Dirty Penny Ale - The Olde Burnside Brewing Company

The Olde Burnside Brewing Company visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Black & Tan |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-02-2004

Our popular “Dirty Penny Ale” is a hearty, but never heavy “black’n’tan” style* which is mixture of 60% Ten Penny/40% our own signature stout. This beer is also available year-round at your local bar or favorite beer store.

(Motto: Dirty Penny Ale …Polish One Off!)

2.25/5  rDev -37%

2.25/5  rDev -37%

2.66/5  rDev -25.5%

They attempted to put the date but it's too smudged and illegible.

Pours a huge huge fizzy over carbonated possibly infected or under attenuated like head, fades pretty quickly spotty lacing, dark mahogany brown color.

Nose big dark brown malts, little porter like dark almost black malt, mild roasty slight burnt like notes, caramel and toffee, char, burnt molasses rich yeasty and faint herbal hops.

Taste is loaded with carbonation, almost undrinkable, slight tangy sour malts, little metallic, sweet little syrupy, burnt caramel and molasses, little roast and char, brown malts. Faint grassy hop thing, mild bitterness, slimy tangy metallic yeasty old under attenuated and over carbonated unhappy beer.

Mouth is med mod, syrupy and slimy and way way way over carbonated.

Overall bad. I'll have to try this again sometime since it's obviously not at its prime, but just a bad beer.

2.91/5  rDev -18.5%

This is my first review here on BA, how exciting

Last night I ran into the beer store with only 5 minutes left to buy, I knew I had to act fast so I limited myself only to the selection nearest to the registers. In the first cooler was a wide variety of 8 dollar bombers of Rogue and a few different half gallon jugs. Ive heard of Olde Burnside and since their local I figured I'd give it a chance.

It just wasn't my cup of beer. It poured nicely, very dark; couldnt see through it. Decent head, a little creamy tan color. Smelled roasty; with hints of caramel.

The taste just felt empty. I was expecting a fuller bodied beer. Smooth to drink with a little bit of chocolate. Very dry aftertaste to me. Slightly bitter

My buddy loved it, so it must hit the spot for some people. Just not for me

2.94/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

It's a sour. Not bad but not expected.

3.08/5  rDev -13.7%

The beer pours a cloudy brown color with a thick frothy tan head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is sour almost lambic like. I think this might have sat a while. It has a mild caramel/roasted scent. The taste is average. It has a light and easy drinking flavor that boasts of pale, crystal, and roasted malts. It goes down easy, but it has a sour finish. I guess the yeast has given it some off flavors. Anyway, the mouthfeel is decent. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. I would have liked to try this one fresh out of the tanks. As it is, I think I drank a sat beer that was past it's prime.

Dirty Penny Ale from The Olde Burnside Brewing Company