2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Oud Beersel Oude Geuze Vieille - Brouwerij Oud Beersel

Oud Beersel Oude Geuze VieilleOud Beersel Oude Geuze Vieille

Brouwerij Oud Beersel visit their website

Gueuze |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: xlperro on 03-21-2002)
View: Beers (11) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oud Beersel Oude Geuze Vieille Alström Bros
Ratings: 661 | Reviews: 394 | Show All Ratings:
Dukeofearl

Ode to an Oud (or is that Oude?)

I have been enjoying the Gueuze (geuze?) style for about 2 years now, and I have tried many of the major examples. All (IMHO) are very good, but for some reason, this lovely one has always meant the most to me. So to my last bottle (best by 2073!), the one I have been saving for a long time, in hopes of finding more, I dedicate this review with my first 5.0 across the board.

Because what is a 5.0? To me, it means that it is as good as it gets, the reviewer enjoys all aspects of it, the drinker (that would be me) does nothing but look forward to that specific beer. And ladies and gentlemen (and the rest of you too), this beer meets all of those criteria. We have a winner!

And therefore, instead of a left-brained, annotated dedicated and ultimately emasculated analytical review, all I can say is that I love this beer. I have given up hope of seeing this beer again, perhaps I will on my next trip to Belgium or at some wild BA convention, and that will be a fine day. But until then, I have my memories of my Sunday afternoon gueuze...

07-30-2006 18:03:49 | More by Dukeofearl
inebrius

4.97/5  rDev +23.9%

Preserved lemons and ceviche mingle with fresh mown grass and green peanuts. Who cares what it looks like? You won't even see it it drains so quick.

It's tangy, it's earthy, it's like sliding down a muddy chute through a mountainside lime orchard into a saline sea while unbelievers throw small granite stones at your nostrils. How do you describe this? A pile of Granny Smith peels and hazelnut skins on a wet dog. I love it!

07-31-2004 02:07:29 | More by inebrius
Offa

4.97/5  rDev +23.9%

I find this to be an incredibly wonderful gueuze, flavourful and complex, with the elements marrying and interplaying wonderfully.

Golden, it has a huge off-white head steadily shrinking to lasting foamy top and leaving just a little bit of lace.

Aroma is extremely nice, full and characterful with plenty of funky/rustic character but very pleasant. It has a strong rustic yeasty character, but restrained, with lemon, pear, fruit, hint of vinegar and soured fruits, hints of herb & grass.

Taste is excellent, fruity, yeasty, funky and rustic, lemony a bit citric, slightly tart, hint of spiciness and yeasty dough, plus more that is hard to pin down. The character is very complex and well-balanced and integrated. Full of flavour, it is nevertheless exceedingly drinkable. Fell is lively and the whole thing is very engaging.

11-29-2010 22:23:35 | More by Offa
sjverla

4.85/5  rDev +20.9%

Green mini-champagne bottle into snifter. Best before date: 1/27/25

Nose: Serious apples and mustiness. LIne an old cider house. Definitely funky.

Appearance: Light amber. Nice frothy head with decent retention. Quite hazy.

Taste: Very tart and very dry. Definitely barnyardy. White-wine like sourness. Deep, fungal earthy tones. Smooth, but lively feel. Despite funky, "wild" taste, very well balanced.

Overall: This is my first real venture in guezes and spontaneous fermentation. I was blown away.

12-01-2011 02:20:37 | More by sjverla
gbontrag

Colorado

4.83/5  rDev +20.4%

I'm in heaven, I'm in heaven...

I drank this at 58 F.

I love these naturally fermented brews.
Poured golden cloud. Beautiful light foam that fizzled and frothed to a huge clingy head.

Smells like parfait of fresh pears, roses, sour cherries, starfruit, orange zest, in sour yeasty oak. Love that special 'B' (Belgian) aroma; it's funky which is code for farm odors.

Dry; bites on the bitter sides of my tongue. Tannin>fruit wood. Lime zest, sour cherries; runs tart to bitter. It's splendid and sparkling. It's effervescent. It's sour with very little sweet, like a trickle of sour juice. There's definite horse'ness' that gets stronger as it warms. Let it warm. Oh, how good it would be with a sausage, cheese and levain bread platter with mustard and barrel-aged kraut.

10-03-2004 06:08:19 | More by gbontrag
putnam

4.78/5  rDev +19.2%

purchased at merchants for $5.49...best before June 14, 2022

ash yellow...not too noisy as it settles, but the foam threatens to run out onto my keyboard and I have to shunt it into my gob.

The smell is divine. I guess I love wild yeast. It reminds me of clear tissue-papery green apples hanging from a flavor-mobile with sunlight passing through...emerald shimmering and so sour and dry. There's an extract of yellow-dusted hop buds too, which doesn't help the sweetness at all. Cat-scratch acidity, dander and capers define the palate and keeps the malt from arriving.
Great with pickled oysters, lemon-brined smelt or cranberry/nettle-stuffed pigeon.

08-12-2003 00:43:59 | More by putnam
arcadiajon

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

A - Pours brilliant gold with a slight haze. Big mountainous head like fresh whipping cream, leaving behind damn near perfect lacing.
S - This particular bottle was slightly lightstruck, as happens quite often to this amazing beer, thanks to the stupid green glass. That aside, you can definitely detect notes of not-quite-ripe pear, perhaps a touch of white pepper, and just the right amount of goaty funk.
T - Oh, so amazing! Crabapple, unripe pear, a touch of lemon juice - maybe even lemon juice concentrate. Spice-pepper notes are there as well, along with a distinct flavor reminicent of sour patch kids!
M - Nice effervescence - dances on the tongue... best way to describe it: it pops. Lingering aftertaste complemented by just the right amount of pucker.
D - I could live off this, but I'm biased by my complete adoration for this style. Regardless, this is a brilliantly complex, easy-drinking brew that I could revisit any day of the week... but it's extra special when I have it as an occasional treat. I'm thinking some kind of shellfish - perhaps mussels with leeks, a touch of curry, ginger and white pepper. Or maybe a dessert of some sort - lemon poundcake with an apricot marmalade? Damn, I'm hungry now too!

07-10-2009 14:00:23 | More by arcadiajon
NickBus

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Aroma - Lightly tart sour aroma with lots of delectable farmhouse funkitude. Some citrusy fruits (apple and pear) and even some honey as it warms and opens up a little. No hop aroma.

Appearance - Medium-light gold in color. Cloudy from carbonation. Thin but persistent brilliant white foamy head.

Flavor - Light and refreshing tartness balanced by a light honey-wheat flavor and just a hint of bready malt backbone. Sourness is ever-present but not at all overwhelming.

Mouthfeel - Medium sour with a surprisingly smooth finish. High carbonation.

Overall - A light, refreshing and overall delightful farmhouse ale.

01-20-2013 21:21:56 | More by NickBus
dmarch

4.72/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Upright, on it's side, just drink it dammit. I chose the latter. The cork exploded out of the bottle. Pours a hazy orange-gold color with a lot of carbonation. Tastes of sour apple and oranges with the tartness you would expect from a lambic. Absolutely wonderfull.

11-17-2003 22:30:22 | More by dmarch
CAMRAhardliner

Ontario (Canada)

4.72/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

375 ML corked and caged bottle. The BB date is 2023, which is humorous.

Pours a hazy light orange color with a sizable head. Head retention is excellent and lacing is average. The aroma is sour, acidic and grassy, though sweeter than Trois Fountaines or Girardin gueuze. The taste is pure sharp acidity with a musty horse blanket feel and plenty of sourness. Theres also a strong lemony citrus taste. The mouthfeel is smooth and very tingly (from lambic yeast as well as tonnes of carb). This beer is eminently drinkable. Its a classic gueuze.

Gueuze is the best style of beer in the world IMHO, and this is a very good one.

09-03-2004 04:26:28 | More by CAMRAhardliner
gueuzer

Colorado

4.68/5  rDev +16.7%

2002 vintage. Last of the great ones from Oud Beersel blended by the Vanderveldans. These notes do not apply to current product sold under this name.

App- Straw colored with a slight haze. Nice one finger white head.

Sm- Lactic astringency followed with subtle notes of horse blanket and funk. Slight belgian phenols in the background.

Ta- Tons of fruit: lemons, pineapples, kiwis and green apples. A subtle note o f acetic tang to bring up the complexity. Musty cobwebs and funk lingering in the finish.

Ov- Wonderful balance. A truly elegant gueuze that has aged gracefully.

09-22-2011 01:34:57 | More by gueuzer
Gueuzedude

Arizona

4.65/5  rDev +16%

Best by date of 2073, Sampled October 2004
Can you spell salivate? Well god-damn I sure can. The cork forcefully explodes from this 375ml bottle as I try to take it out. The aromas are quite enticing and hypnotic as I pour this beer. The color is a rich clear copper color and is topped by a pale frothy head. The aroma is tart with notes of urea, white vinegar, grapefruit, a woodiness, slightly cheesy, dank musty cellars, and a wild mushroom character.

The taste is light, but quite delicious, with surprising notes of vanilla along with the sharp acidity and prickly carbonation. This beer has a really nice lemon component to it that makes me want to take repeated draughts of this elixir. This beer is bone dry and fully fermented like not ale or lager can imagine. I get notes of grapefruit, woody mushrooms, a hint of kiwi. This is a beer that will alter your bowels if consumed in quantity (I speak from multiple days of Brussels-Lambic-region experience on this one, so just trust me :-)

As this beer warms up and slowly loses its carbonation it becomes quite a bit softer, almost creamy, sort of seductive, yet quite a bit more woody, with a tannic interaction with my tongue.

What an intoxicating aroma, why am I so addicted to the aroma of a good Lambic, I don't know. but I could smell it for hours if it wasn't so satisfying to drink as well. I am so glad that I have a couple cases of this and the Kriek in my "cellar", this beer is going to continue to tickle my fancy as I slowly drink my way through its expiration date. I highly recommend picking up some of this on your next foray.

Sampled October 2003
A nice deep gold color, with amber notes to it. Fairly clear for a geuze. Well carbonated with a fairly persistent head, that stays with the beer until the end. Smells sour, woody, slightly of urea, lemony, with some musty mushroom character. The first impression of this Geuze is one of sourness with a hint of sweetness. Quite sharp tasting, it cuts through everything. Tastes of tannin and of hay fields (if that makes sense). The body is quite light and refreshing. As my mouth gets used to the acidity the taste softens, I get notes of citrus and slight alcohol, and lot of funky geuzeness. A very good beer, to bad it is no longer being made.

09-03-2003 16:24:25 | More by Gueuzedude
yinzer

4.65/5  rDev +16%

Bottle, best before 27.01.2025

appearance: Cloudy yellow/orange with generous head.

smell: Orange, grapefruit. Some funkiness but not as extreme as say Hanssens.

taste: Starts with a lite sweetness, then sour, fruity, with a tart finish. Not extreme complexity or barnyard, but a great Gueuze. I just might like to be hit over the head a bit more with the tart/smelly cheese aspects. I wouldn't argue with a 5.0 here.

mouthfeel: Full and lively.

drinkablilty: Typical for a top Gueuze. Small assaulting to the senses sips, always looking forward to the next.

01-01-2007 07:36:15 | More by yinzer
brdc

Wisconsin

4.6/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Large corked bottle, poured into a tulip. A very difficult cork, I might add. This one was kept laying down in my cellar at 55 F; unfortunately, the best by date has become blurred, so I really do not know.

Golden and clear, small frothy white head with short retention.
Strong barnyand funkiness opens the aroma, along with vinegar, leather, must, citric fruits, earth, wood and a few more that are harder to classify.
Light in body, very easy to drink and refreshing, fruity but dry, citric, acidic, tart.
Highly recommended.

08-27-2010 01:24:30 | More by brdc
goethean

4.58/5  rDev +14.2%

Cloudy straw color. aroma is wild, fresh, effervescent, inviting.

Flavor is beautifully light, transcendent, champagne-like, and yet bursting with flavor, including mild maltiness, light sweetness. A pleasant mild sourness. not vinegary.

Highly drinkable, especially for a gueuze.

04-08-2009 00:36:17 | More by goethean
Stinkypuss

4.58/5  rDev +14.2%

Oud Beersel Oude Geuze Vieille

375ml bottle. Appears a light golden color with a crackling head that recedes to a fine film on top. Clear golden ale.

A fine smelling Geuze with note soft lemon rind, straw, funk, and expressive wild yeast. The beer is almost breathing, and is definitely lively.

The Oud BeersfeL has a truly unique and characterful taste, very tart, sour, funky and drying. There is a mild barrel note apparent as well, but so much beer has been aged in them, it is quite faint. Also, a faint malted grain. Mostly, there's a sharp sourness, oaky tannins, soured lemon, and musty funk all screaming to the palate. As it warms, the barrel notes come out a bit more, and the sour is long lasting.

Sour, dry mouthfeel, with a very moreish finish. Sour notes linger through the sip and are faintly there for the duration of the experience.

The Oude Geueze Vieille is an incredible example of the style. Very lively flavors, done in accordance to tradition, since 1882. A fine, sophisticated sipper, I would recommend this beer to anyone with an open mind and a half hour to spare.

09-01-2011 06:22:06 | More by Stinkypuss
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.55/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

375 ml corked and caged bottle, best before Mar 30, 2031, bought online from Holiday Wine Cellar in CA for $10.99

I'm serving it near room temperature so there's a heck of lot of foam above the slightly hazy yellow orange liquid. Wow there's a ton of lacing.

The smell brings aromas of bitterness, tartness, funk, yeast, fruit, spice. Very inviting!

There's not much more that I can say for the taste as it reflects the smell to a T. More sour notes here than bitter, which I like, and it comes across to me as a very lemon zest type of tartness. The funky flavour is mixed in well with the fruity tones and is on the mild side. There are some hints of clove and white pepper but the beer really shines with how sour yet drinkable it is. Great stuff!

Up front, it has almost a full bodied feel but thins out towards the end; not a complaint as I prefer a medium to light body for the style. The carbonation is on the low end of medium and at a perfect level for my tastes.

This is one heck of a brew. I'm glad I sought it out..

01-01-2012 14:57:10 | More by Bitterbill
GJ40

4.54/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

My wife and I sampled this and Oud Beersel’s Oude Kriek Vieille and Framboise together. They were purchased at Bottle Revolution and Tasty Beverage in Raleigh.

A – Golden with great clarity and a big, fluffy white head and loads of rising bubbles. Great lacing too. Very lively and inviting.

S – A nice mix of fruits and funk.

T – A fantastic combination of tartness and funk. Very rich and complex.

M – A moderately high carbonation without being distracting. A smooth consistency.

O – Enjoyable from start to finish. This was my favorite of the three.

08-31-2013 16:53:50 | More by GJ40
marburg

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A very enjoyable lambic. Slightly hazed golden color with a dense white foam. The aroma is enormous and powerful; my mouth was completely watering before it ever got near my lips.

*pause* - The head is still there...staying and staying and staying...

Has the typical acidic, wild, nearly-rotten characteristics of many lambics. But this one seems a bit more restrained and perhaps balanced. The sour flavors I love so much are subdued ever-so-slightly, and the brew finishes with a bit more of a bitter flavor than all-out sourness. Very much a mellow lambic -- and very easy to consume. I had to hold myself back from really putting this down in a hurry.

08-25-2003 00:27:14 | More by marburg
Brewfan

Connecticut

4.53/5  rDev +13%

Cork and caged green bottle. Best by date embossed on back: 1/26/2025. I'll be getting some more of these to lay down for years to come.
Poured into my Rodenbach flute.

Crystal clear orangish/muted copper body with a strong white head that lasts throughout the beer. Very thick lace that clings in patches to the glass. Steady stream of carbonation rised from the bottom of the glass.

Smell of funky sourness, slight fruity tartness and some barnyard mustiness.
Crisp over-sour apple taste with very little vinigar bite. No hops, no malt. Not nearly as sour as Cantillon, but much more drinkable. Starts quite tart but becomes sweeter and more drinkable as the beer progresses.

Pleasantly crisp on the tongue. Finishes drier than it starts with some slight bitterness towards the end.
A+ in drinkability.

Very nice geuze, a style that I'm starting to explore more.

04-03-2007 15:24:08 | More by Brewfan
MCDuhamel

4.53/5  rDev +13%

Poured from a corked and caged 12.7 ounce bottle into a weizen glass at about 45 degrees.

Pours an enormous, dense head that never collapses. Liquor is dark straw and completely clear; it is a gorgeous pour. The nose is musty, earthy, and somewhat citrusy and spicey. The predominant flavor is the lambic tanginess, with a bit of lemon and a fair bit of funk. The beer is remarkably refreshing and very easy to drink, and seems quite light given its 6% abv.

This a an excellent gueze, and far superior to the "lambics" making their way into some of our grocery stores.

04-25-2010 21:59:49 | More by MCDuhamel
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

An amazing little gueuze. Nice earthy grassy, sour, acidic nose. Quite complex palate, with a lemony, grassy, earthy and mouth puckering sour palate. Also quite refreshing aswell, a very insane little brew, i liked it a lot.

08-23-2002 17:01:50 | More by rastaman
francisweizen

Arizona

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Corked and caged heavy glass bottle, 2002 vintage. The cork is removed and a deep, dark, golden liquid emerges. The head is thick, and white in colour. The aromas are great, and very gueuze like. Farmyard animals, horse blankets, skunks, wheat, tart non-fruity fruit, and more. The taste is very tart up front with a lovely sweet and sour middle and an everlasting finish. The mouthfeel is a bit thick for a gueuze, but it works well and the drinkability is excellent. Another excelletly authentic version of this lost style of brew!

03-08-2004 20:50:46 | More by francisweizen
HiroProtagonist

Maryland

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Oud Beersel Oud Gueuze was served from a 375ml green capped and corked bottle, with a “best by” date of 2022. The cork popped with force...pow! Poured into a Chimay chalice, the gueuze was a murky and glowing yellow-orange color and was topped by a thick, persistant, and fine off-white head that left blanket-like lacing. Vigouous carbonation was observed through the sides of the glass. The nose was moderately sour and lightly wooden, with notes of fermented apple cider and esters of granny smith apple. The taste spoke of a mature and wizened mellow oaky tartness, which held numerous deep and intriguing subtlties. Suggestions of must, oak, earth, sour apples, prevaded throughout...wonderful. It finished dry and quenching, with lingering sour apple peel notes. This beer was very fluffy and bouyant, which paired very well with the flavor profile. Mature and soft, yet deep and charismatic, this gueuze drank fantastically well. I could imagine drinking one of these daily after lunch. Big thanks to jcalbi for making this review possible.

03-09-2004 05:29:54 | More by HiroProtagonist
karst

Missouri

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Shultzerdugan has introduced me to many a fine Belgium. Recently the Piraat Ale, La Rulles Triple and Duinen Triple.

With the quiet exhale of carbonation the uncaged cork of Oud Beersel Oude Gueuze Vieille joined the list of Belgiums.

Pours a hazy golden orange with a clasic thick Belgium head. Ahhh Gueuze!

The globe 0.5 L. glass captures the aromas of a distant farmyard mixed with tart crabapples, lemon grass and hay.

Almost a champagne tingle from the carbonation. Grapefruit and apples with some lemon acidity become very astringent and fade to the distant farmyard funky dry finish.

I am saddened to learn that Oud Beersel - one of the smallest traditional producers in Beersel that may have closed its doors for good at the end of 2003. I hope that I am wrong but I can find no link to the brewery here.

08-14-2005 16:35:08 | More by karst