Augustiner Bräu Lagerbier Hell - Augustiner-Bräu Wagner KG

Augustiner Bräu Lagerbier HellAugustiner Bräu Lagerbier Hell

Augustiner-Bräu Wagner KG visit their website
Germany

Munich Helles Lager |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-15-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Augustiner Bräu Lagerbier Hell Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

On my trip to Deutschland this was the first beer I had a chance to encounter. I had just gotten off the tour bus and scurried around until I stumbled into the first restauraunt I could find. It happened to be this 4 star dig and I was severely under-dressed. I asked the waiter (using what little German I knew) what he recommended. He smiled and exclaimed,
"Augustiner!"

When he brought the first glass the first thing I noticed was the 2 finger thick head (and it stayed that way for some time). Before I took the first swig I got a good long inhale. Glorious. Taste: can't be desribed any further than delectable. The only thing that kinda bugged me was the stingy after taste (I took of in the mouthfeel category). Other than that I think this is a finely brewed beverage.

austinhensley, Aug 15, 2010

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a .5 liter stein.

Big thanks to Digita7693 for sending me this beer. I have been looking for it since October 2008 after my first Oktoberfest in Germany.

Appearance: pours a beautiful, filtered and perfectly clear golden yellow. Lots of bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass shows me it's superior carbonation. Nice frothy head recedes to leave spider we like lacing down the stein. Really fresh looking.

Smell: has a bright fresh light bitter aroma to it. Really fresh like sea water. Also has a nice humidity to it, like being in a brewery. Really great toasted white bread aroma as well.

Taste: fresh as can bee flavors. Really eye opening how pure this beer is. Has that great European lager flavor of toasted bread and lemon zest. This is my favorite beer and it's great to see that my palate has evolved in the two years since I have had this, but the flavors still jump out that make me love this beer.

Mouthfeel: has perfect carbonation, effortless transitions between the palates. Really smooth, with some nice bitter hops and a sweet bready malt feel to it.

Drinkability: I could drink 10 of these bottles in a sitting. Really the best beer for every season to me. Not super light and not super heavy. I would love this with some roasted chicken or fish dishes. If you have a chance to try this version it's going to be a revelation. The American import version is good, but this is a whole new level. A must try if you are in Germany.

Augustiner719, Aug 13, 2010

Had this beer on tap at the Brewhouse right across from the Hofbrau in Munich. Served in a mug cool.

A-fluffy white head, light and bright gold body

S-floral hop aroma, earth, some metals

T-perfectly balanced malt and hop flavor, bready almost light pastry like.

M-light almost airy

D-maybe one of my favorites of all time. Just superb. I wish I could get this on tap at my local bar. I hope to drink this beer again.

jneiswender, Aug 11, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +12.7%

This is my go to beer when I'm in Germany. When your in the supermarket and you can't decide what beer to get-- get Augustiner.

A: Looks like a Helles should nice golden colour with quite a bit of carbonation. Has a decent head and lacing.

S: Big malt smells and a little bit of lemon grass. Perhaps something spicy from the hops???

T: Wonderful! nice big malt flavours tastes a bit like bread with some grassy and herbal tones to savour. This beer has a bit more hop flavour than many other Helles beers. Less alcohol taste than Edelstoff, which is a positive IMHO.

M: The carbonation in this beer is what sticks out. I think that is a big factor in this beer's overall appeal.

D: Goes down so smooth. You can drink this all night no problem, which I have done on several occasions.

EwaldEichstaett, Jul 17, 2010
2.98/5  rDev -28.5%

Half litre brown bottle, best before July 2010, drank early June 2010 on a warm sunny afternoon in my garden. Poured (3 times) into a Veltins Pilsner stemmed tulip.

Pale golden, as you'd expect from a helles lager. Snow white foaming head on each pour, some lacing, but not huge ammounts.

Weak smell, wheat or straw type esters, otherwise nothing.

The beer is crisp and refreshing, but lacks body, the alcohol is evident from the first sip which makes the beer unbalanced in my book.

The sun makes the beers shine, but all that glisens isn't gold. This is an OK lager, but a long way from something I'd recommend anyone having while tasting German beers.

BlackHaddock, Jun 02, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -30.5%

From the cask at Augustiner across from Hofbrauhaus in Munich.

Color is a deep golden straw color, with almost, ALMOST, a hint of brownish green to it. Crystal clear with no sediment. Served with a strong think head that persisted for several minutes.

Strong flavors on the nose. Leafy with hints of citrus and a little grain. Only mild malt on the nose.

Bready with green leaf on the initial taste. Citrus elements don't continue into the taste. There's not much sweetness to it, but a fair amount of bitters on the finish. Not as balanced as I would have hoped.

Texture is full bodied, thicker than other Munich lagers. Relatively no acid and very little bite.

I found the bitterness on the finish to be a little overwhelming and therefore drinkability takes a bit hit.

Overall, I would not order this again.

jmhart, May 04, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

(Served in a imperial strange)
A- This beer has a crystal clear pale golden yellow hued body with a mousse snow white head that was a bit bubbly on top. There is a big carbonation of microbubbles gliding to the surface. S- This beer has a light green herbal and sulfur note with a very soft raw grain hint coming through as the beer warms.
T- This beer has a light pale malt hint with mineral water note to the soft Noble hop green flavor in the finish. There is a very light sweetness in the finish aswell.
M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a tight fizz finish.
D- This beer has a very soft smooth light flavor but the sulfur is mild and blends well with the slight sweetness. The hops are not all pungent but still pretty light and dry. It is a refreshing crisp beer just a little drab.

rhoadsrage, Apr 21, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

.5L emptied into a Pokal.

A: Pours golden with a fluffy 3-finger white head which receeds to a thick ring. Good lacing throughout.

S: Grassy hops, sweet malt, biscuits, lemon zest.

M: Medium bodied with lively carbonation.

T: Malt and hops are nicely balanced, with solid malt at the fore and mildly spicy hops contributing to a crisp finish. Biscuity aftertaste.

D: One of my favorites, but hard to get here in Vienna. But it is worth bothering to find it.

sunrisesolara, Apr 16, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

A - Bright, clear gold with a good sized foamy and sticky white head. Retention is decent and a bit of lacing is left on the edges.

S - Typical Pilsener type of smell with a bit of bready pale malt. Also a good amount of lemongrass smell too. More floral/herbal hop smells in the background.

T - Base of the beer is pale malt with a bit of bread and grainy taste. Sometimes this is in the background and other times it is more upfront. Good amount of hops present. They provide a bit of bitterness as well as some grassy, floral, and herbal taste. Also a good amount of tart apple and lemon provide a zesty taste along with some pepper. This spiced, zesty, and bitterness is always present, but sometimes the malt masks these. Good balance with zesty and some hoppiness winning out.

M - Medium to light body with average to slightly above average carbonation. Smooth and crisp with a slightly drying finish.

D - Good drinkability. Goes down smooth and refreshing. Good amounts of sweet malt and zesty hops.

Notes: Good, simple, easy to drink lager. Just a nice to drink everyday, session beer. Maybe not the most memorable, but I would gladly get it again.

FreshHawk, Mar 02, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +12.2%

Had in the bottle numerous times, now after having a few last night after work, on-tap review is in order.
Pours a bright golden tone, great head, foamy creamy and and lots of active carbonation in my glass.
Smells of light malt, grassy hops, fresh bitter bite from the bitter minerals in the water here, biscuit, citrus, overall a light, biting Helles.
Flavor is spot-on. Biscuit, lemon, fresh grass, mineral, bread, light tingling carbonation adding to the citrus bite, finishing with the great touch of bittering Hallertau. This beer is a bit more carbonated on tap, adding to the sparking character I enjoy so mch when drank from the bottle.
This brew manages to to be lightly tart and biting, and slightly creamy and malty in the same sip. This is the top Helles in the land of Helles that is Bavaria. It deserves the high accolades and really is stellar for the style. Cheers.

czfreeman, Feb 05, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +19.2%

Crisp, malty, big mouthfeel for a helles. On tap in the BierKeller in Munchen. Have had this on every visit and just love the way it gets better and better as you drink it. Great for a long session.

I have requested this beer in heaven and for a desert Island situation.

Feurhund, Jan 18, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -17.7%

As some of the reviewers also say below, I had the pleasure of drinking a lot of Augustiner at the 2009 Oktoberfest. I loved the Oktoberfest bier served in the tent, and also the lager served at their restaurant near Marienplatz. So when I saw bottles of this on the menu at Post 390 Restaurant in Boston, I thought I'd give it a shot. Well, as they say, it's always freshest at the source. Poured into a pint glass, it had a nice bright yellow color, but lacked the head I was hoping for. Smell was clean and fresh. Taste kinda let me down somewhat. While I could feel that crisp German lager flavor was there, I think the bottle was starting to turn a bit, as it was a bit skunky. Kinda turned me off a bit. An easy beer to drink, but maybe I should have skipped it in the US and just kept the good memories of drinking it at Oktoberfest in my mind.

morebeergood, Nov 23, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Having recently returned from Oktoberfest, and reflecting on the countless beers that I tried, some multiple times, and under varying states of sobriety, I have decided I would only rate my "favorite" beer that I tried during the festival. That, of course, would be the Augustiner Helles.

This beer was decidedly clearer, and lighter in appearance among the many choices available in Munich. While it doesn't "look" like anything spectacular, it certainly was the tastiest. A touch more hops and a touch less malt than the others - this one may be the closest to a Czech Pilsner (I also tasted many of those on the trip while in Prague). Perhaps that is the reason I liked the Augustiner the most.

I will forego the usual review of appearance, smell, mouthfeel, etc. as this style of german beer is pretty similar across the many brands. I think it is sufficient to simply state that I preferred Augustiner over the rest. It was crisp, refreshing, very drinkable but also had an ever-so slight kiss of hoppy goodness.

By the way, I also tried the Augustiner that is brewed in a very tiny brewery in Salzburg, Austria and found it to compare favorably to the Austrian beers as well. I guess that says a lot about consistency in the name.

If you find yourself in Oktoberfest, be sure to stop by the Augustiner tent for an evening with this excellent Helles.

PrinceDarren, Nov 03, 2009

Had on tap at the Augustiner beer hall in the Marienplatz, Munich.

A - Golden straw body and clear as day with a very thick and fluffy white head that retains for a good long time. Whispy lacing on the glass.

S - Biscuity malt with light hop aroma. Somewhat sweet.

T&M - Very smooth and easy-to-drink beer. Light crystal malt with just a touch of hop bitterness. Nice and biscuity and goes great with a pretzel and sausage with mustard. Becomes grassy and dry as it warms adding that much more flavor profile.

D - I could down these all night. So easy to drink and unoffensive.

MrIncognito, Oct 22, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from a 500mL bottle into a pint glass. Light yellow in color with a coarse white head, eventually fades away completely. Smells sweet and malty. Taste is light and spicy. Very, very smooth and infinitely drinkable.

I wish I could have a liter mug of this in Munich. This would be a good one to quaff.

srroos, Sep 25, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

My girlfriend sampled this beer during a recent trip to Munich and came back raving about how good it was. I recently discovered it for sale on a well known UK beer stockist's website so naturally I had to buy some.

APPEARANCE
- Pours a very light, clear golden colour with a thin head. You can tell how refreshing the beer is going to taste just by looking at it in the glass.

SMELL
- Quite sweet and grainy. Very good, without being too strong.

TASTE
- VERY clean and crisp. Without a doubt the most refreshing beer I have ever tasted. You could give this to a non beer drinker and I'm sure they would love it. I was extremely surprised at just how easy it was to drink considering it's 5.2% ABV. Usually beers that go down as easily as this one are light beers with a much lower ABV.

MOUTHFEEL
- Mildly carbonated and very smooth. Seriously, this is a beer that pretty much goes down as easy as water.

DRINKABILITY
- I don't think I have ever came across a beer that was as drinkable as this one. Perfect for a hot day or for just kicking back with some friends. Despite the slightly higher ABV this could without a doubt be consumed in large quantities.

I don't think I've ever been so impressed with a beer before. I'll be stocking up again very soon. If you are looking for a very high quality, refreshing, easy to drink beer then you aren't going to get any better than this. Every day we see ads on TV for a new beer claiming to give us that light, easy taste like no other. All I can say is that all of those companies could only ever dream of producing something as fantastic as Augustiner.

No wonder this is Munich's favourite beer. I'd love to go over there now just to try some on tap.

Lees4236, Aug 28, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Found this at Bert's Bierhuis in Utrecht. Sold out very quickly, unfortunately.

Into my Augustiner beer glass.

APPEARANCE: Pours a two finger medium-thick white head. Color is a golden or lemon yellow and is perfectly clear with decent carbonation in the form of bigger bubbles. Head slowly fades to a thin white film. A thin film remains and leaves some solid lacing down the glass. Very nice.

SMELL: Grainy sweet malt with hints of dark bread and a touch of floral hops as well. Decent strength as well. Good nose.

TASTE: A bit of sweet malt up front with some grainy and dark bread notes through the middle. Finishes with some flowery hops, bread, and a touch of bitterness. Aftertaste is mild and long lasting. Good profile for sure.

PALATE: Medium-full body with medium-low end carbonation. Goes down smooth with no bite at all and finishes crisp with just the right amount of dryness on the palate. I understand why they call this vollbier. Can't imagine it getting any better for the style.

OVERALL: Don't be put off by the fact that all the bums drink this around the train station. This is one of the most drinkable and enjoyable lagers of all time and was my beer of choice while in Munich. It's just as good out of the bottle as well. This one rivals, and probably beats, Weihenstephan's Original for top spot in the helles category. One I'll definitely make a staple, especially in the warmer summer months. Should be drunk in Mass quantities. Munich bums have good taste. Very recommended.

Jeffo, Jul 09, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +16.3%

"Ein maß bitte"
This beer was incredible. This beer was exactly what I dreamed it would be. I had it in the liter form at the Augustiner biergarten in Munich. Nothing can quite compare.
Smell: Smells slightly of bread, hop aroma to balance, but nothing too strong.
Appearance: Pale and golden colored, it was very clear
Taste: Incredibly clean malt flavor, again balanced with hop bitterness.
Mouthfeel: lightly carbonated, which makes it refreshing. Goes down easy.
Drinkability: It is clear why they serve it in liters: because you can drink liters of it!

Order one of the gigantic pretzels with it and you will not be disappointed, although all their food is excellent.

sweetschalls, Jul 03, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Had this numerous times on my last Munich trip, although primarily at Am Platzl and Am Dom.
This is the quintessential helles.
Light golden with a fluffy white head.
Freshly baked bread and light flowery hops.
While the bready malt is the focus, the hops are evident and bold enough to offer a solid counterpoint to the grains.
This is about as easy drinking as a lager will ever be. Not too thick, to sweet, or too watery. Just right across the board.
There's a reason this is widely considered Munich's favorite beer.
It'll never be as bold and daring as a bigger beer, but I'd say it's drinkability and balance are unmatched.
It might be fairly common, but don't let that fool you. It's as good as anything you'll find from the smaller Bavarian brewers, too.
World class for sure.

Domingo, Jun 08, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

An exceptionally clean easy to drink summer lager and first rate at that. Problems with travel could occur and I expect this not to last long at all being a hell. You loose the hop feel on your mouth after the drink by date but it is still safe due to the cleaness of the beer.

I was pleasently surpirsed with this lager being as clean and crisp as it was. This is a great traditional lager, leaving little to the nose but plenty to the taste and the feel. The taste is clean and crisp and the hops are prominent on the tongue.

A perfect beer for the long summer day. Despite the abv the drinkability is very high. Most lagers this light in the feel are often of much lower abv. The closest I can compare this to in a bitter would be Amarrilo from Essex. A very easy going, not intimidating, sit back and relax with the hops heavy and the taste long. I think I remember slight citrus overtones but the fact is when it's hot and you need a light tasting and unintimidating lager this is ideal.

Keep this in the fridge and pop it open on a summer day and a great accompanyment to the soccer or whatever preferred sporting event. Fantastic summer beer.

tm82, Apr 19, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Great white head atop a brilliant straw head. head is lingering and leaves some very tight lacing. very mild hop notes with a decent malt aroma. taste is very mildly fruity and crisp and clean. tasty and light without being watered down. great mouthfeel and overall drinkability.

geographie, Mar 24, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +18.2%

Consumed vom Fass at Augustiner Braustuberl in Munich - several times - during my 09 March through 19 March visit.

Amazingly bright and golden in colour with a thick, pillowy head sitting firmly atop this Bier. Great lacing. Fantastic hay-like grainy aroma with hints of hops. just for balance. Unsurpassingly smooth with a moderate carbonation. Grassy flavours with lots of character from the malt. Hands down, the best Helles lager I had while in Bavaria. Balanced, worked and played well with everything. Fantastic in its sturdiness and underrated, simplistic beauty.

goindownsouth, Mar 23, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +14.6%

Served in liter mugs at the Augustiner Biergarten in Munich Germany.

The body has is a golden yellow color with a large bright white two inch head. The taste speaks for itself, this is by far one of the best tasting lagers in the world. Great hop character which is in perfect balance with the malt.

You can litterally taste how fresh this beer really is. The hops are grown in the Hallertau Valley, so there is little distance from the actual growspot and the place of production. Fresh, Delicious, and Classic.

cpmau11, Feb 18, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

I had this beer on-tap at the Augustiner Bierhaus in Munich and found it to be very good. Augustiner is by far the best brewery in Munich and it is much easier to recognize, because of the competition between wheat beers in the area. It has a golden body and doesn't give off much smell, like most lagers. Full body with very little after-taste. This beer is widely-respected by most Bavarians.

germanbeer1, Nov 27, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

The bottle states "Helles Vollbier", and that's precisely what its content is, clear and full. This beer embodies what I like so much about German beer: high quality ingredients and the opportunity to get in touch with and truly taste them.

A firm and juicy, yet slightly dryish body of pale malt is supplemented by some lemon-like hop accents and many little fruity notes (white grapes, apple). It is the taste that manifests these qualities best. It's a long journey in which sweet and bitter, sour and herbal, are constantly exchanged (somehow akin to a good white wine). Slightly dry and a juicy mouthfeel, with a perfect carbonation level.

In the desirable sense of the word, this is a simple beer that is very tasteful!

TKempe, Aug 27, 2008