Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Tusker Premium Lager - East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries)

Tusker Premium LagerTusker Premium Lager

East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries) visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tusker Premium Lager Alström Bros
4.69/5  rDev +55.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tusker Lager has a thick, foamy head, a clear, bubbly, straw appearance, some suspended white particles floating throughout, a thick, foamy head, and a some minimal lacing left on the glass. The aroma is of full, sweet, bready, barley malt, and the taste is of the same, with some grass, mild hop bitterness, subdued sugar, and a bit of steamed vegetable. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Tusker Lager finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, drinkable, and wonderful. Overall, this is a definitive lager beer, and I rate it most excellent. Great stuff!

4.45/5  rDev +47.8%

500 ml bottle. Pours a clear pale yellow, with a white head that receded quickly, but leaves a little bit of lace on the glass. Aroma of lemon is evident. Highly carbonated, with a clean finish. Definetly a thirst quenching brew. I could sit and drink this all night! A real session beer.

4.29/5  rDev +42.5%

I remember I couldn't keep this beer on the shelf at Total Wine when I worked there. I enjoyed this beer a lot myself. Had it chilled in a pint glass. Poured a thick gold color. The smell was of creamy caramel. The taste was the same and I love that taste in general. A very drinkable beer for me because I can't get enough of the caramel taste. I could see enjoying this deep in the jungle on a safari. Good times.

4.17/5  rDev +38.5%

a gift from a friend - bought and drank in cambridge, ma, October 2009.

golden yellow typical color, clear, for some reason reminds me of kellerweiss color without the cloudiness. probably just me thinking of kellerweiss though.. mm. this beer had a decent 20-second head, but leaves minimal lacing.. lame.

smell is pretty good. don't notice any notable off-notes, smell of sweet malts and minimal else.. smells like sunshine on dewy grass, with a touch of earth.

tastes about what you would expect, but better. clean and slightly sweet, finishes clean but not overly dry, having just enough touch of earthy hop notes in the background to keep things balanced, just enough sweetness to not taste like water. no off flavors noticed here.

silky, just enough carbonation to give some spark on the tongue without dominating the brew

really tastes like a beer you don't even notice you're drinking. not necessarily what i usually look for in a beer, but I have to admit, it'd be easy to drink back these babies all night.

4.13/5  rDev +37.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I love Tusker!

I "discovered" this Kenyan lager at an Indian restaurant of all places, and I've been enjoying it ever since.

The smell, while minimal is actually quite nice, vaguely malty sweetness. Taste is great, slightly sweet and very refreshing, with a noticeable taste of sweet malts and honey (even smells of honey...a good thing in this case).

When poured into a glass (the only way I've ever enjoyed a Tusker...most beer is better this way), Tusker offers an abundant head that leaves a noticeable lacing. Mouthfeel is excellent, with a subtle carbonation that almost tickles the tongue, rather than overpower the beer.

4.11/5  rDev +36.5%

Pours a pale straw color with a decent head and heavy carbonation. Nothing really special about this, just a highly drinkable beer that went down almost too quickly. Almost as good as Chechvar, but with the carbonation of a San Miguel. A good choice for a session beer.

4.07/5  rDev +35.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. 11/10/08.

Pours a clear bright straw-yellow color with a finger of whitish head. The head quickly dropped to a thin layer. Aroma is sweet malt with almost a wheat-like character.

Taste is very malty with a slight honey-like sweetness. Faint herbal hops close out the taste. Feel is very crisp and clean. Well-carbonated and very dry finish. Drinkability is pretty darn good. Very easy to drink, very sessionable. Great for a hot summer day.

Overall a very good lager. Very crisp and easy to drink with a decent flavor.

4.05/5  rDev +34.6%

I would not move to Africa just to get this, but it is a very drinkable decent brew. Light honey color and sublime hoppiness. Clean rereshing taste but a bit middle of the road; then again the style of pale lager itself is middle of the road! I would drink it again but not go out of my way to do so!

4.03/5  rDev +33.9%

Picked this up for a buck and a half at my beer stop. For that price I figured what the hell.

Poured a pefectfly crystal clear light yellow with a finger of white frothy head. Head retention isn't great and lacing is minimal. This is hands down the clearest gold beer I've ever seen.

Smells of fresh water and sweet fruit. Mild malt.

Taste is very mild. Refreshing water with light malt, a bit of corn and weak hop, and a tad hint of saltiness finishes it off. The taste isn't strong by any means, and it doesn't stick with you.

Mouthfeel is light bodied, exceptionally fresh and clean, carbonation might be a bit low but it balances perfectly.

Drinkability is great. I'm really kicking myself for not getting a 6 pack of this, especially when I though to myself..this is gona suck. Awesome light beer, give it a try, fantastic with salad.

4.03/5  rDev +33.9%

Now, I will start by saying that I fell in love with this beer before first taste. I try to read the labels of every beer I drink, and I HAD to when I saw this was a beer from Kenya. Any beer named after the elephant that killed one of the founders of the brewery.

I did not have very high hopes for this, since to my (limited) knowledge, Kenya isn't known for beer, but I went ahead and gave it a try.

Anyways, it has a light golden brown color to it. The smell isn't very strong, so no real comment for this.

This is a great summer beer as the taste is nice and crisp. It has a slight bitterness to it, but it is very inoffensive and easy to drink. The slight bitterness lingers for a bit of an after-taste, but I enjoy that. I like a beer to have some flavor as so many do not.

I learned a big lesson in not making assumptions as to where a beer is brewed. I will definitely try beers from other places that you don't think of typically for their beers.

4.01/5  rDev +33.2%

Came upon this again out of the blue. Fond memories of Somalia. Could not remember if it was the taste or the fact that I had not had a beer in months. 20 years later I found out. I enjoyed it for not only ability to have a beer but also a very good tasting beer.

4.01/5  rDev +33.2%

After reading the reviews I was kinda scared of this one but I persevered - Poured from 500 ml bottle into a pilsner glass - Color a clear gold with tight bubbles - Taste was full and clean and refreshing - Maybe the American Macro Lagers should be called African Macro Lagers

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12/16/04- Purchased at Bevmo in San Mateo, CA

Appearance- Medium golden yellow pour with a huge billowing head and light lacing at best.

Smell- Very light smell. If anything scents of malt.

Taste- Very crisp and clean malt taste. Maybe a touch of hop, but hard to tell. A bit grainy and grassy, but very quenching.

Mouthfeel- Great carbonation level and a bit of a full mouthfeel.

Drinkability- This one did the trick. It both quenched my thirst and tasted good at the same time. Recommended

3.97/5  rDev +31.9%

500ml bottle poured into pint glass dec14 2009

A clear straw yellow with a thumbs width of bone white head that fell quickly and left a few patches of lace

S grassy lemon and floral hops with just a little malt

T as it smells with a little biscuit

M clean and crisp with just enough carbonation to please

D even on this cold winter day it's pretty good

a good lager when all is said and done, not what I expect from Kenya

3.95/5  rDev +31.2%

Bottle Inspection: 500 ml brown bottle, neck label claims Kenya’s Heritage since 1922. Label has 4.2 v/v and GRAV: 1037-1039, imported by St. Killian importing co., Inc., Kingston, MA.

Aroma: A faint floral note with some mild grainy sweetness. A odd whiff of dried bubblegum.

Appearance: Slightest haze in a bright yellow glass that sports an impressive white head the lasts and gives very respectable lacing.

Flavor: Matches the aroma, a clean, slightly grainy base with that same light floral note. Well balanced with a slight hop flavor at the tail end.

Mouthfeel: Light medium body, full carbonation, drying finish.

Overall Impression: I’m impressed! I really didn’t expect much from this beer, but there is nothing wrong here. Well crafted, mild but pleasing taste, it’s not going to scratch a craft beer itch, but it could make a fine hot summer afternoon session.
Give it a shot!

3.89/5  rDev +29.2%

A bottle purchased with dinner at the Phoenix Emporium in Ellicott City, Maryland. There was a Beer Menu on each table. I ordered this beer solely because I'd never had an African beer before and did not know it was a lager.

Appearance was exceptional: clear, pale straw color; and a moderate head that it retained much longer than expected.

Aroma was good: mild floral hops, and a malt character more pronounced than I've ever experienced in an American Premium Lager.

Taste was good: crisp, dry, a very low sweetness, and balanced.

Mouthfeel was good: a light-medium body and well-carbonated.

Drinkability was very good. I don't care for lagers, in general, but ordered a second because it was so smooth.

3.88/5  rDev +28.9%

To E. Hemingway - African hunter and American novelist and short-story writer, awarded 1954 Nobel Prize for Literature, 1899-1961!

"There is no friend as loyal as beer" ( or was it "a book"?)

Pours clear straw 2°SRM with a creamy white head that holds and leaves substancial lace on the 0.4L rastal sniffer.

"The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure that it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry."

A very good aroma of grainy sweet malt that almost kills a more gentle grassy and floral hops.

"Don't you drink? I notice you speak slightingly of the bottle."
0.5 L brown bottle with foil neck and front label in attractive gold and black with bull elephant profiled to show tusks. Simple white govt warning back label.

"I have drunk since I was fifteen and few things have given me more pleasure. When you work hard all day with your head and know you must work again the next day what else can change your ideas and make them run on a different plane like whisky? When you are cold and wet what else can warm you? Before an attack who can say anything that gives you the momentary well-being that rum does? The only time it isn't good for you is when you write or when you fight. You have to do that cold. But it always helps my shooting. Modern life, too, is often a mechanical oppression and liquor is the only mechanical relief."

4.2% abv ( Stronger in Africa) respect alcohol.

"Live life to the fullest."

Lighter body is supported carbonation and lightly dextrinous malt and balanced by understated bitterness.

"The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it. "

Tusker finishes short and sweet, just vanishing leaves you hoping for more - light and refreshing.

best by November 2005

I have no doubt that Hemingway found this the most drinkable beer on the Dark Continent.

"In order to write about life, first you must live it!"

Review when called to but first you must drink beer.

3.88/5  rDev +28.9%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance is a slightly hazy light straw with a smallish head but excellent lacing.

Smells slightly sweet with slight corny notes along with some hay and grass. Also a bit of lemon.

Taste is light bready grain along with A light grassyness from the hops. Also some light lemony citrus flavors. There is a moderate bitterness throughout leading to a nice dry finish.

This is quite an enjoyable beer and very good for the style. Definitely a thirst quencher perfect for a hot day.

3.87/5  rDev +28.6%

A - Clear and extremely pale. Thin head, but fairly substantial looking for a macro.

S - Sweet malt and notes of apple and grain.

T - Inoffensive. Nothing off, with a strong grainy taste. Bitterness is low, as expected, with a teeny weeny bit of aftertaste. Crisp, refreshing, sweet-ish.

M - Hurts a bit. Carbonation is too strong.

D - Not too bad at all. Can't say it's flavourful, but within the style, it's really quite good.

3.85/5  rDev +27.9%

A: A classic golden yellow. A medium pour produces 1/2 inch of coarse white head that quickly fades to near nothing. Average.

S: Actually pretty good. Some biscuitty maltiness with grassy notes and some metallic features. Butter husk too.

T: Hmmmm..I'm actually impressed. There is quite a bit here. Some refined malty grassy notes with just a hint of metallica. Hops kick in with a creamy finish coming in at the end. Above average in complexity and very well balanced.

M: A medium body that goes light due to some dryness. CO2 is a little too high in my opinion.

D: An excellent, drinkable, refreshing beer. Cheers.

3.85/5  rDev +27.9%

Surprise present from my dad. I saw that it was a Kenyan lager and I almost didn't even want to try it. Being the ticker that I am, I gave it a shot, and this is exactly why we don't judge a beer by its location...Appearance nothing to note...Aroma is light and sweet, corn, but you'd expect tons of skunk and none is present...The aroma is light and sweet, not at all a typical lager. This isn't a great beer but it exceeds expectations for a lager and a Kenyan beer.

3.83/5  rDev +27.2%

Pours very clear pale yellow with small head. Smell is not very strong, grassy and sweet malts. Pretty normal lager smell. Clean taste, average sweetness. Very crisp and light, pretty pleasant. Very drinkable. Very refreshing. Good lager, I'm glad I tryed it and would have it again.

3.82/5  rDev +26.9%

12 oz bottle into Barilla spaghetti sauce jar.

A: Huge fizzy white head a whole hand high. This floats atop a slightly hazy pale straw yellow body. Head

S: The smell before i took a sip was kind of apple cider vinegar smelling. After I took a sip it was a more sour bit of lemon smell. Maybe a bit floral with a bit of honey and pollen.

T: Mild malt. Very mild hop bitterness and dryness. Very refreshing. Maybe a bit like chewing oh a fresh hay stalk. Green and good.

M: Rather watery but coats and refreshes the mouth then leaves it dry. Perfect for a Macro style.

D: A one. This beer is different than any other macro lager that I've had. Refreshing and Fresh. My first African beer and a yummy first at that.

3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

Poured from a brown bottle into a weizen glass. Has a rich, gold color with 1 inch head. There is a light, sweet aroma. Taste is very flavorfull. Starts a little grainy and finishes sweet. Medium bodied in the mouth. This beer is very drinkable and quite delicious. I really enjoyed this beer.

3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

An interesting beer. Gold and clear in the glass. Lots of carbination. Sweet caramel nose. When drunk suble malt and caramel flavour with a subtle hop finish. Not too dry.Decent mouthfeel.
Foamy head.Not too bad to have on occasion. Not a beer that grows on you quickly.

Tusker Premium Lager from East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries)