Oud Beersel Framboise - Brouwerij Oud Beersel

Oud Beersel FramboiseOud Beersel Framboise

Brouwerij Oud Beersel visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: cracker on 08-14-2005)
« first ‹ prev | 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next › last »
4.55/5  rDev +21%

Appearance - Deep crystal clear red with a small 1/4" head. Retention is decent, lacing is average.

Smell - Sour, green apples, and hints of raspberry. No noticible malt, or hops. Smells quite wonderful.

Taste - Very tart, but with a wonderful raspberry sweetness that really evens things out nicely. Again no noticible malt or hops.

Mouthfeel - Thick and slighly cloying on the back of the tongue, while at the same time highly effervescent.

Drinkability - This is an easy drinking smooth beer. I have no complaints.

Overall - This is quite an amazing beer. Usually I'm not so much a fan of fruit beers, but with the sourness of the lactic acids, it balances very well. Definately drink this one again!

Bobikel, Jan 05, 2007
3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

I had been looking for this after trying the Kriek and Gueuze. It's a nice counterpart, but probably my least favorite of the three.

Pours somewhat flat with little foam. Deep red, murky body. Smell of faint raspberry, tart and acidic. Taste is tart, not artificial, but more like cranberry juice in a way. It's approachable if not a little dull. Mouthfeel has low carbonation, again like unsweetened cranberry juice.

One bottle is enough, unless you are really into acidic fruit juice.

emerge077, Dec 27, 2006
3.95/5  rDev +5.1%

best before 25.01.2009

Raspberry nose, without much of the candy found in many *other* framboise lambics. Medicinal raspberry flavor with white pepper. About as tart as a raspberry, tame as far as lambics go but pretty nice. Grassy profile. Screaming to be paired with a dinner salad with raspberry vinegarette. Mouthfeel lost a few points for the thick sugars that hurt my teeth, although its not as bad as some *others*. Much better than the gueuze. Not a bad beer but I wouldn't go out of my way for it. Cheers.

rayjay, Oct 16, 2006
3.48/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours a pale red-brown, like the color of sparkling red grape juice only a little browner. Develops a merengue-like pink head that dies quickly leaving only lace.

Smell....ehh. Smells like soured apple juice, wet cardboard, sweet, sweet grape juice, some spicy notes, and some ester.

Taste....ehh. Tastes briefly like sweet sparkling red grape juice, then rapidly gives way to strong esters and a strange bitter that I can't place. Some banana flavors, as well as some pretty potent sourness on the finish. Not terrible, but not terribly nice either.

Mouthfeel is about equivalent to sparkling grape juice, except for the wicked bitter/sour characters.

Drinkability is not good..this stuff will sour your stomach quick.

Graebner, Jul 30, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +18.4%

on tap

pours a clear red with a much lighter head

aroma is complex with tartness, a bit of sweet fruit and some pleasant vinegar

taste is much like the aromas -slightly sweet, tart and acidic with hints of vinegar dressing (in the best way possible)

finish is sour, tart and appetizing

a unique version of framboise that isn't all sugary sweet.

k75, Jul 13, 2006

I found this one on tap at The Shanachie.

This beer came in a Leffe wine glass/chalice and it was a cranberry color with pale strawberry highlights. There was no head at all.

Smelled of dry bitter cranberries but the smell was focused on a tart raspberry. Coupled up with the fruit was a decaying organic leafy smell that reminded me of a fall day. There was also a little musky straw in there as well.

Tasted of dry, tart raspberries and a little earthy funk with little hop and CO2 stings around the edges of my tongue. In the finish, there was a lingering tartness that lasted for a surprising amount of time that made my tongue feel almost numb.

The mouth feel was light to medium bodied with only a slight carbonation that helped build up the body a little.

I enjoyed this beer. It was nice to find a lambic that wasn’t as sweet as Lindemans, but not as sour and funky as Cantillon. This was definitely a nice middle path between the two. This was definitely a tasty one, but the tart aftertaste made this a bit hard to drink.

DarkerTheBetter, May 12, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +8.5%

Sampled on-tap at the Brookline Publick house. My first Beer after a 4 hour car ride and getting lost in Boston, so all odds were in favor to make this Beer taste great!

Appearance: Cran-red, not much head, just a thin line of white lacing.

Smell: Cooked raspberries, like when my mom used to make jams at home. It even had pectin odors and even smelled tangy, with a greenish, pine-like wooden finish.

Taste: Very successful balancing act between sweet and funk, the former taking more room at first, but then the prickly carbonation and acidity slowly released more barnyard flavors within the steady stream of fruit, of raspberries that had some sugar but tasted like they weren't quite ripe enough. Very, very nice!

Goldorak, May 08, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -3.5%

Certainly sweet and surprisingly not sour at all. Nice berry aroma and raspberry reddish blue colour. Smooth taste, aggressive carbonation. Not syrupy, not thin, not the real raspberry in there totally, not soda and pleasantly OK.
Sampled at Cole's Belgium fest.

Sammy, May 01, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +9%

375ml corked and caged bottle. Best before 26.01.2009. Picked this up in Dayton, OH on my way back from Kentucky. Pours into my tulip glass a wonderful deep red with purple hues as well, after a nice pop from the cork. Half inch of light bubbly pinkish head atop the brew. Aromas start in with vibrant ripe raspberry tones alongside a big sour acidic twang. Touch of lemon zest with musty, funky yeast tones. Really draws you in with each inhalation.

First sip brings a wave of somewhat sweet raspberry flavors that meld into a nice sourness. Acidity is there but it's not overpowering. Lemon zested grains hit the roof of the mouth midway through each sip, along with mellow musty notes. Finishes with a nice sweet/sour infusion and a light lingering raspberry. This was a nice framboise, albiet a bit on the sweeter side.

Mouthfeel is smooth with plenty of bubbly carbonation that gives a creamy aspect to each sip. This one is quite drinkable as it lacks the strong acidity that some lambics tend to have. Not something I'd choose on a regular basis, but always a nice treat. I'll be looking forward to sampling the Kriek and Gueuze sometime soon!

orbitalr0x, Apr 14, 2006
3.03/5  rDev -19.4%

375ml bottle. "SB40" printed on side of cork. (A quick check of Alabama's online legislative info center [they call her ALISON] shows that in this year's regular session, SB40 is a bill removing the requirement that social security numbers be placed on hunting licenses. It's passed the senate, and has gone to a second reading in the house. A dogpile.com search of SB40 reveals a top result of "Girmi Kitchen Appliances.")

Anyway, on to the beer.... There's mention of champagne flutes on the bottle- so dangit, that's what it's going into- the lone surviving flute after an unfortunate bout with gravity in my kitchen. I never used the bloody things- so I'm really more broken up about the lip of the bowl onto which a flute fell.

Anyway...as I was saying...on to the beer...

Pours a darker peach-caramel colour, with a head that's just the pink side of white. The two-finger head sticks around, with marger 'merger' bubbles giving way to big empty cavities when they perish. Hmmm...there's a 'head decay' dental joke in that, but you can make it on your own.

The aroma leaps out of the glass on the pour. (Crouching fruit, hidden maltiness....) It's an airy slightly spicy kind of raspberry, but with a sweet soul that hugs you like your mama when you haven't seen her for months. There's some malt there, but it's hidden behind the raspberry bushes, like naughty teens on a weekend pass from boarding school.

The flavour is just not as great as the look and smell. There's no real fruitiness there, at least none you can find when you're dodging an overwhelming bitterness. It actually starts a bit medicinal, then the bitterness hits you, and you can't shake it even in the aftertaste. It's not a hop bitterness, It's a huge earthy, dry yet sticky bitterness. I'm hoping I just got an off bottle. I'll have to give it a try again sometime to see.

Mouthfeel is somewhat more watery than I'd like- but not yet 'last reel of 'Titanic'' watery. (Dear God, I had to pee so badly, I was regretting not walking out on that film earlier...Can you say "waste of celluloid", boys and girls? I say we substitute the word 'travesty' for the word 'Oscar'.)

Anyway, back to the glass...

Drinkability is below average, if for no other reason than the huge bitter bomb that was hiding in this bottle, like Barbara Eden when she starred opposite Dick York.

Be well
-UF

UncleFlip, Apr 10, 2006
2.68/5  rDev -28.7%

Draught. Raspberry red color, with a non-pink foam. Artificial raspberry aroma, with zero lambic qualities to back up the fruit. Flavor is unbelievably sweet, not sour, with little other character besides raspberries. Thin body. Crappy, non-traditional lambic for Lindeman’s Framboise fans and pre-teens.

Crosling, Mar 17, 2006
3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

This is my first lambic, so I don't have anything to go on...

I could feel the pressure behind the cork - it really wanted to get out of the bottle! Just for fun, I allowed it to do just that, bouncing off the ceiling with a resounding high-pitched pop! It pours a ruby-amber with a fizzy, excitable cream colored head that fades immediately to a fluffy ring.

It's tough to rate the smell, because without any comparison what I'm smelling is wine and alcohol. It's far more complex than wine, though, so I know the malt and hops are doing something! Dark fruits, alcohol in many forms.

Similar taste. Sour, acidic dark fruits, alcohol. A little puckering... Is this fermented with brett? OH... DUH. Of course it is. So that's what that biting, horsey barnyard flavor is. Again, duh. With that in mind, there is little doubt that this is what a fruit lambic is probably supposed to taste like.

Cool, smooth on the tongue, with a slight warming from alcohol and a puckering from the sourness.

I wish I had a champagne flute for this; I'm drinking from my slimmest glass but I can't help but think that tall and thin would be better.

Tupperwolf, Mar 01, 2006
3.38/5  rDev -10.1%

I always enjoy framboise, so was happy to try this one. My pour was a hazy tea color with a ting of henna. There was a wisp of raspberry aroma in the air. Tastewise, definitely raspberries, but I picked up on a bit of concord grapes in the taste as well. Interesting contrast, and I appreciated the complexity. Definite dry finish with noticeable tannins.

PatandDavid, Feb 27, 2006
4.03/5  rDev +7.2%

The beer is a rich amber color with a pinkish head.

It smells very much like raspberry puree with a sour Lambic background. The fruitiness dominates though.

The beer tastes very much of raspberries with a little tartness in the background. Rather sweet.

The mouthfeel: lightly carbonated with a medium body.

This is quite a drinkable beer. A touch sweet for my taste, but I don't regret buying it in the least.

maggotbrain, Feb 27, 2006
3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

Nice burgundy color, but with only a faint bit of froth on top. Aroma of tart raspberries and wild yeast present, with a mild smell of alcohol. Taste is strong, initially I notice sweet raspberry flavor on the front of the tongue, which becomes slightly tart, but not overdone. Alcohol is somewhat evident in finish, but doesn't affect the drinkability. Very bubbly, and feels slightly thin on the palate. I felt this was more drinkable than many other lambics as the sourness was not as overpowering as I could have been. I was able to enjoy it without being turned off by any overly strong flavors...

bennetj17, Feb 23, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +5.9%

Sampled on Day 1 at the Lucky Baldwin’s 7th Annual Belgium Beer Festival.

Beer Listed at #13 of 60: Framboise Oud Beersel

I don’t recall ever seeing a Framboise from the many visits to Oud Beersel Café that I had over the years, so I’m pretty sure that this can be called a new introduction by Frank Boon, albeit for the Oud Beersel range that he is now producing.

Came in a goblet, looked like the raspberry extract from those cheap Wine-brew kits. Murky purple body with a good looking pink head, sadly the ringed bubbly foam cap disappears all too quickly. Keen raspberry nose, dry and juice like, it projects a fruity aroma that is attractive. Taste is dominated by the raspberry flavors. Mild sharpness and a balancing sweetness, but neither overtakes the raspberry extract feel. Not much in the way of any of the lambic base, if indeed it even has one, you could be forgiven for thinking it has none! Yet having said all that this does work extremely well and the result is a nice Framboise that is more of a fruit-beer than a fruit-lambic. This errs just far enough away from the sweeter versions to make it a nice easy going drink. I could easily manage a couple of Glasses of this one.

Not bad at all, but if anything it lacks a little funky tartness that I suspect the Oud Beersel drinkers would wish to see.

TheLongBeachBum, Feb 20, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +15.2%

Tasted at Lucky Baldwin's Belgian Beer Festival in Pasadena, CA on Feb 18, 2006. $3.00 for a 6-8 oz. "taster" in a fluted glass.

Let me start off by saying that I am not a big fan of fruit flavored lambics. I've tried the ultra sweet ones (e.g., Lindemans) and the ultra pucker ones (e.g., Cantillon) and they were OK, had their good points and bad, I could appreciate what they had done, but overall, I have yet to find any that I really just enjoyed sitting there and drinking. Well, I finally found one. Fresh raspberries, but in a subtle, toned down way that allows the beery lambic to also be present. Not overly sour, but enough sour to keep it from being boring. I liked it so much I wanted to try it again today, but it was already gone, finished off on the first day of a 2 week festival.

Dukeofearl, Feb 19, 2006
4.15/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

On tap at Max's in Baltimore for the "72 hours of Belgium" fest. $6 for a chalice.

Nice bright fruity red lambic color. No head at all.

Smell? Well, I was in a smokey bar. No real discernable scent. I'm sure it smells good in different circumstances.

Great, fascinating taste. Almost...grapefruity? Kind of has this grapefruit soda taste and mouthfeel to it. Very interesting. Not sour, mostly just tart. Extremely refreshing and invigorating.

I'd love to have it again! Hopefully next time out of a bottle, just to see what's different.

chOAKbarrell, Feb 18, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +8.5%

Had this lambic on tap at the Brick Store in Decatur, GA. It pours a slightly cloudy amber color with a heavy pinkish tinge to it. The head is over 1” thick and lasts throughout the session. The smell is grassy with a bit of raspberry thrown in. I can already tell by the smell that this is more of a traditional lambic. The taste proves it, it isn’t over the top sweet. It has a good sweet-sour balance and the raspberries are not overpowering. One of the best lambics that I’ve had so far.

TheEclecticGent, Feb 11, 2006
3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

I found this beer at a local international market called Jungle Jim's, located in Cincinnati. I'd always wanted to try a fruity beer, so I figured this was a good opportunity.

Appearance - It poured a nice dark reddish color with hints of brown into a 20oz mug with roughly two finger widths of head at the top.

Smell - You can definitely get a fruity scent. It's not necessarily a distinctive raspberry, but a mix of maybe that and cherry or strawberry. Either way, I found it quite appealing.

Taste - This is probably the sweetest beer I've ever had. My roommate remarked that he wasn't even sure it should be called a beer because it was so sweet, but it was still a pretty enjoyable sensation. It almost reminded me of a very sweet cider at first but then you could definitely taste the raspberries.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth with light carbonation.

Drinkability - This isn't a beer I would be able to drink throughout a night, but just sitting down to enjoy a drink or two with this is definitely a good possibility.

mherring, Feb 01, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +17.8%

The beer eructs for the 375ml green bottle into my snifter glass a limpid deep red with a decorous creamy light pinkish head that after its dematerialization leaves a fragile sheet of lace to enshroud the glass. Nose has a delicate sweet aroma of raspberries, with a nice tart background, a real foreshadowing of things to come; start is sweet, with a pleasant feel to the palate. Finish is sturdy in its acidity, the raspberries quite evident, and the aftertaste a tart dry that makes you pucker a bit, but what a treat, and to think at one time I disliked Lambic’s

Gusler, Jan 29, 2006
3.58/5  rDev -4.8%

This beer is served on tap, it sits with a frothy thin tan head in my tulip glass. It is pretty darn clear with a rich amber color; it is dark enough that I can barely see through it. The aroma is a fruity mix of raspberry pulp and skins, it is tart, but in a raspberry sort of way, not in the typical Lambic fashion, and the beer is hardly funky at all. As the beer warms up the aroma seems to pick up note that make me think of fermented prunes.

The beer is served quite cold, but my first impressions is that the beer is tart and acidic, but quite a bit softer than a Cantillon product. Thankfully the beer is not sweet at all, this allows the raspberry flavor to be somewhat restrained and not so dominant. This is really a clean Lambic; tart sure thing, but it is missing that depth of complexity and funky barnyard / Farmhouse character that one expects in a good Lambic.

As the beer warms up the mouthfeel becomes fuller and more tannic (think raspberry skins). This is a nice quaffable fruit beer; not sweet either so none of that horrible sweet raspberry flavor is present. Definitely a good session beer. It does not reach contemplative though; a good Lambic, in my mind, is incredibly complex (this one isn't), yet at the same time eminently quaffable and thirst quenching (this one is).

Gueuzedude, Oct 10, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +11.2%

From notes. Poured a clear, brilliant red color with no head over top. Absolutely beautiful beer. Nose was full of brilliant raspberry aroma and just a slight sourness. It smells good. I'd like a touch more sour, but it still smelled great. Flavor was big in sweet raspberry, with just a touch of sourness. Very nice. The feel was moderate wtih a light carbonation...right where I expected it. Overall, a really really nice beer. I'd really like a touch more sourness, but I won't complain. It was good.

kmpitz2, Sep 28, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +12.2%

This is truly an amazing lambic. Pours a solid brown color with orange highlights and a slight frothy head. The smell is extremely difficult to describe but I'd say earthy, musty, raw yet somehow refined with a strong but not overwhelming raspberry presence.

Taste is tart and sour (and then some) but well supported by a strong raspberry presence. Amazing how this is accomplished without making it sweet. Overall this is a unique, highly desireable lambic. I thoroughly enjoyed this particulary as the lambic 'warmed up'.

cracker, Aug 14, 2005