2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Oud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille - Brouwerij Oud Beersel

Oud Beersel Oude Kriek VieilleOud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille

Brouwerij Oud Beersel visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2002)
View: Beers (11) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille Alström Bros
Ratings: 468 | Reviews: 297 | Show All Ratings:
bs870621345

Wow, my first 5 beer. Picked this up at a new store, I think its over 5 years old, best by date of 21/12/2025. Was not properly cellared

Pours a clear deep ruby color with a redish pink half inch head and nice lacing down the glass.

Smell is cherry, oak, funk, lemons, apples, horse blanket, and a tinge of vinegar.

Taste explodes with everything in the smell and more. Cherry is up front and then moves to funk and lemons. Amazing acidity, nicely balanced sweetness, dry oak and funk on the end. This is a perfect lambic.

Mouthfeel is light to moderate with nice sparkling carbonation.

Overall, this may not be my favorite beer, but its in the top 3. Its a perfect lambic and I will be buying the store out.

05-02-2011 00:03:11 | More by bs870621345
devlishdamsel

Washington

This is the quintessential Kriek. Having been a Kriek drinker for years that is really saying something. No it's not hyped like other beers, but it definitely deserves the highest praise. The problems with most other krieks ranges anywhere from a bold bitterness which results from the cherry pits to cloyingly sweet. The aging in the oak really rounded out and mellowed that flavor and this beer is fully attenuated so there is virtually no residual sweetness. The body is almost like velvet but still thin enough to make this beer insanely drinkable. Such a dark rich red color, its almost like a fine rose champagne, with the bubbles to match. The smell of vanilla oak and cherries hit. You drink in and are intoxicated with fresh juicy cherry essence. There is absolutely no trace of hotness in this beverage, you would think its alcohol free! the aftertaste is pleasant and sings of cherries. Perfection! I will be keeping this on stock as often as possible! Such a fine beverage.

06-11-2013 00:50:32 | More by devlishdamsel
Shultzerdugen

Missouri

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Funky little 375 ml green bottle, caged and corked, with an outrageous best before date of like 2025!

Poured a murky, pink-reddish brown, like the color of raspberry puree. A light pink champagne like head settles to a thin topper.

Cherries are up front in the nose, tart but not sweet, with a bit of leather and barnard funk.

Light in body, with a sparkling carbonation. This isn't your typical sweet and fruity kriek. It goes from lightly tart to bone dry, which gives it a great drinkability. Lots of strange funkiness, which just makes it more inticing and complex.

The best I've had of the style.

10-23-2005 14:59:00 | More by Shultzerdugen
Offa

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

This simply an outstanding Kriek Lambic.

Deep red, faintly hazy, big dark pink head steadily shrinks.

Aroma is nice funky, rustic/barnyard aroma, woody and yeasty, and with light cherry element.

Taste is nice rustic/funky yeastiness then cherry and woody leafiness, citric, lightly tart, lightly sweet, hint of sour, and overall slightly on the tart and dryish side but not too tart or dry, and very flavourful. It has excellent lambic character in addition to a firm but gentle cherry/fruity quality and is overall an excellent, complex kriek lambic.

05-12-2011 18:47:15 | More by Offa
soper2000

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Stopped by Kahn's in Indianapolis again today and was surprised to see 2 of these on the shelf. Why did I only pick one up? Oh well, there'll be some lucky soul to get the last bottle. I didn't really know what to expect this being my first proper Kriek (ie not Lindemans). Merely taking the cage off caused the cork to fly out, hit my 9 foot ceiling than land about 6 feet away. That certainly made a nice first impression. Pours a deep ruby red with an immense (obviously) pinkish head that is very soft and cloud like. Aroma is very sour with just a little hint of mustiness, if you strain (or imagine) a faint note of cherry is perceivable. Taste is intense. Very tart. Definetely causes some pucker. The brett funk becomes more prevalent as the beer warms up. Cherry is present in the finish. Great drinkability. I'm thankful that I had the opportunity to sample at least 1 Oud Beersel product as this Kriek will surely make a fan in mourning of me.

09-25-2004 23:02:59 | More by soper2000
almightyme3

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Had this beer in Brussels for the first time and fell in love with it -- one of the best lambics out there and possibly the best Kriek.

This one I picked up at a local specialty beer store (with a sick markup too). Poured in a Geuze glass from 375 ml bottle.

A - Pours chery red with minimal head, minimal to no lacing as a true good lambic should be.

S - Cherry smell is strongly present and very up front.

t - sour, but not to the extreme. As the sourness wakes up your tastebuds, you definitely taste sour cherry, excellent cherry aftertaste as well.

m - very light almost like cherry fizzy soda.

d - very drinkable. I would recommend this to everyone who has not tried a really good Lambic - this one will help you discover this style and I loved it.

04-17-2009 17:56:18 | More by almightyme3
JohnQPublic

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is an excellent brew. I had it a couple times in Turnhout, Belgium in March (2013).

This is a sour Kriek, with a definate tart taste of cherries. I am sitting here with a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, and though ok, there is no comparison (the Sam Adams is sweet cherries + "natural flavors").

This was my favorite find this trip.

04-08-2013 02:27:38 | More by JohnQPublic
dmarch

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

Ok, this is both one of the worst beers I've had and one of the best. Why is it one of the worst? Because I feel really sad drinking this knowing that it could be the last Oud Beersel beer I ever drink since I heard the news that the brewery was closing. It was an Oud Beersel that made me realize that my true calling was beer. It was the gueuze to be specific, but when I saw this on the shelf, I knew I had to grab the last bottle.

It pours ruby in color, only much more beautiful than the gem. It had a huge white head that the massive level of carbonation doesn't let fade. I've never seen carbonation like this. It doesn't have a constant beed of bubbles that flow to the top. It has clouds of carbon dioxide, not just fine bubbles. The aroma is of sour cherries...very sour cherries. The taste is how I love my lambics. Very very tart, not sweet, just tart.

There seems to be an infinite number of beers I have yet to try, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm going to miss this one. One of my favorite lambics.

09-12-2003 01:45:18 | More by dmarch
TheLongBeachBum

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

*** ***Update 8-1-04*** ***

Another Bottle, dated Best Before "11.12.2022 12345 A06".

I thought I had my last bottle of this Wonder-Kriek a long, long time ago, in fact I gave it away to someone very special. But I just found some more! Lucky me, my 'good-deed' reward I guess!! How fucking incredible this Kriek is, excellent appearance in the glass, from the deep red body to the shocking pink head that lasts, it has a top drawer presentation. The nose is pungently tart, this kriek-lambic is dry yet fruity, acidic and biting. Damn I miss this one, but I am glad (& surprised) to see that there are still supplies available. I simply must get more of this one to stash away and keep. To think I drank this at the Oud Beersel Café, now closed, and I even ordered this as Sherry Poësy (it's local name) in the local area. Dearly missed, if you see this DO NOT think twice about taking the whole stash of it. It will keep and improve.

*HIGHLY* Recommended. Happy Yorkshire Day!!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

I have drunk the Oud Beersel Kriek several times at the Brewery Café in Oud Beersel, what a wonderful experience. A recent trip to Belgium in November 2002 revealed the sad news that the Brewery had ceased operating whilst I stood outside and stared at the closed Café – Damn.

Early January ’03 and a trip to Lucky Baldwins in Pasadena, CA & I discovered 2 Bottles of the Oude Kriek Vieille in their Fridge. I just had to have these to take out – but frustratingly they would not let me as they had no “Off Sales” license. So they were both drunk in the Bar. What a Classic Kriek this is, and how I will desperately miss it.

It comes in a 12.7 fl.oz (375ml) green bottle, with a simple black label that has a dark purple round decal with a picture of the 14th Century Castle in Beersel in gold silhouette. Quickly decorked behind the bar I could instantly catch the sharp vinous tart aromas, before it was even poured. Holy Moly! – what a color! – a superb hazy deep pink-red with hints of fresh salmon and deep orange. Quite “the” Kriek. A deep pink frothing crusty head effervesces above this gorgeous looking fluid to complement and produce one of the best looking traditional lambic-Krieks I have ever seen, never mind tasted. The Aromas are simply fantastic – the extreme astringency of this Krieks aroma alone is enough to extract & absorb the moisture from your nasal hairs. Your nose will tingle as you deeply inhale the odors from this monster. Initial tastes transport me right back to the first taste I had of this beer at the Café in 1994. Deeply sour, incredibly dry, SO dry, but with an amazing fruitiness, NEVER sweet, it is this dry-fruitiness that really pulls the cheeks in at the end. Awesome!!. I had a tear in the corner of my eye & a heavy heart when I finished the last drop of the 2nd Bottle I can tell you.

This is (was!!) a highly bitter, supremely dry anhydrous cherry lambic – Exactly how it should be, and quite superb. Oh, how I will dearly miss this most traditional Kriek. Maybe the best of the traditional lambic-Krieks.

If you ever see any of this beer – Buy It!! For sadly, soon, it may just be a memory. Sigh...

08-02-2004 02:57:32 | More by TheLongBeachBum
putnam

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Does the cinnamon jawbreaker red color mean that straight juice has been added? No. This is fermented juice here. Why? Because it is very very dry. I guess they must have had a lot of blood-red ripe cherries lying around, because the color is unreal.
I recommend drinking this beer at cellar temperature. Cold, it is needlessly dry and only faintly aromatic. Warm, it bursts with rich aromas of giant clods of pressed cherry pulp and baked cheese. On the palate it has the noble richness of aged vinegar and oak barrels combined with vitamin C, sour cherry and dough flavors. There is a distant Luxardo-like cherry pit dimension that shares bitter almond and almond paste nuances, something that adds sweetness as it warms. Extremely persistent, complex and balanced on the finish. I would serve this next time with fish in sauce made from this beer.

09-25-2003 16:17:49 | More by putnam
kmpitz2

Tennessee

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Thanks Chris.

The beer pours a nice rosey color with a 2 finger slightly pink head that falls to a light coating over the brew. Very pretty. The nose is super, with a big sour acrid blast but I can actually smell the sour cherry playing around underneath that. Very enticing. The flavor is intense. Upon taking a sip, my cheeks pucker in and my salivar glands close off, giving me that stickey spit thing going on. The sour and acidic flavor intensifies as I swallow the beer, but fading as quickly as they assaulted my taste buds. It leaves a residual cherry flavor and gives nice sweet cherry burps. The feel is light moderate with a nice moderate carbonation. It leaves my mouth with the sticeky spit feel. This is a refreshing beer. Easy to drink and it tastes really good. I like this beer a lot. Very nice.

06-12-2005 00:28:24 | More by kmpitz2
NeroFiddled

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

I've had so many sweet semi-lambics lately (ie. Lindemann's) that I was quite relieved when I popped the cork on this and could smell the tartness of the lambic immediately! It's been refrigerated upright for some time, and carefully poured, but the body is still quite hazy. I guess the high level of carbonation pulled it up as soon as the cork was released. The color is a reddish-orange-brown. The head is magnificent, however, with a glowing pink foam that continually holds a densely creamy 3/4" head. The aroma is blessedly sour - it even smells astringent (can it be? Or is that the hay/straw suggesting it to me?!) - and vinous with just a hint of the fruitiness below. The body is thin but the extremely fine & effervescent carbonation (which starts crisp) warms to give it a creaminess that helps it to appear fuller. A mouth-puckering lactic sourness welcomes you to this exquisite gem before warming to reveal all of the standard lambic qualities: woody with loads of oak and and a touch of pine, horseblanket, barn, sweat, leather, earthy, powdery, soapy... an amazing array of flavors. It's surprisingly bone-dry with the cherries lending only a very minor thread to the cloth; and appearing quite vinous, even more like grapes in the finish. An authentic kriek lambic! An astonishingly complex beer that is meant to be mulled over and enjoyed for a good part of the evening. Highly recommended to those who understand geuze and lambic!

11-30-2002 17:58:20 | More by NeroFiddled
marburg

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

One of the best beers I've ever had. Some of these traditional lambics are simply mind-blowing.

Blood red, ruby, garnet, fire engine. Whatever you want to call it, this is the purest shade of deep, powerful red I've ever seen. A light pink, frothy, soapy head graces the top. And as is true with so many great lambics, a torrent of bubbly swirls moves throughout the body.

The aroma could be a bit fruiter, I think. It's driving forces are a rotting apple sweetness draped in a light notion of sourness. Begins with a fleeting sweetness that's enveloped with a potent sour flavor. A cherry background lingers from mid-palate through the finish, which is very crisp.

A superb brew. There are few finer beverages that have ever passed my lips.

09-09-2003 01:11:35 | More by marburg
HiroProtagonist

Maryland

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

Served from a corked and caged 375 ml green bottle with a best before date of 2022. The smallish cork popped with little effort. When the geuze-kriek was poured into a glass chalice, an ample fizzy pinkish white head formed and gradually settled into a fine, rich blanket with thicker edges and fantastic lacing. It was quite effervescent...like champagne. This pink-ruby hued beauty was very pleasing to the eye! The complex nose was beaming with fresh cherries, accompanied by sour-tinged oak, earth, and must. The first sip was very puckering, in a lemon juice kind of way. With the second sip, the puckering was gone, and in its place was a fantastically complex array of sour/tart notes that danced on my palate. This delightful celebration of flavor was infused with juicy cherry essence and earthy tones. The kriek finished dry and alive with long-lingering cherry tartness. The flavors were big but masterfully balanced, resulting in an extremely satisfying experience. The carbonation was just right, and the body was appropriate. The Vandervelden family made a fine product here, and it is sad that they are no longer going to produce fine ales such as this again. They don't much better than this!

02-01-2004 05:33:43 | More by HiroProtagonist
gbontrag

Colorado

4.78/5  rDev +14.9%

Thick pastel pink froth rises to the top of my New Belgium snifter tightly packing the glass. Then it starts a show of decomposition and falls just like it rose; steadily and with purpose ending in an uneven rocky froth that covers a rosy liquid with a dash of orange - someone should really develop a tea rose called Kriek.
The lace is provocative as it covers, stretches, rips and slides off the side of the chalice.
Why should I even describe this to you? She was wet and sour and she quenched my fire. She gave me sweet tender kisses inside raspberry tendrils covered in not quite ripe fruit. Her finger tips tasted of sandalwood, patchouli, and sex. If I could own this, all of it, every sexy bit of her, I would never share her. I'd laugh as she teased you; I'd laugh as I described my passion with her; I'd never share a taste with anybody. She's my Cleopatra.

09-17-2005 21:18:14 | More by gbontrag
Bbates

4.78/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is Kriek the way it should be! Unlike most Krieks which are brewed for American tastes, this beer is not at all sweet. A wonderful, funky, barnyard smell gives way to an amazing tart and dry sip. The true nature of this beer comes out at warmer temperatures- drinking it too cold is a waste. The spontaneous fermentation by lactobacillus means this is a truly one of a kind brew which is unique to it's location. Think terrior for beer! While admittedly a "different" experience, every person I have seen take a properly poured sip has been amazed. This beer is worth seeking out!

02-23-2014 04:46:17 | More by Bbates
chaduvel

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

Deep dark red with tons of bubbles. Champagne-like large wispy head that fades to form a quarter inch that stays for the rest of the session. Smell is sour cherry with hints of horse blanket and raw earthy yeast. Taste is sweet for a brief second and then overwhelmingly sour. Sour but dry cherry dominates with more hints of gueze. Dry champagne-like finish. Cherries are real and raw, and the flavors here are amazingly complex and satisfying. An amazing beer!

10-27-2003 15:25:42 | More by chaduvel
RedBaron

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

As my first beer of 2004, I couldn't have been more pleased with this selection. Actually, my partner recommended we uncork it in front of our fireplace, with the Rose Bowl on the tube.

This fantastic gueze uncorked nicely and poured quite vigorously, with a pinkish head, which sustained greatly througout. The apperance was a brilliant champagne rose, clouded slightly due to its non-filtered nature.

The nose was a typical Belgian lambic 'wildness' of earthy muskiness, combined with a mild malt sweet smell.

The taste was of tart cherries, and an excellent tasty yeast 'bite'. The lingering effect of the tart taste was very nice, and it certainly made me want more. The mouthfeel was medium-bodied, chock full of the various malts used in this beer. This is one beer that is highly drinkable, but must be done so with considerable respect--there simply aren't many beers in the world like this one. Although I'm not a huge fan of the lambic/gueze/faro family, I know a classic when I taste one, and this is certainly one of them. Happy New Year!

01-02-2004 02:51:13 | More by RedBaron
clvand0

Kentucky

4.72/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This one pours a pink color with a moderate head that falls fast and leaves very little lacing on the glass. Looks kinda like a wine. The aroma is very nice - lots of Belgian funkiness and a nice sweetness from the cherries. The flavor isn't as sour as I expected, but still plenty sour. Slightly sweet with an intense cherry flavor. Slightly drying on the finish. Drinkability is very good. The mouthfeel is light to moderate, but right on for the style. Great brew.

06-12-2005 00:25:35 | More by clvand0
Avagadro

4.72/5  rDev +13.5%

375mL bottle, Exp: 2030 (what a shelf life!)

A: The cork needs little persuasion to leave the bottle, this beer wants out! What emerges is a fuschia liquid, with a touch of haze. The head is spectacular, with it's gentle pink body willingly climbing an inch out of the glass without daring to dribble down the side. Lacing is prominent, keeping alive the pink froth atop this brew.

S: Bouquet is big, bold, and complex. Musty cellar, horse blanket, and lemon zest are all vibrant, mingling nicely.

T: Bone dry, and puckering, this brew is definitely one that will be remembered. The flavor is composed of sharp acidity, earthy mushrooms, dank cellar, and just a touch of cherry skins at the end.

M: Light, and extraordinarily effervescent, this brew has a delicate astringency to add a nice texture.

D: I came in to this beer worrying that it would be yet another pateurized and sweetened "lambic." What I received, however, is nothing short of lambic genius. Such complexity and depth of flavor are rarely found in this country's lambics, and it is nice to see something this tasty available in my area, which is currently Tallahassee. Sadly, this brewery has shut down as of 2003 according to Wild Brews. It is such a shame, and I can only hope that enough was brewed to last up to the 2030 expiration date.

03-04-2011 03:02:41 | More by Avagadro
israel

4.7/5  rDev +13%

A - brilliant ruby red

S - very recognizable as a lambic w/cherries in the foreground,
very inviting...

T - Initially dry and tart with an explosian of fruit that lingers and
begs for more...

M - Carbonation is low which really allows the true nature of this
beer shine through.

D - This one just leaves me wanting more and more with each sip

This was a great example of a style I can't seem to have enough of, and would recomend this lambic to anyone interested in lambics.

06-06-2008 18:58:16 | More by israel
mschofield

4.68/5  rDev +12.5%

Opens with a strong pop and lots of smoke. Pours a clear, well carbonated gold tinged rose. Topped with a one finger crackling pink-white head.
Tart, wet wool "Belgian" aroma. Cherry, hay.
Great tart taste, cherry - especially black cherry skin, Great winy, wet hay lambic character. Quite sour.
Medium bodied, the cherry doesn't get in the way of the lambic and really ads to the overall flavor.

08-20-2004 21:37:10 | More by mschofield
CAMRAhardliner

Ontario (Canada)

4.68/5  rDev +12.5%

One of my first Lambic experiences was Oud Beersel Gueuze at Delirium Tremens in 2004. Ive been anticipating tasting the Kriek ever since. Here we go.

Pours a deep purpley red color with a fluffy pink head that never dissipates. The aroma is horsey funk, woods, sour cherries and some sweet cherries as well. Sour cherry flesh and woody pits are the first thing to hit my tastebuds. Tartness quickly builds and barnyard flavors pour in in the middle. A sharp sourness pierces through the melee in an astonishingly dry finish. The mouthfeel is thick for a lambic and perfectly carbonated with cream-like bubbles.

Very complex with scads of lambic flavor and very fresh fruit flavors. This stuff reminds me of Drie Fonteinen Scharsbeek Kriek. A must try.

12-28-2006 00:53:08 | More by CAMRAhardliner
boralyl

Oregon

4.68/5  rDev +12.5%

A - 375ml bottle, dated best before 3/10/2030. An audible pop is produced when pulling out the cork. Pouring the beer into a tulip produces a big fizzy pink head. It's got nice retention. The beer is clear and dark red in color, think mahogany.

S - The nose has a nice lactic sourness combined with sour cherries and a little funkiness. There is also a little bit of vanilla and oak character.

M - The body falls somewhere between light and medium. It's highly carbonated and very dry.

T - Bright sour cherry flavors hit first followed by sourness. A little bit of funk shows up in the tail end. The finish brings some more sour flavors lasting into the finish. It's not overly sour, nor overly sweet. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being sweet, and 10 being mouth puckering, I'd give it a 6 or 7.

A superb Kriek. Not overly sour or sweet, and nicely carbonated. I'd certainly pick this one up again.

07-11-2011 01:16:04 | More by boralyl
vrazionale

Vermont

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

375 mL bottle at refrigerator temperature poured into a snifter. Best Before date is 2027, so it's probably bottled in 2007?

A - Dark, velvety crimson body with a quickly-dissipating head. Lots of floating yeasties can be seen around the edges of the beer.

S - Dark, earthy cherry flavor marries exceptionally well with the funky, musky basement aromas. There is a distinct apple character as well - both fresh, juicy tart apples, earthy apple cider, and robust apple cider vinegar. I get the slightest touch of fall spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, even a little bit of clove.

T - A real rollercoaster. The first second is a subtle note of earthy cherries but after swallowing, the tartness of the cherries kicks in. The finish is long, long, long, and delicious. The development of the flavor is remarkable - you've got to try this beer to see it for yourself.

M - Refreshing and zippy. Any more carbonation would have been distracting from the deeply complex flavor profile.

D - One of the most enjoyable beers I've had in a while. Wonderfully quaffable and drinkable. If you're at all a fan of gueuze and/or sours, you'll love this. I only wish that I had the patience to wait until 2027 to see how this beer develops over time!

07-19-2009 02:52:00 | More by vrazionale