Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Augustiner Bräu Lagerbier Hell - Augustiner-Bräu Wagner KG

Augustiner Bräu Lagerbier HellAugustiner Bräu Lagerbier Hell

Augustiner-Bräu Wagner KG visit their website
Germany

Munich Helles Lager |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-15-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Augustiner Bräu Lagerbier Hell Alström Bros

From Munich, a very very great beer. My favorite German beer. I drank a ton of these in Munich and brought some back with me. I would love to be able to find this in America. The taste, like many of the other Munich beers, is very smooth, not heavy, but with a rich, consistent flavor. This is not a beer with a very unique flavor. It doesn't have fruit or random stuff in it. It is simply a great beer, a beer I could drink every single day. (442 characters)

This is THE benchmark for lagers, hands down. Having used to think Weihenstephaner original was the prototype, a visit to München and a few dozen of these over my visit thoroughly changed my mind. The absolute definition of balance and drinkability without tasting simply watered down. Not overly sweet nor overly hopped like many Helles, particularly American clones. All hail the standard bearer for the type. The greatest shame is that this brew is not exported whatsoever; the Augustiner Edelstoff is not up to par. (520 characters)

Had this beer on tap at the Brewhouse right across from the Hofbrau in Munich. Served in a mug cool.

A-fluffy white head, light and bright gold body

S-floral hop aroma, earth, some metals

T-perfectly balanced malt and hop flavor, bready almost light pastry like.

M-light almost airy

D-maybe one of my favorites of all time. Just superb. I wish I could get this on tap at my local bar. I hope to drink this beer again. (422 characters)

Absolutely one of the best beers I've evr had! In fact, probably the best beer ever! I enjoyed a slew of them in Munich and wish I could enjoy them on tap here in the US. It is crisp, clean, refreshing and everything else you'd want in a beer. So freakin' good! (261 characters)

The on tap version of Augustiner Hell is about as close to perfection as you find in a classic Munich larger. The medium carbonation and smoothness of the malt make it very drinkable. The lack of bitterness or sweetness makes it perfect by what it lacks. Serving was in an Augustiner specfic stange. I have tried the bottle and growler forms and the carbonation level changes slightly(transport, age) but the taste and mouthfeel are not really altered. (452 characters)

Augustiner is the best in Munich. The locals know it. I enjoy the other 5, don't get me wrong, but they are the best of the big 6. This is Munich Helles style at its best. (177 characters)

I have to give this beer full points because it´s simply my favorite one. This beer is a flawless example of Helles, and is the most impressive Helles I have ever tasted. A true bench mark example of the style, and a true master piece. Smell is an intense flora hop aroma, and taste is a perfect balance between malt and hop. (326 characters)

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a .5 liter stein.

Big thanks to Digita7693 for sending me this beer. I have been looking for it since October 2008 after my first Oktoberfest in Germany.

Appearance: pours a beautiful, filtered and perfectly clear golden yellow. Lots of bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass shows me it's superior carbonation. Nice frothy head recedes to leave spider we like lacing down the stein. Really fresh looking.

Smell: has a bright fresh light bitter aroma to it. Really fresh like sea water. Also has a nice humidity to it, like being in a brewery. Really great toasted white bread aroma as well.

Taste: fresh as can bee flavors. Really eye opening how pure this beer is. Has that great European lager flavor of toasted bread and lemon zest. This is my favorite beer and it's great to see that my palate has evolved in the two years since I have had this, but the flavors still jump out that make me love this beer.

Mouthfeel: has perfect carbonation, effortless transitions between the palates. Really smooth, with some nice bitter hops and a sweet bready malt feel to it.

Drinkability: I could drink 10 of these bottles in a sitting. Really the best beer for every season to me. Not super light and not super heavy. I would love this with some roasted chicken or fish dishes. If you have a chance to try this version it's going to be a revelation. The American import version is good, but this is a whole new level. A must try if you are in Germany. (1,490 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.1%

Crisp, malty, big mouthfeel for a helles. On tap in the BierKeller in Munchen. Have had this on every visit and just love the way it gets better and better as you drink it. Great for a long session.

I have requested this beer in heaven and for a desert Island situation. (273 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +17.3%

Nothing quite like drinking this out of a cask in Munich! Unfortunately all of the bottled versions of this are lacking, however it is still one of most amazing beers I have ever had. If you like German beer, and you don't like the "cheap" ones, give this one a try, and try some more. This beer is downright amazing, I would never pass up this beer if given the chance. (370 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16.9%

Consumed vom Fass at Augustiner Braustuberl in Munich - several times - during my 09 March through 19 March visit.

Amazingly bright and golden in colour with a thick, pillowy head sitting firmly atop this Bier. Great lacing. Fantastic hay-like grainy aroma with hints of hops. just for balance. Unsurpassingly smooth with a moderate carbonation. Grassy flavours with lots of character from the malt. Hands down, the best Helles lager I had while in Bavaria. Balanced, worked and played well with everything. Fantastic in its sturdiness and underrated, simplistic beauty. (572 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I enjoyed a Litre of this lager beer in Munich during Oktoberfest. This beer was was the most memorable for my visit. This larger smelled of good quality hops but not to strong of a hop smell. The color and head were perfect. The body was medium to light with a good lager flavor. There is also a very slight floral / sweet aspect to this lager that makes it unique and superb. (377 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

Most people living in and around Munich agree that this is the best local beer to be had. No need to add to descriptions of the taste with all the other reviews around.

It gets even better in view of the company background.
They do their own malting and are the only brewery to tap from wooden kegs at their beergardens and at oktoberfest. (340 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +15.7%

0.5 liter bottle into an Augustiner willibecker glass. I've had this many times before but never bothered to review it.
Clear yellow golden with a nice white head. Nice, pretty standard munich hell look.
The smell is a great balance of sweet malts and just a hint of grassy hops.
Wonderful. A slight sweetness with again just a tiny hint of grassy hops. Very smooth with none of the graininess or slick butteriness lesser helles lagers can have. Just wish those hops shined through a shade richer.
Very easy-going, very smooth.
Really just THE munich helles lager. Just about the perfect example of the style. Try it from the gravity casks in their biergarten in the summer for the full experience. (701 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +15.7%

After spending 4 months in Germany and 3 weekends at Octoberfest I will say this is my most favorite beer! Augustiner has a great drink-ability with exceptional quality. Very smooth taste and crisp feel. a great "everyday beer".

When I arrived back in the states I found Augustiner in bottles and was hoping that my appreciation for the beer would be the same. I was not disappointed! (385 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

One of my all time favorites. I'm so excited, I finally found this Stateside for the first time.

Pours a straw yellow with good depth of color. Short head with good retention.

Smell is of grain and fruit, subtle and very pleasing aroma. Taste is smooth yet rich, crisp yet substantial. Both smooth grain, apple taste in the malts and a sweet hoppy finish like a Czech pilsner. While the bottled version isn't quite what I've had fresh on tap, as I recall, this is still a superb lager. A benchmark for the style, having all the smoothness and subtleness it should, but with more depth and complexity of flavor than its European peers. (637 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

"Ein maß bitte"
This beer was incredible. This beer was exactly what I dreamed it would be. I had it in the liter form at the Augustiner biergarten in Munich. Nothing can quite compare.
Smell: Smells slightly of bread, hop aroma to balance, but nothing too strong.
Appearance: Pale and golden colored, it was very clear
Taste: Incredibly clean malt flavor, again balanced with hop bitterness.
Mouthfeel: lightly carbonated, which makes it refreshing. Goes down easy.
Drinkability: It is clear why they serve it in liters: because you can drink liters of it!

Order one of the gigantic pretzels with it and you will not be disappointed, although all their food is excellent. (674 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14%

This is how a MUNICH HELLES LAGER beer should be! Smooth, always urging you to take one more and, very important, no bad feelings on "the day after", even if you drowned yourself in up to 10 litres!
This is heaven, this is Manna! The real Munich beer! (253 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +13.1%

Lager perfection. I've had it both bottled (UK) and draught in Munich. You could waste a month of sunny afternoons with it. So clean, so crisp. My best beer discovery this year. (177 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +13.1%

My girlfriend sampled this beer during a recent trip to Munich and came back raving about how good it was. I recently discovered it for sale on a well known UK beer stockist's website so naturally I had to buy some.

APPEARANCE
- Pours a very light, clear golden colour with a thin head. You can tell how refreshing the beer is going to taste just by looking at it in the glass.

SMELL
- Quite sweet and grainy. Very good, without being too strong.

TASTE
- VERY clean and crisp. Without a doubt the most refreshing beer I have ever tasted. You could give this to a non beer drinker and I'm sure they would love it. I was extremely surprised at just how easy it was to drink considering it's 5.2% ABV. Usually beers that go down as easily as this one are light beers with a much lower ABV.

MOUTHFEEL
- Mildly carbonated and very smooth. Seriously, this is a beer that pretty much goes down as easy as water.

DRINKABILITY
- I don't think I have ever came across a beer that was as drinkable as this one. Perfect for a hot day or for just kicking back with some friends. Despite the slightly higher ABV this could without a doubt be consumed in large quantities.

I don't think I've ever been so impressed with a beer before. I'll be stocking up again very soon. If you are looking for a very high quality, refreshing, easy to drink beer then you aren't going to get any better than this. Every day we see ads on TV for a new beer claiming to give us that light, easy taste like no other. All I can say is that all of those companies could only ever dream of producing something as fantastic as Augustiner.

No wonder this is Munich's favourite beer. I'd love to go over there now just to try some on tap. (1,705 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +12.4%

Served in liter mugs at the Augustiner Biergarten in Munich Germany.

The body has is a golden yellow color with a large bright white two inch head. The taste speaks for itself, this is by far one of the best tasting lagers in the world. Great hop character which is in perfect balance with the malt.

You can litterally taste how fresh this beer really is. The hops are grown in the Hallertau Valley, so there is little distance from the actual growspot and the place of production. Fresh, Delicious, and Classic. (515 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

From cask in Salzburg.
Salzburg is a beautiful city and has to be in the top 5 cities in the world to drink beer. The Augustiner in Salzburg is better than the location in Munchen.

Because the beer was served in a clay stein, the beers appearance was not readily observable. A slight head present. Smells awesome and tastes awesome. Sooo easy to appreciate. even easier to guzzle down.

this is an exceptional drink. I wish Americans could appreciate such quality and produce such drink here in the states. (510 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%

I would rate that beer as being UTTERLY SUPERB!!

Great smooth taste, though czech lager lovers might not appreciate it since there is zero bitterness in the taste.

As for me a beer of pure perfection! (204 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +10.5%

Had in the bottle numerous times, now after having a few last night after work, on-tap review is in order.
Pours a bright golden tone, great head, foamy creamy and and lots of active carbonation in my glass.
Smells of light malt, grassy hops, fresh bitter bite from the bitter minerals in the water here, biscuit, citrus, overall a light, biting Helles.
Flavor is spot-on. Biscuit, lemon, fresh grass, mineral, bread, light tingling carbonation adding to the citrus bite, finishing with the great touch of bittering Hallertau. This beer is a bit more carbonated on tap, adding to the sparking character I enjoy so mch when drank from the bottle.
This brew manages to to be lightly tart and biting, and slightly creamy and malty in the same sip. This is the top Helles in the land of Helles that is Bavaria. It deserves the high accolades and really is stellar for the style. Cheers. (882 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +10.5%

This is my go to beer when I'm in Germany. When your in the supermarket and you can't decide what beer to get-- get Augustiner.

A: Looks like a Helles should nice golden colour with quite a bit of carbonation. Has a decent head and lacing.

S: Big malt smells and a little bit of lemon grass. Perhaps something spicy from the hops???

T: Wonderful! nice big malt flavours tastes a bit like bread with some grassy and herbal tones to savour. This beer has a bit more hop flavour than many other Helles beers. Less alcohol taste than Edelstoff, which is a positive IMHO.

M: The carbonation in this beer is what sticks out. I think that is a big factor in this beer's overall appeal.

D: Goes down so smooth. You can drink this all night no problem, which I have done on several occasions. (791 characters)

Augustiner Bräu Lagerbier Hell from Augustiner-Bräu Wagner KG