Terrapin Ale - McKenzie Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

McKenzie Brewing Company
Oregon, United States

English Bitter |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-2003)
Reviews by kdoc8:
3.33/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this on tap at Steelhead Brew Co, Eugene, OR. This is one of their winter seasonal ales. Also, they list it as a red ale, not an english bitter. It serves up a dark brown-red color, no head, thick and cloudy. It doesn't have much of a smell at all - maybe a faint smell of hops. No lacing on the glass. The taste is very strongly of hops, which is surprising given it's lack of smell. Nice complex hops flavor, much like an IPA - the hops overshadows whatever caramel malts it's brewed with.

kdoc8, Mar 29, 2007
3.35/5  rDev -4.3%

This was sampled at the Rose and Raindrop pub in Portland, OR from a fresh cask. A little too fresh, I suspect, as the beer was remarkably yeasty. I think the cask had just been set into place and the yeast was still agitated in suspension, and it hadn't been given enough time to rest and settle to the bottom. Undeterred, I plowed on through my pint and drank the lot. Such are the hardships of the dedicated beer drinker.

The pint was a murky, muddy brown, one of the haziest beers I have ever seen. It looked fascinating but not proper as the brewer intended, I am guessing. Aroma of toffee and yeast, with some slight caramel. The beer tasted heavily of yeast, almost to the point of tasting dirty. The malts evident in the nose were obscured on the tongue. A bright hop spike peeked through with a twinge of grapefruit, but again, the yeast dominated and contributed a perhaps uninvited Belgian sourness. There were definitely some things to enjoy here, but the reddish caramel flavor can barely keep its head above water to survive. Once my tongue was accustomed to the yeast, the beer was relatively satisfying and contributed some nice smoky flavors and caramel sweetness. Towards the end of the pint, a small cloud of yeast had sunk to the bottom of the glass. Maybe I should have sent the beer back, or decided not to review it -- but I didn't; I drank the full pint and recorded my thoughts, and here they are, for what they're worth.

Thrasher, Oct 10, 2004
3.83/5  rDev +9.4%

This spring seasonal emphasizes brisk English bittering amid the tangy esters of Steelhead’s house yeast strain. It is rust-crimson colored, gently carbonated, and has a slight metallic taste that is not out of place. I’m convinced the sample poured for me at the bar was drawn from a different tap than the pint I enjoyed a few minutes later, as the sample was much foamier and radiated a bright hoppy nose. The pint gave greater emphasis to fruited aromas.

The staff at Steelhead describe Terrapin as a red ale. It is easy drinking and comparable to an English bitter though not as chewy in the mouth and with a flourish of juicyfruit flavor.

RedDiamond, Jun 01, 2006
Terrapin Ale from McKenzie Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.