Follow our progress ...

Allsopps Lager | East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries)

YOUR RATING = None |
Awaiting 10 Reviews

East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries)
Kenya | website

Style: Euro Strong Lager

Added by BlackHaddock on 09-04-2007

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 2
1.56/5  rDev n/a
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bottle: Poured a bright golden color lager with a bubbly head with medium retention. Aroma consists of sweet adjunct notes that are dominant. Taste is also dominated by some sweet adjunct notes with very little else in terms of characteristics. Body is thin with medium carbonation. This is very bland with too much adjunct coming through and taste as crap as other pale lager form this brewer. I am starting to wonder if there is not some re-packaging/marketing happening here.

3.94/5  rDev n/a

When I told an 'old seadog mate' that I had brought back a bottle of Allsopps with me from Kenya he got all excited. It was the beer his ships burser used to restock the gally with when they used to stop at Mombassa in the 70's.

This brown 500ml bottle was bought in Nairobi and came back with 5 other beers in my luggage. Best before July 2008, it was drank in Sept 2007.

Poured into one of my Duvel glasses, with a little left in the bottle to refill as I drank.

It looked good, crisp golden, yet darker than normal lager yellow and clear, the white head however dissappeared very quickly leaving very little to talk about.

The aroma was of fresh bread and cheap malted biscuits, certainly different to your normal lagers which very often have no aroma at all to me.

The taste was great for a lager, really roasty and malty, a sweet feel to it too.

Brown bread toast in the mouthfeel, lingering to give a feeling of fullness in the overall taste. The 5.5% alcohol holds everything together well.

Very impressed, one of the best lagers I have ever had.

Allsopps Lager from East African Breweries Ltd (Kenya Breweries)
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.