Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Stiegl Goldbräu - Stieglbrauerei zu Salzburg GmbH

Stiegl GoldbräuStiegl Goldbräu

good

Stieglbrauerei zu Salzburg GmbH visit their website
Austria

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-08-2002

1.57/5  rDev -55%

Poured into a tall pils glass it takes an aggressive pour but I managed to get a thin fizzy head that falls to a solid cover. Highly carbonated yellow body. Ring lace.

I didn't get much of the malts that I would expect in a Marzen. This has American Macro lager written all over it. Adjuncts, corn and a bit husky. There is maybe a touch more malt presence than most macro lagers but nothing to write home about. I can enjoy this style of beer if its at least clean and refreshing but this is neither. Metallic finish and huge corn syrup sweetness. Uggh

Notes: This is simply bad. No good way to sugar coat this offering. (627 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -43.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.5

This bottle has been sitting in the fridge for quite a while. We have about 30 beers in the kitchen ready to drink. I feel like I have had this before, but can't remember when and under what circumstances. We have been drinking IPAs all night. Today is National IPA Day. So raise a glass to hops… let's drink!

This beer, coming all the way from Austria, is a "premium lager". Curious what they consider premium. We might be reviewing two tonight… so let's hope this one gets the party started. Cheers!

In the Glass: By premium they must mean a TON of carbonation! I tried pouring this and all I got was foam. The foam settles quickly, but it did leave a good 5 finger head by the time the bottle was empty. Those bubbles are leaving a really nice thick creamy lace that I am excited about. This is the only beer on the list from this brewing company, so I assume it is their best offering. Let's see what she smells like.

Nose: There is a hint of funk in there, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. That is what I expect from these weird European beers. It reminds me of my time in Poland. Their beers aren't the best, but they are easy to drink. And drink we did! We drank more vodka than anything. Anyway, back to the Stiegl.

Flavor: Before I take a drink I know what this will taste like. Let's see if I am right. Yep. I was. It is thin, boring, and to most… gross. It's not gross, but that same funky aroma carries to the palate. The beer is really easy to drink, but man… I wouldn't want a pitcher of this. Think about how we view Bud Light. It's like that, but not as good! I know, right?

Mouthfeel: What mouthfeel? It is thin, and almost drinks like water. The ABV is low, too. I am not sure why someone would order this. I mean, do they not have good beers in Austria? I keep looking at the word "premium" on the label. Ha.

Aftertaste: There isn't much of an aftertaste. What does linger are those same funky notes I keep referencing. Have you ever had a bottle (or can) of Heineken? It's that sort of forced funky goodness you get. There are days I crave that. Especially on hot summer night. But tonight, even though it is hot outside, I am not too pumped about this beer.

This is NOT what I could consider premium. If you want a thin beer that tastes almost infected, then grab a bottle of this. Other than that, avoid. (2,352 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -33.5%

500ml can (groovy looking can)

Pours a clear bright yellow, with a couple of fingers of head that disappears quickly.

Smells sweet, metallic, and somehow... like something wet that shouldn't be.

Initial taste is metallic with a grainy undertone (the graininess is really the only redeemable thing about this beer worth mentioning). Subsequent tasting kept reminding me of something and it finally came to me - the smell of the interior of an old mid-80s car on a hot summer day. Sort of like warm plastic, old sweat, and dust.

I only finished this beer to keep it on my tongue while writing this review.

Maybe it was a bad can or something, but I was not pleased.

Aftertaste is like a mouthful of dimes. (709 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -32.4%

Pale golden color, white one finger head that sustains for a little bit. Mild fruity malt aroma mixed with dry grains and a slight honey sweetness. Drying bitter hops is more assertive in the taste and faint notes of lightly toasted grains, citrus and mild fruity malt. On the down side is a stale breadiness and a blanketed rice like blandness. The finish isn’t something I care to revisit with cereal grains, some floral hops, and a cheap white wine flavor. Mouthfeel is thin but descent and carbonation is moderate, a little too fizzy with micro foam. (555 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Full golden color, beautiful white and creamy foam. A little too carbonated.
The smell is very malty. Nothing exceptional, but decent.
The taste is on the maltiness, too, but there is also a quite good bitterness. Here again, drinkable, but not more than standard.
No defects, no regards.
Drinkable. (299 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -28.9%

Appearance- Golden and very light bubbly. Barely any head but decent lace.

Smell- Very mild almost non existent.

Taste- I was very disappointed it tasted like cheap mass produced American beer not like some of the better beers you get in that region. SOUR! Grassy with a lot of bitterness but very weird sweetness but is not balanced because the flavors are not at the same time.

Mouthfeel- The best part of this beer is it is not harsh.

Drinkability- It has a pucker factor that I do not like but as it sit and gets flat oddly it gets better. ( I hate admitting that.) (582 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -28.9%

This comes off as a trashy Euro-lager. Gold colour with a fluffy white head and a skunky, adjunct smell.

Sour, corn mash taste with some hop bitterness. Bland malts. Decent mouthfeel, but a very foul aftertaste. Not worth repeating. Just another generic Euro lager, no different than any of the other dozen on the shelf. (321 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a green bottle. Let's hope it's not skunked.

Golden and just a little hazy. Not much head to speak of but it's also not totally dead.

There really isn't much to speak of in the aroma. There is a weak apple juice smell but nothing that really lets me know I'm about to drink a beer.

There is some sweet malt, a bit of grass, and unfortunately a little bit of skunked hops. Very crisp and light. Overall the flavor isn't great but it is refreshing.

Sadly the overall impression is that this really isn't all that good. I've had this on tap in Salzburg and it was excellent, but I guess being so far from the source has left this beer underwhelming. (664 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours clear gold, with some head initially, but almost no head retention.

A dominant smell of malt. wet hay, and nothing else.

Tastes of light malts, no hops, little carbonation.

Mouthfeel is very light, with little carbonation.

A couple of sips and it is time to move on. This may be the style, but it does not hold interest. (333 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

i found this beer while on vacation. it looked interesting so i tried it. this is so so. not anything that jumps at you. pale yellow color, medium carbonation and a head that dissappeared. decent malt taste and smell but not very strong.

a decent light beer that i wont buy again. for the price i can do better.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet (352 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Uninspired Euro lager. Drinking these things makes me want to write up a rubberstamp review - something I can just cut and paste and send. After all it's pretty much a rubberstamp beer, pretty much devoid of character wihout being offensive. Anyhow ...

Pale gold, moderate short-lived head with some soapy lace. Somewhat sweet up front, grainy, minimal hops. Not particularly memorable for better or worse. (409 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Metallic tasting lager, although some creaminess though like a nitrotap..Medium mouthfeel. Passable, above Molson and even some watery micros, but not really a good beer. Not bad for The Beer Store and its thin selection. Pale gold. On the refreshing side. (256 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -25.5%

11.2 ounce bottle - $1.79 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours out a clear, yellow body with a frothy, white head. Looks nice!

Smell: While it does look nice, it don't smell so nice, with a big whiff of skunkiness. Pity. Unlike the picture on the site, this bottle is unfortunately green not brown. Minutes later, the nose yields a soapy barley quality flecked with metal shavings and a dull hop spice note.

Taste: Light malts, lightly sweet, and with an odd splash of skim milk. Modest flavors of herbs, spice, and dried flower petals. Sufficiently bitter. A bit more sweetness precedes the drying, thinning finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Lightly carbonated, needing a bit more zing.

Overall: Given time for the skunkiness to blow into the next room, we were left with a general, at best generic European lager. (843 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -24.9%

11.2 oz bottle at Austrian restaurant, NYC. Pours pale straw with tall, long lasting, fluffy, white head and lively carbonation. Aroma is of grassy hops and pale malt. Body is medium and crisp. Pale malt and some hops combine on the palate. Finish is short, barely noticeable. Standard macro crap. (302 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -24.1%

.5L emptied into a Pokal.

A: Pours a dull gold with a one finger head which quickly disappears. No lacing.

S: The smell entices with sweet malts and a nice hoppy note.

M: Watery, bordering on weak. Mild carbonation.

T: Bready malts dominate, with an undercurrent of hops which quickly disapates. Very shallow aftertaste of hops. Nothing here to distinguish itself.

D: Overall, a forgetable beer to be reached for as a last resort. I wrote this beer off a long time ago, but came back to it based on the positive reviews here. I'm sorry to say that it still disappoints on most levels and it's best to steer clear of it when there are so many better Märzens available in Austria. (688 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Clear golden colour, big head that doesn't hold much, some lace. Smell of grass, grains, some malt. Medium body, average carbonation. Taste of grains, herbs, some sweetness. Average beer, nothing special. (204 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -19.8%

Served on tap.

Solid foam, stark white head left good lacing. Light golden yellow and crystal clear.

Aroma is grassy, flat.

Tastes very plain, like an American macro. Decent bitterness, but no hop presence.

Drinkability was poor. I just couldn't finish it, it was so unrefreshing and uninteresting. Even a flavor defect like skunkiness would have made it more interesting and maybe more palatable. (410 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -19.2%

On tap at the Kaiserhof Restaurant in San Diego where they call this "Stiegl Premium Lager." Crystal clear golden color in the mug. Average head doesn't stick around long. Very sparkly and sharp in the mouth.

An odd perfumey flavor seems to be the main sensation. That slightly spicy aroma enlivens this just a little. Some faint tang of hops along with that spicy mystery taste is actually the best feature. No malt flavor that I can detect.

This may be a little better than Serbian or Romanian lagers. You could pour this down your gullet for a thirst quencher, but even Heineken has more flavor. (600 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -18.3%

16.9 fl oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on or freshness date present. My third beer from this brewery. I recently drank the Stiegl Radler Lemon, which is made using 50% of this beer, so I'm interested to see how it fares without the addition of lemon soda. Expectations are fairly low. Listed as a 'premium lager' on the bottle, but listed as an Oktoberfest on BeerAdvocate.

Poured into a Miller Lite pint glass.

A - Pours a clear golden lager yellow colored body with a hint of amber in there. About one finger of bone white foam for a head that dies out instantly. No lacing.

S - Smell is bland. Cooked corn, grains, white bread, malt sweetness, and some wet cardboard type smell.

T - Taste follows the nose: cooked corn & grains, wheat, bready malt sweetness, and a crisp carbonated finish.

M - Feel is smooth, clean, wet, and grainy with a bit of coarse over-carbonation on the back end.

Overall, it is about what I expected. Inoffensive, drinkable, but definitely not out to break any new barriers or anything. Probably not a beer I would go out of my way to buy again, but I would certainly drink it again. I look forward to trying the rest of the beers from this brewery.

Stiegl Goldbräu Premium Lager ---3/5. (1,229 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -18.3%

Pours clear straw gold, topped with a sudsy head that doesn't last.

The aroma is rather grainy and a touch floral.

Mouthfeel is crisp, and is nicely carbonated.

Taste is malty, dark honey, raisins, and a little hoppy, but not so bitter.

All in all, this just passes. Not going to go out of my way to drink it again, but I wouldn't refuse. (342 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -18.1%

Poured from a 1pt .9 fl oz can into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- One finger rather flimsy white head, low retention, nice carbonation. Very unimpressive watery look, crystal clarity, thin golden color.

S- Smell is a vast improvement over the appearance. Golden malts, marshmallows.

T- Warm Marzen flavor. Nice malts and some golden hops. Not packing a huge punch, but tasty.

M- Medium bodied and creamy sort of feel.

O- Despite the atrocious look, this is a passable brew. (482 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -17.5%

--came in a red, cream colored can. The web site called it a 'nostalgia can'. Freshness date on bottom.
--poured a clear gold in color.
--average head with also average lacing

Took me a while to find out which Stiegl this was as the taste didn't really point me in this direction. Not a bad beer, kind of a malty/yeasty taste but not bad. I would like to try others in the family as I find them.
Thx (405 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -15.2%

Pours a pale golden color with a head that fizzles out almost as soon as it appears. Carbonation seems over-the-top despite the lack of head as bubbles shoot to the top of the brew with a relentless frequency.

Big, sweet malt nose with obvious honey and brown sugar. There is a troubling synthetic odor on the back waft that knocks this down a bit.

Once again, malt sweetness is highlighted here although it is lacking in complexity. A bit of a one-note brew with only a touch of hop bitterness on the finish and a lingering mash taste.

Mouthfeel is a downer as watery and fizzy are the descriptors that continue to pop into my head. There is an oiliness to the finish that, while usually a detractor, is actually welcome for its thickening quality here. Not a bad beer and it is all I've got tonight on this evening when my fellow Chicago BAs are enjoying the 2007 German Beerhall Crawl (yes, I know this is Austrian) with out me. I could have a few but I wouldn't seek this out. (989 characters)

A: Pours a clear golden color with a big head that fades to decent lacing.

S: Aroma of malt sweetness and touch of honey.

T: Taste of malt sweetness with a bit of honey. Mild bitterness and a fairly clean finish.

F: Light body, smooth and a bit too sweet.

O: Decent beer good for a couple. (296 characters)

This beer is what it is, a Pilsener style beer. Its not the best I have ever had but its not the worst. I think it costs more than its worth, but its solid. I was interested in trying it. But it was nothing special. Average beer. There are adjunct lagers out there from the US that are as good as this one for a quarter of the price. (333 characters)

Stiegl Goldbräu from Stieglbrauerei zu Salzburg GmbH