Tusker Premium Lager - East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries)

Tusker Premium LagerTusker Premium Lager

East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries) visit their website
Kenya

American Adjunct Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-18-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tusker Premium Lager Alström Bros
2.75/5  rDev -8.9%

2.75/5  rDev -8.9%

3.25/5  rDev +7.6%

3.28/5  rDev +8.6%

3.2/5  rDev +6%

2.38/5  rDev -21.2%

Ordered a bottle of this at a restaurant. I poured the bottle into a pint glass. No head to speak of and no lacing. The color is very light. Sitting next to my glass of water, I could barely tell the difference between the two. The aroma is subdued to say the least. There is a slight hint of hops and malt and I really had to take a few deep sniffs to register the aroma. The taste is much the same...very mild on hops and grain, with a bit of a funky aftertaste. The mouthfeel is dry and bubbly. Overall, a rather underwhelming beer that barely registered on my senses. I think the bottle with the elephant logo was the coolest part of this beer.

2.95/5  rDev -2.3%

12oz bottle date stamped mfg 31 Jan 08 exp 31 Jan 09. Maybe I'm a little late on this bottle? Poured into a tall clear glass - proud puffy multi-finger head. Extremely pale yellow color. Light aroma of hops and barley. Very watery with little carbonation, very simple tasting character - not much flavor or taste, just basic thirst quenching stuff. Very innocuous brew that could probably fit in very well with other TV beers (I'd rather drink Tusker than those any day.) Very simple stuff here - try it for the novelty but not much else.

2.17/5  rDev -28.1%

A very light golden color with a white one finger head of relatively thin foam. Beer was fairly carbonated. Aroma was light: grass and a hint of hops if you strained hard enough. Taste was thin, watery and carbonated, a hint of biting hops. I'd say slightly better than a normal macro....

4.18/5  rDev +38.4%

a gift from a friend - bought and drank in cambridge, ma, October 2009.

golden yellow typical color, clear, for some reason reminds me of kellerweiss color without the cloudiness. probably just me thinking of kellerweiss though.. mm. this beer had a decent 20-second head, but leaves minimal lacing.. lame.

smell is pretty good. don't notice any notable off-notes, smell of sweet malts and minimal else.. smells like sunshine on dewy grass, with a touch of earth.

tastes about what you would expect, but better. clean and slightly sweet, finishes clean but not overly dry, having just enough touch of earthy hop notes in the background to keep things balanced, just enough sweetness to not taste like water. no off flavors noticed here.

silky, just enough carbonation to give some spark on the tongue without dominating the brew

really tastes like a beer you don't even notice you're drinking. not necessarily what i usually look for in a beer, but I have to admit, it'd be easy to drink back these babies all night.

4.1/5  rDev +35.8%

Now, I will start by saying that I fell in love with this beer before first taste. I try to read the labels of every beer I drink, and I HAD to when I saw this was a beer from Kenya. Any beer named after the elephant that killed one of the founders of the brewery.

I did not have very high hopes for this, since to my (limited) knowledge, Kenya isn't known for beer, but I went ahead and gave it a try.

Anyways, it has a light golden brown color to it. The smell isn't very strong, so no real comment for this.

This is a great summer beer as the taste is nice and crisp. It has a slight bitterness to it, but it is very inoffensive and easy to drink. The slight bitterness lingers for a bit of an after-taste, but I enjoy that. I like a beer to have some flavor as so many do not.

I learned a big lesson in not making assumptions as to where a beer is brewed. I will definitely try beers from other places that you don't think of typically for their beers.

3.75/5  rDev +24.2%

Not bad for a Lager! If you see this one give it a shot! its pretty damn good!
Found this at my favorite sofa bar and loved it! It pours well with a good amount of head. This Kenyan lager blows most American Lagers away! It is crisp, and refreshing everything a Lager should be! If you see this one in your local beer store give it a shot!

3.25/5  rDev +7.6%

3.5/5  rDev +15.9%

2.25/5  rDev -25.5%

3.83/5  rDev +26.8%

An interesting beer. Gold and clear in the glass. Lots of carbination. Sweet caramel nose. When drunk suble malt and caramel flavour with a subtle hop finish. Not too dry.Decent mouthfeel.
Foamy head.Not too bad to have on occasion. Not a beer that grows on you quickly.

A: This beer pours a nice golden color with a head that laces the glass

S: A corn smell with some grainy edge to it

T: Taste of some sweet malt with a hint of corn

M: This beer has some carbonization and goes down smooth

D: This is a beer that I will drink again. It is a good African beer

Driven solely by curiosity, Bucky nervously picked up a bottle of Tusker Finest Quality Lager ("Tusker") brewed by the East African Breweries Group of Kenya. Tusker came in a brown, 500 ml bottle with a best before date of October 6, 2013 printed on the reverse label, and was 4.2% alcohol by volume. According to the brewer's web site, Tusker has been brewed in East Africa since 1922 and is named after the elephant that killed George Hurst, one of the brewery's founders. The brewery is located in Ruaraka, near the capital of Nairobi, and key brands include Tusker Lager (the flagship brand), Tusker Malt Lager, Pilsner, White Cap, White Cap Light, Senator, Guinness, Allsopps and President Lager.

Tusker poured a very clear yellow/gold colour with plenty of rising bubbles visible. Pouring produced about 1.5" of pure white head that lasted for several minutes, leaving a considerable amount of lacing all down the far side of the glass. Its aroma is quite simple, bready light malts and not much of anything else. The beer's flavour begins with a fleeting light malt sweetness and finishes with a very, very subtle hop bitterness and no aftertaste. Despite the quantity of visible bubbles I found the carbonation to be quite light, and I would describe the mouthfeel as light and watery. I guess this makes sense...if I was living in an African climate I probably wouldn't be looking for a hefty porter or stout. The good news...my first African beer was drinkable. The not so good...I found Tusker to be too light in aroma, flavour and body for my particular taste. Though it wasn't a bad beer, I doubt that I'll be buying this one again. Tusker was selling for $3.35 per 500 ml bottle at the time or writing.

2.05/5  rDev -32.1%

Pale, straw beer, chill hazy with heavy lacy head.

Smell of malt and buttered corn. Not much else.

Unique butter diacetyl and corn sweetness upfront, almost like a butterscotch. Faintly perceptible hop character, with almost enough bitterness to cut the malt sweetness, leaving a slight "cloy" on the palate.

Thin, with a very fizzy character.

Reminds me of Red Stripe with the heavy "sweet buttered corn" flavor, but not as good.

2.28/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I was drawn to this beer mostly, because I wanted to try an African-style beverage, but my hopes for this beer were quickly dashed. This beer is rather metallic in taste and has an overall sloppy feeling on the palate. This is definitely a beer that you can cross off your list, but probably not worth going back for.

2.14/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

This beer pours light golden, with light head, and had average carbonation. It has little to no aroma, its has the tastes of fruits, hops, vegetables, and goes down fairly easy. It finishes dirty, leaves the mouth dry, and is no better than the average domestic pale lager.

4.5/5  rDev +49%

Tusker Premium Lager from East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries)