Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Tusker Premium Lager - East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries)

Tusker Premium LagerTusker Premium Lager

East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries) visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tusker Premium Lager Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev +33.9%

Now, I will start by saying that I fell in love with this beer before first taste. I try to read the labels of every beer I drink, and I HAD to when I saw this was a beer from Kenya. Any beer named after the elephant that killed one of the founders of the brewery.

I did not have very high hopes for this, since to my (limited) knowledge, Kenya isn't known for beer, but I went ahead and gave it a try.

Anyways, it has a light golden brown color to it. The smell isn't very strong, so no real comment for this.

This is a great summer beer as the taste is nice and crisp. It has a slight bitterness to it, but it is very inoffensive and easy to drink. The slight bitterness lingers for a bit of an after-taste, but I enjoy that. I like a beer to have some flavor as so many do not.

I learned a big lesson in not making assumptions as to where a beer is brewed. I will definitely try beers from other places that you don't think of typically for their beers.

3.7/5  rDev +22.9%

Not bad for a Lager! If you see this one give it a shot! its pretty damn good!
Found this at my favorite sofa bar and loved it! It pours well with a good amount of head. This Kenyan lager blows most American Lagers away! It is crisp, and refreshing everything a Lager should be! If you see this one in your local beer store give it a shot!

3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

An interesting beer. Gold and clear in the glass. Lots of carbination. Sweet caramel nose. When drunk suble malt and caramel flavour with a subtle hop finish. Not too dry.Decent mouthfeel.
Foamy head.Not too bad to have on occasion. Not a beer that grows on you quickly.

A: This beer pours a nice golden color with a head that laces the glass

S: A corn smell with some grainy edge to it

T: Taste of some sweet malt with a hint of corn

M: This beer has some carbonization and goes down smooth

D: This is a beer that I will drink again. It is a good African beer

Driven solely by curiosity, Bucky nervously picked up a bottle of Tusker Finest Quality Lager ("Tusker") brewed by the East African Breweries Group of Kenya. Tusker came in a brown, 500 ml bottle with a best before date of October 6, 2013 printed on the reverse label, and was 4.2% alcohol by volume. According to the brewer's web site, Tusker has been brewed in East Africa since 1922 and is named after the elephant that killed George Hurst, one of the brewery's founders. The brewery is located in Ruaraka, near the capital of Nairobi, and key brands include Tusker Lager (the flagship brand), Tusker Malt Lager, Pilsner, White Cap, White Cap Light, Senator, Guinness, Allsopps and President Lager.

Tusker poured a very clear yellow/gold colour with plenty of rising bubbles visible. Pouring produced about 1.5" of pure white head that lasted for several minutes, leaving a considerable amount of lacing all down the far side of the glass. Its aroma is quite simple, bready light malts and not much of anything else. The beer's flavour begins with a fleeting light malt sweetness and finishes with a very, very subtle hop bitterness and no aftertaste. Despite the quantity of visible bubbles I found the carbonation to be quite light, and I would describe the mouthfeel as light and watery. I guess this makes sense...if I was living in an African climate I probably wouldn't be looking for a hefty porter or stout. The good news...my first African beer was drinkable. The not so good...I found Tusker to be too light in aroma, flavour and body for my particular taste. Though it wasn't a bad beer, I doubt that I'll be buying this one again. Tusker was selling for $3.35 per 500 ml bottle at the time or writing.

2.08/5  rDev -30.9%

Pale, straw beer, chill hazy with heavy lacy head.

Smell of malt and buttered corn. Not much else.

Unique butter diacetyl and corn sweetness upfront, almost like a butterscotch. Faintly perceptible hop character, with almost enough bitterness to cut the malt sweetness, leaving a slight "cloy" on the palate.

Thin, with a very fizzy character.

Reminds me of Red Stripe with the heavy "sweet buttered corn" flavor, but not as good.

2.3/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I was drawn to this beer mostly, because I wanted to try an African-style beverage, but my hopes for this beer were quickly dashed. This beer is rather metallic in taste and has an overall sloppy feeling on the palate. This is definitely a beer that you can cross off your list, but probably not worth going back for.

2.15/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

This beer pours light golden, with light head, and had average carbonation. It has little to no aroma, its has the tastes of fruits, hops, vegetables, and goes down fairly easy. It finishes dirty, leaves the mouth dry, and is no better than the average domestic pale lager.

2.83/5  rDev -6%

The pour produced a soft white head on top of a very clear golden brew with a extremely active carbonation. This lager is pretty much what i expected, not aroma or taste. The aroma of lemon and coriander are weak. Buttery grain and citrus flavors don't impress. I was surprised by the busy carbonation giving a gentle creamy mouthfeel.

3.07/5  rDev +2%

Poured a very pale yellow with two fingers of frother white head. Many tiny bubbles rise to the top quickly. They head stays for a good period of time, and has good lacing.

Strong smelling. Sweet upfront, with a sort of biscuity malt backround. Hops are present as well. More complex than I expected.

Malty taste upfront, but unfortunately quickly followed by a metallic flavour. Sort of an apple juice aftertaste.

Watery and fizzy mouthfeel.

Everything was going good until the taste. If you're looking for a top quality macro, this isn't it. Do yourself a favour, and get a Red Stripe.

3.39/5  rDev +12.6%

Bought 2 500ml bottles the other day and drank them on two distinct evenings. I was actually able to detect the subtle flavors better in the second bottle. The beer pours very very pale yellow (almost clear towards the bottom of the glass). Decent head, moderate density. Though it has the same color as many macros, none of the metallic macro smell. In fact, there is little smell at all outside mild honey. Subtle herb flavor, plus a decent undertone of honey. Definitely a refreshing beer - perfect for the deserts of Kenya (country of origin). Good mouthfeel and drinkability - a refreshing drink but you have to search to find its distinctive qualities.

2.49/5  rDev -17.3%

In my effort to diversify sources, picked up a Kenyan brew.

Beer pours cloudy Serengeti grasslands yellow. Some fizzing, no head.

Clean smell, can't detect much of anything except grain.

Pretty carbonated, clean and crisp. It's thin, offering less than most Asian macros, maybe a little more than most American macros.

This brew doesn't offer that much (even ice-cold) but it doesn't include anything unexpected either. Glad I tried it...on to something else.

3.85/5  rDev +27.9%

A: A classic golden yellow. A medium pour produces 1/2 inch of coarse white head that quickly fades to near nothing. Average.

S: Actually pretty good. Some biscuitty maltiness with grassy notes and some metallic features. Butter husk too.

T: Hmmmm..I'm actually impressed. There is quite a bit here. Some refined malty grassy notes with just a hint of metallica. Hops kick in with a creamy finish coming in at the end. Above average in complexity and very well balanced.

M: A medium body that goes light due to some dryness. CO2 is a little too high in my opinion.

D: An excellent, drinkable, refreshing beer. Cheers.

2.69/5  rDev -10.6%

A - light goldish
S- malty, like malt liquor
T - tast like a malt liquor, not like King Cobra cheap malt liqor, more like a German style malt liqour (there is a differnce)
M- smooth crisp finish
D- not my style of beer, but i have had them and they are slightly appealing
Kinda cool to say you have drink a beer made in Kenya but its not $2.99 worth of beer, domestic brewery's make way better lagers for a lot cheaper, mainly paying for importing price

3.4/5  rDev +13%

Poured from bottle into an ale glass (I know). Transparent golden yellow beer with a short lived finer of foam. Good clean taste is above average for an american style lager. Nice mouthfeel with slight residual carbonation. Above average drinkability.

2.71/5  rDev -10%

Poured this into a pilsner glass, as it was all I had in the house at the moment.

A: A golden, straw-like colour. Looks like a standard lager. Less carbonation than I expected, however.

S: Smells quite good, actually. A little sweet, with a touch of hops at the end of the nose. I was surprised actually, considering it was shipped from Africa.

T: I'm not going to lie, I was a little disappointed. Maybe it was the green in the bottle, but I may have had something a little skunky. It was flat- the carbonation in the glass didn't transfer onto my palate. I was also thrown off- I couldn't taste any of the malt, and the hops were overpowering a in a lager.

M: Not pleasant to drink, but not unpleasant. I'd have a couple of these, but it would only be if I were planning on having some food with it.

O: Overall, I wasn't entirely impressed- but not turned off. This is actually the first African beer I've ever had, so I'm looking forward to exploring other flavours and styles.

2.75/5  rDev -8.6%

Aroma was grainy, biscuit, rice/corn, smells bland and very much like an adjunct lager. There was a very slight earthy hop character and it took on a slight tang as it warmed. It poured a pale golden color with a big white head and it had a body that surprised me, I was expecting water and got something light to medium with a moderate carbonation level. Taste was BORING! That blandness really carried through to the palate. Grainy, biscuit from the malt, subtle earthy hop, but mostly a whole lotta nothin. It's just not a good beer, if this is the style I'm going for I might as well be handed a Bud Light.

3.89/5  rDev +29.2%

A bottle purchased with dinner at the Phoenix Emporium in Ellicott City, Maryland. There was a Beer Menu on each table. I ordered this beer solely because I'd never had an African beer before and did not know it was a lager.

Appearance was exceptional: clear, pale straw color; and a moderate head that it retained much longer than expected.

Aroma was good: mild floral hops, and a malt character more pronounced than I've ever experienced in an American Premium Lager.

Taste was good: crisp, dry, a very low sweetness, and balanced.

Mouthfeel was good: a light-medium body and well-carbonated.

Drinkability was very good. I don't care for lagers, in general, but ordered a second because it was so smooth.

3.53/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This lager pours a nice clear birght yellow with a massive head that lefts it's mark as it was consumed. Fruity/Floral sweet smell with a little vienna malt aroma (probably not vienna but that is what it smells like). Heavier on the tongue that most lagers with a nice malt character to it. The hops are very well balanced with plenty of malt to back it up. A clean and tangy taste with a kind of dry aftertaste. A good example of the lager style.

4.01/5  rDev +33.2%

After reading the reviews I was kinda scared of this one but I persevered - Poured from 500 ml bottle into a pilsner glass - Color a clear gold with tight bubbles - Taste was full and clean and refreshing - Maybe the American Macro Lagers should be called African Macro Lagers

2.62/5  rDev -13%

A: Pours a pale straw color with one finger head. Shrinks to a thin film with nice lacing.

S: VERY clean...very little aroma to mention. Slight scent of grain with a barely detectable herbal hop note.

T: Crisp, cracker-like grain flavor. Very little malt character. There is virtually no hop flavor, although a slight herbal hop bitterness becomes present with the finish. Finishes dry. Overall, a little bland.

M & D: Light bodied with strong carbonation. The sensation on the palate is a little thin. Very drinkable, but there's not much complexity here to entice me to drink more than one or two. This beer definitely has two things going for it though - it's damn refreshing and not offensive in the least. I guess I was just hoping for a little more flavor and aroma.

2.48/5  rDev -17.6%

A - Pale yellow, about a half a finger of white head which disapeared in about 10 seconds with no lacing

S - Not really much to talk about. Was worried it was a little skunky even though the freshness date indicated it was very fresh.

T - OK, so no skunkiness, which is a relief. But honestly, not much taste at all. Very watery, like a watered down Miller Lite.

M - Like a sparkling water...some carbonation, that's about it.

D - I guess this is pretty drinkable. I could probably drink a whole case, although I don't know why I would. Maybe good for a hot summer day. Not a good beer by any stretch.

4.13/5  rDev +37.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I love Tusker!

I "discovered" this Kenyan lager at an Indian restaurant of all places, and I've been enjoying it ever since.

The smell, while minimal is actually quite nice, vaguely malty sweetness. Taste is great, slightly sweet and very refreshing, with a noticeable taste of sweet malts and honey (even smells of honey...a good thing in this case).

When poured into a glass (the only way I've ever enjoyed a Tusker...most beer is better this way), Tusker offers an abundant head that leaves a noticeable lacing. Mouthfeel is excellent, with a subtle carbonation that almost tickles the tongue, rather than overpower the beer.

The TUSKER I tried was the one brewed in TANZANIA! Beer drinkers say that it is better than the Kenyan original. It is a light beer with only 4.2% alc. good for a hot day in DAR. Taste and aroma are neutral. Good for thirst quenching but not for pleasure.

3.75/5  rDev +24.6%

This was good lager. I'd read a book, right on, some sort of Tom Clancy thing you read in an airport, in which the dudes were ordering Tuskers, so when I actually saw a six of it at my local specialty shop, I snapped it up and took it home. (I got some Tuborg once for the same reason, but this is about the Tusker).

Full-bodied, That's what I liked the most - this is not a thin, un-noticeable lager, and sort of like a wine, it has good "nose". It has some heft to it, but not so much that it fails to cut the dust, as a lager should do.

Given a selection of lagers from various areas that included this, I would definitely recommend Tusker as a solid choice.

Tusker Premium Lager from East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries)