Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Ten Penny Ale - The Olde Burnside Brewing Company

Ten Penny AleTen Penny Ale

good

The Olde Burnside Brewing Company visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Scottish Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-04-2002

“Ten Penny Ale,” our flagship brew is a smooth, amber-hued mellow version of a Scottish Ale. It’s a good “session ale” and was awarded “Hartford’s Best Microbrew” for 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2009 by The Hartford Advocate’s Readers Poll. This beer is available year-round at your local bar or favorite beer store.

Why “Ten Penny?” My grandfather used to say “You can get a good beer for a nickel, but a really good beer will cost you ten pennies!” (Motto: Work hard, drink well… Ten Penny Ale!)
3.56/5  rDev -4%

Reviewed on 6/15/08. On tap at Corner Pug, West Hartford, CT. Pours a light brown with a small white head. Aroma of sweet malts. Initial flavor is sweet, followed by bitter hops, roasted malt. Decent beer and quite drinkable.
Aroma: 6/10
Appearance: 4/5
Flavor: 7/10
Palate: 4/5
Overall: 13/20
3.4/5 (299 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -7%

On tap at a hotel bar I was at recently, served in a pint

A light brown with a chill haze that falls over the body. A tight, off-white cap didn't leave much of an impression.

Very muted nose. Aromas of nuts and caramel. Rather dry.

There is a noticable layer of smoke along with the caramel malt and roasted nuts. Better than I was expecting.

Crisp and dry with a medium body.

This could be a good go to beer if the selection isn't that great, which in this case it wasn't. Drinkable, didn't seem to have a high abv at all. (528 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

A- pours a cloudy orange brown. Off white head but I'm not getting much head even with an agressive pour
S- A yeasty smell, lightly grainy. Not too much
T- The first thing that hits me is the huge hop flavor this has, you think the aftertaste will be very bitter considering the flavor but it is quite the oposite. After the up front herbal and citrus flavors come it's very nice malt backbone. You would expect this from a scotish ale with it mild smoke and caramel malts, somewhat biscuty and yeasty.
M- Light carbonation (could be a little more), medium thin body. A very mild scotish ale
D- very drinkable and complex.
I wish this had more of a scent to it. There are a ton of late hop additions to this, but none of them seem to contribute any aroma, but then again maybe thats what they were going for with the scotish style...so what do I know? I do know I will look for this beer and other by Olde Burnside Brewing Company. (931 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

My favorite session beer, crisp. clean. One finger head that stays throughout the pint. Malty aroma, a bit smoky. A citrus/grass hop note. The body was average for the style, with light carbonation, mouthfeel was average, but if it was 90 degrees out the mouthfeel would be exceptional. Very well balanced. I had no problem finishing a growler and a half. This is what I reach for after mowing the lawn. A winner in my book . I've got to make it a point to get down to the brewery, I would love to have a fresh pint. (516 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -4%

Pours reddish and clear with a lively head and good lacing. Not much aroma. The flavor is crisp and malty with a slight bitterness. there is relatively little in the way of finish, however. The mouthfeel is thin but not unpleasant. This is a good, drinkable beer. You won't be disappointed to find it in a pub somewhere. (320 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +15.9%

Poured from a growler into a pint glass.

Pours a clear amber color with a one finger plus white head that has good retention with no lacing. The aroma is dominated by sweet carmelized malt. Up front flavors of toasted malt and smoke lead to some lemony hops with chocolate and molasses. Light carbonation, medium body, leaves a very clean, crisp mouthfeel, a little thin for the style but it works. The malt is very well controlled and balanced by the hops, there are so many different flavors. Too often, the smoke takes over the taste of this style, not here. Amazing drinkability for the style, I had no problem finishing this growler on my own. My favorite CT beer to date. (678 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +29.4%

I've tried all the other local microbrews and keep coming back to Olde Burnsides Ten Penny Ale.
If they don't have it at your local Pub or restaurant, then it's time for a change.. go to one that has it.
This exceptional brew stands out amongst the crowd, smokey sweet flavor, frothy head, and a satisfying smooth finish.
My recommendation is this - Drink Ten Penny Ale because the rest of them are just beer. (409 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -4.3%

Hazy Orange-Brown color with a nice off-white tan head that laces the glass. It has a nice roasted malt smell with some hop bitterness. The flavor is pretty good. It tastes of roasted malts as a base and a good hop bitterness to balance out the flavor. The mouthfeel is good with a nice velvety feel and a bit flatter than it had to be. The drinkability is pretty good though. I like this beer, gotta support your local brewer. (427 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -9.2%

Appearance: It is a slightly hazy orange-brown color, with a nice thick head comprised of little bubbles. The head sticks around until the end.

Smell: It is rich and malty. There is deep caramel aroma in there. Something smells perhaps of raisins? As it warms a bit, a more biscuity aroma appears, enhancing the overall profile.

Taste: Not as full as the aroma, but still decent. Definitely serve warmer than fridge temperature, you'll find it much more satisfactory even after just fifteen minutes out of the fridge. Cold, it is weak and without structure. Cellar temp, and there is more of a backbone there (although still could be more). This complements well the moderate hop bitterness. Mine sort of tastes a little sour, which I expect is a packaging issue or caused by handling by the distributor or retailer (but it was in the fridge case).

Mouthfeel: It is quite watery. I would expect it to be thick and heavy. There is a tiny hint of that, but really not. The hops and fizz leave a long lasting biting feeling, that a dose of residual sweetness could go a long way towards balancing.

Drinkability: Flaws aside, I find this quite drinkable. Its watery mouthfeel may actually help one polish off the whole growler in one sitting. While at the same time, the malty aroma and multifaceted taste keep you interested. (1,326 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -17.8%

The beer pours a dark golden color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a fruity yeast scent along with a mild pale and light crystal malt aroma. There are some hops in there as well. The taste is average. It has a weak and watery malt flavor. There appears to be some peated malt in there, but it's faint. The hops add some bitterness, but not enough to make it interesting. The mouthfeel is average as well. It is a low bodied beer with a little too much carbonation. This is a forgettable brew. I wanted to like it, but it's just not very good. (601 characters)

1.55/5  rDev -58.2%

This beer poured a clean brown with a thin head. I was quite impressed. The aroma smelled of cigarettes, butter, coffee along with something that was rather funky, possibly an infection. There was an earthy, still funky, cigarettes, butter and infection flavor. I couldn't get past the funky and infected flavor enough to get further in the taste evaluation. There is a medium to full body, but again, I couldn't get past the flavor. The growler may not have been clean. I found it too funky to be enjoyable. Maybe I can review it again and be more positive. (558 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a growler into my frosted Ten Penny pint glass.

A: Pours a deep reddish-copper with a foam that rises to about a finger. The head stays throughout the brew, fading only near basement.

S: Smell is sweet and smokey, like a char-broiled apple laced with caramel malts.

T: Ten Penny is pretty robust, given its thin nature. Great malt flavor with a slight floral hop finish. Just enough hops to detect the presence, but the roasted malt flavor is headlining the show.

M: Mouthfeel is a bit thin for the style, but I think it only adds to the drinkability. Light-bodied with a smooth malt flow, only mild sting from hops.

D: I'm a Ten Penny fan, and a supporter of local brews, so I'm known to pack a growler for BBQs rather often. Drikability is high because of interesting flavor and refreshing mouthfeel for a Scotch Ale.

Ten Penny is a very reliable Scoth Ale and always available in growler form. I've had it on-tap, and it's pretty much on par, but I prefer the former. Definitely recommended. (1,012 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -14.3%

"On tap" from the side of an Olde Burnside Brewing Co. van at the Glasgow Lands Scottish Festival in Northampton, MA today.
A: Nice reddish color with orangey tinges. Pretty good head that looks creamy. Admittedly hard to see (and smell/taste) as it was served in a plastic festival mug.
S: Smells like alcohol with a backing of beer. Good malty scents, in addition to some whiffs of more earthy, floral stuff that I couldn't quite identify. An overall interesting effect, and identifiably Scottish in character.
T: Very much like its smell. Nice maltiness at first, but it fades out to a somewhat subdued alcohol taste that's a lot like watered-down whiskey. I haven't had too many Scotch ales before, but this is a little less agreeable than the others, from what I remember.
D: One of these is interesting enough to drink, but that's probably enough for me. (864 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pours dark hazed ruby copper with a creamy off-white head that soon thins.

The smell is musty. Some caramel and fruitiness, but something reminiscent of an amateur home-brew whose yeast is out-of-control.

The taste is chalky. A bland yeast strain comes through. Watery with tea-leaf bitterness. Some vague fruitiness. As it progresses, it does get better, but not enough to catch-up. Caramel with too much hop presence for the style comes through the chalkiness. Astringently dry.

The feel is watery, though some flavor does try to hang on.

This one almost has potential, and I would like to try again, as I think this might be a bad batch. I remember having it at a beer festival in New York City and liking it more (though I do remember it being a bit out of style). This one was brought to me by friends who bought it cold, put it in a cooler, then a fridge and given to me only a couple days later. The chalky character was relentless. (952 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +3.8%

This is the second time I had a ten penny ale on tap. The first time I had it I thought someone made a mistake when storing the beer. Having it a second time at Adam's Mill restaurant in Manchester CT, I realized that first time I had it it was either skunked, or the tap lines contaminated. Anyways, this beer was a decent all around brew, and I would order it again. I had it with a burger and it paired quite nicely. However this beer may not be completely loyal to its style. I found there to be more hops in the beer than I feel a Scottish ale should have, however for my personal taste I enjoyed it. If rating based on loyalty to style alone, subtract a half point. However I liked it, good session beer, and would drink it again. (736 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -6.2%

Growler, purchased in a MA Liquor store..

A: Lighter then I expected. Light brown. Nice head that stayed for the entire beer.

S: Smells like a Scots Ale. Smokey, malty with a faint touch of hops.

T: Smoked malt. Very drinkable, but not all impressive. Not much there there.

M: A bit to much carbonation and no mouth. To watery. (339 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -15.1%

I found this beer to be extremely drinkable, but pretty bland otherwise for a Scottish Ale. The growler I had was about a week old, but had been refrigerated the entire time before opening.

This beer pours a light amber color with a thin white head that quickly faded into my pint glass. The smell was malty and sweet. The taste was mild without too much carbonation, and finished with a lot of sweetness that faded rather quickly with very little aftertaste at all.

This is a beer you could easily drink all night and is great for a group who may not like more full-flavored ales. (589 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -0.5%

Originally reviewed on May 21, 2006. Julios Spring Beer Festival. Nice glowing warm strong pomagranate juice aroma, with an aged Gruyere twist. A touch of smoke. Pour of hazlenut ambered orange. Flavor is a rich warm sweet fruit, filled with oragnes, lemons, cranberries and light malt. Then a rounding dusky peat smoke and a dash of bright hops for a good rounding effect. Well Done! (384 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +0.5%

Drank on-tap at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, Hartford, CT

Poured a deep, reddish-amber with a one-finger, light tan head. The head subsided to a thick film and lasted for most of the drink. Blankets of lacing stuck en masse to the sides of the glass and actually left ridges between sips.

Smell was subtly sweet, caramel like and creamy. The aroma actually reminded me of a caramel coated flan.

Taste was pleasant yet too short lived. Creamy malts appeared on the front end before the dry, slightly roasted and smoked malts kicked in. As the beer approached the rear of the palate however, the flavor seemed to trail off completely. Very clean finish.

Mouthfeel was full, rich and creamy. (687 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +3%

Pours a bright caramel color with ruby highlights and a deep darkness in the middle. Tight, soft head. On the nose, tons of toffee and vanilla notes, plus some dry graininess. The taste is a bit different from what I expected based on the nose -- there's a touch of brown grains in the middle, but the first sensation I get from this is a dry hop bitterness that sticks around through the finish. The mouthfeel is also much thinner than I had expected, with sharp carbonation and a slight alcoholic burn. Overall, very enjoyable in spite of not being what I expected -- an easily enjoyable, quite drinkable beer that represents its style well. (643 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured a deep amber hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured a full blown grain aroma.

The taste was upfront caramel sweetness with a nutty undertone. Pure malt experience.

The mouthfeel was full.

Overall a drinkable Scottish Ale. Could have used a broader grain profile in my opinion. (354 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -6.2%

On-tap at Pitcher’s Pub in Cumberland, RI, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light brown, with a short off-white head that fades at an average rate and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The smell isn’t very strong, but has notes of nuts and caramelized malt.

T: The taste is very nutty and malty, along with a hint of smokiness.

M: Smooth & crisp with a medium-to-full body, medium-to-high carbonation (a bit too high for my liking in this particular style) and a clean finish.

D: This beer is tasty, but it’s a bit filling. It’s worth drinking, but personally, I might look for something else. (633 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +21.8%

A - this ale pours a dark orange/coppery appearance, with moderate to heavy carbonation with a two finger thick creamy white head

S - a great musty hoppy aroma with a slight spiciness

T - mmm, great bitters in here, with a nice wheaty-bready taste, very full bodied, almost chewable

M - a nice brisk taste, not over-smooth but very easy down

D - which leads to a great drinkability, even my father, who's a High Life man, likes this beer (449 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +4.3%

I love the color of this beer. I first tried this at a bar that has since left our mists...(R.I.P. Starstruck). The color struck me as liquid toffee, which was only reinforced by a similar odor spiked with hints of chocolate.

I find this beer to be slightly bitter to my mouth with a semi watery feel. The second sip reinforces the bitterness, but without the watery feel. I love the flavor, and to date haven't found another beer to liken it to. It has a slightly hops flavor with hints of the rich chocolate and toffee.

I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for something that is a little richer then your standard macrobrews. However, if you prefer a light beer, or are drinking with a light meal I say...select something different.

Additionally, only choose the growler if you have to. This beer pours much better from a tap then a bottle. (864 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -2.2%

On-tap at The Garden Grille in Newport.

Amber-orange with a white head, good lacing. Smells sweet and faintly of roasted caramel. Taste is sweet and smooth with subtle roasted and caramel falvors. No big flavors here, but a very nice beer nevertheless. Easy drinking and tasty, a good NE craft brew for the uninitiated. (323 characters)

Ten Penny Ale from The Olde Burnside Brewing Company