint of grain and a good dose of noble hops. This is exactly what I want out of this kind of beer.

Taste: much like the aroma, there's a lightly sweet malt with just a hint of grain which provides a nice, drying contrast to the sweetness. Hops are present but mild, as the style dictates. Quite good!

Mouthfeel: medium-light body but a big and well-integrated carbonation which is bodaciously creamy -- moreso than this style usually is. Perhaps not to-style, but I love the effect. Great!

Overall: a very good Munich Helles. I would definitely have this again and again.

I had this on tap at the Black Forest in a half liter mug. It’s brilliant gold with a 1” white foam cap. It has light malt flavors but is not as rich as other Oktoberfests.

Poured from a half liter brown bottle into an Austrian stein I was given as a gift this summer. Imbibed during dinner after a workout so I am looking forward to this particular refreshment.

A - A slight bit darker than your average lager. Pours a bubbly 2 finger head that keeps rising as the bubbles disperse about the glass. Doesn't last too long, but leaves pretty decent lacing as it goes down.

S - Smells very clean and sweet. Can detect some hops on the nose but not too intense.

T - Very clean and easy. Sweet up front into a biscuity malt profile with a great balance of bitterness from the hops. I don't really get much hop flavor, but the bitterness is at the perfect level for this brew.

M - Light and crisp.

O - Pretty good brew. Maybe not worth the 3.99 I payed for it, but certainly much better than many other "macro" brewed lagers from Europe.

Curious looking red and white can caught me eye at Bert's today and made the trip home with me. Pours a crystal clear pale straw color with a smallish fluffy white head that dissipates slowly. Smells of grainy pilsner malt with hints of honey and a distant but present lightly toasted malt aroma. Floral hops are there but restrained. Simple clean aroma. Taste is bready grainy with hints of melanoid, could this brew be decocted? Sweet honey like grain with bits of green apple and a hint of astringency near the finish. Medium body, sweet bready mouthfeel, Medium to high level of carbonation. I hardly ever go for a lager, but today I'm kinda glad I did. This is a great flavorful easy drinking beer, I can see some of these in my future.

3.98/5  rDev +14%

Stiegl Salzburger Goldbrau Beer

Appearance: Clear straw yellow with a nice pillowy foam and the retention is excellent.

Smell: Euro lager all the way here, has that distinct pale malt smell mixing with noble euro hops and a breadyness through it all.

Taste: A really nice clean lager taste. Bready and that pale malt/tea like noble hop flavor combo is there once again. Other than that, there is not a whole lot else. Simple lager beer, being all it can be. A nice malty flavor lingers in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, lightly carbonated, smooth, easy to drink, not exactly crisp.

Overall: This is a no frills euro lager with no bite, light and smooth feel and fundamental beer flavors. A nice little find here, an obvious choice brew for the warmer months.

Stiegl Goldbräu from Stieglbrauerei zu Salzburg GmbH