Stiegl Radler (Grapefruit) - Stieglbrauerei zu Salzburg GmbH

Stiegl Radler (Grapefruit)Stiegl Radler (Grapefruit)

good

Stieglbrauerei zu Salzburg GmbH visit their website
Austria

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  2.50% ABV

Beer added by: biboergosum on 04-12-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stiegl Radler (Grapefruit) Alström Bros
3.1/5  rDev -17.6%

I was surprised to see this and snagged a single yesterday afternoon. I had the lemon shandy some time ago and was pleased with it. Not blown away but remembered it to be interesting enough. Also, this is the second grapefruit radler I have seen in person.

Appearance is okay, fizzes up and blows off fast leaving no trace of head. Has a light dusty straw appearance.

Smells pretty sweet and pretty lemonadey. Hints of grapefruit rind and a slight lager beer like smell... but the beer smell is pretty overwhelmed by the sweetness which has a soda like quality to it.

Hits pretty hard with the sweetness. Pretty soda-pop like and not very well balanced with the beer. The sweetness flows through a balanced lemonade into a soda pop candy sweetness and then drops into a sweet white wine sort of sweetness. There is a lot of lemonade to me for this. The grapefruit is there, it comes in closer to the end but if someone hadn't told me it may have taken me a little bit to pick up on the grapefruit. I wish there would have been a bit more beer to this as well. The beer is pretty well muted and covered over. You can find it. But it all is pretty unbalanced. Not like I remember the lemon radler being.

Mouthfeel is okay, A bit on the sticky side with the sweetness but goes through a bit of a tartness and a dryness with the citrus. A bit grainy with the carbonation... and again... yes, soda-pop like.

In the end, I had hoped for a bit more of a potent grapefruit and not this sort of lemonade sort of thing. The sweetness was a bit too punchy as well. The balance between beer and fruit juice is pretty heavily on one side. But it is pretty clean and drinkable. I could imagine on a hot day next to a lake this may be a pretty favorable choice and a good crowd pleaser especially when there are people who may not drink a lot of beer around. Also the low ABV is nice, you can have one or two and feel good. Continue about your day without feeling sluggish. I won't go to grab more, I was satisfied enough to try it though. Not bad, but nothing crazy. (2,057 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Most shandies suck. I'll just come right out and say it. Saccharine sweet, candy tasting junk.
Not this one though, it's tart and refreshing, definitely not as sweet as most.

Cloudy golden yellow, thin fizzy head that audibly fizzles and fades out. Looks like lemonade, sans pulp. In the light there are stray bubbles here and there.

Moderately tart verging on sour grapefruit, similar to an Aranciata or Orangina. Unsweetened fruity citrus at first, though a hint of sweetness is there towards the middle. As it warms there's a hint of graininess from the 40% lager. Ample carbonation, dry through the teeth and gums. Drank one and wanted another, it's extremely quenching. A good low-alcohol alternative, especially if you like sour beers.

After a strenuous bike ride with 20 lbs. on my back, this was the perfect thing to cool down with... which is it's precise intended purpose. It's not an IPA, "not beer", whatever. More for me, because it's a fucking delicious beverage. (982 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

500ml can from LCBO for $2.60 CDN into a pint glass

Appearance - weak yellowy color, medium pour yields minimal head and no retention time. Drink is hazy.

Smell - Strong Grapefruit (duh), maybe some soda smell in there for good measure. Faint traces of beer smell once most of it is consumed.

Taste - Grapefruit flavored beer. Beer is barely perceptible here tastes more like a soft drink than anything. Not unpleasant and surely refreshing on a hot summer day, but I can't imagine I will want more than one.

Mouthfeel - Very highly carbonated, nice fizzy feel to it. Nice at first, but after a few sips the carbonation is too much and its too much of one thing. The high carbonation and fizziness remind me of European Fanta only available at Polish delis. That is a good thing.

Overall - No perceptible alcohol but didn't realize until i came here that it was 2.5%. Suddenly everything makes a lot more sense now.A better offering in terms than many of the other flavored beers / shandies of the world, but unless it’s a hot summer day this is not a repeat purchase. (1,076 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

After trying Whistler's Grapefruit Ale earlier this year, I was ready to write off all grapefruit beers forever. Someone pointed out this one to me in a top five summer beers list, and then when I saw cans at the BCLS for 2.99, I figured, why not give it a try?

A: Yellow and hazy. Minimal head, very little retention. Kind of looks like pop, but hazy.
S: It actually smells like grapefruit! I'm picking up nothing beer-related at all, though.
T: Initial taste is pretty similar to grapefruit San Pellegrino. It's only in the after taste that I notice it's beer.
F: Like pop, but flatter.

Would I buy it again? Probably not. It's enjoyable, but it's closer to grapefruit San Pellegrino than it is to beer. Why drink beer that lacks the characteristics of beer? (762 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

500 mL can from the LCBO; best before 1/5/2014. Listed at 2%, this is probably the closest thing to 'near beer' I've ever bothered reviewing - but even still, I've heard mostly good things about this radler, so I figured I'd give it a shot while the last of this year's hot weather is in the process of winding down. Served well-chilled.

Pours a sunny lemonade-yellow colour, opaque with haze and topped with over two fingers of fizzy, white head. It wilts quickly over the next minute, with a thin, soapy film at the surface being its only remnant. I love the aroma on this one - juicy pink grapefruit is the most dominant contributor by far, with hints of lime soda and sugar. Not very beer-like, and pretty one-dimensional, but as a grapefruit fan it's definitely got my mouth watering - what more do you want from a light fruit beer?

Pretty damn tasty, although the caveat of 'not being very beer-like' still applies. Some light lemon-lime notes come through upon the initial sip, followed soon after by a fruity sweetness that is quickly overwhelmed by grapefruit citrus, which stays strong into the finish. Some mild pale malts show up briefly toward the tail end, but citrus is obviously the focus here. The aftertaste is fairly acidic, with a mild grapefruit rind bitterness that lingers briefly. The body is light (as one should probably expect from a 2% fruit beer), with soda pop carbonation that provides the palate with a modest bite. Easily one of the most drinkable fruit beers I've ever had - very crisp and refreshing; the perfect pairing for a hot summer's day (or even a warm summer evening).

Final Grade: 4.00, just barely eking out an A-. Stiegl Grapefruit Radler isn't the sort of beer that is going to be knocking many BA's socks off, but it's still a fine radler that stands strong when compared to most other light, sessionable fruit beers. With its aerated, spritzy mouthfeel, miniscule alcohol content and a flavour that reminds me of a good (non-aspartame-sweetened) version of Fresca, this stuff barely even qualifies as beer - but it's still delicious, and I must therefore give it some well-deserved props. People buy light fruit beers because it's hot as hell out and they want something tasty to quench their thirst - not to experience the complex range of malt or hop flavours/aromas typically found in beer. This particular brew is a very solid choice for anyone in the aforementioned situation, and if you handed me one after a day of sweaty, exhausting work, I'd be one happy panda, that's for sure. (2,541 characters)

I usually really hate fruit infused beers, they always miss the mark, that is until I had this Radler. Its fantastic. I would not rush out to buy a six pack for a single sitting, but its a great palet cleanser for a night of beer tastings. Its also extremely refreshing for hot summer nights. One can, or pint will usually do you good for 3-4 other brews. My wife likes beer, and loves this beer, so it is a little girly if you ask me. However I keep grabbing a few cans, when in stock. (486 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Initially it's not bad looking as it resembles a regular hefe. Very cloudy, milky golden yellow with a thick haze. The head is thick and white. However, there's no retention, despite a couple fingers of head and once the bubbles are gone, it just looks like grapefruit juice.

Spicy, citrusy smell. Strong grapefruit scent as you might imagine. There is a wheaty smell to it.

The taste isn't bad at all. It's a bit strong in the grapefruit department, but I guess that's the point. Kind of hard for me to call it a beer.

I like the feel. It's sweet and tart at the same time before a carbonated, spicy, crisp bite develops. Lots of citrus and acid, with a tangy sweetness that never leaves. Light bodied. No hop or alcohol presence...again, sort of hard to call it a beer.

It is what it is, a hybrid more than anything. Great for a warm day. Pleasant taste, maybe a bit sweet. Is it a beer? (893 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -3.5%

Thanks to the legendary woodychandler for this beer. Poured from a 16.9 oz. can. Has a whiteish color with a 1 inch head. Smell is very strong of grapefruit, some sweetness. Taste is soda like, grapefruit, sweet, some sour notes, tasty but not very beer like. Feels light and highly carbonated in the mouth and overall was pretty good, but I wouldn't want a steady diet of it. (376 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +4%

A: Pours a lemony hue with a pinkish tinge to it. Slightly hazy. A very short lived fizzy off white head briefly surfaced before fizzing away into nothing. Looks like soda.
S: Grapefruit dominates the nose as expected, with soda-like notes of sweet citrus coming through as well.
T: Refreshing grapefruit soda taste with a slight light-beer finish. Clean bready lager finish, sweet and lightly citrus pith bitter aftertaste. More bready beer flavors comes out as it warms.
M: Light body, tingly soda carbonation. Clean and refreshing mouthfeel. Scrubbing and crisp.
O: A refreshing combination that would especially be great on a hot day. Reminded me a bit too much of soda for me to get too excited about it though. (717 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This was another big score recently at Binney's (South Loop) in Chicago on my way to the Great Taste of the Midwest (GTMW) as The CANQUEST (TM) CANtinues on its merry way!

From the CAN: "Beer With Fruit Soda Malt Beverage Specialty"; "40% Steigl-Goldbrau and 60% fruit soda from purely natural ingredients for an outstanding malt beverage specialty. Cloudy appearance."

A nice Crack followed by a decent Glug and I had a finger of fizzy, bone-white head that was really closer to soda pop than to a beer's head. Nose was fully grapefruit and my mouth was watering. I am more partial to pink grapefruit where this was a cloudy grapefruit-yellow color. Mouthfeel was thin, not watery, but very effervescent on the tongue. The taste was more sweet than tart, which was a negative for me because I like tart and not sweet. Finish was closer to tart, but I was still left with a sugary sweetness. I would CANsider this more of a novelty than a beer, but on a hot summer's day, it could be quite refreshing. I feel like now, I am ready for a beer. (1,043 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Orange/grapefruit/lime smell. Very strong, almost overpowering aroma. Cloudy yellow color. Little to no head that fades quickly. Tastes like Orange Gatorade. That's the best comparison I can give. It doesn't blow me away. It's very sweet and easy to drink. Would be a good beer for people who don't like the taste of beer. With that said, it's not bad. (352 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Tasted 21 July 2013, reviewed from notes.

Pours a very pale straw yellow. Clear, with one fizzy finger of head. Loads of visible carbonation, looking like a soda, no surprise.

Smells like grapefruit soda. Tart, with only a little of that nasty bitterness that some grapefruits (and grapefruit beverages) have.

This tastes like amazing grapefruit soda, with a faint hint of beer. I really like this, but is it reasonable to call it beer? The only beer flavor I get is a mild malty sweet bend in the back.

Feel is nice, but again it's more soda than beer. Thin, fizzy prickly carbonation. Pleasant, even if it's heavily soda-like.

I don't know what to do with this stuff. Other than drink it. As for reviewing it, it's delicious, but it feels like a stretch to call it beer. But I will definitely call it yummy. (814 characters)

4.98/5  rDev +32.4%

Unusually strong fresh, light taste of grapefruit with a sweet, non-bitter finish. Very refreshing on a summer day. Beer is light and presents in a slightly frosted clarity--reminds me a little of Fresca when it wasn't a diet drink. Golden Amber color with a citrus smell. Served ice cold. (289 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +2.9%

A: Poued light in color, like a pink lemondae would, with a nice white head which dissipates quickly.

S: Loads of grapefruit juice with a note of Sprite like soda citrus.

T: Initial taste was grapefruit, but not overpowering grapefruit that would make you ppucker. Instead, this tasted like a blend of Sprite and grapefruit juice. A little sweet and somewhat dry on the finish

M: Light body, crisp, dry, high on the carbonation. All citrus here.

O: Not bad. I could see this being a good lawnmower or picnic beer for sure. (526 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a can of this because it is on sale at my store currently. All the ladies love this one, and understandably so because this does not really resemble beer at all. Not to sound sexist or anything. It's true though.

Anyway, I poured it from the can into a hefeweizen glass. In hindsight I should have just drunk it out of the can, but I kind of wanted to see what it looks like. It looks exactly like pineapple, but obviously not pulpy.

The smell is sweet and rich with grapefruit. Grapefruit is one of my favourite fruits to pair with beer, and there are so many great ones in my region (Alley Kat Grapefruit, Whistler Grapefruit ale for example) that settling for this seems a little odd. Regardless, it smells nice.

The taste is okay and certainly palatable, although it is really sweet, something I am not fond of with fruit beers. The grapefruit flavour is decent though, and the base beer they use is pretty good, which makes a huuuge difference.

Feel is good, mild carbonation makes this a real patio beer. There's nothing bad about this beer when you really look at it (except that it is a stretch to call it beer), but it's overrated. Still, if you can't stomach beer, this is something to try. (1,217 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A- Pours out super cloudy like a lemonade, which I guess makes plenty of sense. Head is super fizzy, between beer and soda (again) and bubbles away pretty quickly after forming to about a finger high. It all falls down to just a tiny ring that leaves almost no lace, not surprising in the least.

S- Smells just like you are cutting open a grapefruit, not quite that strong but still like a pretty fresh fruit. Some lemon and general citrus feel in there too. Some light beer maltiness in the background.

T- Strong grapefruit citrus up front but it doesn't dominate quite like it does in the nose. The fruit still feels nice and fresh and reminds me of a really good soda, I would like to try the base soda too. A general light malty and yeasty beer feel is diluted by the soda and shows up in the background.

MF- Highly carbonated and fizzy but impressively not as watery as I expected, still some silky feel to it. Fairly tart throughout in a super light end body.

Someone recommended this to me and I was somewhat skeptical but this is pretty good for what it is. Super refreshing and drinks like water, it goes down that easily. Good fresh grapefruit feel. (1,163 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +4.5%

Stiegl Grapefruit

Enjoyed on tap at the Von Rothenburg Bier Stube. Served chilled in a Spaten 1.0 liter stein.

A) Super cloudy yellow brew. Came out with a finger of head,which quickly dissipated to nothing.

S) The aroma is big time sugared grapefruit. Like dried out candied grapefruit. Quite sweet, but very enjoyable.

T) Follows the nose... Although the finish brings out the citric bitterness and a bit of acidity. Wow... Grapefruit and beer is a good combo.

M) Solid medium bodied brew. I expected it to be lighter. Moderately carbonated. Good amount of citrus zest on the palate. Quite refreshing...

O) Shit.... If you love grapefruit, order this and enjoy. It's quite a tasty treat, and at 2.50 ABV, you can drink a boatload. (738 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I love the color as its rather unorthodox; cloudy, grapefruit yellow with a bright lemons shade. The head was simply fizz that bubbled and popped as it poured.

The scent is grapefruit...as would be guessed, but it's like BAM, grapefruit. Strong citrus grapefruit nose hits quickly.

The taste is grapefruit...as would be guessed, but it's likE BAM, grapefruit. The grapefruit is sour and tangy with a pulpy authentic taste.

Here's the issue; is this a beer or a soda. The label reads 60pct soda 40pct beer and the feel is all soda. Brash harsh carbonation hits the throat and makes it seem less a beer-like experience.

I don't feel like rating this on BA is all that appropriate as it is more soda but it's pretty darn good. (727 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I struggle with calling this a "beer", but it's a delightful low ABV option that's absolutely perfect for a summer afternoon.

Can pours a hazy whitish yellow, definitely not an attractive beer. Aroma is pure "grapefruit soda". The taste is a nice mix of grapefruit with a pale malt backbone. Flavour is much more "pop" than beer, but has a nice tartness to the finish that makes it far more refreshing than any cooler on the market. And the 2.5% ABV is absolutely perfect for any occasion involving driving... (511 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured into a pint glass. A cloudy dirty lemon yellow. Very efervescent. Minimal head which soon disappears.

Smells like grapefruit. Taste is of grapefruit up front but without the tartness. Some malts flavours come through. The malts seem to moderate the grapefruit edge quite a bit.

Very nice really. Not very beer like but eminently drinkable. Will no doubt become a summer favorite due to the refreshing nature and the low ABV (432 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -17.8%

$8 for 12oz? Ouch! Served in tulip. Poured a cloudy and opaque yellow with about 1/4 inch of white head that had no retention and very light lacing.

The aroma was dominated by the grapefruit pop, without any real beer aspects showing through. On the tongue, a slight bit of grain was apparent, but still, this mostly pop flavored. The body was nice, light and crisp, with a finish that was drier than I expected. Drinkability was very good, you could easily drink several of these. Overall, a very pleasant brew, one that's worth trying if you see it. I just hope you get a better price.

Side note: I often make these using Squirt and the Pilsener from one of my local breweries, Chuckanut. They kick ass, and I suggest you try it with one of your local brews. (762 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A fine, refreshing beer with lots of fruity taste and crispness. This is excellent for the summer, for cookouts, or for just relaxing in the lounge room. Fun and tasty, easy going down. If you want something light and refreshing, give this a try. Or two. (254 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A- Cloudy, hazy golden with just a light wisp of a white head that fizzes out into nothing. Minimal lacing. Lots of carbonation bubbles.

S- Smells like grapefruit as expected. Not as dank as you would smell in a potent citra IPA, but a delightful nose for the style. Sweet citrus.

T- Lost of sweet grapefruit with some lemon mixed in as well. Touch of bready character. Sweet, not bitter. Maybe a tad artificial tasting, but nothing I would throw a fit about.

M- Light body, no alcohol noticeable (obviously), drinkable as can be with the good deal of carbonation. Perfect for a hot day (which it is) and a light meal.

O- I like it. It's simple, refreshing, and tasty. I had it with some mussels for dinner and it complemented the seafood quite nicely. I would certainly drink again. (787 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

500ml Can from the Ottawa LCBO for $2.80

Appearance - Hazy gold colour with an average size fizzy white coloured head. It's too hazy to see the amount of carbonation showing and there isn't much lacing. The head lasted for around 3 minutes.

Smell - Grapefruit, bread/grains

Taste & Mouth - There is an above average amount of carbonation and I can taste breads/grains and grapefruit. It has a nice flavour that doesn't taste too artificial as most fruit beers do.

Overall – I'd buy this stuff again. A few people who are around me right now tried some from my glass and they are raving about it. A great summer drink for sure.. but it doesn't taste like a beer. (667 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I love grapefruit more than most things in this world. So keep that in mind.

Dirty, cloudy pear colored body with a head that pours like a grapefruit soda - quick, fizzy, minimal lacing. There is a bit of juicy sweetness though that clings to the sides of the glass, almost looks like alcohol legging. What do you expect though from a beer that is actually mostly comprised of grapefruit soda?

Huge grapefruit aromas run the show. A bit of lemonade type citrus as well. Some faint but distinct bready malt qualities.

Again, it's all about the fruit soda. But those delicate pils type flavors still manage to maintain a presence. Tart, sweet, mildly bitter... I could literally drink this all day. (700 characters)

Stiegl Radler (Grapefruit) from Stieglbrauerei zu Salzburg GmbH