Tusker Premium Lager - East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries)

Tusker Premium LagerTusker Premium Lager

rAvg: 3
East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries) visit their website
Kenya

American Adjunct Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tusker Premium Lager Alström Bros
firstprev| 301-325 | 326-350 | 351-375  | next → last
1.68/5  rDev -44%

A: Pale yellow. Rolling active carbonation. Descent white bubbly head with slightly above average.

S/T: I can not get over how much this beer smells and tastes like buttered popcorn. I think this is diacetyl in the beer. I am not sure if this is intended but it is not disguised by any amount of malt or hop character. If you read the back of this bottle, you might be expecting a traditional lager in the German style and this stuff makes Bud taste better.

M: Light, crisp, highly carbonated. Spot on for the macro style.

D: I hope to try more beers from the African continent. I am certain there are better beers than this for the people to enjoy. (652 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -45.7%

The flight attendant from Bill Clinton's plane gave this to my friend wh is a baggage handler at YVR.

A-Not quite sure. It was kinda yellow pee colour. Drank it out of the can.

S-This beer smells pretty much like Bud. Kind of grainy in aroma. I couldn't detect any hop aroma.

T-I almost gagged when this touched my tongue. To me, it was worse than Budweiser or Molson Canadian. Tasted pretty much like it smelled. Grainy and wattery. Very little bitterness.

M-Very fizzy. Pretty much a fizzy piss beer if I've ever tasted one.

D-I don't think I have to say I struggled to finish this. It was so god aweful that it warmed up to room temp before I was able to choke it down. The can lasted me about 2 hours. Just gross.

Overall-I really hope Bill Clinton has better taste in beer than this. Perhaps I had a bad batch but I am not going to be buying it anytime soon to find out. Everyone who had one at the party just thought it was gross. (954 characters)

1.45/5  rDev -51.7%

Poured from bottle into lager glass, served around 45 degrees.

Poured very pale yellow w/ limited head. Aroma was spice, pine and a bit skunky. Taste had citrus, ginger, & alcohol notes. Mouthfeel was very thin and watery, typical of the style. Drinkability is limited, maybe on hot day someone might enjoy one.

Overall a bad beer. It's balanced but just has a lack of overall quality. NOT recommended. (404 characters)

1.45/5  rDev -51.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

12 oz. brown bottle will a small oval label of an elephant in front of a yellow back drop. Along with all the mandatory US information, the back label has 2 seperate paragraphs. The first one talks about why this beer is named Tusker. It's named after the elephant that killed one of the brewery's owners. How morbid! The second one talks about where all the ingredients came from. The neck label has a manufactured date and a best before date. Mine was made on 31 Jan 08 and has a best before date of 31 Jan 09.

When poured into a Stoudt's pint glass, this African beer was a clear and I mean clear pale lemon yellow. It was so pale that it almost looked white in color. The head of foam was a bunch of white fizzy bubbles that quickly fizzled away into a handful of white fizzy rings and one big blot of fizzy bubbles on top. There was no trace of lace anywhere.

The aroma was strong, but it was strong with malted corn, malted rice, a hint of apple juice, and a pinch of stale bitter hops. It was an insult to my sense of smell. I'm glad that it didn't smell like a skunk.

Taste? I wish! The taste was all carbonation with sweet malted corn, malted rice, spring water, and a tiny touch of bitter floral hops.If there was any malt in here, the malted grains quickly covered it up. Like in the aroma, I'glad there was any skunk in here.

The mouthfeel was light with a watery aftertaste of spring water and malted rice. I'm glad that this aftertaste didn't stick around. How could it? It was just water with a little grain taste added to it.

I surely hope that not all African beers taste like this one? It was just a cheap watery beer with a small taste of malted grains. That's all folks for this beer. If you find $2 on the street and you want to buy a beer with it, then you might want to buy it. (1,805 characters)

1.36/5  rDev -54.7%

This beer poured a transparent yellow with a foamy white head.

It smelled like butter and corn. It was rather pungent and off putting.

The taste wasn't quite as bad as the smell however it was still pretty bad. It tasted of corn and was pretty sweet.

In the mouth it felt sloppy not crisp at all like a larger should be.

Overall this was a terrible larger, it was undrinkable and the smell was truely awful. Worst beer I've ever had. (437 characters)

1.33/5  rDev -55.7%

Reviewed on 7/26/08. Bottle. Pours a light yellow with a white head. Aroma of light fruits, wheat. Flavor of stale wheat. A slightly (very slightly) better version of Heineken. Blech.
Aroma: 3/10
Appearance: 2/5
Flavor: 2/5
Palate: 1/5
Overall: 5/20
1.3/5 (255 characters)

1.24/5  rDev -58.7%

Decent start to the head--leaves some spotty lace. Clear, almost like water. Pale yellow color.

Okay, the smell reminds me of pancakes--no syrup, no berries, just plain ordinary pancakes. There's a slight skunkiness to the beer. Slightly sweet, lots of corn. Bland.

So, the blandness continues in the taste. Is it Bud, is it Miller? It could be. Thin bodied and highly carbonated. Where's the hop? The brewer must have waved it over the kettle without letting fall in. If you like corn in your beer, this should serve you well. (529 characters)

firstprev| 301-325 | 326-350 | 351-375  | next → last
Tusker Premium Lager from East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries)