Augustiner Bräu Lagerbier Hell - Augustiner-Bräu Wagner KG

Augustiner Bräu Lagerbier HellAugustiner Bräu Lagerbier Hell

Augustiner-Bräu Wagner KG visit their website
Germany

Munich Helles Lager |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-15-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Augustiner Bräu Lagerbier Hell Alström Bros

From Munich, a very very great beer. My favorite German beer. I drank a ton of these in Munich and brought some back with me. I would love to be able to find this in America. The taste, like many of the other Munich beers, is very smooth, not heavy, but with a rich, consistent flavor. This is not a beer with a very unique flavor. It doesn't have fruit or random stuff in it. It is simply a great beer, a beer I could drink every single day.

This is THE benchmark for lagers, hands down. Having used to think Weihenstephaner original was the prototype, a visit to München and a few dozen of these over my visit thoroughly changed my mind. The absolute definition of balance and drinkability without tasting simply watered down. Not overly sweet nor overly hopped like many Helles, particularly American clones. All hail the standard bearer for the type. The greatest shame is that this brew is not exported whatsoever; the Augustiner Edelstoff is not up to par.

Had this beer on tap at the Brewhouse right across from the Hofbrau in Munich. Served in a mug cool.

A-fluffy white head, light and bright gold body

S-floral hop aroma, earth, some metals

T-perfectly balanced malt and hop flavor, bready almost light pastry like.

M-light almost airy

D-maybe one of my favorites of all time. Just superb. I wish I could get this on tap at my local bar. I hope to drink this beer again.

Absolutely one of the best beers I've evr had! In fact, probably the best beer ever! I enjoyed a slew of them in Munich and wish I could enjoy them on tap here in the US. It is crisp, clean, refreshing and everything else you'd want in a beer. So freakin' good!

The on tap version of Augustiner Hell is about as close to perfection as you find in a classic Munich larger. The medium carbonation and smoothness of the malt make it very drinkable. The lack of bitterness or sweetness makes it perfect by what it lacks. Serving was in an Augustiner specfic stange. I have tried the bottle and growler forms and the carbonation level changes slightly(transport, age) but the taste and mouthfeel are not really altered.

This is the best beer I've ever had. If you are lucky enough to come across this beer (especially outside Germany), buy all that you can.

I have to give this beer full points because it´s simply my favorite one. This beer is a flawless example of Helles, and is the most impressive Helles I have ever tasted. A true bench mark example of the style, and a true master piece. Smell is an intense flora hop aroma, and taste is a perfect balance between malt and hop.

Augustiner Bräu Lagerbier Hell from Augustiner-Bräu Wagner KG