2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stiegl Goldbräu - Stieglbrauerei zu Salzburg GmbH

Stiegl GoldbräuStiegl Goldbräu

good

Stieglbrauerei zu Salzburg GmbH visit their website
Austria

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-08-2002)
View: Beers (21) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 258 | Reviews: 141 | Show All Ratings:
Premo88

3.89/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.75

16.9 oz. can poured into nonic

L: yellow gold, light gold, clear as water ... so clear it's freaky; lots of bubbles cascading up through the column; almost no head, but I gave it a super light pour; foam is white, and it keeps a nice collar

S: sweet bread malt; sweet biscuits ... really sweet and fruity at times, almost as fruity as an English pale ale

T: a ton of sweet bread malt taste with a surprising bit of grassy hop bite -- it's not at the pilsener level, but there's detectable hops here, both grassy and spicy. the sweet malt backbone is the top feature. it's almost like apricot at times.

F: fantastic ... light, effervescent but solid

O: by far my favorite Octoberfest/Marzen so far ... in fact, it gives me hope for the style, because my run through a few of them last fall was disappointing. this one is super sweet but with a pinch of grain and hops to offer some balance.

for the price (about $9/4-pack of 16.9 oz. cans), it's neither cheap nor expensive ... but cheap enough and good enough that I can see myself grabbing a 4-pack of this a couple times a year. a great break from the American hop scene.

04-12-2014 07:03:27 | More by Premo88
Murrhey

Montana

2.88/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured from a 1pt .9 fl oz can into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- One finger rather flimsy white head, low retention, nice carbonation. Very unimpressive watery look, crystal clarity, thin golden color.

S- Smell is a vast improvement over the appearance. Golden malts, marshmallows.

T- Warm Marzen flavor. Nice malts and some golden hops. Not packing a huge punch, but tasty.

M- Medium bodied and creamy sort of feel.

O- Despite the atrocious look, this is a passable brew.

10-31-2012 03:43:53 | More by Murrhey
steveh

4.08/5  rDev +15.6%

Being on a well-made light lager kick of recent weeks, and having a conversation about Stiegl in cans with another old-timer (like me), I thought I'd try it out again. Probably the first time since my last trip to Europe many moons ago.

I almost reviewed this as the Pils, but I see the fine print is calling this the Goldbräu Premium Lager (Märzen..?).

A -- Pours a slightly hazy, straw-gold color with a big, dense, long-lasting white head (rather Pils-like, actually).

S -- Big bready malts up front with mellow spicy - even slightly citrus - hops back and mild DMS.

T -- Same big, bready, mildly sweet malts up front that seem to linger then blend quickly into spicy hops -- then gone! The breadiness lingers in the aftertaste and the citrus character and some mild bitterness make themselves apparent in the finish, but that's it. It's really a rather smooth, easy drink with no bells or whistles.

M -- Mouthfeel is soft and smooth to lightly crisp with a dry finish and light body.

O -- Very easy to slug down, but hardly any form of Märzen. Sort of a cross between a German Pils and Bavarian Helles. The good breadiness is delicious up front with the mild hop bitterness in the finish that makes you think Pils, but either way -- this is a pretty satisfying beer for an after-worker.

04-30-2012 20:48:51 | More by steveh
flagmantho

Washington

4.03/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured from 500mL can into a pint glass.

Appearance: pale golden hue with just the tiniest touch of haze. There's a good effervescence and a finger of creamy white foam. Not too bad.

Smell: sweet malt with the tiniest hint of grain and a good dose of noble hops. This is exactly what I want out of this kind of beer.

Taste: much like the aroma, there's a lightly sweet malt with just a hint of grain which provides a nice, drying contrast to the sweetness. Hops are present but mild, as the style dictates. Quite good!

Mouthfeel: medium-light body but a big and well-integrated carbonation which is bodaciously creamy -- moreso than this style usually is. Perhaps not to-style, but I love the effect. Great!

Overall: a very good Munich Helles. I would definitely have this again and again.

03-24-2012 21:58:46 | More by flagmantho
iannutter

Chile

4.53/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is a sentimental one for me to write about, as it was my standby beer when I studied in the town that this is produced in last year.

I picked up a 4 can pack of half liters, which although are not as good as the bottles, are much cheaper and more available than the alternative.

Anyways, I cooled these down to about 43 degrees Fahrenheit, which was similar to the temp i drank these at when I left them in the snow on my balcony.

Always a great head retention, this is a great Austrian example of the Bavarian style. The smell is light hops and grass, the flavour reflecting this.

I would absolutely recommend this anyone happily.

Prost!

02-19-2012 21:27:18 | More by iannutter
Kinsman

3.9/5  rDev +10.5%

Enjoyed this one quite a bit while visiting friends in Austria; glad to have a back home as well. Pours with a crystal clear golden straw color. Light white head rises and lowers quickly.

Sweet biscuity/bread note and cereal grain on the nose. Nice noble hop presence that adds a bit of spice and floral character to the aroma.

Nice clean and crisp German lager flavor. Slightly sweet malt backbone paired up with a mild bouquet of hops. Just a touch of bitterness as well.

Mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing with a medium bodied feel. Overall, I enjoy my Helles Lagers more than most I'd say and Stiegl is another fine example from the Old World.

08-29-2011 00:31:53 | More by Kinsman
KingHeroical

2.3/5  rDev -34.8%

500ml can (groovy looking can)

Pours a clear bright yellow, with a couple of fingers of head that disappears quickly.

Smells sweet, metallic, and somehow... like something wet that shouldn't be.

Initial taste is metallic with a grainy undertone (the graininess is really the only redeemable thing about this beer worth mentioning). Subsequent tasting kept reminding me of something and it finally came to me - the smell of the interior of an old mid-80s car on a hot summer day. Sort of like warm plastic, old sweat, and dust.

I only finished this beer to keep it on my tongue while writing this review.

Maybe it was a bad can or something, but I was not pleased.

Aftertaste is like a mouthful of dimes.

07-14-2011 06:19:20 | More by KingHeroical
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

Curious looking red and white can caught me eye at Bert's today and made the trip home with me. Pours a crystal clear pale straw color with a smallish fluffy white head that dissipates slowly. Smells of grainy pilsner malt with hints of honey and a distant but present lightly toasted malt aroma. Floral hops are there but restrained. Simple clean aroma. Taste is bready grainy with hints of melanoid, could this brew be decocted? Sweet honey like grain with bits of green apple and a hint of astringency near the finish. Medium body, sweet bready mouthfeel, Medium to high level of carbonation. I hardly ever go for a lager, but today I'm kinda glad I did. This is a great flavorful easy drinking beer, I can see some of these in my future.

07-03-2011 01:02:11 | More by johnnnniee
Mandark

4.22/5  rDev +19.5%

This was the German lager that made me realize there was more to life than Becks! There's not a lot of complexity here, as one would expect, just a solid, great tasting and easy drinking beer. The sweetness of the malt dominates the smell and the taste, it sits in the glass a clear golden color, and it goes down easily. Very refreshing.

In the can I find metallic hints that may indicate this particular can is past its prime. However, if you can find this on tap you will be mighty pleased. Glad it's held up for me after several intervening years of more and varied styles.

05-13-2011 01:59:36 | More by Mandark
samie85

3.35/5  rDev -5.1%

A-Pours a golden color with two fingers of white head and fine, champagne-carbonation in a footed Stiegl Pils glass.

S-Light grainy malt with some grassy and herbal hop notes.

T-Light grainy malt upfront with some hop bitterness and an almost mineral-like note on the finish.

M-Light bodied and well carbonated with mildly oily feel.

D-The mineral note on the finish hurt the drinkability for me; it was pretty distracting.

02-22-2011 01:48:15 | More by samie85
MNJR

4.33/5  rDev +22.7%

This is listed as a Marzen/Octoberfest. I'm no expert, but I'm about 90% sure this is not the correct style designation for this beer. This is a golden lager? OK, whatever they say here, but I'm not going to review this as a fest beer, since it is clearly not. The color is spot on: golden. Thick head that dies quickly. Nice foamy lacing. Basic, good, clean beer smells: barley, grain, light hops, some sweetness and caramel. The flavor is bright, clean and rich. Mellow grass, rich grain, sweet mild hops with a slightly dry finish. Very sturdy, yet refreshing. This is a high quality beer.

01-14-2011 23:11:26 | More by MNJR
eat

Quebec (Canada)

3.53/5  rDev 0%

Hey, this beer actually poured with some head! I wasn't really expecting any. A finger of bright-white foamy head sticks around. The beer is totally transparent and golden, with lots of visible carbonation. Bits of lacing. Looks pretty nice.

Smells mostly of yeast. Some grain and bits of hops, sweet malt and lemon. Decent but too weak.

The taste is quite a bit different than I was anticipating. On the sweet side of being balanced, though not in an unpleasant way. It's not way out of balance, just a little sweet. The sweetness is similar to that of apple juice but somehow it kind of works. Some honey as well. Bit of grain. Light hops, mostly showing themselves on the finish (which is a little dry).

The feel is really not too bad. Light-medium body with less carbonation than I expected, given its appearance.

I didn't know anything about this beer when I picked it up. Not a bad drinker, though definitely nothing special. It's quite a bit lighter than any Oktoberfest I've tried, but I'm not familiar enough with the style to say if it's off-style or not. If someone offered me a Stiegl, I would happily accept but don't think I'll be picking it up again. Very sessionable if you're into it.

04-02-2010 02:20:24 | More by eat
EskimoDave

3.4/5  rDev -3.7%

It's incredibly clear and dull gold colour. An aggressive pour resulted a medium head that dissipated to a thin film of bubbles at a medium rate without any real lacing. When I smelled it I immediately thought of Molson, which I found weird because before I got in to beer I only drank Molson if it was offered to me. It was a sweet malt and very light hop smell. The first drink started off smooth but near the finish it had a very large, very weird, hop flavour to it. It was like nothing I've experienced before. Not to say it was unpleasant, but more surprising. After the second drink it mellowed out and went nicely with the beer. The body of the beer it much larger than it looks. It had a nice full-medium body to it.

I would drink this beer again, however, I would not buy it again. It's not really my thing. It is quite similar to the prevalent lowest common denominator beers here, especially in appearance and smell, but it's a much more enjoyable drinking experience.

12-17-2009 19:29:32 | More by EskimoDave
EsoxLucius

Saskatchewan (Canada)

3.58/5  rDev +1.4%

served from a 500ml can.

A: nice white head that vanishes quickly, decent lacing and it lasts for about 15 minutes. quite a bit of carbonation, but for this it's not a bad thing.

S: quite nice actually. earthly with some minor hop undertones, malt is present with a hint of spice.

T: pleasing to say the least, sweet citrus with malt being dominant. it's not bitter at all and tastes better than it smells.

M: decent body, about moderate. doesn't thin out as drank. not bad.

D: quite, it's not bitter and the taste and feel leaves me wanting another can in the future.

09-05-2009 06:02:21 | More by EsoxLucius
semihobo

3.83/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured a pint from a 5 liter megacan that a friend brought to my BBQ... clearly a good friend :)

Pours a clear, dull, dark gold, foam was out of control and took up a few glasses at first, now head is reasonably small and fades fast to a dainty little puddle centered on top. Very relaxed bubbling. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't get a kick out of the mini keg covered in German.

Smells of caramel, hay, honey, a bakery full of cookies. Strong and herbal.

Malty, rich caramel, moderate noble hops bittering balance, right on point for the style. Begins sweet before drying up on the finish, leaving you with a nice whole grain malt profile. No off-notes.

Light carbonation, all on the front, finish is dull. Could be due to the cups of foam that came out of the 5L can. Body is on the watery side.

A simple, lighter, and tasty Marzen, I guess it's year-round? Why not!

07-15-2009 05:07:11 | More by semihobo
biboergosum

3.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

500ml can, in a friend's fire-pit enabled back yard. Stark Cold War era East German stylings.

This beer pours a clear, bright medium golden yellow hue, with three fingers of puffy, thinly foamy bone-white head, which leaves some random swaths of seaspray lace around the glass as it quickly recedes.

It smells of grainy, bready cereal malt, some warmed and sugared lemon juice, and noble, slightly acrid grassy hops. The taste is more bready, cereal-heavy pale grainy malt, a more or less indistinct bland citrus essence, and slightly tangy, somewhat grassy, and faintly skunky hops.

The carbonation is moderate, and a tad frothy, the body a fairly solid medium weight for the style, with a soft glycerol slickness rendering it mildly cloying in its smoothness. It finishes just off-dry, a wee bit crisp, and sort of floral in its lingering hoppiness.

A decent enough warm-weather drinker, especially coming from a can, and a bit light for the 'winter is coming' style it's been assigned here, so I say, drink it now! And Prost! Now where did I put my second serving of spicy sausage...?

06-29-2009 00:21:10 | More by biboergosum
hegelec

Ontario (Canada)

3.85/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured from a 500 mL can into a pint glass.

Fairly generic-looking. Deep yellow colour, with a modest head. This beer leaves fairly good lacing.

Smell is unremarkable, though still pleasant. Grain, grain, grain.

This beer is tasty. Sweet up-front, with a classic biscuity flavour. Mmmmm ... honey. Mild noble hops firm up the finish for a decent balance (though it`s on the sweeter side).

Full and not too slick. Carbonation is not too aggressive. Very drinkable.

12-03-2008 03:04:27 | More by hegelec
beveritt

3.05/5  rDev -13.6%

Presentation: Poured from a 500 ml can into a pint glass. Thanks to my buddy NavyMSC for setting me up with this one, I am finally getting around to reviewing it. The can is very simple, red and white with Salzburger Stiegl Bier written in what I would describe as a Germanic script. There is a date of 28.02.09 printed on the bottom, maybe a best by date?

Appearance: Pours with a single finger of pure white head. This settles quickly to just a thin coating of foam, maintained by a nearly constant stream of bubbles form the bottom of the glass. The beer itself is a honey yellow and perfectly clear.

Smell: Bready aroma leads into a sweet candy-like malt smell. Slight notes of a vegetal bitterness.

Taste: Decent carbonation bite upfront leads into a mild malt backbone, finishing with the barest of hints of hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Higher than average carbonation, but appropriate for the style. Body is actually pretty good.

Drinkability: a refreshingly quaffable lager, but I would say definitely not a marzen. More like a pils.

11-24-2008 22:35:16 | More by beveritt
woodychandler

3.48/5  rDev -1.4%

CAN you believe that I got an Austrian beer in Edmonton? Cool!

My pour resulted in a nice, thick, two fingers' worth of bone-white head with excellent retention. The nose had a classic lager sweetness, kind of grainy, but definitely a lager. The color was a golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was medium with a mild lager sweetness on the tongue. Finish had a somewhat bitter sharpness. .5 Liters was plenty.

08-04-2008 18:43:43 | More by woodychandler
Hornet2003

3.9/5  rDev +10.5%

Appearance: Golden pale yellow. Fizzy white head. Very slight head after the pour.

Smell: A little smoky malt but a tonne of great noble hop aromas.

Taste: Very generic Euro lager flavour with a little bit of the smokiness thrown in.

Mouthfeel: Soft and pleasant on the tongue. Perfect carbonation makes this an easy drinker.

Drinkability: Quite high. Warm days in the sun, or at a German beer garden I'm sure these could be downed in quantity.

Overall: I enjoyed this beer, but it isn't really as Oktoberfest-y as I've had, even though its classified as a Marzen/Oktoberfest.

07-12-2008 19:40:14 | More by Hornet2003
JustinBathurst

Ontario (Canada)

2.88/5  rDev -18.4%

Pours clear straw gold, topped with a sudsy head that doesn't last.

The aroma is rather grainy and a touch floral.

Mouthfeel is crisp, and is nicely carbonated.

Taste is malty, dark honey, raisins, and a little hoppy, but not so bitter.

All in all, this just passes. Not going to go out of my way to drink it again, but I wouldn't refuse.

09-05-2007 04:03:03 | More by JustinBathurst
MTNboy

Germany

2.48/5  rDev -29.7%

Appearance- Golden and very light bubbly. Barely any head but decent lace.

Smell- Very mild almost non existent.

Taste- I was very disappointed it tasted like cheap mass produced American beer not like some of the better beers you get in that region. SOUR! Grassy with a lot of bitterness but very weird sweetness but is not balanced because the flavors are not at the same time.

Mouthfeel- The best part of this beer is it is not harsh.

Drinkability- It has a pucker factor that I do not like but as it sit and gets flat oddly it gets better. ( I hate admitting that.)

08-21-2007 02:11:30 | More by MTNboy
Shadman

3.7/5  rDev +4.8%

Purchased as a trbute to my Austrian roots…

Good looking beer..pale urine yellow..nice fluffy white head that lingered a while and then receded to a thiin white cap that refused to go away. Some of the best lacing I’ve seen in a lager-type beer yet.

Nose is faint, but some sweet bready malt and floral hop spice noted.

Same bready malt and some mild spicey hop. Quite similar to HP's edelhell. slight adjunct taste that may be attributed to the can.

Moderate carbonation, smooth almost slick feel to it.

Would love to try this on tap in Austria as I could see myself drinking more than a few.

05-20-2007 13:10:37 | More by Shadman
elricorico

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured relatively aggressively into a glass that had lots of room for the three fingers of head that formed. The beer itself is a pale gold and very clear. The head is off white, and fades to a thin cap within a minute.

Grass and hay jump out in the aroma, fairly straightforward smell. Fresh lager impression.

Lightly malty up front, faint honey impression. As crisp as a lager comes, hops don't bite so much as nibble, but there is a bit of a floral/herbal flavour to the finish. As the beer warms, I start to note a bit of spiciness to the hops.

Light and effervescent without being watery or fizzy. This is a warm weather quaffer, not complicated but subtle. I rated this as a Helles Lager, because I'm sure it is not a Marzen.

03-15-2007 01:10:44 | More by elricorico
ByTor2112

3.15/5  rDev -10.8%

Got this one straight from Austria via overseas container shipment!
Pours a nice straw gold color. Nice fluffy two-finger head.
Aroma is crisp, smells like a Lager or Pilsner, hops are present.
Tastes good, like some european macro, but not in a bad way. A nice froth on the palate sweetens up the brew nicely. Sessionable and would be very refreshing on a hot day. I have been fortunate to get many Austrian beers over the years and this one is middle of the road decent.

01-23-2007 16:23:39 | More by ByTor2112