Tusker Premium Lager - East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries)

Tusker Premium LagerTusker Premium Lager

East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries) visit their website
Kenya

American Adjunct Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-18-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 608 | Reviews: 352
3.45/5  rDev +14.2%

A- pale golden straw colow with a big fluffy white head. head fades to a top film but never fully goes away. no lacing.

S- yeast, fruit, malt, grain.

T- nice yeast flavor with strong grainy finish. very light hop presence.

M- light and watery. little carbonation

D- if you stuck to this all night you would be fine...

overall- really not a bad beer. MUCH better then other macros such as bud/miller and the like. went great with the burger with the first bottle. very refreshing and the taste seems to grow on you the more you drink. worth a taste in my book.

2.78/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I had a sample of this beer at the Edmonton international beerfest having never had an African beer before. Basically, this beer is meant to hydrate - it`s got pretty weak flavour, but what it does have is resembles a good beer - not some garbage adjunct lager. It goes down extremely easy, which I suppose makes it easy to become intoxicated off of, but this beer is pretty expensive for one bottle, so that probably isn`t the most practical use.

The colour is very pale yellow like a light lager would be, but it tastes better than one. It`s not super flavourful, but not unflavourful too - it`s really weird.

I likely wont buy a bottle of this again, but it was basically what I expected would come out of a hot place like Kenya - a refreshing and not intensely flavoured lager, but pleasantly not full of adjuncts. Nice work at making a good adjunct lager - where the adjuncts are not the first thing you notice.

3.34/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Sweet edge that does not become pervasive. Citric fruitiness as an underlying flavor that adds a nice character that differentiates Tusker from other lagers. Nothing standout, but enjoyable.

2.16/5  rDev -28.5%

A: Looks extremely pale, poured almost looking like water. Head faded quickly, with some lacing.

S: Sweet smell, little beyond the malts.

T: Eh, tastes like a better version of Budlight. Nothing great at all, pretty big strike to me.

M: Very thin, no real substance to it.

D: About as drinkable, as a Budlight. I hope i can finish it.

Overall: I am not a big fan of these "Pale Lagers" and maybe that' because the only ones I drink are the Macro brews. So if there are some good Pale Lagers out there, then I am just not aware of them. But this beer is a slightly better version that any of the main Macro brews. If you only like macro brews, then you can drink this to make yourself look cultured.

2.53/5  rDev -16.2%

Golden yellow with a white bubbly head. Metalic canned vegetable skunk smell. Not great. Clean dry grainy taste. A fair amoutnt of bitterness with light carbonation. Not much from the malts. More of a hard metalic grain than anything. Some skunk in the aftertaste that reminded me of Red Stripe. Light crisp bubbly mouthfeel. I wouldn't recomend going out of your way for this. Not the worst thing ever, but the flavors just aren't very good. This would probably be one that grows on you. I'm sure the fifth one would be much better than the first.

3.45/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a nice pale straw color with an ample white head that shrinks to a layer but leaves a bit of lacing. Smells of grains and a little bit of syrupy sweetness that is kind of inviting.

This is a sticky sweet lager with flavors of grain covered up by sugar and has what seems to be a subdued sugary fruit aftertaste -- something like a fruit roll up. Nothing offensive about the taste, and it's actually quite addicting. Considering the low abv I would have expected this to be very thin, but the sugar seems to beef it up a bit. This is unexpectedly balanced, and I would place it somewhere in the malt liquor category. Somehow I could see this coming in a 40.

3.6/5  rDev +19.2%

--Beer poured a nice clear, straw like color. Nice head that diminished fairly quickly.
--This was my first try of a beer from Kenya so I was pretty pumped. Like all Beer Advocates it is fun to try a beer you have never tried before but even better to try a country you have never tried. I was very impressed with this beer. It was fairly mainstream and nothing spectacular, but it went down smooth and quenched my thirst. Would drink again.
Thx.

3.37/5  rDev +11.6%

A: Bright yellow in color, with a small white head that receeds

quite quickly and doesn't leave any trace of lacing at all.

S: Very malty smelling, with a nice floral overtone and a hint of

orange. Quite nice, simple but nice. I like it.

T: Very light and mild in taste, but similar to that of the smell. A

nice floral overtone, hints of orange, a hint of wheat as well. Again

very simple but nice.

MF: A bit watery but carbonated perfectly.

D: This is where this one does very well. It's a very light beer (but

not A light beeer) not overpowering, has enough flavor to keep you

drinking. Price is nice. A good beer to have on a hot day.

3.58/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured a clear, light yellow color with a pleasant, bubbly white head. Smell was fairly average and mild: some grainy malts and a little grassy hops. The taste had malts up front that were kind of bready, plus hops that were a little earthy and tangy, leaving a light zing at the end. A tad watery, a dry finish, but the taste was what a light macro lager should be: crisp and freshing.

2.75/5  rDev -8.9%

2.75/5  rDev -8.9%

2.35/5  rDev -22.2%

Ordered a bottle of this at a restaurant. I poured the bottle into a pint glass. No head to speak of and no lacing. The color is very light. Sitting next to my glass of water, I could barely tell the difference between the two. The aroma is subdued to say the least. There is a slight hint of hops and malt and I really had to take a few deep sniffs to register the aroma. The taste is much the same...very mild on hops and grain, with a bit of a funky aftertaste. The mouthfeel is dry and bubbly. Overall, a rather underwhelming beer that barely registered on my senses. I think the bottle with the elephant logo was the coolest part of this beer.

2.16/5  rDev -28.5%

A very light golden color with a white one finger head of relatively thin foam. Beer was fairly carbonated. Aroma was light: grass and a hint of hops if you strained hard enough. Taste was thin, watery and carbonated, a hint of biting hops. I'd say slightly better than a normal macro....

2.25/5  rDev -25.5%

2.94/5  rDev -2.6%

12oz bottle date stamped mfg 31 Jan 08 exp 31 Jan 09. Maybe I'm a little late on this bottle? Poured into a tall clear glass - proud puffy multi-finger head. Extremely pale yellow color. Light aroma of hops and barley. Very watery with little carbonation, very simple tasting character - not much flavor or taste, just basic thirst quenching stuff. Very innocuous brew that could probably fit in very well with other TV beers (I'd rather drink Tusker than those any day.) Very simple stuff here - try it for the novelty but not much else.

4.17/5  rDev +38.1%

a gift from a friend - bought and drank in cambridge, ma, October 2009.

golden yellow typical color, clear, for some reason reminds me of kellerweiss color without the cloudiness. probably just me thinking of kellerweiss though.. mm. this beer had a decent 20-second head, but leaves minimal lacing.. lame.

smell is pretty good. don't notice any notable off-notes, smell of sweet malts and minimal else.. smells like sunshine on dewy grass, with a touch of earth.

tastes about what you would expect, but better. clean and slightly sweet, finishes clean but not overly dry, having just enough touch of earthy hop notes in the background to keep things balanced, just enough sweetness to not taste like water. no off flavors noticed here.

silky, just enough carbonation to give some spark on the tongue without dominating the brew

really tastes like a beer you don't even notice you're drinking. not necessarily what i usually look for in a beer, but I have to admit, it'd be easy to drink back these babies all night.

4.03/5  rDev +33.4%

Now, I will start by saying that I fell in love with this beer before first taste. I try to read the labels of every beer I drink, and I HAD to when I saw this was a beer from Kenya. Any beer named after the elephant that killed one of the founders of the brewery.

I did not have very high hopes for this, since to my (limited) knowledge, Kenya isn't known for beer, but I went ahead and gave it a try.

Anyways, it has a light golden brown color to it. The smell isn't very strong, so no real comment for this.

This is a great summer beer as the taste is nice and crisp. It has a slight bitterness to it, but it is very inoffensive and easy to drink. The slight bitterness lingers for a bit of an after-taste, but I enjoy that. I like a beer to have some flavor as so many do not.

I learned a big lesson in not making assumptions as to where a beer is brewed. I will definitely try beers from other places that you don't think of typically for their beers.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Tusker Premium Lager from East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries)