Tusker Premium Lager - East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries)

Tusker Premium LagerTusker Premium Lager

East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries) visit their website
Kenya

American Adjunct Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-18-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 608 | Reviews: 352

Tusker Premium Lager pours a golden yellow with a thin white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. The aroma is sweet and grainy. I can taste a fair amount of malt and lots of grain, there's not much more to it. Very light bodied. This is a decent enough lager, worth a try.

500ml bottle served in a pilsen glass.

A: Pours an absolutely clear pale yellow color forming a medium fluffy and bubbled white head. Medium retention and lots of lacings left in the glass

S: Strong sweet malts in the nose. Very bready and biscuity. Notes of adjunct malts, mainly rice. Light notes of flowery hops

T: Follows the nose. Strong notes of sweet malts. Quite biscuity and crispy. Again, some notes of adjunct malts. Light hops bitterness in the end

M: Very light body and medium carbonation. Crispy malty aftertaste

O: Drinkable and not that bad for an Adjunct Lager

A: This beer pours a nice golden color with a head that laces the glass

S: A corn smell with some grainy edge to it

T: Taste of some sweet malt with a hint of corn

M: This beer has some carbonization and goes down smooth

D: This is a beer that I will drink again. It is a good African beer

2.98/5  rDev -1.3%

A - Poured a very light pale golden yellow. A large, billowing four inch head of fizzy white foam formed initially on the top and stayed or all of a few minutes. It rested down to just a thin layer covering the top of an otherwise uninspiring looking liquid. Lots of carbonation could be seen streaming up from the top of the glass. No side glass lace was present what so ever, overall this looked to me to be nothing more then the average macro lager.

S - Aroma was light to say the least. Not much here really to pick up on, in fact it was hardly there at all. What I found was a light blend of grain and almost corn or maybe rice that was just strong enough to be picked up. A touch of some grass maybe as well, and a bit of a bready thing, but nothing really too special. Kind of musty in the overall aroma.

T - Ehh, I knew where this one was going already. Shall I say best served very cold? This was just another imported macro and I should have saw that one coming. What flavor was there was light grain and corm, mixed in with a touch of fresh grass, just enough to try and give it some semblance of a flavor. For some reason I kept picking up rice notes in here, not really sure as to why. But the flavor either way way very light and rather bland. Towards the end I started to pick up the slightest amount of some bready malt and possibly the smallest hint of some cereal grain, but again nothing standing out to me.

M - Very very light. To its credit this was very light and refreshing, something that is rather common with the style, and I was outside and it was hot, so this one served its purpose very well at the time. Now other then that I really do not have much else to say. Very light with very little body of presence to it. Just a forgettable lager.

D - Superb when it is hot outside and this is cold. Now reverse those to and it might cause you some trouble. This was actually not that bad at all drinking wise when it was first poured; the only problem was when it started to warm up and just fell flat. Cannot let these things get warm and I know better then that, learned my lesson on this one.

Overall I tried it because it was unique compared to what else was there, however it was really not that special at all. I am glad I chose it over the BMC making up the majority of the rest of the choices however it was of the same vain. I suppose you could do much worse in a selection; however this was really not that great. I would have it again if it was ice cold and I was thirsty and did not have to pay for it, but either then that I will find one from somewhere else.

2.98/5  rDev -1.3%

Moderate skunkyness in the nose, despite being packaged in a (light) brown bottle. I noted that Pegasus rated this beer not too long ago, and the packaging was much different. His was a green long-neck, and mine was a brown bomber. Poured up with the whitest head I think I've seen yet.

Some of the skunk carried in the taste, which overall was quite light, bordering on thin. Some mild grassy notes, and what I perceived as a distinct grape flavor, which I sometimes get with some Canadian brewed lagers. Although not too impressive, it was pleasant drinking.

I did note with some curiosity that the bottle had a "best before" notch date which was 9 months later than my purchase. I doubt this beer made it from Kenya to Kentucky in a big hurry, which makes me wonder if the brewer promotes a one-year shelf-life. I've always assumed a six-month shelf life was pretty standard for non-bottle conditioned beer, and I can't imagine a one-year shelf life for a light lager like this one.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Tusker Premium Lager from East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries)