Oud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille - Brouwerij Oud Beersel

Oud Beersel Oude Kriek VieilleOud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille

Brouwerij Oud Beersel visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2002)
View: Beers (11) |  Events
Reviews by TXHops:
TXHops

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

6.5 % ABV

Since Oude Beersel is currently shut down, based on info provided by the esteemed TheLongBeachBum, I needed to make sure I got my hands on a bottle of the kriek while I was in Boston. This beer was clearly ready for me to review it, because before I even finished unwrapping the wire cage, the cork popped out and flew all the way to the other side of the room, after smashing into the ceiling. Oddly enough, the beer didn’t gush at all—just a Herculean pop. The strikingly beautiful hazy pink body coordinated dashingly with the light pink head of constantly-replenished foam. The tart aroma suggested brettanomyces and lactobacillus, as well as dirt, cranberries and leather: appetizing! Although the nose suggested that this was gonna be a sour beer (and I knew that going in as well) I was shocked, nay STUNNED by how sour this beer actually was. One sip forced my right eye to close entirely, while my left eye fought through tears to maintain a slit through which to stare in disbelief at the glass. The odd thing was, the beer didn’t start quite that sour. In fact, while the kriek was in the my mouth, I could taste tart fruit and sour Geueze, but I could also discern a hint of vanilla or oak. But as soon as I swallowed—SLAM! When the air touched the inside of my mouth and allowed the taste buds to think about what had happened to them, the reaction was quick and sudden. This beer literally took my breath away.

After a 10 minute reflective period that also served as an acclimation session for my palate, I was able to taste the fruit more clearly. The cherries really did take on sort of a cranberry character. I’ve never eaten a sour Belgian cherry, but I assume they don’t taste like Bings or Maraschinos ;). Still, the tartness is more reminiscent of the native swamp berry of the Northeastern US. The soft carbonation is very reminiscent of any other Belgian style beer (dubbel or tripel especially) and the licorice-like flavor that emerged late reminded me instantly of Orval. A bit of warmth resulted in very little dulling of Oude Kriek’s intensity. I was still shaking my head at the end of the bottle…

05-30-2003 20:32:06 | More by TXHops

06-29-2014 03:05:27 | More by NWHopinator
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

3.94/5  rDev -5.3%

750ml caged and corked, and rather dear around here Burgundian bottle. I wanted to say something relating this to the Belgian World Cup squad's group play, but I got nothin', despite their barely-contested success. Oh look, I just did!

This beer pours a murky, dark pink-tinged red brick amber hue, with three pudgy fingers of weakly puffy, tightly foamy, and rather caked pale magenta head, which leaves but a few disparate specks of wayward lace around the glass as it genially abates.

It smells of tart white wine vinegar, deconstructed cherries, i.e. the acids sans the fleshy fruit, a prominent farmhouse funkiness, milk that has undergone the same treatment as the aforementioned cherries, plain, gritty pale and wheat malt, and a grainy woodiness that is more evocative of dust than barrels at this stage. The taste is tart, but not overly so, cherries, a mild, indistinct funk, more musty, dusty farmhouse notes, understated grainy, wheaty, er, 'malt' essences, a hint of pulpy nuts, a rising oaken astringency, quite subdued savoury spice, and mildew-esque weedy, herbal hops.

The carbonation is on the light side, and generally frothy in its bearing, the body an agreeable enough medium weight, and so-so in its acetic acid-tinged smoothness. It finishes barely off-dry, the strained fruitiness and heretofore battered malt putting 'em up for one last thrashing.

A decent enough denuded fruit lambic, a la Cantillon and their lot, wherein the guest fruit is only represented in its most basic form - one best appreciated by yer average high school chemistry student, I would proffer. Given that I aced that class (20 or so years ago), I suppose that I have just the right credentials to proclaim this a success, inasmuch as I have any clue what they're actually trying to achieve. Overall, this is something that I could not really justify outside of this particular Belgian ale context, I'm afraid to say too loudly.

06-27-2014 05:03:45 | More by biboergosum
Ozzylizard

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

Best by 18-04-2032 at 50 degrees into standard pint; when I removed the cage, the cork popped out
Aroma cherry
Head large (5 cm), pink, creamy/fizzy, rapidly diminishing to a fizzy 4 mm layer
Lacing - none
Body –deep purple, opaque
Flavor totally sour cherries; no alcohol, no hops, no diacetyl; the sourness fades as the end nears
Palate medium, creamy, lively carbonation

06-26-2014 22:04:47 | More by Ozzylizard