Oud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille - Brouwerij Oud Beersel

Oud Beersel Oude Kriek VieilleOud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille

Brouwerij Oud Beersel visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2002)
View: Beers (11) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille Alström Bros
lecoupdejarnac

07-18-2012 04:16:40 | More by lecoupdejarnac
devlishdamsel

Washington

This is the quintessential Kriek. Having been a Kriek drinker for years that is really saying something. No it's not hyped like other beers, but it definitely deserves the highest praise. The problems with most other krieks ranges anywhere from a bold bitterness which results from the cherry pits to cloyingly sweet. The aging in the oak really rounded out and mellowed that flavor and this beer is fully attenuated so there is virtually no residual sweetness. The body is almost like velvet but still thin enough to make this beer insanely drinkable. Such a dark rich red color, its almost like a fine rose champagne, with the bubbles to match. The smell of vanilla oak and cherries hit. You drink in and are intoxicated with fresh juicy cherry essence. There is absolutely no trace of hotness in this beverage, you would think its alcohol free! the aftertaste is pleasant and sings of cherries. Perfection! I will be keeping this on stock as often as possible! Such a fine beverage.

06-11-2013 00:50:32 | More by devlishdamsel

01-10-2012 06:48:36 | More by ThirstyHerf
MikeytotheB

11-15-2011 00:55:24 | More by MikeytotheB
bs870621345

Wow, my first 5 beer. Picked this up at a new store, I think its over 5 years old, best by date of 21/12/2025. Was not properly cellared

Pours a clear deep ruby color with a redish pink half inch head and nice lacing down the glass.

Smell is cherry, oak, funk, lemons, apples, horse blanket, and a tinge of vinegar.

Taste explodes with everything in the smell and more. Cherry is up front and then moves to funk and lemons. Amazing acidity, nicely balanced sweetness, dry oak and funk on the end. This is a perfect lambic.

Mouthfeel is light to moderate with nice sparkling carbonation.

Overall, this may not be my favorite beer, but its in the top 3. Its a perfect lambic and I will be buying the store out.

05-02-2011 00:03:11 | More by bs870621345

11-18-2011 20:27:53 | More by I2uss
Shultzerdugen

Missouri

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Funky little 375 ml green bottle, caged and corked, with an outrageous best before date of like 2025!

Poured a murky, pink-reddish brown, like the color of raspberry puree. A light pink champagne like head settles to a thin topper.

Cherries are up front in the nose, tart but not sweet, with a bit of leather and barnard funk.

Light in body, with a sparkling carbonation. This isn't your typical sweet and fruity kriek. It goes from lightly tart to bone dry, which gives it a great drinkability. Lots of strange funkiness, which just makes it more inticing and complex.

The best I've had of the style.

10-23-2005 14:59:00 | More by Shultzerdugen
Offa

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

This simply an outstanding Kriek Lambic.

Deep red, faintly hazy, big dark pink head steadily shrinks.

Aroma is nice funky, rustic/barnyard aroma, woody and yeasty, and with light cherry element.

Taste is nice rustic/funky yeastiness then cherry and woody leafiness, citric, lightly tart, lightly sweet, hint of sour, and overall slightly on the tart and dryish side but not too tart or dry, and very flavourful. It has excellent lambic character in addition to a firm but gentle cherry/fruity quality and is overall an excellent, complex kriek lambic.

05-12-2011 18:47:15 | More by Offa
soper2000

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Stopped by Kahn's in Indianapolis again today and was surprised to see 2 of these on the shelf. Why did I only pick one up? Oh well, there'll be some lucky soul to get the last bottle. I didn't really know what to expect this being my first proper Kriek (ie not Lindemans). Merely taking the cage off caused the cork to fly out, hit my 9 foot ceiling than land about 6 feet away. That certainly made a nice first impression. Pours a deep ruby red with an immense (obviously) pinkish head that is very soft and cloud like. Aroma is very sour with just a little hint of mustiness, if you strain (or imagine) a faint note of cherry is perceivable. Taste is intense. Very tart. Definetely causes some pucker. The brett funk becomes more prevalent as the beer warms up. Cherry is present in the finish. Great drinkability. I'm thankful that I had the opportunity to sample at least 1 Oud Beersel product as this Kriek will surely make a fan in mourning of me.

09-25-2004 23:02:59 | More by soper2000
JohnQPublic

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is an excellent brew. I had it a couple times in Turnhout, Belgium in March (2013).

This is a sour Kriek, with a definate tart taste of cherries. I am sitting here with a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, and though ok, there is no comparison (the Sam Adams is sweet cherries + "natural flavors").

This was my favorite find this trip.

04-08-2013 02:27:38 | More by JohnQPublic
almightyme3

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Had this beer in Brussels for the first time and fell in love with it -- one of the best lambics out there and possibly the best Kriek.

This one I picked up at a local specialty beer store (with a sick markup too). Poured in a Geuze glass from 375 ml bottle.

A - Pours chery red with minimal head, minimal to no lacing as a true good lambic should be.

S - Cherry smell is strongly present and very up front.

t - sour, but not to the extreme. As the sourness wakes up your tastebuds, you definitely taste sour cherry, excellent cherry aftertaste as well.

m - very light almost like cherry fizzy soda.

d - very drinkable. I would recommend this to everyone who has not tried a really good Lambic - this one will help you discover this style and I loved it.

04-17-2009 17:56:18 | More by almightyme3
dmarch

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

Ok, this is both one of the worst beers I've had and one of the best. Why is it one of the worst? Because I feel really sad drinking this knowing that it could be the last Oud Beersel beer I ever drink since I heard the news that the brewery was closing. It was an Oud Beersel that made me realize that my true calling was beer. It was the gueuze to be specific, but when I saw this on the shelf, I knew I had to grab the last bottle.

It pours ruby in color, only much more beautiful than the gem. It had a huge white head that the massive level of carbonation doesn't let fade. I've never seen carbonation like this. It doesn't have a constant beed of bubbles that flow to the top. It has clouds of carbon dioxide, not just fine bubbles. The aroma is of sour cherries...very sour cherries. The taste is how I love my lambics. Very very tart, not sweet, just tart.

There seems to be an infinite number of beers I have yet to try, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm going to miss this one. One of my favorite lambics.

09-12-2003 01:45:18 | More by dmarch
TheLongBeachBum

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

*** ***Update 8-1-04*** ***

Another Bottle, dated Best Before "11.12.2022 12345 A06".

I thought I had my last bottle of this Wonder-Kriek a long, long time ago, in fact I gave it away to someone very special. But I just found some more! Lucky me, my 'good-deed' reward I guess!! How fucking incredible this Kriek is, excellent appearance in the glass, from the deep red body to the shocking pink head that lasts, it has a top drawer presentation. The nose is pungently tart, this kriek-lambic is dry yet fruity, acidic and biting. Damn I miss this one, but I am glad (& surprised) to see that there are still supplies available. I simply must get more of this one to stash away and keep. To think I drank this at the Oud Beersel Café, now closed, and I even ordered this as Sherry Poësy (it's local name) in the local area. Dearly missed, if you see this DO NOT think twice about taking the whole stash of it. It will keep and improve.

*HIGHLY* Recommended. Happy Yorkshire Day!!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

I have drunk the Oud Beersel Kriek several times at the Brewery Café in Oud Beersel, what a wonderful experience. A recent trip to Belgium in November 2002 revealed the sad news that the Brewery had ceased operating whilst I stood outside and stared at the closed Café – Damn.

Early January ’03 and a trip to Lucky Baldwins in Pasadena, CA & I discovered 2 Bottles of the Oude Kriek Vieille in their Fridge. I just had to have these to take out – but frustratingly they would not let me as they had no “Off Sales” license. So they were both drunk in the Bar. What a Classic Kriek this is, and how I will desperately miss it.

It comes in a 12.7 fl.oz (375ml) green bottle, with a simple black label that has a dark purple round decal with a picture of the 14th Century Castle in Beersel in gold silhouette. Quickly decorked behind the bar I could instantly catch the sharp vinous tart aromas, before it was even poured. Holy Moly! – what a color! – a superb hazy deep pink-red with hints of fresh salmon and deep orange. Quite “the” Kriek. A deep pink frothing crusty head effervesces above this gorgeous looking fluid to complement and produce one of the best looking traditional lambic-Krieks I have ever seen, never mind tasted. The Aromas are simply fantastic – the extreme astringency of this Krieks aroma alone is enough to extract & absorb the moisture from your nasal hairs. Your nose will tingle as you deeply inhale the odors from this monster. Initial tastes transport me right back to the first taste I had of this beer at the Café in 1994. Deeply sour, incredibly dry, SO dry, but with an amazing fruitiness, NEVER sweet, it is this dry-fruitiness that really pulls the cheeks in at the end. Awesome!!. I had a tear in the corner of my eye & a heavy heart when I finished the last drop of the 2nd Bottle I can tell you.

This is (was!!) a highly bitter, supremely dry anhydrous cherry lambic – Exactly how it should be, and quite superb. Oh, how I will dearly miss this most traditional Kriek. Maybe the best of the traditional lambic-Krieks.

If you ever see any of this beer – Buy It!! For sadly, soon, it may just be a memory. Sigh...

08-02-2004 02:57:32 | More by TheLongBeachBum