Tusker Premium Lager - East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries)

Tusker Premium LagerTusker Premium Lager

East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries) visit their website
Kenya

American Adjunct Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-18-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tusker Premium Lager Alström Bros

rolltide8425, Jul 13, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -25.5%

sd123, Jul 09, 2012

I really liked the fact that they still re-use the bottles. Not crush, melt and make a new bottle like in the US. I didn't find this a very flavorful beer but what flavor it did have was nice. It is a decent beer for those hot summer nights. I wouldn't bother trying to save a lot of luggage space to bring some back, maybe a bottle or two.

ChuckNorris, Jul 07, 2012
3.2/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a head of pale white foam, leaves a film and good lacing. Colour is pale gold with a decent carbonation.

Aroma holds mostly malt, sour lager notes. Nothing particularly inspiring.

Taste initially holds a light citrusy, taste is quite refreshing. Not much other than thin malt flavours along with the carbonation, hops are fairly understated. A sort of mineral or grainy character towards the end. Drinkable without much body in the way of taste or aftertaste, but certainly better than the big macros. Finish is very dry.

I find the mouthfeel quite light, not excatly watery, slightly crisp.

Good on a hot day. Not offensive and pretty refreshing, but not terribly inspiring.

mick303, Jul 03, 2012

Chrisheartsbeer, Jun 14, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

500 mL bottle from the LCBO; best before January 22 2013. I've sort of wanted to try this for a while simply because I've never had African beer, but by the time I came to it on the shelf I always already had a bunch of other Euro lagers I wanted to try in my basket - and the 3+ dollar price tag was also a slight turnoff. But I am a ticker with an itch, so I was bound to get this eventually.

Pours a familiar pale golden-yellow colour, completely clear and highly effervescent. Good, attractive head, especially for the style - big, puffy and pillowy, and it leaves behind lots of webby lacing on the glass as it gradually dies down over the next minute or two to a thin, even cap that remains for much of the drink. Looks really tasty - but the aroma isn't nearly as enticing, differing little from most of the other examples of this style. It is subdued, grainy, a little sweet, and wholly uninteresting. Decent for the style.

Relatively approachable taste. Lots of bready malts, some grainy sweetness with a bit of an adjunct twang. Given the style, I can't really fault it for that - it's not offputting but it's definitely a bit corny. There is a light brush of grassy hop dryness toward the end of the sip, but the aftertaste is mostly adjunct and malt sweetness. Acceptable balance, enough to maintain the inherent refreshing/crisp quality of the style, and certainly not cloying or unappealing. Light-bodied and watery, with relatively mild carbonation for a pale lager. I might have served this a bit too warm, but it's still enjoyable.

Final Grade: 3.5, a surprisingly solid B. I actually rather like Tusker Lager, and I may just get it again some time. It is a fine example of how even this comparatively bland style of beer can be enjoyable, and even charming in its simplicity when done correctly. No, it's nothing to write home about - but it is still a quality quaff, at least to me. Perfect for the patio.

[Updated April 12 2014]

Another bottle. I've been drinking pale yellow fizzy adjunct lagers for basically a decade now, and as with my original review I still feel Tusker is one of the better examples I've tried. The only issue? It's just too expensive to be worth it. If money were no object then this would be a staple in my summer beer fridge, but until then I probably won't bother frequently.

thehyperduck, Jun 14, 2012
3.25/5  rDev +7.6%

dlin0sbb, Jun 12, 2012

TrickkyGangsta, Jun 03, 2012

DustinPurvis, May 24, 2012
3.45/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle
Served in a pint glass

A - It pours a pale yellow and is topped with a couple inches of creamy white head.

S - I get a sweet, caramel or toffee, smell. No hops to speak of.

T - I get that sweet toffee in the taste as well. Clean finish.

M - Thin

O - It's actually a lot better than I expected. It has some taste or it is mildly pleasing.

buschbeer, May 13, 2012

2.25/5  rDev -25.5%

Ivanhoes_Backpack, Mar 30, 2012

redleg411, Mar 28, 2012
1.93/5  rDev -36.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Reviewed live. No best-by date visible.

A- Half a finger white head. Soapy looking with large, glassy bubbles. Fades quickly. Some spotty lacing. Crystal clear pale-golden color. Looks like a Budweiser.

S- Sour malts and soapiness. Actually surprisingly fruity and sour. Not sure if that is intentional or not. Light fruits and light lager smell.

T- Funky malts, gave me the goosebumps. Extremely watery taste, and what is beyond the water is some sour mash kind of maltiness. Definitely more flavorful than some American lagers, but not by much.

M- Carbonated water.

O- For as bad the score I'm giving it, it is actually fairly drinkable. It would be hard not to be considering it is so watery.

Murrhey, Mar 28, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -42.1%

Hewsinator, Mar 26, 2012
1.9/5  rDev -37.1%

Water water water water water water!!! This is like drinking bud light, except produced in Kenya

I wouldnt drink it again unless i'm on a bowling alley and its 10 the pitcher

no flavor, No smell, no taste of anything but water with a faint carbonation.

People mention sweet water. I didnt taste no sweetness. Just water

Tastybeer007, Mar 03, 2012

RoryOMoore, Feb 27, 2012
2.9/5  rDev -4%

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a Chimay chalice.

A: Pours a clear golden hue with a very thin white head that quickly dissipates leaving no lace whatsoever.

S: Very faint nose here – mild grains and hops.

T: Slightly bitter and sweet lager. A little tart up front with some mild grain flavor and finishes a little dry.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: This was a pretty forgettable Lager. It was crisp and refreshing but nothing I would grab again. Although I am pretty sure this would be refreshing on a hot day in Africa.

ckollias, Feb 27, 2012
2.83/5  rDev -6.3%

I don't think I've had many beers from the continent of Africa.

Pours a straw gold with a decent white head into my glass. It looks like a standard adjunct lager.

Sweet malt that is almost non-detectable. Not much else either to impress the nose.

Sweet, sweet, sweet. Inoffensive. It's just bland. There's more flavor in the American examples.

Watery. Sweet. Sweet water?

As much as I wanted to like this, I just don't dig it.

Brad007, Feb 22, 2012

chasesitten, Feb 21, 2012
1.38/5  rDev -54.3%

This beer poured a transparent yellow with a foamy white head.

It smelled like butter and corn. It was rather pungent and off putting.

The taste wasn't quite as bad as the smell however it was still pretty bad. It tasted of corn and was pretty sweet.

In the mouth it felt sloppy not crisp at all like a larger should be.

Overall this was a terrible larger, it was undrinkable and the smell was truely awful. Worst beer I've ever had.

Dave1999, Feb 19, 2012
Tusker Premium Lager from East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries)