Tusker Premium Lager - East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries)

Tusker Premium LagerTusker Premium Lager

East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries) visit their website
Kenya

American Adjunct Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-18-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tusker Premium Lager Alström Bros

SteeBfranchise, Nov 24, 2012

mwitikana, Aug 21, 2014
4.71/5  rDev +56.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tusker Lager has a thick, foamy head, a clear, bubbly, straw appearance, some suspended white particles floating throughout, a thick, foamy head, and a some minimal lacing left on the glass. The aroma is of full, sweet, bready, barley malt, and the taste is of the same, with some grass, mild hop bitterness, subdued sugar, and a bit of steamed vegetable. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Tusker Lager finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, drinkable, and wonderful. Overall, this is a definitive lager beer, and I rate it most excellent. Great stuff!

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Feb 07, 2013

ordybill, Jul 24, 2014

BelgiumBob, Aug 12, 2012

Lobstertainment, Apr 21, 2013
4.47/5  rDev +48.5%

500 ml bottle. Pours a clear pale yellow, with a white head that receded quickly, but leaves a little bit of lace on the glass. Aroma of lemon is evident. Highly carbonated, with a clean finish. Definetly a thirst quenching brew. I could sit and drink this all night! A real session beer.

Indybeer, May 31, 2003
4.3/5  rDev +42.9%

I remember I couldn't keep this beer on the shelf at Total Wine when I worked there. I enjoyed this beer a lot myself. Had it chilled in a pint glass. Poured a thick gold color. The smell was of creamy caramel. The taste was the same and I love that taste in general. A very drinkable beer for me because I can't get enough of the caramel taste. I could see enjoying this deep in the jungle on a safari. Good times.

Portertime, Apr 28, 2008

Dcor, Sep 04, 2012

disruptor32, Apr 28, 2012

walterkitty, Dec 29, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +41.2%

Smooth lager poured from a bottle. No head but minimal lacing. Clean with no after taste.

jburris64, Sep 22, 2014
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I love Tusker!

I "discovered" this Kenyan lager at an Indian restaurant of all places, and I've been enjoying it ever since.

The smell, while minimal is actually quite nice, vaguely malty sweetness. Taste is great, slightly sweet and very refreshing, with a noticeable taste of sweet malts and honey (even smells of honey...a good thing in this case).

When poured into a glass (the only way I've ever enjoyed a Tusker...most beer is better this way), Tusker offers an abundant head that leaves a noticeable lacing. Mouthfeel is excellent, with a subtle carbonation that almost tickles the tongue, rather than overpower the beer.

Karyyk, Jan 27, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +38.9%

Pours a pale straw color with a decent head and heavy carbonation. Nothing really special about this, just a highly drinkable beer that went down almost too quickly. Almost as good as Chechvar, but with the carbonation of a San Miguel. A good choice for a session beer.

techdiver, Nov 16, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +38.9%

a gift from a friend - bought and drank in cambridge, ma, October 2009.

golden yellow typical color, clear, for some reason reminds me of kellerweiss color without the cloudiness. probably just me thinking of kellerweiss though.. mm. this beer had a decent 20-second head, but leaves minimal lacing.. lame.

smell is pretty good. don't notice any notable off-notes, smell of sweet malts and minimal else.. smells like sunshine on dewy grass, with a touch of earth.

tastes about what you would expect, but better. clean and slightly sweet, finishes clean but not overly dry, having just enough touch of earthy hop notes in the background to keep things balanced, just enough sweetness to not taste like water. no off flavors noticed here.

silky, just enough carbonation to give some spark on the tongue without dominating the brew

really tastes like a beer you don't even notice you're drinking. not necessarily what i usually look for in a beer, but I have to admit, it'd be easy to drink back these babies all night.

batty, Oct 20, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +36.2%

Now, I will start by saying that I fell in love with this beer before first taste. I try to read the labels of every beer I drink, and I HAD to when I saw this was a beer from Kenya. Any beer named after the elephant that killed one of the founders of the brewery.

I did not have very high hopes for this, since to my (limited) knowledge, Kenya isn't known for beer, but I went ahead and gave it a try.

Anyways, it has a light golden brown color to it. The smell isn't very strong, so no real comment for this.

This is a great summer beer as the taste is nice and crisp. It has a slight bitterness to it, but it is very inoffensive and easy to drink. The slight bitterness lingers for a bit of an after-taste, but I enjoy that. I like a beer to have some flavor as so many do not.

I learned a big lesson in not making assumptions as to where a beer is brewed. I will definitely try beers from other places that you don't think of typically for their beers.

VWBuggirl, Jan 27, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +36.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. 11/10/08.

Pours a clear bright straw-yellow color with a finger of whitish head. The head quickly dropped to a thin layer. Aroma is sweet malt with almost a wheat-like character.

Taste is very malty with a slight honey-like sweetness. Faint herbal hops close out the taste. Feel is very crisp and clean. Well-carbonated and very dry finish. Drinkability is pretty darn good. Very easy to drink, very sessionable. Great for a hot summer day.

Overall a very good lager. Very crisp and easy to drink with a decent flavor.

bkilpatr, Nov 11, 2008
4.05/5  rDev +34.6%

Picked this up for a buck and a half at my beer stop. For that price I figured what the hell.

Poured a pefectfly crystal clear light yellow with a finger of white frothy head. Head retention isn't great and lacing is minimal. This is hands down the clearest gold beer I've ever seen.

Smells of fresh water and sweet fruit. Mild malt.

Taste is very mild. Refreshing water with light malt, a bit of corn and weak hop, and a tad hint of saltiness finishes it off. The taste isn't strong by any means, and it doesn't stick with you.

Mouthfeel is light bodied, exceptionally fresh and clean, carbonation might be a bit low but it balances perfectly.

Drinkability is great. I'm really kicking myself for not getting a 6 pack of this, especially when I though to myself..this is gona suck. Awesome light beer, give it a try, fantastic with salad.

LumpyGuitar, Jul 16, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +34.6%

I would not move to Africa just to get this, but it is a very drinkable decent brew. Light honey color and sublime hoppiness. Clean rereshing taste but a bit middle of the road; then again the style of pale lager itself is middle of the road! I would drink it again but not go out of my way to do so!

CaptJackHarkness, Aug 21, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +33.9%

After reading the reviews I was kinda scared of this one but I persevered - Poured from 500 ml bottle into a pilsner glass - Color a clear gold with tight bubbles - Taste was full and clean and refreshing - Maybe the American Macro Lagers should be called African Macro Lagers

Cindirene, Mar 30, 2006
4.03/5  rDev +33.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12/16/04- Purchased at Bevmo in San Mateo, CA

Appearance- Medium golden yellow pour with a huge billowing head and light lacing at best.

Smell- Very light smell. If anything scents of malt.

Taste- Very crisp and clean malt taste. Maybe a touch of hop, but hard to tell. A bit grainy and grassy, but very quenching.

Mouthfeel- Great carbonation level and a bit of a full mouthfeel.

Drinkability- This one did the trick. It both quenched my thirst and tasted good at the same time. Recommended

GClarkage, Dec 16, 2004

beerhunter13, Jan 15, 2012

BamfBacon, Feb 11, 2013

gshoes3, Dec 29, 2013

mick_cooper, May 25, 2014
Tusker Premium Lager from East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries)