Penny Weiz Ale - The Olde Burnside Brewing Company

Penny Weiz AlePenny Weiz Ale

The Olde Burnside Brewing Company visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

"Penny Weiz" is our special version of a Belgian Witbier, incorporating 50% wheat and 50% barley. Based on an original homebrew recipe from Paul "Zok" Zocco (of Zok's Homebrewing Supplies), our Head Brewer, Joe Lushing collaborated with Paul to create a wonderfully refreshing, thirst-quenching brew especially for spring and summer enjoyment. To put a subtle spicy note to the beer, a "wee" bit of heather and sweet orange peel were added to the mix in keeping with our brewery's Scottish roots. "Penny Weiz" is a 5% ABV beer and is available in the spring and summer months in our familiar, recyclable, half-gallon growler bottle.

(Beer added by: erosier on 05-10-2008)

beerfootfreak, Sep 10, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -17.2%

JoeMans, Aug 07, 2014
2.93/5  rDev -11.7%

I am now committed to reducing, if not eradicating, my backlog of bottles. I bought it at The Friendly Greek's Bottle Shop, but it had shrank from a big azzz jug down to a 12-fl. oz. bottle when I did so. Hee hee.

From the bottle: "Located at the historic Burnside Ice Co."

Ah yes, Ye Olde Burnside B.C., which puts me in mind of the Civil War Army Captain (?)/Major (?) whose facial hair and inverted surname gave rise to the term "Sideburns". The Norm D. had a Food Service Officer at one point whose surname was Burnside. Onward!

I used a penny to prise off the cap and then I began my pour until the pseudo-cascade began to die down, forming two-plus fingers of dense, rocky, bone-white head with good retention. Color was a hazy golden-yellow (SRM = 5). Nose smelled kind of musty, definitely yeast-driven. Mouthfeel was kind of thin and watery. The taste was spicy, but it seemed muted. I was definitely a Wit, but one lacking the kind of Ooomph! that would make it memorable. The finish was dry, spicy and pleasant, but not anything to which I would return.

woodychandler, Jul 18, 2014

jefftuck47, Jul 09, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +13%

psdriscoll, Jul 02, 2014
2.79/5  rDev -16%

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle with a smudge marking that begins with 2014. Sampled on June 25, 2014.

The look is about right for the style with its foggy, cloudy pale yellow color and tremendous white fizzy head that dissolves quickly. But that was its best characteristic as far as I am concerned.

The aroma is yeasty and really lemon-like to the point that any pale malts and hops are buried.

Thin, watery, unexciting body.

The taste is more akin to a fruit beer with the amount of lemon I pick up. The toasted mats and finish are weak. There is also this sort of vegetable oil thing in the mix. When I see other people review beers like these higher than me I have to wonder if I got a tainted or outdated bottle.

puboflyons, Jun 25, 2014
4.85/5  rDev +46.1%

For an orange wit bier...I've never had a better one. Freakin' delicious. Everything that comes out of this brewery is FANTASTIC!!!! I've tried a lot of this variety and absolutely nothing beats the Penny Weiz. I'd take it over anything else. Try one. It's yummy!!!! Now available in 4 packs, usually just $6.99!!!!

Beeraphernalia, May 31, 2014