Oud Beersel Framboise - Brouwerij Oud Beersel

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: cracker on 08-14-2005

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last
2.7/5  rDev -29.1%

Draught. Raspberry red color, with a non-pink foam. Artificial raspberry aroma, with zero lambic qualities to back up the fruit. Flavor is unbelievably sweet, not sour, with little other character besides raspberries. Thin body. Crappy, non-traditional lambic for Lindeman’s Framboise fans and pre-teens. (305 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

This is my first lambic, so I don't have anything to go on...

I could feel the pressure behind the cork - it really wanted to get out of the bottle! Just for fun, I allowed it to do just that, bouncing off the ceiling with a resounding high-pitched pop! It pours a ruby-amber with a fizzy, excitable cream colored head that fades immediately to a fluffy ring.

It's tough to rate the smell, because without any comparison what I'm smelling is wine and alcohol. It's far more complex than wine, though, so I know the malt and hops are doing something! Dark fruits, alcohol in many forms.

Similar taste. Sour, acidic dark fruits, alcohol. A little puckering... Is this fermented with brett? OH... DUH. Of course it is. So that's what that biting, horsey barnyard flavor is. Again, duh. With that in mind, there is little doubt that this is what a fruit lambic is probably supposed to taste like.

Cool, smooth on the tongue, with a slight warming from alcohol and a puckering from the sourness.

I wish I had a champagne flute for this; I'm drinking from my slimmest glass but I can't help but think that tall and thin would be better. (1,146 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -12.1%

I always enjoy framboise, so was happy to try this one. My pour was a hazy tea color with a ting of henna. There was a wisp of raspberry aroma in the air. Tastewise, definitely raspberries, but I picked up on a bit of concord grapes in the taste as well. Interesting contrast, and I appreciated the complexity. Definite dry finish with noticeable tannins. (355 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

The beer is a rich amber color with a pinkish head.

It smells very much like raspberry puree with a sour Lambic background. The fruitiness dominates though.

The beer tastes very much of raspberries with a little tartness in the background. Rather sweet.

The mouthfeel: lightly carbonated with a medium body.

This is quite a drinkable beer. A touch sweet for my taste, but I don't regret buying it in the least. (423 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

Nice burgundy color, but with only a faint bit of froth on top. Aroma of tart raspberries and wild yeast present, with a mild smell of alcohol. Taste is strong, initially I notice sweet raspberry flavor on the front of the tongue, which becomes slightly tart, but not overdone. Alcohol is somewhat evident in finish, but doesn't affect the drinkability. Very bubbly, and feels slightly thin on the palate. I felt this was more drinkable than many other lambics as the sourness was not as overpowering as I could have been. I was able to enjoy it without being turned off by any overly strong flavors... (602 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +4.2%

Sampled on Day 1 at the Lucky Baldwin’s 7th Annual Belgium Beer Festival.

Beer Listed at #13 of 60: Framboise Oud Beersel

I don’t recall ever seeing a Framboise from the many visits to Oud Beersel Café that I had over the years, so I’m pretty sure that this can be called a new introduction by Frank Boon, albeit for the Oud Beersel range that he is now producing.

Came in a goblet, looked like the raspberry extract from those cheap Wine-brew kits. Murky purple body with a good looking pink head, sadly the ringed bubbly foam cap disappears all too quickly. Keen raspberry nose, dry and juice like, it projects a fruity aroma that is attractive. Taste is dominated by the raspberry flavors. Mild sharpness and a balancing sweetness, but neither overtakes the raspberry extract feel. Not much in the way of any of the lambic base, if indeed it even has one, you could be forgiven for thinking it has none! Yet having said all that this does work extremely well and the result is a nice Framboise that is more of a fruit-beer than a fruit-lambic. This errs just far enough away from the sweeter versions to make it a nice easy going drink. I could easily manage a couple of Glasses of this one.

Not bad at all, but if anything it lacks a little funky tartness that I suspect the Oud Beersel drinkers would wish to see. (1,337 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%

Tasted at Lucky Baldwin's Belgian Beer Festival in Pasadena, CA on Feb 18, 2006. $3.00 for a 6-8 oz. "taster" in a fluted glass.

Let me start off by saying that I am not a big fan of fruit flavored lambics. I've tried the ultra sweet ones (e.g., Lindemans) and the ultra pucker ones (e.g., Cantillon) and they were OK, had their good points and bad, I could appreciate what they had done, but overall, I have yet to find any that I really just enjoyed sitting there and drinking. Well, I finally found one. Fresh raspberries, but in a subtle, toned down way that allows the beery lambic to also be present. Not overly sour, but enough sour to keep it from being boring. I liked it so much I wanted to try it again today, but it was already gone, finished off on the first day of a 2 week festival. (798 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

On tap at Max's in Baltimore for the "72 hours of Belgium" fest. $6 for a chalice.

Nice bright fruity red lambic color. No head at all.

Smell? Well, I was in a smokey bar. No real discernable scent. I'm sure it smells good in different circumstances.

Great, fascinating taste. Almost...grapefruity? Kind of has this grapefruit soda taste and mouthfeel to it. Very interesting. Not sour, mostly just tart. Extremely refreshing and invigorating.

I'd love to have it again! Hopefully next time out of a bottle, just to see what's different. (549 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +6.8%

Had this lambic on tap at the Brick Store in Decatur, GA. It pours a slightly cloudy amber color with a heavy pinkish tinge to it. The head is over 1” thick and lasts throughout the session. The smell is grassy with a bit of raspberry thrown in. I can already tell by the smell that this is more of a traditional lambic. The taste proves it, it isn’t over the top sweet. It has a good sweet-sour balance and the raspberries are not overpowering. One of the best lambics that I’ve had so far. (494 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -2.9%

I found this beer at a local international market called Jungle Jim's, located in Cincinnati. I'd always wanted to try a fruity beer, so I figured this was a good opportunity.

Appearance - It poured a nice dark reddish color with hints of brown into a 20oz mug with roughly two finger widths of head at the top.

Smell - You can definitely get a fruity scent. It's not necessarily a distinctive raspberry, but a mix of maybe that and cherry or strawberry. Either way, I found it quite appealing.

Taste - This is probably the sweetest beer I've ever had. My roommate remarked that he wasn't even sure it should be called a beer because it was so sweet, but it was still a pretty enjoyable sensation. It almost reminded me of a very sweet cider at first but then you could definitely taste the raspberries.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth with light carbonation.

Drinkability - This isn't a beer I would be able to drink throughout a night, but just sitting down to enjoy a drink or two with this is definitely a good possibility. (1,034 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +16%

The beer eructs for the 375ml green bottle into my snifter glass a limpid deep red with a decorous creamy light pinkish head that after its dematerialization leaves a fragile sheet of lace to enshroud the glass. Nose has a delicate sweet aroma of raspberries, with a nice tart background, a real foreshadowing of things to come; start is sweet, with a pleasant feel to the palate. Finish is sturdy in its acidity, the raspberries quite evident, and the aftertaste a tart dry that makes you pucker a bit, but what a treat, and to think at one time I disliked Lambic’s (567 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -6%

This beer is served on tap, it sits with a frothy thin tan head in my tulip glass. It is pretty darn clear with a rich amber color; it is dark enough that I can barely see through it. The aroma is a fruity mix of raspberry pulp and skins, it is tart, but in a raspberry sort of way, not in the typical Lambic fashion, and the beer is hardly funky at all. As the beer warms up the aroma seems to pick up note that make me think of fermented prunes.

The beer is served quite cold, but my first impressions is that the beer is tart and acidic, but quite a bit softer than a Cantillon product. Thankfully the beer is not sweet at all, this allows the raspberry flavor to be somewhat restrained and not so dominant. This is really a clean Lambic; tart sure thing, but it is missing that depth of complexity and funky barnyard / Farmhouse character that one expects in a good Lambic.

As the beer warms up the mouthfeel becomes fuller and more tannic (think raspberry skins). This is a nice quaffable fruit beer; not sweet either so none of that horrible sweet raspberry flavor is present. Definitely a good session beer. It does not reach contemplative though; a good Lambic, in my mind, is incredibly complex (this one isn't), yet at the same time eminently quaffable and thirst quenching (this one is). (1,304 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +9.7%

From notes. Poured a clear, brilliant red color with no head over top. Absolutely beautiful beer. Nose was full of brilliant raspberry aroma and just a slight sourness. It smells good. I'd like a touch more sour, but it still smelled great. Flavor was big in sweet raspberry, with just a touch of sourness. Very nice. The feel was moderate wtih a light carbonation...right where I expected it. Overall, a really really nice beer. I'd really like a touch more sourness, but I won't complain. It was good. (503 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

This is truly an amazing lambic. Pours a solid brown color with orange highlights and a slight frothy head. The smell is extremely difficult to describe but I'd say earthy, musty, raw yet somehow refined with a strong but not overwhelming raspberry presence.

Taste is tart and sour (and then some) but well supported by a strong raspberry presence. Amazing how this is accomplished without making it sweet. Overall this is a unique, highly desireable lambic. I thoroughly enjoyed this particulary as the lambic 'warmed up'. (527 characters)

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last