Stiegl Goldbräu - Stieglbrauerei zu Salzburg GmbH

good

Stieglbrauerei zu Salzburg GmbH visit their website
Austria

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-08-2002)
1.55/5  rDev -56%

Poured into a tall pils glass it takes an aggressive pour but I managed to get a thin fizzy head that falls to a solid cover. Highly carbonated yellow body. Ring lace.

I didn't get much of the malts that I would expect in a Marzen. This has American Macro lager written all over it. Adjuncts, corn and a bit husky. There is maybe a touch more malt presence than most macro lagers but nothing to write home about. I can enjoy this style of beer if its at least clean and refreshing but this is neither. Metallic finish and huge corn syrup sweetness. Uggh

Notes: This is simply bad. No good way to sugar coat this offering.

DogFood11, Dec 05, 2006
1.99/5  rDev -43.5%

This bottle has been sitting in the fridge for quite a while. We have about 30 beers in the kitchen ready to drink. I feel like I have had this before, but can't remember when and under what circumstances. We have been drinking IPAs all night. Today is National IPA Day. So raise a glass to hops… let's drink!

This beer, coming all the way from Austria, is a "premium lager". Curious what they consider premium. We might be reviewing two tonight… so let's hope this one gets the party started. Cheers!

In the Glass: By premium they must mean a TON of carbonation! I tried pouring this and all I got was foam. The foam settles quickly, but it did leave a good 5 finger head by the time the bottle was empty. Those bubbles are leaving a really nice thick creamy lace that I am excited about. This is the only beer on the list from this brewing company, so I assume it is their best offering. Let's see what she smells like.

Nose: There is a hint of funk in there, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. That is what I expect from these weird European beers. It reminds me of my time in Poland. Their beers aren't the best, but they are easy to drink. And drink we did! We drank more vodka than anything. Anyway, back to the Stiegl.

Flavor: Before I take a drink I know what this will taste like. Let's see if I am right. Yep. I was. It is thin, boring, and to most… gross. It's not gross, but that same funky aroma carries to the palate. The beer is really easy to drink, but man… I wouldn't want a pitcher of this. Think about how we view Bud Light. It's like that, but not as good! I know, right?

Mouthfeel: What mouthfeel? It is thin, and almost drinks like water. The ABV is low, too. I am not sure why someone would order this. I mean, do they not have good beers in Austria? I keep looking at the word "premium" on the label. Ha.

Aftertaste: There isn't much of an aftertaste. What does linger are those same funky notes I keep referencing. Have you ever had a bottle (or can) of Heineken? It's that sort of forced funky goodness you get. There are days I crave that. Especially on hot summer night. But tonight, even though it is hot outside, I am not too pumped about this beer.

This is NOT what I could consider premium. If you want a thin beer that tastes almost infected, then grab a bottle of this. Other than that, avoid.

rickyleepotts, Aug 02, 2013

ygtbsm94, Jul 20, 2014

NappyB, Apr 10, 2014

graybayou, Nov 24, 2012

Roze, Aug 18, 2014
2.3/5  rDev -34.7%

500ml can (groovy looking can)

Pours a clear bright yellow, with a couple of fingers of head that disappears quickly.

Smells sweet, metallic, and somehow... like something wet that shouldn't be.

Initial taste is metallic with a grainy undertone (the graininess is really the only redeemable thing about this beer worth mentioning). Subsequent tasting kept reminding me of something and it finally came to me - the smell of the interior of an old mid-80s car on a hot summer day. Sort of like warm plastic, old sweat, and dust.

I only finished this beer to keep it on my tongue while writing this review.

Maybe it was a bad can or something, but I was not pleased.

Aftertaste is like a mouthful of dimes.

KingHeroical, Jul 14, 2011
2.38/5  rDev -32.4%

Pale golden color, white one finger head that sustains for a little bit. Mild fruity malt aroma mixed with dry grains and a slight honey sweetness. Drying bitter hops is more assertive in the taste and faint notes of lightly toasted grains, citrus and mild fruity malt. On the down side is a stale breadiness and a blanketed rice like blandness. The finish isn’t something I care to revisit with cereal grains, some floral hops, and a cheap white wine flavor. Mouthfeel is thin but descent and carbonation is moderate, a little too fizzy with micro foam.

cabsandking, Oct 29, 2007
2.45/5  rDev -30.4%

Full golden color, beautiful white and creamy foam. A little too carbonated.
The smell is very malty. Nothing exceptional, but decent.
The taste is on the maltiness, too, but there is also a quite good bitterness. Here again, drinkable, but not more than standard.
No defects, no regards.
Drinkable.

stcules, Jan 05, 2006
2.48/5  rDev -29.5%

Appearance- Golden and very light bubbly. Barely any head but decent lace.

Smell- Very mild almost non existent.

Taste- I was very disappointed it tasted like cheap mass produced American beer not like some of the better beers you get in that region. SOUR! Grassy with a lot of bitterness but very weird sweetness but is not balanced because the flavors are not at the same time.

Mouthfeel- The best part of this beer is it is not harsh.

Drinkability- It has a pucker factor that I do not like but as it sit and gets flat oddly it gets better. ( I hate admitting that.)

MTNboy, Aug 21, 2007
2.48/5  rDev -29.5%

This comes off as a trashy Euro-lager. Gold colour with a fluffy white head and a skunky, adjunct smell.

Sour, corn mash taste with some hop bitterness. Bland malts. Decent mouthfeel, but a very foul aftertaste. Not worth repeating. Just another generic Euro lager, no different than any of the other dozen on the shelf.

BDTyre, Aug 01, 2008
2.5/5  rDev -29%

Pours clear gold, with some head initially, but almost no head retention.

A dominant smell of malt. wet hay, and nothing else.

Tastes of light malts, no hops, little carbonation.

Mouthfeel is very light, with little carbonation.

A couple of sips and it is time to move on. This may be the style, but it does not hold interest.

Beerenauslese, Mar 02, 2010

Mattias, Jul 07, 2013

rcatalano, Feb 04, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -29%

i found this beer while on vacation. it looked interesting so i tried it. this is so so. not anything that jumps at you. pale yellow color, medium carbonation and a head that dissappeared. decent malt taste and smell but not very strong.

a decent light beer that i wont buy again. for the price i can do better.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

giblet, Jul 27, 2007
2.5/5  rDev -29%

Poured from a green bottle. Let's hope it's not skunked.

Golden and just a little hazy. Not much head to speak of but it's also not totally dead.

There really isn't much to speak of in the aroma. There is a weak apple juice smell but nothing that really lets me know I'm about to drink a beer.

There is some sweet malt, a bit of grass, and unfortunately a little bit of skunked hops. Very crisp and light. Overall the flavor isn't great but it is refreshing.

Sadly the overall impression is that this really isn't all that good. I've had this on tap in Salzburg and it was excellent, but I guess being so far from the source has left this beer underwhelming.

SuperSpy, Apr 09, 2012

Quorocker, Jan 04, 2014

BrienVoll, Nov 02, 2012
2.53/5  rDev -28.1%

Uninspired Euro lager. Drinking these things makes me want to write up a rubberstamp review - something I can just cut and paste and send. After all it's pretty much a rubberstamp beer, pretty much devoid of character wihout being offensive. Anyhow ...

Pale gold, moderate short-lived head with some soapy lace. Somewhat sweet up front, grainy, minimal hops. Not particularly memorable for better or worse.

TerryW, Jun 09, 2005
2.6/5  rDev -26.1%

Metallic tasting lager, although some creaminess though like a nitrotap..Medium mouthfeel. Passable, above Molson and even some watery micros, but not really a good beer. Not bad for The Beer Store and its thin selection. Pale gold. On the refreshing side.

Sammy, Jan 23, 2005
2.6/5  rDev -26.1%

11.2 ounce bottle - $1.79 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours out a clear, yellow body with a frothy, white head. Looks nice!

Smell: While it does look nice, it don't smell so nice, with a big whiff of skunkiness. Pity. Unlike the picture on the site, this bottle is unfortunately green not brown. Minutes later, the nose yields a soapy barley quality flecked with metal shavings and a dull hop spice note.

Taste: Light malts, lightly sweet, and with an odd splash of skim milk. Modest flavors of herbs, spice, and dried flower petals. Sufficiently bitter. A bit more sweetness precedes the drying, thinning finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Lightly carbonated, needing a bit more zing.

Overall: Given time for the skunkiness to blow into the next room, we were left with a general, at best generic European lager.

ChainGangGuy, Jul 26, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -25.3%

.5L emptied into a Pokal.

A: Pours a dull gold with a one finger head which quickly disappears. No lacing.

S: The smell entices with sweet malts and a nice hoppy note.

M: Watery, bordering on weak. Mild carbonation.

T: Bready malts dominate, with an undercurrent of hops which quickly disapates. Very shallow aftertaste of hops. Nothing here to distinguish itself.

D: Overall, a forgetable beer to be reached for as a last resort. I wrote this beer off a long time ago, but came back to it based on the positive reviews here. I'm sorry to say that it still disappoints on most levels and it's best to steer clear of it when there are so many better Märzens available in Austria.

sunrisesolara, Jan 27, 2010