Val-Dieu Grand Cru - Brasserie de l'Abbaye du Val-Dieu

Val-Dieu Grand CruVal-Dieu Grand Cru

Brasserie de l'Abbaye du Val-Dieu visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-02-2006)
3.38/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours very dark, with very little head that dissipates quickly. Aroma is lots of malt, dark fruits, and a little bit of spice. The alcohol is barely present in the aroma and does not even come to the front in the taste. Mouthfeel and carbonation are very nice but this beer is way too sweet for me. I love quads but I think I would turn this down next time. Give me a Rochfort or Pennepot Fisherman's ale instead.

graywalker, Apr 09, 2007
3.45/5  rDev -17.5%

This is the second beer I drank on 30th Aug 2007, to celebrate the lives of John White and Micheal Jackson. I bought the bottle at the brewery shop this year and had been saving it for a special occasion.

Brown 75cl corked and caged bottle, the cork carries the best before date of 03/09. The cork was long and difficult to remove, so the bottle was slightly wobbled, the sediment moved into the beer and may have messed up the scores a bit!

Poured in a Duvel glass and a Hoegaarden Grand Cru one.

Very dark, almost black in colour, with a white head sitting proudly on top. If I looked closely, which I did, the sediment was washing around just below the surface and throughout the body of the beer, pity.

I could detect no aroma what so ever, which in its self is very strange, because the taste was full bodied and strong.

The taste as already mentioned was full bodied, it was also fairly sweet, very alcoholic and suggested plums, raisens and a light liquorice presence.

The flavours hung around in the mouth and although it is a strong beer, the thickness wasn't rich or pudding like. Can't put my finger on it, but something was missing. Which is why the drinkability is only a 3.5 score. The no show of any aroma doesn't help either.

BlackHaddock, Sep 01, 2007

Swonkie, Nov 14, 2012

frontalot, Jan 25, 2014

ygtbsm94, Jan 05, 2012

crhea89, Jan 01, 2014

Willcourt, Feb 20, 2013

Hyhat, Dec 28, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

Found a bottle gathering dust at one of the beer stores on my regular route. Given the ABV and the quadness, I figured that even if it really had been sitting eternally on a shelf it wouldn't be rotten and old. As it turns out, this really wasn't too bad but it leans toward being gritty-sweet, similar to the frosting on a supermarket sheet cake. Dark-brown to near-black; decent head, if a bit thin; sugary aroma mixed with a Dr. Peppery pruniness; a taste of peaches and figs and then the slightly out-of-bounds sugar. Definitely mellows out upon warming, and makes a nice winter accompaniment to beef stew, popcorn and a decent Hollywood Western. I took about 90 minutes to drink half the bottle; by the bottom of the glass my opinion had definitely risen (although that may just have been the 10.5% talking).

gfreed, Dec 17, 2011

rderedin, Jan 07, 2012

GrindFatherBob, Jun 03, 2013

tom10101, Jul 23, 2013
3.53/5  rDev -15.6%

750 ml corked bottle. $8.50 from Pints O Plenty.

Appearance: A very dark, clear ruby color. Big, soft cottony looking head with infinite retention. Very nice lacing. Helluva good start.

Smell: Smells very sweet. Dark fruit and yeasty spiciness. A nice maltiness and a tiny, unexpected whiff of sourness.

Taste: Very, very sweet. Too sweet. Raisiny syrup flavor, some spice, a nice bready yeast finish. The alcohol is warming, but hardly tasted at all. Not all that complex, and just too damn sweet.

Mouthfeel: Well this part is really nice. Full in the mouth and very smooth. The carbonation gives an exceptional softness.

Drinkability: This is a pretty good beer, but not that great of a quad, especially for an actual Belgian. Its just too sweet and not multifaceted enough. It was enjoyable enough, but I won't buy it again.

rapidsequence, Aug 20, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours a dark brown with a remarkably white head compared to the base beer. Some nice lace.

S: Brown sugar, raisins, dark candi sugar is prominent.

T: Has the classic dark candi sugar quad flavour but really nothing else. Some raisin and prune, but lacking complexity. Just going through the motions.

M: Medium-bodied, very smooth, light carbonation.

D: A solid quad, but the complexity and flavour was considerably better in the Brune which I had back in the day.

Halcyondays, Jun 30, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -13.2%

The first thing I noticed about this beer upon uncorking it was the smell. It has a very sweet smell with a faint tartness that I found to be quite pleasant, though a little stronger than I'm used to from Abbey ales.

Poured into a chalice, the color is a very dark, deep brown. I was disappointed that there was no real head to speak of, and it quickly faded. The color was nice and about what you'd expect from a quad, but the head retention was much less than what I've come to expect from an Abbey ale.

The beer was colder than what was suggested on the bottle, but I was impatient and dove right in. The taste was about what I was expecting form the aroma. Very sweet, tasting of grapes, a faint taste of cherries, and the raisin/fig quality found in most Abbey ales. When colder, its definitely a little too sweet for my liking. As it warmed, it mellowed out and the taste was significantly better. The high alcohol content (10.5%) is also hidden quite well.

In all, I enjoyed this beer, but I don't think its something I would seek out again. To me, it was a little overpowering and less subtle and complex than other Abbey ales.

89Vision, Jun 19, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -12.7%

750 mL bottle courtesy of fthomasl pours a rich crimson color with a fluffed tan head. Awesome lacing upon a decent retention. A good looking beer for sure.

Nose is bananas and chocolate....almost reminds me a bit of Aventinus. Lots of yeast esters and malty goodness....mmm

Taste is chocolate covered bananas with a dusting of cloves...interesting and tasty belgian offering. Id go more BSDA than quad but that is mainly due to the spicy zestiness the beer throws down. Interesting blend of flavors, but a bit on the sweet side for me and the phenols are raging.

twiggamortis420, Dec 08, 2012
3.7/5  rDev -11.5%

750 mL bottle poured into a chalice.

Appearance: A very dark pour, with reddish-brown highlights at the edges. Nice off-white head is creamy and foamy, with good retention. Some nice lacing as well.

Smell: Quite different than I imagined, since it is not heavy at all. I am getting the lightness of, say, strawberries and cream, though the actual aroma is more of caramel and fruit.

Taste: Has a pretty mellow fruity caramel flavor. I catch some raisins, apples, and hints of spice (cinnamon, nutmeg). Not much in the way of darker fruits, clove, yeast, or brown sugar. There's some more sweetness up front, and a bit of bitterness in the aftertaste, but overall, a pretty even keel throughout.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and smooth with light yet constant carbonation.

Drinkability: High ABV but not really apparent in the flavor.

A nice beer, but I don't really feel impressed by it. It lacks the dark, heady flavors that I generally associate with this style, and after a while starts to taste a tad too sweet. Not bad, but I was expecting something more and I'll pass on this in the future.

mithrascruor, Mar 22, 2011
3.72/5  rDev -11%

taospowder, Aug 19, 2014
3.73/5  rDev -10.8%

A - Deep mahogany with a medium head, bubbles clinging to the sides under the surface. The head is thick and clings to the sides of the glass.

S - Prunes, raisins, caramel malt and molasses. An okay aroma, abv is faintly detectable.

T - Malty, raisins, dates, a touch of dry grapes and alcohol. Aftertaste is faint linger fruitiness and alcohol. A touch of overripe bananas,

M - Thick, smooth, slick, very frefreshing and delcious.

d - Pretty good. I'd have it again, but I am in no hurry to do so.

mrasskicktastic, Mar 27, 2007