Oud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille - Brouwerij Oud Beersel

Oud Beersel Oude Kriek VieilleOud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille

Brouwerij Oud Beersel visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille Alström Bros

1.5/5  rDev -63.9%

I didn't like this beer. My palate's not sophisticated enough for this one. It tasted like sparkling, cherry-flavored cough medicine to me. The sour aftertaste made me think twice about taking another sip. I prefer sweeter lambic. I wanted to like it, but I never finished the bottle.

2.5/5  rDev -39.9%

This is not likely to be an issue of a bad bottle, but of a personal preference. I had many Flemish Reds before this and had expectations of sour cherry with Bego-funk. This ended up tasting like alcoholic cherry soda to me. I do not like cherry soda. I also have a very very limited set of Lambics in my history.

Personal preference bias - disregard this review if you enjoy Lambics.

2.58/5  rDev -38%

Tastes like carbonated berry juice. Not really my thing, but I'd be able to appreciate it more if it wasn't insanely bubbly, to the point where I had trouble swallowing it. Took about 5 sips and couldn't do more. Maybe I'll try other beers of this style, but this one really isn't for me.

2.58/5  rDev -38%

Had this the night before. I can do a pretty straight forward review of this though. I had been confused in the store about how old the bottle was. It was mixed in with some newer ones. I think they changed the label for this beer. The one I had was in the picture here but the others had a different/newer label.

The beer had a nice red color, bordering on pink. White head. The smell was pretty sour. Some funk, not so much cherry aroma.

The taste was pretty light. Reading reviews made me think that some aging may have mellowed the flavor a bit. I didn't find any bold flavors at all. It was mostly a light sour and vinegar taste. It almost felt watered down to me.

It was pretty easy to drink. The mouthfeel was wonderful though. Perfectly carbonated for me. The vinegar was a little much for me which is why one bottle would be enough for me.

I may go back and try a fresher batch. I think this is a sour that is good for people that are trying to get into the style because it's not too sour. Unfortunately I'm beyond that.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Comes in a 375ml bottle and the cork has "SB29" printed on it.

Pours a cloudy deep magenta-red with light pink head. No lacing. It is a very cool color.

Alcohol was the first thing that hit me as I waved the tulip glass under my nose, then a dark balsamic vinegar with sour red fruits in the background. Interesting, but not as complex as I would have expected.

Taste is a bit of a letdown. More sour than anything. Leaves my tongue feeling like I chewed on too many sweetarts. Leaves a bitter/sour taste in the back of my tongue for much too long. Hint of red fruit in there as well. Much much too sour to be enjoyable.

I wouldn't drink another of these, although using it as a marinade might be an option.

2.58/5  rDev -38%

Pours a brilliant ruby red with a rose-colored head that has very good retention and leaves behind some lacing. A high level of carbonation is visible after the initial pour. Aromas of cherries and alcohol seem to dominate. The taste is, well...different to say the least. I can best describe it as a subtle fruit-flavored champagne. This doesn't really have the consistency, taste, or feel of beer. The cherry flavor doesn't come out all that much. It's the tartness and dryness of this beer that doesn't suit me. The aftertaste is very dry (like champagne or even a chardonnay). I won't be having this beer again...in fact, I couldn't finish my pint.

2.7/5  rDev -35.1%

A - Deep red with a pink head.

S - Sweet cherry nose. Doesn't smell like it's going to be sour.

T - Slight sweet cherry taste, almost like a Sucret. Wish it was sour, but it's on the sweet side, not too sweet, but sweet none-the-less.

M - Kind of missing, falls off the tongue without much effort. Kind of dissapointing.

D - Not much to say here, goes down too easy. Good, but not great.

Overall I don't think that I would buy this again. I have had Oud Beersel's Gueze Vielle and Kriek Vielle and this is not even in the same league. I can tell that this Kriek is for the sweet Kriek lovers. I like them sour.

2.75/5  rDev -33.9%

2.9/5  rDev -30.3%

On tap at the Hopleaf Bar in Chicago, IL.

I was very surprised to see an Oud Beersel product on tap. Aren't they supposed to be out of business? After doing some digging I confirmed that this was indeed an Oud Beersel brew, although it is nothing at all like the Oude Kriek Vieille I am used to. This cherry geuze resembles the kriek lambics of Lindeman's or St. Louis more then it does the wonderful sour in your face monsters of Oud Beersel's past. Perhaps this brew is being produced by another brewer while Oud Beersel gets back up and running.

Appearance: Deep pink-violet, thick pink head. Champaign carbonation.

Aroma: Sweet and tart cherries. Cherry cough syrup. Lemons. Funk? no.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Cherry cough syrup. Sweet front and middle. Slightly dry tart finish similar to cherry pie filling with a spritz of lemon and a dash of cinnamon kicked in. Very medicinal.

Drinkability: Not very good. Not dry enough for me and too medicinal.

2.98/5  rDev -28.4%

I need to adjust to this style. The huge champagne head and pink hue were beautiful, but it tasted like sour patch kids without the sweetness. Yes, I can see how one would enjoy this, but I'm not there yet. Beyond the overbearing sourness, there was an interesting funk. I really want to like it, maybe I can try some others and work up to it.

Pours a dark ruby red with huge foamy pink head. Very sweet Aroma of dark cherries with lots of sourness and a slight hint of roasted nut. Very tart/sour lambic taste with a sweet dark cherry balance. Very acicidic with a touch of oak in the aftertaste.

3.13/5  rDev -24.8%

cloudy, red like squeezed strawberries, small tan colored head. smells like alcohol, grapes and red fruit, a bit like the odor of a light red wine. Taste is a mild fruity, cherry tartness up front....changing to...nothing at all. After the tartness leaves its as if I drank a glass of water, or at least pretty close to that. My wife said the flavor was like non-alcoholic red wine and too tart. Fizzy and full bodied, like a soda without the sweetness. Easy enough to drink, but i can't say that i'd want to buy another.

3.15/5  rDev -24.3%

Served this 12.7 oz. dark green bottle in a Tripel Karmeliet glass. Best by date: 10 03 2030. The body was opaque and a dull grape/cherry Kool Aide color. The head was a deep pink color and left little lacing.

The aroma was of powdered sugar and cherries. Spicy but not funky. I think I smell cinnamon. I wish there was more wildness in this one.

The taste was puckering tart cherries. Woody and pretty dry. There was a sour bite up front but it finishes with some fruit sweetness. A little watery.

The mouthfeel was thinner than expected but it had plenty of zippy carbonation.

3.25/5  rDev -21.9%