Oud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille - Brouwerij Oud Beersel

Oud Beersel Oude Kriek VieilleOud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille

Brouwerij Oud Beersel visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille Alström Bros
1.58/5  rDev -61.9%

I didn't like this beer. My palate's not sophisticated enough for this one. It tasted like sparkling, cherry-flavored cough medicine to me. The sour aftertaste made me think twice about taking another sip. I prefer sweeter lambic. I wanted to like it, but I never finished the bottle. (284 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -39.8%

This is not likely to be an issue of a bad bottle, but of a personal preference. I had many Flemish Reds before this and had expectations of sour cherry with Bego-funk. This ended up tasting like alcoholic cherry soda to me. I do not like cherry soda. I also have a very very limited set of Lambics in my history.

Personal preference bias - disregard this review if you enjoy Lambics. (385 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Comes in a 375ml bottle and the cork has "SB29" printed on it.

Pours a cloudy deep magenta-red with light pink head. No lacing. It is a very cool color.

Alcohol was the first thing that hit me as I waved the tulip glass under my nose, then a dark balsamic vinegar with sour red fruits in the background. Interesting, but not as complex as I would have expected.

Taste is a bit of a letdown. More sour than anything. Leaves my tongue feeling like I chewed on too many sweetarts. Leaves a bitter/sour taste in the back of my tongue for much too long. Hint of red fruit in there as well. Much much too sour to be enjoyable.

I wouldn't drink another of these, although using it as a marinade might be an option. (720 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -35.9%

Pours a brilliant ruby red with a rose-colored head that has very good retention and leaves behind some lacing. A high level of carbonation is visible after the initial pour. Aromas of cherries and alcohol seem to dominate. The taste is, well...different to say the least. I can best describe it as a subtle fruit-flavored champagne. This doesn't really have the consistency, taste, or feel of beer. The cherry flavor doesn't come out all that much. It's the tartness and dryness of this beer that doesn't suit me. The aftertaste is very dry (like champagne or even a chardonnay). I won't be having this beer again...in fact, I couldn't finish my pint. (652 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -35.7%

Tastes like carbonated berry juice. Not really my thing, but I'd be able to appreciate it more if it wasn't insanely bubbly, to the point where I had trouble swallowing it. Took about 5 sips and couldn't do more. Maybe I'll try other beers of this style, but this one really isn't for me. (288 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -35.7%

Had this the night before. I can do a pretty straight forward review of this though. I had been confused in the store about how old the bottle was. It was mixed in with some newer ones. I think they changed the label for this beer. The one I had was in the picture here but the others had a different/newer label.

The beer had a nice red color, bordering on pink. White head. The smell was pretty sour. Some funk, not so much cherry aroma.

The taste was pretty light. Reading reviews made me think that some aging may have mellowed the flavor a bit. I didn't find any bold flavors at all. It was mostly a light sour and vinegar taste. It almost felt watered down to me.

It was pretty easy to drink. The mouthfeel was wonderful though. Perfectly carbonated for me. The vinegar was a little much for me which is why one bottle would be enough for me.

I may go back and try a fresher batch. I think this is a sour that is good for people that are trying to get into the style because it's not too sour. Unfortunately I'm beyond that. (1,035 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -34.2%

A - Deep red with a pink head.

S - Sweet cherry nose. Doesn't smell like it's going to be sour.

T - Slight sweet cherry taste, almost like a Sucret. Wish it was sour, but it's on the sweet side, not too sweet, but sweet none-the-less.

M - Kind of missing, falls off the tongue without much effort. Kind of dissapointing.

D - Not much to say here, goes down too easy. Good, but not great.

Overall I don't think that I would buy this again. I have had Oud Beersel's Gueze Vielle and Kriek Vielle and this is not even in the same league. I can tell that this Kriek is for the sweet Kriek lovers. I like them sour. (625 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -29.9%

On tap at the Hopleaf Bar in Chicago, IL.

I was very surprised to see an Oud Beersel product on tap. Aren't they supposed to be out of business? After doing some digging I confirmed that this was indeed an Oud Beersel brew, although it is nothing at all like the Oude Kriek Vieille I am used to. This cherry geuze resembles the kriek lambics of Lindeman's or St. Louis more then it does the wonderful sour in your face monsters of Oud Beersel's past. Perhaps this brew is being produced by another brewer while Oud Beersel gets back up and running.

Appearance: Deep pink-violet, thick pink head. Champaign carbonation.

Aroma: Sweet and tart cherries. Cherry cough syrup. Lemons. Funk? no.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Cherry cough syrup. Sweet front and middle. Slightly dry tart finish similar to cherry pie filling with a spritz of lemon and a dash of cinnamon kicked in. Very medicinal.

Drinkability: Not very good. Not dry enough for me and too medicinal. (965 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -27.2%

Pours a dark ruby red with huge foamy pink head. Very sweet Aroma of dark cherries with lots of sourness and a slight hint of roasted nut. Very tart/sour lambic taste with a sweet dark cherry balance. Very acicidic with a touch of oak in the aftertaste. (253 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -26.3%

I need to adjust to this style. The huge champagne head and pink hue were beautiful, but it tasted like sour patch kids without the sweetness. Yes, I can see how one would enjoy this, but I'm not there yet. Beyond the overbearing sourness, there was an interesting funk. I really want to like it, maybe I can try some others and work up to it. (343 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -24.6%

cloudy, red like squeezed strawberries, small tan colored head. smells like alcohol, grapes and red fruit, a bit like the odor of a light red wine. Taste is a mild fruity, cherry tartness up front....changing to...nothing at all. After the tartness leaves its as if I drank a glass of water, or at least pretty close to that. My wife said the flavor was like non-alcoholic red wine and too tart. Fizzy and full bodied, like a soda without the sweetness. Easy enough to drink, but i can't say that i'd want to buy another. (521 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -23.4%

Served this 12.7 oz. dark green bottle in a Tripel Karmeliet glass. Best by date: 10 03 2030. The body was opaque and a dull grape/cherry Kool Aide color. The head was a deep pink color and left little lacing.

The aroma was of powdered sugar and cherries. Spicy but not funky. I think I smell cinnamon. I wish there was more wildness in this one.

The taste was puckering tart cherries. Woody and pretty dry. There was a sour bite up front but it finishes with some fruit sweetness. A little watery.

The mouthfeel was thinner than expected but it had plenty of zippy carbonation. (582 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Gotta post something because I'm an outlier...

Here's why:

A: hands down the best part of the beer. The Cherries shine through and give this brew a beautiful bright red hew. Very befitting of a Belgian Kriek. Bravo so far.

S: And here's where things start to go downhill. You can definitely pick up the cherries (which is great and to be expected) but the impending sweetness just overpowers the rest of the aroma. You can tell where this is going.

T: Follows the smell exactly. The cherries peak through upon first hitting the tongue, but it fades quick and just becomes overpowered by an almost artificial sweet flavor. It's just....off.

M: Decent here.....nothing too great, nothing too bad. Moderate carbonation and the slight vinegar follow-through mesh to coat the mouth with fairly even results. Somewhat dry and the cherries linger in the end.

O: Here's the bottom line: we're not talking about a Kriek from Cantillon, Drie Fonteinen or even Boon here. This is an ok Belgian that would be a decent gateway sour for someone breaking into the style. But it's just clearly a cut below in balance and overall flavor profile. I gave it a 3.26, overall, and I think that's incredibly fair -- if not TOO fair. (1,217 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -20.2%

Corked 375ml bottle. Best Before date of 12/2022!

Clear lurid red - looks like Faygo Redpop. Huge fine raspy head intially settles quickly, but a top-up results in a huge head (2-3") that stays.

Nose is sour barnyard over a touch of sour dark cherry. Hmmm. Really quite restrained for what I expected.

Incredibly shrill and sour in the mouth. Some support from the cherry, but this is really a one note beer right now. Very long, but not very complex. I hope this just needs time in the cellar, as its not up to the level of the gueuze from this fine brewery. (568 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -20%

Poured about half of a small corked bottle into my Stone Old Guardian glass - With a proper, gentle pour, the head EXPLODED, giving me about an inch and a half of deep cherry red beer and four to five inches of head. The head is amazing, like dense red-colored lemon meringue or whipped cream; I poured it up to nearly an inch tall over the rim of the glass, and it sat there like a pink styrofoam mountain, fat and happy. Slowly fading down to a thick layer over a few minutes in the thin neck of the glass, it left sticky gobs of styrofoam lacing.

The smell is, quite naturally, sour-smelling cherries and yeast. I'm not exactly a lambic connesseur, and that's pretty much all I get.

Very tart, very sour flavor - cherries, very slight barnyard horsiness. There's just a little malt graininess in the finish, but most of the flavor is sour.

Spicy, tart in the mouth, with a somewhat grainy, dry finish.

It's still going to be a long time before I really know what to look for in a lambic. However, this is rather drinkable. (1,037 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -19.8%

Cherry-Red colour, with ruby reflexes. Pinky foam, quite persistent.
The smell is cherry (obviously...), with some spicy notes. Maybe some pine-apple, and roses.
Hoppy taste, quite strong for a beer like this. Wood and tannic (the core of the cherry). Astringent.
The aftertaste is quite bitter (the hop again). Not sweet. Medium body. (340 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -19.5%

Served into a Samichlaus snifter

Appearance - Deep cherry/raspberry red with a huge pink head.

Smell - Musty cherries with a mild barnyard funk.

Taste - Tart dry cherries with a slight barnyard funk, not overpowering. The mustiness of it isn't for me, it was similar to a damp mildewy basement.

Mouthfeel - Crisp and very carbonated.

Overall - I'm going 3.5 as the flavors I don't care for aren't out of the parameters of the style, but I don't think I would buy this one again. (483 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -19%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes; originally 5/7/11.

A-Pours a dark, hazy red color with a two-finger pink head.

S-Smells of tart cherries with a little bit of balsamic vinegar.

T-Tart, acidic cherries with a slight, bitter finish.

M-Light bodied with heavy carbonation and a drying feel.

D-Pretty nice and refreshing take on the style, although I wish it was a little more tart/sour. (376 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -18.1%

375 mL bottle poured into a tulip.

Appearance - Deep red. Huge pink head that settles very slowly. Lively bubbles.

Smell - Lots of cherry. Woody and dried grass. Lightly funky. Lemony acidity.

Taste - Tart cherry. Woody immediately. Sour and kinda malty. Sweet cherry tempers the sourness. Wood flavors linger into the finish with cherry flavor.

Mouthfeel - Way too highly carbonated. Overpowers the flavor at points. Medium body.

Overall - Couldn't get rid of the excessive carbonation, which affected the taste. Good cherry flavor, decent lambic character. (563 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A-pours a slightly hazy dark dark pink color with a ton of fluffy full light pink head leaving a fair bit of lace.

S-the nose offers a hint of funk up front, pretty focused with very tart sour cherries coming in behind with a decent bit of acidity.

T-this has a fair bit more funk, earthy and dry with notes of blanket. the fruit is slightly more subdued and balanced, decent bit of sour to it with a light acidity in the finish.

M-lighter fluffy body with a strong carbonation and grainy feel throughout.

D-this is well balanced and tasty, nothing supernatural but still enjoyable. the funk is subtle but present and the fruits are there but lighter with a faint acidity. (676 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -16.4%

A: Dark red with a bright red foamy head.

S: Sweet tarts with menthol.

T: The cherry character came through and was nice in the flavor department. More tartness right up front than Ive had on others of the style but not cloying. Still a little much.

M: Bland and not much other than puckering tartness.

D: Got easier to drink, but tartness was just numbing after a while.

I figured I would try this one given the chance, but this was not enjoyable at all. I am not a huge fan of the style, but this was just overpowering in my book and tartness doesnt give much characther. (580 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -16.4%

Thanks to angrybabboon for sharing the bottle.

Appearance: Super deep pink. Dark reds and burgundy as it settles. Head is bubbly and a nice dark pink. Moderate carbonation on the pour. Decent head retention leaves a small cap. Negligible lacing.

Smell: Cherry juice and flesh and more cherry. Slight lactic bite to the whole thing. Underlying funk. So much cherry flesh. Phenolic and medicinal. Band-Aids. Sweet with some underlying funk. Musty and damp. So much cherry. Some ripe cheese. Warming ups the sweetness a touch and lets the tart edges brighten a bit. A bit of pie crust and butter.

Taste: A bit more tart than the nose indicates. Slightly acidic with some tart cherry flesh and juice. Mild tannins with a solid oak backing. Lots of wood. Damp and musty with old stone basement. A hint of cheese. Phenolic, but it works with the tart cherry juice. Medicinal. Cherry flashes up front and then fades quickly. Leaves a lingering citric tartness.

Mouthfeel: Mediumish body. Moderate to light carbonation. A touch dry on the back with a juicy front sip.

Overall: Cherry Band-Aids are good for the soul.

A nice but unexciting "sour." Cherry is prevalent, but so are Band-Aids. (1,193 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured from a bottle with cork closure purchased at Der Braumeister in Cleveland, Ohio into gold lined glass.

A Thin, pink body with no head. Interesting look.

S Mild Cherries, not much sweetness.

T Strong, short lived taste, bitter, dissapears quickly.

M Thin, harsh, brief.

D Above average for the style but this is my first beer of this style and I am not into it yet.

Notes: I may consider re reviewing this beer at a later date when I develop my taste for this style. (479 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

750 mL bottle, with a 28 10 2029 "Best before" date. Served in a Duvel tulip. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a dark, ruby red. A deep purple, one-finger head with wonderful retention forms. A really delightful appearance.

Lots of tart cherries in the nose, with a deep lactic tartness throughout. It's funky and sour, but the fruit flavors still really shine. Perhaps a little more sweetness than I'd like, but it's certainly not a turn-off.

This is very, very cherry-forward. Overwhelmingly sweet, with just a slight sour twang. A vinous, slightly wild yeast component is largely subdued by the cherries at play. Vanilla comes through as well.

This is a touch undercarbonated, though not terribly so. The tartness is mild enough that this never becomes exhausting to the palate.

Totally fine, and pretty tasty. I can't really dock the fruit for being too vibrant, but a slightly deeper level of complexity and sourness would certainly help. (942 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -15.2%

Meh, not impressed. A gorgeous pour and color; deep shiny red with a slight head. A small metallic taste with not a whole lot of flavor. A decent tartness at the finish left me wanting to drink more. I enjoyed the consistency of it as it wasn't watery and not too thick. Not much smell to it and basically I just wanted more from this drink. (341 characters)

Oud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille from Brouwerij Oud Beersel