Augustiner Bräu Lagerbier Hell - Augustiner-Bräu Wagner KG

Augustiner Bräu Lagerbier HellAugustiner Bräu Lagerbier Hell

Augustiner-Bräu Wagner KG visit their website

Munich Helles Lager |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-15-2002)
View: Beers (11) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Augustiner Bräu Lagerbier Hell Alström Bros
apasternak

District of Columbia

From Munich, a very very great beer. My favorite German beer. I drank a ton of these in Munich and brought some back with me. I would love to be able to find this in America. The taste, like many of the other Munich beers, is very smooth, not heavy, but with a rich, consistent flavor. This is not a beer with a very unique flavor. It doesn't have fruit or random stuff in it. It is simply a great beer, a beer I could drink every single day.

04-04-2013 17:43:21 | More by apasternak
thommo_nk

10-23-2012 07:21:13 | More by thommo_nk
jneiswender

Had this beer on tap at the Brewhouse right across from the Hofbrau in Munich. Served in a mug cool.

A-fluffy white head, light and bright gold body

S-floral hop aroma, earth, some metals

T-perfectly balanced malt and hop flavor, bready almost light pastry like.

M-light almost airy

D-maybe one of my favorites of all time. Just superb. I wish I could get this on tap at my local bar. I hope to drink this beer again.

08-11-2010 00:22:07 | More by jneiswender
Moose_Knuckle_Sandwich

Absolutely one of the best beers I've evr had! In fact, probably the best beer ever! I enjoyed a slew of them in Munich and wish I could enjoy them on tap here in the US. It is crisp, clean, refreshing and everything else you'd want in a beer. So freakin' good!

04-26-2012 02:01:57 | More by Moose_Knuckle_Sandwich
BoilerMo

Indiana

The on tap version of Augustiner Hell is about as close to perfection as you find in a classic Munich larger. The medium carbonation and smoothness of the malt make it very drinkable. The lack of bitterness or sweetness makes it perfect by what it lacks. Serving was in an Augustiner specfic stange. I have tried the bottle and growler forms and the carbonation level changes slightly(transport, age) but the taste and mouthfeel are not really altered.

02-04-2014 14:43:34 | More by BoilerMo

Louisiana

08-02-2013 01:57:01 | More by Butchnasty
GaetanoBresci

Switzerland

I have to give this beer full points because it´s simply my favorite one. This beer is a flawless example of Helles, and is the most impressive Helles I have ever tasted. A true bench mark example of the style, and a true master piece. Smell is an intense flora hop aroma, and taste is a perfect balance between malt and hop.

02-15-2013 10:10:33 | More by GaetanoBresci
herrburgess

South Carolina

05-28-2013 14:03:12 | More by herrburgess
Augustiner719

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a .5 liter stein.

Big thanks to Digita7693 for sending me this beer. I have been looking for it since October 2008 after my first Oktoberfest in Germany.

Appearance: pours a beautiful, filtered and perfectly clear golden yellow. Lots of bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass shows me it's superior carbonation. Nice frothy head recedes to leave spider we like lacing down the stein. Really fresh looking.

Smell: has a bright fresh light bitter aroma to it. Really fresh like sea water. Also has a nice humidity to it, like being in a brewery. Really great toasted white bread aroma as well.

Taste: fresh as can bee flavors. Really eye opening how pure this beer is. Has that great European lager flavor of toasted bread and lemon zest. This is my favorite beer and it's great to see that my palate has evolved in the two years since I have had this, but the flavors still jump out that make me love this beer.

Mouthfeel: has perfect carbonation, effortless transitions between the palates. Really smooth, with some nice bitter hops and a sweet bready malt feel to it.

Drinkability: I could drink 10 of these bottles in a sitting. Really the best beer for every season to me. Not super light and not super heavy. I would love this with some roasted chicken or fish dishes. If you have a chance to try this version it's going to be a revelation. The American import version is good, but this is a whole new level. A must try if you are in Germany.

08-13-2010 01:53:21 | More by Augustiner719
Feurhund

4.97/5  rDev +19.8%

Crisp, malty, big mouthfeel for a helles. On tap in the BierKeller in Munchen. Have had this on every visit and just love the way it gets better and better as you drink it. Great for a long session.

I have requested this beer in heaven and for a desert Island situation.

01-18-2010 00:39:37 | More by Feurhund
DeutscheJeff

Colorado

4.95/5  rDev +19.3%

Nothing quite like drinking this out of a cask in Munich! Unfortunately all of the bottled versions of this are lacking, however it is still one of most amazing beers I have ever had. If you like German beer, and you don't like the "cheap" ones, give this one a try, and try some more. This beer is downright amazing, I would never pass up this beer if given the chance.

Serving type: cask

12-18-2011 07:07:56 | More by DeutscheJeff
goindownsouth

4.93/5  rDev +18.8%

Consumed vom Fass at Augustiner Braustuberl in Munich - several times - during my 09 March through 19 March visit.

Amazingly bright and golden in colour with a thick, pillowy head sitting firmly atop this Bier. Great lacing. Fantastic hay-like grainy aroma with hints of hops. just for balance. Unsurpassingly smooth with a moderate carbonation. Grassy flavours with lots of character from the malt. Hands down, the best Helles lager I had while in Bavaria. Balanced, worked and played well with everything. Fantastic in its sturdiness and underrated, simplistic beauty.

03-23-2009 00:40:36 | More by goindownsouth
megu

4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

Most people living in and around Munich agree that this is the best local beer to be had. No need to add to descriptions of the taste with all the other reviews around.

It gets even better in view of the company background.
They do their own malting and are the only brewery to tap from wooden kegs at their beergardens and at oktoberfest.

04-29-2012 13:32:33 | More by megu
Billy2222

Nebraska

4.89/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I enjoyed a Litre of this lager beer in Munich during Oktoberfest. This beer was was the most memorable for my visit. This larger smelled of good quality hops but not to strong of a hop smell. The color and head were perfect. The body was medium to light with a good lager flavor. There is also a very slight floral / sweet aspect to this lager that makes it unique and superb.

06-11-2013 20:42:17 | More by Billy2222
Thunder64

4.89/5  rDev +17.8%

After spending 4 months in Germany and 3 weekends at Octoberfest I will say this is my most favorite beer! Augustiner has a great drink-ability with exceptional quality. Very smooth taste and crisp feel. a great "everyday beer".

When I arrived back in the states I found Augustiner in bottles and was hoping that my appreciation for the beer would be the same. I was not disappointed!

02-21-2013 00:57:25 | More by Thunder64
appenzeller

Washington

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

One of my all time favorites. I'm so excited, I finally found this Stateside for the first time.

Pours a straw yellow with good depth of color. Short head with good retention.

Smell is of grain and fruit, subtle and very pleasing aroma. Taste is smooth yet rich, crisp yet substantial. Both smooth grain, apple taste in the malts and a sweet hoppy finish like a Czech pilsner. While the bottled version isn't quite what I've had fresh on tap, as I recall, this is still a superb lager. A benchmark for the style, having all the smoothness and subtleness it should, but with more depth and complexity of flavor than its European peers.

12-20-2010 03:33:23 | More by appenzeller
sweetschalls

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

"Ein maß bitte"
This beer was incredible. This beer was exactly what I dreamed it would be. I had it in the liter form at the Augustiner biergarten in Munich. Nothing can quite compare.
Smell: Smells slightly of bread, hop aroma to balance, but nothing too strong.
Appearance: Pale and golden colored, it was very clear
Taste: Incredibly clean malt flavor, again balanced with hop bitterness.
Mouthfeel: lightly carbonated, which makes it refreshing. Goes down easy.
Drinkability: It is clear why they serve it in liters: because you can drink liters of it!

Order one of the gigantic pretzels with it and you will not be disappointed, although all their food is excellent.

Serving type: cask

07-03-2009 20:20:27 | More by sweetschalls
SERENGETI

Tanzania

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

This is how a MUNICH HELLES LAGER beer should be! Smooth, always urging you to take one more and, very important, no bad feelings on "the day after", even if you drowned yourself in up to 10 litres!
This is heaven, this is Manna! The real Munich beer!

03-13-2006 13:03:20 | More by SERENGETI