Oud Beersel Oude Geuze Vieille - Brouwerij Oud Beersel

Oud Beersel Oude Geuze VieilleOud Beersel Oude Geuze Vieille

Brouwerij Oud Beersel visit their website

Gueuze |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: xlperro on 03-21-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oud Beersel Oude Geuze Vieille Alström Bros

Ode to an Oud (or is that Oude?)

I have been enjoying the Gueuze (geuze?) style for about 2 years now, and I have tried many of the major examples. All (IMHO) are very good, but for some reason, this lovely one has always meant the most to me. So to my last bottle (best by 2073!), the one I have been saving for a long time, in hopes of finding more, I dedicate this review with my first 5.0 across the board.

Because what is a 5.0? To me, it means that it is as good as it gets, the reviewer enjoys all aspects of it, the drinker (that would be me) does nothing but look forward to that specific beer. And ladies and gentlemen (and the rest of you too), this beer meets all of those criteria. We have a winner!

And therefore, instead of a left-brained, annotated dedicated and ultimately emasculated analytical review, all I can say is that I love this beer. I have given up hope of seeing this beer again, perhaps I will on my next trip to Belgium or at some wild BA convention, and that will be a fine day. But until then, I have my memories of my Sunday afternoon gueuze...

4.97/5  rDev +23.6%

Preserved lemons and ceviche mingle with fresh mown grass and green peanuts. Who cares what it looks like? You won't even see it it drains so quick.

It's tangy, it's earthy, it's like sliding down a muddy chute through a mountainside lime orchard into a saline sea while unbelievers throw small granite stones at your nostrils. How do you describe this? A pile of Granny Smith peels and hazelnut skins on a wet dog. I love it!

4.97/5  rDev +23.6%

I find this to be an incredibly wonderful gueuze, flavourful and complex, with the elements marrying and interplaying wonderfully.

Golden, it has a huge off-white head steadily shrinking to lasting foamy top and leaving just a little bit of lace.

Aroma is extremely nice, full and characterful with plenty of funky/rustic character but very pleasant. It has a strong rustic yeasty character, but restrained, with lemon, pear, fruit, hint of vinegar and soured fruits, hints of herb & grass.

Taste is excellent, fruity, yeasty, funky and rustic, lemony a bit citric, slightly tart, hint of spiciness and yeasty dough, plus more that is hard to pin down. The character is very complex and well-balanced and integrated. Full of flavour, it is nevertheless exceedingly drinkable. Fell is lively and the whole thing is very engaging.

4.9/5  rDev +21.9%

4.85/5  rDev +20.6%

Green mini-champagne bottle into snifter. Best before date: 1/27/25

Nose: Serious apples and mustiness. LIne an old cider house. Definitely funky.

Appearance: Light amber. Nice frothy head with decent retention. Quite hazy.

Taste: Very tart and very dry. Definitely barnyardy. White-wine like sourness. Deep, fungal earthy tones. Smooth, but lively feel. Despite funky, "wild" taste, very well balanced.

Overall: This is my first real venture in guezes and spontaneous fermentation. I was blown away.

4.83/5  rDev +20.1%

I'm in heaven, I'm in heaven...

I drank this at 58 F.

I love these naturally fermented brews.
Poured golden cloud. Beautiful light foam that fizzled and frothed to a huge clingy head.

Smells like parfait of fresh pears, roses, sour cherries, starfruit, orange zest, in sour yeasty oak. Love that special 'B' (Belgian) aroma; it's funky which is code for farm odors.

Dry; bites on the bitter sides of my tongue. Tannin>fruit wood. Lime zest, sour cherries; runs tart to bitter. It's splendid and sparkling. It's effervescent. It's sour with very little sweet, like a trickle of sour juice. There's definite horse'ness' that gets stronger as it warms. Let it warm. Oh, how good it would be with a sausage, cheese and levain bread platter with mustard and barrel-aged kraut.

4.78/5  rDev +18.9%

purchased at merchants for $5.49...best before June 14, 2022

ash yellow...not too noisy as it settles, but the foam threatens to run out onto my keyboard and I have to shunt it into my gob.

The smell is divine. I guess I love wild yeast. It reminds me of clear tissue-papery green apples hanging from a flavor-mobile with sunlight passing through...emerald shimmering and so sour and dry. There's an extract of yellow-dusted hop buds too, which doesn't help the sweetness at all. Cat-scratch acidity, dander and capers define the palate and keeps the malt from arriving.
Great with pickled oysters, lemon-brined smelt or cranberry/nettle-stuffed pigeon.

4.76/5  rDev +18.4%

4.75/5  rDev +18.2%

A - Pours brilliant gold with a slight haze. Big mountainous head like fresh whipping cream, leaving behind damn near perfect lacing.
S - This particular bottle was slightly lightstruck, as happens quite often to this amazing beer, thanks to the stupid green glass. That aside, you can definitely detect notes of not-quite-ripe pear, perhaps a touch of white pepper, and just the right amount of goaty funk.
T - Oh, so amazing! Crabapple, unripe pear, a touch of lemon juice - maybe even lemon juice concentrate. Spice-pepper notes are there as well, along with a distinct flavor reminicent of sour patch kids!
M - Nice effervescence - dances on the tongue... best way to describe it: it pops. Lingering aftertaste complemented by just the right amount of pucker.
D - I could live off this, but I'm biased by my complete adoration for this style. Regardless, this is a brilliantly complex, easy-drinking brew that I could revisit any day of the week... but it's extra special when I have it as an occasional treat. I'm thinking some kind of shellfish - perhaps mussels with leeks, a touch of curry, ginger and white pepper. Or maybe a dessert of some sort - lemon poundcake with an apricot marmalade? Damn, I'm hungry now too!

4.75/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Aroma - Lightly tart sour aroma with lots of delectable farmhouse funkitude. Some citrusy fruits (apple and pear) and even some honey as it warms and opens up a little. No hop aroma.

Appearance - Medium-light gold in color. Cloudy from carbonation. Thin but persistent brilliant white foamy head.

Flavor - Light and refreshing tartness balanced by a light honey-wheat flavor and just a hint of bready malt backbone. Sourness is ever-present but not at all overwhelming.

Mouthfeel - Medium sour with a surprisingly smooth finish. High carbonation.

Overall - A light, refreshing and overall delightful farmhouse ale.

Oud Beersel Oude Geuze Vieille from Brouwerij Oud Beersel