Val-Dieu Triple - Brasserie de l'Abbaye du Val-Dieu

Val-Dieu TripleVal-Dieu Triple

Brasserie de l'Abbaye du Val-Dieu visit their website

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-24-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Val-Dieu Triple Alström Bros
4.41/5  rDev +6.3%

33 cl. bottle into my Corsendonk tulip.

Appearance: One of the best tripels I've seen poured. Tons of bubbles circulating, a beautiful head that sits perfectly atop the glass, and tons of covering and clumpy lacing as I drink (when the head finally settles). Not only that, but there are so many bubbles gurgling up that they recharge the head in a way, always pushing it up and forming the thinnest layer of bubbles at the bottom. Amazing.

Smell: Sweet malt, candi sugar, heavy alcohol, and dark fruit. Wish there was more of a banana presence, or fruit akin to that kind of aroma. But alas, this is still pretty fine.

Taste: The balance here is what wins me over. Lots of ripe fruit is at the forefront, which then sinks into more malt character, thick Belgian yeast, some earthiness and slight phenols, and finally all of it coming together with a tad bit of dryness and bitterness to round things out. Without balance this could go to possibly bad places, but since it's here and done very very well (not to mention the lack of alcohol presence in the taste), it makes it a sipper and one I want to keep going back to.

Mouthfeel: Thick, full, and very creamy. Light carbonation toward the end, but enough to not make it cloying, and it ends up being beyond fitting.

Drinkability: An excellent tripel. Val Dieu hasn't let me down, and the three brews I've had have all been pretty fantastic. If you can find the gift pack and you're a Belgian fan, don't hesitate to pick any of the styles up, the tripel being one of the best.

4.14/5  rDev -0.2%

750mL bottle poured into a Karmeliet chalice.

Appearance was orange in color and a creamy head looked promising, but fell apart and left spotty lacing. The smell was very interesting, involving various fruits in which apricot, apple, and pear were included. The taste was much of the same, but I also found some spices including vanilla and nutmeg. Body was medium to full, nice and creamy going down. I really enjoyed drinking this one down, and will probably be picking up another bottle in the future.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

This beer poured clear and golden with a white head. It had a sweet and flowery aroma. It tasted sewwt, flowery, had no pronounced bitterness. it was light and very nicely carbonated. I thaught that it was very well ballanced and generaly great tasting.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

33cl bottle, pours a hazy burnt orange-yellow and makes a thin head that dissipates into a halo. Never ending bubbles rise from the sides of my glass, maintaining the subtle head making it long lasting. Yeasty, bready aroma with hints of banana and clove. Lots of banana and clove flavor, crisp peppery spicyness, quite good, one of the best tripels that I have ever tried. Creamy smooth medium bodied palate with bubbly carbonation, finishes incredibly dry. This is great, I will definitely try this again!

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Corked and caged 750 ml bottle. Corked pops with some serious force. Pours pale straw, crystal clear with a bone white head. Very pretty. Almost glows.

Spicey, buttered-bread aroma. Clove is very upfront and the alcohol tinges the sides.

Clovey flavor with hints of citrus -- lemon -- and finishes with a spicy clove bitterness. Alcohol is very well hidden.

Light and clean in the mouth, smooth.

A nice tripel, different in it's spiciness. Very fitting for warming up on a snowy day spent sledding with my sons.

3.53/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a chalice from a 750ml bottle.

My Val-Dieu Triple poured a light orange color that took a faint amber glow in the light gleaming with sediment. A monstrous, billowing two-inch head developed that settled unevenly with one side gradually rising as the other fell. The scent was lightly alcohol and nondescript.

Despite boasting a high ABV (9%), this ale was very light in flavor with hints of white grape, orange and nutmeg. Although this beer did not seem very carbonated, it had a very champagne-like sprite and sparkle. While refreshing, something was very off in the aftertaste, filling the back of the tongue with cupric and soap tastes.

Ultimately this ale proved refreshing in the same manner as a good saison, but a little bland. With the wealth of tripels that exist in the modern American beer market, I doubt I would purchase this again, but I encourage all to try and make up their own minds.

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

Pours a cloudy, yellow-gold color with off-white head that is just incredible in terms of it's thickness and retention. Great rings of lace are left behind in my goblet. The aromas I detect are mostly of dried fruits, alcohol, and yeast. The taste is typical for this style with some small deviations. This beer has greater lingering candy-like sweetness in the aftertaste with a greater presence of alcohol in the taste. An interesting Triple, but not my favorite. The aftertaste is a bit unusual, in my opinion, for this style. I didn't enjoy the aftertaste nor did I like the alcohol taste upfront with minimal masking and so I would not want to have more of these in one sitting.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

When the cork flew at my face I became afraid of this beer. It had the most head I have ever seen in a beer, even after exploding at me. The head came down into a very nice lacing and concentric rings in my goblet after drinking.
The smell wasn't very pronounced and when I took a big sniff I couldn't make out much more than the alcohol.
Taste, Good. About what you'd expect for a triple. For the style not my favorite, but definitely not ad, and worth the $8.29 I paid.
Mouthfeel - maybe I'm not the best judge because my beer exploded and I poured off more head, but it was, again, what I'd expect for the style, not spectacular, not bad.
Drinkability... Other than scaring me, a good solid, drinkable Belgian tripel, I'll probably pick it up again sometime.

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%

Rich amber with a hint of orange, a fine yeasty haze and sheets of Champagne-like bubbles. The head is absolutely phenomenal. It's polished ivory in color and is as whipped creamy as any I've seen in a while. It's also a chiseled, rocky masterpiece as it falls, depositing thick chunks of foam, not lace exactly, all over the glass.

It's a good tripel nose, not quite a great one. The focal point is golden orchard fruit with hoppy underpinnings, both floral and earthy, as well as a light sprinkling of spice. Alcohol is noticed, as well it might be at 9.0%, although it's complementary rather than abrasive. My hope is that it's as well-behaved on the palate as it is in the nose.

Val-Dieu Triple is good beer. It isn't as dizzyingly complex and as nuanced as some, nor is it as powerfully spicy and as assertive as others. That doesn't mean that it isn't just as good in its own way. There's a fair amount of pale malt, with sweetness easing ahead of bitterness during the first half of each mouthful. The flavor profile changes smoothly in mid-course so that bitter and spicy make more of a statement late. Brandy-soaked apricots and peaches hold the center as far as specific flavors.

Alcohol is more noticeable than in some tripels. However, it's so smooth and so comfortably warming that to ratchet it down would be to lessen the beer in my opinion. The brewery's website includes the phrase "strength and serenity!" to describe this beer. A more than apt choice of words, I'd say.

This may be the most thoroughly lace-encrusted glass that I've ever seen for a non-hoppy, high-ABV beer. The mouthfeel doesn't quite achieve silky, but it's supremely smooth and is several notches more full than medium. Despite the crazy amount of visible carbonation and the outstanding, persistent head, the beer is anything but overcarbonated in the mouth.

Val-Dieu (Valley of God) Triple is somewhat unheralded, but it still manages to holds its own with some of the better known tripels from the land of all good tripels, Belgium. Although it doesn't supplant my favorites, it's clearly a well-crafted beer that should be a source of pride to the brothers of Abbaye Val-Dieu. Its strength (and quality) has led to my serenity. I like this one.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured a deep slightly hazy golden with some noticable deep orange hue,the aroma definently had a little funkiness to it like wet grain and sour apple with that Belgian yeastiness some clove and smoke.Big phenolic flavors quite spicey with an underlying powdered suger note there is a decent fruity apricot-like flavor in the finish that lingers nicely.A solid Triple I have had better but this is not shabby by any means at all.

4.06/5  rDev -2.2%

Appearance: Pours almost perfectly clear with a ¼” White head of medium sized bubbles. The head was maintained pretty well by quite a few bubbles rising. There was some light lacing on the glass after drinking.

Aroma: Grainy earthy aromas with a bit of subtle fruit like red apples in particular. A little bit of lemons mixed with bread is also noticeable in the background. The dry grainy malts and subtle fruit that make up the majority of the profile are reminiscent of a Kolsch with the volume turned WAY up.

Taste: Some mild spices and sweet sugary malt are the first things you notice. The citrus fades in a little later than I am used to for this style. This almost sweet and sour citrus thing that is going on in the middle gradually fades to a dry and slightly fizzy mouthfeel. There is some apparent alcoholic warmth that sets in late in the finish, and sticks around for some time...at least until my next sip.

Opinion: This is a really nice beer. It is a bit on the clean side for a Tripel, and is probably the clearest example that I have had that is truly from Belgium. I can’t knock it for being clean, but I was a little surprised by this beer. Reading the BJCP guidelines for this style, it calls for predominant citrus and that the malt should support. In this case, the malt is a key player. This isn’t a bad thing, but something to note. I really like this beer, but it’s not big on the mouth-puckering effect that drives many of us to seek out Tripels.

This beer poured a nice golden yellow with a billowy white head.

The aroma was sugary sweet with candi sugar and pale malts.

The flavor is malty sweet with a lot of candi sugar in there as well. There were a lot of fruity esters, apple, pear, and a touch a citrus.

The mouthfeel is medium/full bodied with medium carbonation.

I thought this was a very drinkable triple and I would highly recommend it.

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very nice. Another fine specimen thrust upon us by Belgium. Pretty much a quintessential tripel. Bitterness comes at you about midway through a sip, not in your face. Big fruit overtones. Tastes of currants.

This one had a "12/06" on the cork, which i am forced to assume must mean "best if consumed by," since it is 9/05. Guess it could have aged some more, but it really didn't need it. Was wonderful as is. Enjoyed some of it during a cool walk on the beach with my wife, the rest while cooking and then eating dinner (chicken enchiladas).

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a bad ass tripel. Poured out to a damned nice rich golden color with high carbonation and a foamy white cloud like head. Heavy odors of bread and yeast, with some sweet apple and hop notes. Very tempting. Taste was very consistant and complex. Flavors of mild yeast, hops, and some sweet malt. Very crisp and vibrant mouthfeel. Finished mildly sour and sweet. This is a good tripel for those looking for a starting point in the style. I personally will be buying more of these. Highly Recommended.

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

Bought at the cultuur & folklore festival in Wijnandsrade

This beer poured a cloudy golden brew with a decent head. Good lacing.
Aroma is malty and spicy with some funky/barnyard yeasty aroma's popping up in the backgournd. Taste has these same yeasty, woody flavours but is also spicy and fruity. There's no bitter finish, so the beer becomes a bit too sweet and tiring after a while. Crisp and pleasant mouthfeel.

Not nearly the best beer in this style but still a pleasant and solid example.

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%

Light honey colour, ever so slightly hazy....absolutely glows when put up to the light. Nice white finger thick fluffly head, which goes away fairly quickly, leaving thick wet lace behind.

I get the aroma well before I even put my nose to the glass. Seems like this may be an intense sensory experience. Sticking my nose to the glass, I get s light spicy hint- but it's all about fruity smells- banana, peach, a bit of papaya, and some sour apple. Theres also a little hop underneath.

The flavour has a strong spicy top, with a pungent bottom that seems to have some grapefruit as well as some sort of licorice bits to it. Very woody and spicy on the finish. The alcohol is very present at the end. Very nice.

Mouthfeel has a low tight carbonation throughout. The feel of the liquid emerges mid to end, slightly thicker than you might imagine.

It would be a good session beer, I think- if you like doing that with higher gravity stuff. It might be a bit intense for some, but I'm quite fond of this one for an evening's work. :)

Be well
-UF

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a 11.2 oz. bottle with a Aug. 2006 "drink by date" notched in the side of the label.

A semi-cloudy golden-honey colored ale with a soft, thin head that clings dearly down a chalice. A soft fruit note coupled by yeast and alcohol compose of the overall scent.

Flavor is wonderful and bright. Tasty flavors of honey, apple, table sugar, and a slight rum note cascade the palate. Creamy, but dry, finish. A slight, herbal hop note dances through in the finish as well. Tight, phenolic nuance keeps the dryness pleasant. Subtle, yet refined. A nice classic belgian flavor.

The 9% alcohol content is nowhere near your immediate awareness because this drink is so light and crisp. It's refreshing and it is an early evening drunk's dream. Just from personal experience. :)

Somehow I can perceive myself eating warm apple pie with fresh whipped cream and sippin' this at the same time.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

I may have converted a Michelob Ultra drinker with this one. Two sips in and I knew this was going to be in my top 10 favorites til the end of time. Or at least for a while. Pours a golden, slightly hazy color with white white head and a bit of delicate lacing down the sides.

Smells delicious. Lots of fruits- apple, pear, apricot, and a dash of honey. Bits of pepper as well. Tastes great, too. So fruity and light and floraly, with a tich of a sour/spicy finish that really rounds out the flavors nicely.

Mouthfeel is a taaaad watery, but the lightness is nice. Highly, highly drinkable. 9%? Where is it? Can't smell it, can't taste it- I can certainly feel it, but man- a sneaky little bastard. Reminds me of Hennepin a little bit, and la Fin du Monde. Extremely enjoyable.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The bottle has a date of 20/01/07. I assume this means drink before Jan. 20, 2007. Today is June 17, 2005.

Served at 50 degrees from an 11.2oz bottle. Poured into an orval chalice. Is there protocal for mixing beers with chalices? It would seem that I would have quite an expensive collections of glassware if I collected one glass per beer...in any event, maybe that is a better topic for the forum rather than my review.

The beer pours nicely with a bright white head forming quickly and disappearing leaving a lacy covering across the surface. It a nearly clear yellowish amber color. Tiny bubbles pass upwards through the liquid. Nearly microscopic particulates can be seen floating happily in the alcohol.

The smell is delicious, a bold critus aroma with a delicate hoppiness.

The first and second sips are devine. Plenty of cirtus taste here. A very nice tripel. The malt and hops are delicate adding to the drinkability of this beer.

The feel is solid, without being too chewy.

I will keep this in ample supply in my cellar.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from an undated 750 into a Val-Dieu chalice.

Hazy gold with a tall white head that diminishes a bit but never goes away. Leaves a foam sheet inside the glass. Active carbonation, nice loud pop when the cork was pulled.

Green apples, sugars, spicey yeast, sweet malts, and a touch of hops make up the nose. The alcohol doesn't seem to register.

The apple notes are found again when tasted. Yeast, a little malt and a nice dose of hops paired with a slight spiceness from the alcohol bring in the finish. Very nice.

For some reason that I can't pinpoint, the mouthfeel is a little weak for the style. Very drinkable for the abv. A good dinner drink.

3.97/5  rDev -4.3%

Significant head in initial pour. light Golden, yeasty smell, medium biscuity texture, smooth, high alcohol and eggshell medicinal yeasty aftertaste, partly arising from taste of white pepper and pear, sweet tangerine. Carbonation above average. Good, not best of this brewery

3.43/5  rDev -17.3%

Pours out to a lightly hazy medium-golden, forming a large and clumpy, soapy bone-white head with very good retention and nice lacing. Carbonation is moderate. Aroma is predominated by apple juice, cloves, and a wiff of alcohol. I'm distinctly picking up on orange peel but it could be my imagination as it would be odd for the style. No bananas. Mouthfeel is crisp and sharp with a medium and lightly syrupy body. Alcohol adds a stinging quality. Taste begins with grainy cereal notes and cloves, quickly overpowered by isopropyl alcohol esters and it's associated mouthfeel. Bitterness is mild and cereal sweetness runs throughout the middle. There is an odd grainy sweetness and wheat adds a lightly ruddy mouthfeel towards the semi-grassy finish. Lingering notes of candi sugar but it's not syrupy sweet.

This is an odd duck...it certainly passes as a triple, but the cereal, alcohol and grass make it quite odd for the style. There are many better triples out there for the price (I paid $3.49 for a stubby 11.2 oz bottle). Not impressed with the 2 brews I've had from this brewery so far. Pass on it.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

330 mL bottle with best by Feb. '06 notched on the label. Served slightly chilled in a Chimay chalice. When I popped the cap it began to foam up and all the sediment at the bottom rose to the top so I couldn't help pouring a lot of the yeast into the glass. Despite this, I tried to decant as best as I could. The beer pours a translucent gold with lots of chunks floating around. It is topped with a creamy, 1 finger head that leaves huge patches of lace and retains an 1/8 inch blanket of foam. Smell is sweet with spices (pepper, cloves), lots of fruits (banana, lemon, grapes, some tropical), and powdery yeast. Flavors include lots of piney hops and yeast up front with banana, lemon, and a bit of grape following behind. It finishes with a subtle hop bitterness. At times the beer seems to have an almost wine-like flavor. It is thick and creamy and I drank it pretty quickly, but it doesn't measure up to the Chimay tripel I reviewed the other day.

3.61/5  rDev -13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

25.4 FL. OZ.
9% ALC./VOL.

Massive amount of air rushed out at uncorking. There’s a good amount of yeast waiting so be careful on the pour.

Appearance – just a touch cloudy; golden body with a constant stream of bubbles rising to feed the head; lush, lofty white head; sheetlike lacing; really one of the more impressive tripels I have seen

Smell – somewhat like a candy cane with a heavy dose of spice

Taste – spices from start to finish; yeasty; a bit of a cooked green bean taste; a dose of an early pear; there’s a light banana taste in there and maybe a hint of green grape

Mouthfeel – nice moderate body; smooth upfront and crisp, clean and dry at the end

Drinkability - a good drinkable tripel; this doesn’t exactly fit my taste but in investigation, its rather quaffable

3.32/5  rDev -20%

A little thin maltwise considering what the style makes you expect. Pours a big white head on a hazy yellow body. Candi sugar and Belgian spicines crowds out any malt. I had a bunch of big beers like this between adoption trips to Russia, to help clear my palate of nasty Russian pale lagers.

Val-Dieu Triple from Brasserie de l'Abbaye du Val-Dieu