Tusker Premium Lager - East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries)

Tusker Premium LagerTusker Premium Lager

East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries) visit their website
Kenya

American Adjunct Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-18-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 609 | Reviews: 352
3.08/5  rDev +2%

Best by 12 Jul 2012 (oh well, I'm twelve days late):

In a pilsener:

A: golden transparent body that leaves a large one finger white head and lingers for a good two minutes. There are some fast rising carbonated bubbles. Some foamy spiderwebbed lacing appears and slides down the glass.

S: all about the rice and the sweet corn. A bit of honey comes out.

T: rice and the corn again except its not as sweet as the smell.

M: light to medium, slightly watery, some carbonation felt on the tongue, sessionable

O: I'm glad I can say I've tried something from Africa, but probably won't seek this out again.

3.19/5  rDev +5.6%

12oz bottle (no date) poured into a Shaker pint glass.

Appearance: Crystal clear pale dirty straw color. Thin white head with some persistent strands of lacing noted. Remarkably colorless beer.

Smell: Crisp, grainy, a little bit of sweetness.

Taste: Sweet, crisp clean malt, hint of honey, earthy hop finish. Quite a simple flavor profile.

Mouthfeel: Watery with carbonation just south of fizzy.

Overall / Drinkability: Despite not being much to look, it's still a crisp and refreshing beer. I could easily have another. It's a simple and unassuming beer and it goes quite well with food to wash it down (fish tacos in my case). I suspect it would go quite well with highly spicy African food as well to counter the fire and heavy flavor from that type of food. Glad I tried it.

2.25/5  rDev -25.5%

I really liked the fact that they still re-use the bottles. Not crush, melt and make a new bottle like in the US. I didn't find this a very flavorful beer but what flavor it did have was nice. It is a decent beer for those hot summer nights. I wouldn't bother trying to save a lot of luggage space to bring some back, maybe a bottle or two.

3.14/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a head of pale white foam, leaves a film and good lacing. Colour is pale gold with a decent carbonation.

Aroma holds mostly malt, sour lager notes. Nothing particularly inspiring.

Taste initially holds a light citrusy, taste is quite refreshing. Not much other than thin malt flavours along with the carbonation, hops are fairly understated. A sort of mineral or grainy character towards the end. Drinkable without much body in the way of taste or aftertaste, but certainly better than the big macros. Finish is very dry.

I find the mouthfeel quite light, not excatly watery, slightly crisp.

Good on a hot day. Not offensive and pretty refreshing, but not terribly inspiring.

3.49/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

500 mL bottle from the LCBO; best before January 22 2013. I've sort of wanted to try this for a while simply because I've never had African beer, but by the time I came to it on the shelf I always already had a bunch of other Euro lagers I wanted to try in my basket - and the 3+ dollar price tag was also a slight turnoff. But I am a ticker with an itch, so I was bound to get this eventually.

Pours a familiar pale golden-yellow colour, completely clear and highly effervescent. Good, attractive head, especially for the style - big, puffy and pillowy, and it leaves behind lots of webby lacing on the glass as it gradually dies down over the next minute or two to a thin, even cap that remains for much of the drink. Looks really tasty - but the aroma isn't nearly as enticing, differing little from most of the other examples of this style. It is subdued, grainy, a little sweet, and wholly uninteresting. Decent for the style.

Relatively approachable taste. Lots of bready malts, some grainy sweetness with a bit of an adjunct twang. Given the style, I can't really fault it for that - it's not offputting but it's definitely a bit corny. There is a light brush of grassy hop dryness toward the end of the sip, but the aftertaste is mostly adjunct and malt sweetness. Acceptable balance, enough to maintain the inherent refreshing/crisp quality of the style, and certainly not cloying or unappealing. Light-bodied and watery, with relatively mild carbonation for a pale lager. I might have served this a bit too warm, but it's still enjoyable.

Final Grade: 3.5, a surprisingly solid B. I actually rather like Tusker Lager, and I may just get it again some time. It is a fine example of how even this comparatively bland style of beer can be enjoyable, and even charming in its simplicity when done correctly. No, it's nothing to write home about - but it is still a quality quaff, at least to me. Perfect for the patio.

[Updated April 12 2014]

Another bottle. I've been drinking pale yellow fizzy adjunct lagers for basically a decade now, and as with my original review I still feel Tusker is one of the better examples I've tried. The only issue? It's just too expensive to be worth it. If money were no object then this would be a staple in my summer beer fridge, but until then I probably won't bother frequently.

3.25/5  rDev +7.6%

3.45/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle
Served in a pint glass

A - It pours a pale yellow and is topped with a couple inches of creamy white head.

S - I get a sweet, caramel or toffee, smell. No hops to speak of.

T - I get that sweet toffee in the taste as well. Clean finish.

M - Thin

O - It's actually a lot better than I expected. It has some taste or it is mildly pleasing.

4.25/5  rDev +40.7%

2.25/5  rDev -25.5%

1.92/5  rDev -36.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Reviewed live. No best-by date visible.

A- Half a finger white head. Soapy looking with large, glassy bubbles. Fades quickly. Some spotty lacing. Crystal clear pale-golden color. Looks like a Budweiser.

S- Sour malts and soapiness. Actually surprisingly fruity and sour. Not sure if that is intentional or not. Light fruits and light lager smell.

T- Funky malts, gave me the goosebumps. Extremely watery taste, and what is beyond the water is some sour mash kind of maltiness. Definitely more flavorful than some American lagers, but not by much.

M- Carbonated water.

O- For as bad the score I'm giving it, it is actually fairly drinkable. It would be hard not to be considering it is so watery.

1.75/5  rDev -42.1%

1.95/5  rDev -35.4%

Water water water water water water!!! This is like drinking bud light, except produced in Kenya

I wouldnt drink it again unless i'm on a bowling alley and its 10 the pitcher

no flavor, No smell, no taste of anything but water with a faint carbonation.

People mention sweet water. I didnt taste no sweetness. Just water

2.88/5  rDev -4.6%

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a Chimay chalice.

A: Pours a clear golden hue with a very thin white head that quickly dissipates leaving no lace whatsoever.

S: Very faint nose here – mild grains and hops.

T: Slightly bitter and sweet lager. A little tart up front with some mild grain flavor and finishes a little dry.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: This was a pretty forgettable Lager. It was crisp and refreshing but nothing I would grab again. Although I am pretty sure this would be refreshing on a hot day in Africa.

2.86/5  rDev -5.3%

I don't think I've had many beers from the continent of Africa.

Pours a straw gold with a decent white head into my glass. It looks like a standard adjunct lager.

Sweet malt that is almost non-detectable. Not much else either to impress the nose.

Sweet, sweet, sweet. Inoffensive. It's just bland. There's more flavor in the American examples.

Watery. Sweet. Sweet water?

As much as I wanted to like this, I just don't dig it.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Tusker Premium Lager from East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries)