Tusker Premium Lager - East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries)

Tusker Premium LagerTusker Premium Lager

East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries) visit their website
Kenya

American Adjunct Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-18-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tusker Premium Lager Alström Bros

elBecko, Oct 18, 2012

Appearance: Pale golden straw color to it not bad, with a visible frothy white head does leave behind semi decent specks of lacing not bad. Aroma: Lemongrass, light and airy a touch of herbal hop note very mild smell to it, but nice and simple. Taste: A nice blend of semi sweet graininess with, very clean tasting lager with a touch of grassy hops there. Mouthfeel: A light bodied lager with a fizzy note to the overall texture. Drinkability: Very refreshing the type of beer I would consume if residing in Kenya, there's is nothing offensive it's just a clean tasting lager with a nice citrus grassy note to the overall flavor.

WVbeergeek, Feb 28, 2004

dsauter, Apr 28, 2013

Griffith, Jan 22, 2014

Danflurry, Dec 28, 2012

Had a Tusker whilst visitng the Tusker restaurant in the Animal Kingdom of Walt Disney. Tusker Lagar has a clear golden color with decent carbonation which provided a nice white foamy head. The smell and taste are powered by grain, but there is an interesting taste as it comes off the pallete...not sure if that is a malt that they are using or not.. The beer is easy on teh mouth and is best suited to be drank on hot summer days.

WoodBrew, Jun 11, 2011

tclipse, Apr 12, 2014

cliff1066, Jan 04, 2013

jsnoek, Nov 24, 2011
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Purchased at Hy-Vee around 11/2010 as a single, and poured into a Sam Adams Lager glass.

A=Nice foam of 1/2" lasting for at least a minute, but color of beer was a rather light yellow, in between Bud and Bud Light.

S=Fresh bread and hops...expectations increased.

T=Lightly carbonated...very watery, followed by a weird aftertaste...almost a faint charcoal flavoring similar to the old Stroh's, only not as appealing...improved enough that I could finish it.

M=Lighter than average but still quite acceptable.

D=The off-taste that I experienced made this very difficult to stick with.

dhannes, Jan 30, 2011

beersdmf17, Apr 22, 2014

CUbeerfan, Jun 24, 2014

jaydoc, Dec 03, 2013

Cheld, Oct 20, 2013
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Brilliantly clear straw color under a tall foamy white head that leaves some patchy lace dripping down the sides. Doughy sweet pale malt aroma with clean fruity honey notes...almost pilsener-like in character. Clean, sweet grainy flavor follows the nose. There is a "papery" taste that cheapens the experience considerably. The body is light but not watery...smooth with a dry finish. Extremely easy to consume and probably quite refreshing on a hot African day. Not bad for what it is.

wedge, Dec 27, 2007

A - Poured a very light pale golden yellow. A large, billowing four inch head of fizzy white foam formed initially on the top and stayed or all of a few minutes. It rested down to just a thin layer covering the top of an otherwise uninspiring looking liquid. Lots of carbonation could be seen streaming up from the top of the glass. No side glass lace was present what so ever, overall this looked to me to be nothing more then the average macro lager.

S - Aroma was light to say the least. Not much here really to pick up on, in fact it was hardly there at all. What I found was a light blend of grain and almost corn or maybe rice that was just strong enough to be picked up. A touch of some grass maybe as well, and a bit of a bready thing, but nothing really too special. Kind of musty in the overall aroma.

T - Ehh, I knew where this one was going already. Shall I say best served very cold? This was just another imported macro and I should have saw that one coming. What flavor was there was light grain and corm, mixed in with a touch of fresh grass, just enough to try and give it some semblance of a flavor. For some reason I kept picking up rice notes in here, not really sure as to why. But the flavor either way way very light and rather bland. Towards the end I started to pick up the slightest amount of some bready malt and possibly the smallest hint of some cereal grain, but again nothing standing out to me.

M - Very very light. To its credit this was very light and refreshing, something that is rather common with the style, and I was outside and it was hot, so this one served its purpose very well at the time. Now other then that I really do not have much else to say. Very light with very little body of presence to it. Just a forgettable lager.

D - Superb when it is hot outside and this is cold. Now reverse those to and it might cause you some trouble. This was actually not that bad at all drinking wise when it was first poured; the only problem was when it started to warm up and just fell flat. Cannot let these things get warm and I know better then that, learned my lesson on this one.

Overall I tried it because it was unique compared to what else was there, however it was really not that special at all. I am glad I chose it over the BMC making up the majority of the rest of the choices however it was of the same vain. I suppose you could do much worse in a selection; however this was really not that great. I would have it again if it was ice cold and I was thirsty and did not have to pay for it, but either then that I will find one from somewhere else.

mikesgroove, Oct 09, 2007

ryanmcd, Jan 26, 2014

Moderate skunkyness in the nose, despite being packaged in a (light) brown bottle. I noted that Pegasus rated this beer not too long ago, and the packaging was much different. His was a green long-neck, and mine was a brown bomber. Poured up with the whitest head I think I've seen yet.

Some of the skunk carried in the taste, which overall was quite light, bordering on thin. Some mild grassy notes, and what I perceived as a distinct grape flavor, which I sometimes get with some Canadian brewed lagers. Although not too impressive, it was pleasant drinking.

I did note with some curiosity that the bottle had a "best before" notch date which was 9 months later than my purchase. I doubt this beer made it from Kenya to Kentucky in a big hurry, which makes me wonder if the brewer promotes a one-year shelf-life. I've always assumed a six-month shelf life was pretty standard for non-bottle conditioned beer, and I can't imagine a one-year shelf life for a light lager like this one.

Brent, Jun 26, 2002

The beer exits the 12-ounce bottle a light gold color with a creamy white head that crowns the body, as it erodes; the lace forms a thin sheet upon the glass. Nose has a sweet malt aroma, almost maple syrup; crisp and clean, start has a fair malt presence, thin at the top, which was expected. Finish has a pedestrian acidity, the hops mild but present, dry aftertaste, a fair to middling beer, a product of its environment, certainly better than many beers from such countries.

Gusler, Nov 15, 2007

dsshuck, Nov 09, 2014

This kenyan brew poured up a pale yellow color with a nice frothy white head. Good retentive lacing on my glassy poo. The aroma was pretty plain jane, sweet corn malts. The taste was also sweet corn malts, a lil bitter hop finish lingering on my black tongue. Pretty full bodied brew with moderate carbo. If I lived in an African desert, this beer would be bomb. But thank God I live in America where I can fart away my whole day and drink waaay better beers. Not shabby tho....

stumac, Feb 23, 2010

M_C_Hampton, Oct 11, 2012

500 ml brown bottle, best before date clipped into label (same bottle as picture). Pours a bright yellow color with a fluffy 1 inch white head. The foam quickly shrank to a thin ring aroound the edge of the glass. Didn't leave any lacing. Smell was very mild and weak. The taste has some slight grains, some sweetness and a touch of hopat the end. Full carbonation leaves a tingling bite on the tongue, with enough dryness to erase any aftertaste. Clean finish. At only 4.2% it could be a better than average light beer. I thought a bit overpriced, but I guess it is an import.

BigBry, Jun 13, 2005

BabaBeer, Nov 04, 2014

Appearance- Clear golden color. Had a decent head about inch thick.

Smell- Hops with some malts and maybe hint of fruits.

Taste- Very crisp and dry.

Mouthfeel- Medium body with medium carbonation.

Drinkability- It was okay. I don't know why but I expected a little bit more from it.

Beerbuddha, Aug 10, 2007
Tusker Premium Lager from East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries)