Oud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille - Brouwerij Oud Beersel

Oud Beersel Oude Kriek VieilleOud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille

Brouwerij Oud Beersel visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille Alström Bros
4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

Thanks Chris.

The beer pours a nice rosey color with a 2 finger slightly pink head that falls to a light coating over the brew. Very pretty. The nose is super, with a big sour acrid blast but I can actually smell the sour cherry playing around underneath that. Very enticing. The flavor is intense. Upon taking a sip, my cheeks pucker in and my salivar glands close off, giving me that stickey spit thing going on. The sour and acidic flavor intensifies as I swallow the beer, but fading as quickly as they assaulted my taste buds. It leaves a residual cherry flavor and gives nice sweet cherry burps. The feel is light moderate with a nice moderate carbonation. It leaves my mouth with the sticeky spit feel. This is a refreshing beer. Easy to drink and it tastes really good. I like this beer a lot. Very nice.

4.7/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This one pours a pink color with a moderate head that falls fast and leaves very little lacing on the glass. Looks kinda like a wine. The aroma is very nice - lots of Belgian funkiness and a nice sweetness from the cherries. The flavor isn't as sour as I expected, but still plenty sour. Slightly sweet with an intense cherry flavor. Slightly drying on the finish. Drinkability is very good. The mouthfeel is light to moderate, but right on for the style. Great brew.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

The beer poured into the chalice hazy and red, actually more of a burgundy. The head was pink and rose tall but fell slowly to lace the glass.

The aroma was fruity with notable cherries. The cherry aroma did not seem artificial like other fruit lambics. The aroma also contained a definite yet restrained barnyard aroma. It was slightly sweaty and slightly oaky.

The flavor was decidely sour with cherry fruit flavor. The cherry flavors tasted authentic in the lambic sourness. The flavor was decidely acidic, but not enteric. The flavor was also quite earthy and somehow refreshing. The flavor was also very tart and interesting, but was missing something.

The finish was decidedly dry with lasting acidity and slight cherry flavor with the acidity into the aftertaste. The body was almost medium, but seemed less due to the carbonation level of the beer. The sour cherry and tart belches that emerged after consumption are worth the price of admission alone.

12.7 ounce bottle corked and bailed. Date on back of bottle was an unbelievable Best Before 11.12.2022. The cork near exploded from the bottle after the bail was removed and the beer allowed to warm a few minutes.

4.27/5  rDev +2.6%

appearance is perfect- redness, healthy head and so many bubbles, looks perfect in a champagne glass

smell runs parallel with cantillon and less of the syrup-based sweetness here. fermentation and soothing spices like lavender. smells great.

taste is the perfect balance of gueze and fruit. not much to say on flavor here as it fits the usual profile, but it doesn't oversour you. there is just enough fruit sweetness to make it noticeable.. after all, you want to notice the indulgent cherry flavor in a kriekbier.

best of its class, in my book. miles above de ranke.

3.06/5  rDev -26.4%

I need to adjust to this style. The huge champagne head and pink hue were beautiful, but it tasted like sour patch kids without the sweetness. Yes, I can see how one would enjoy this, but I'm not there yet. Beyond the overbearing sourness, there was an interesting funk. I really want to like it, maybe I can try some others and work up to it.

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

Hazy salmon, aggressive pink head grows quickly to a 3 finger size and retreats back to about a quater inch and stays until the beer is finished.

Nose is of aggressive acidity and dark cherries. Some bretty funk is apparent, though not outstanding.

Brashly carbonated, with puckering acidty and an appropriate body, not too thick, not too thin. Initially, taste is of high acidity with a simple, but nice cherry accent and a dry finish. As it warms, it becomes more complex, with a distinct sour funk creeping in, adding a dimension to the acid/fruit equation. There's a wet straw-like quality, and some other generic 'funk' that my palate can't indentifiy. It finishes dry, with a nice sourness and that lingering hint of cherries.

Nice stuff. Oh, and the Best By Date was in 2023. Comical.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Well this should be the one for today. Opening it up and pouring it in even boosted this feeling.... woww what a carbonation and what a great (bit) pink head and a clouwdy red colour. Smell is very aggresive there so to say. Giving you chery, sourness and everything you want to smell in a kriek. What a presance, to bad the taste is a litle less without offence. Sour, fruity and dry. Bitter in aftertaste for its kind but all in all one to try!

Best before 2022. Poured into an oversized red wine glalss

On removing the cork, a soft hiss was heard. At first I thought I smelled vinegar. I poured it gently into my goblet and left just the sediment in the bottle. It was still too cold, so I drank the sediment while I waited. It really needs some warming for the aroma to come out. The beer itself poured a dark pink, like a rose wine, but with a slightly deep orange hue betraying its life as beer. The small white head disappears to nothingness quickly. It is clear except for some bits of sediment.

The aroma is of huge cherries, some alcohol, and a dark earthy fruit. That barnyard funk is actually somewhat mild. After the soft carbonation, sweet cherries hit the tongue. The sourness/tartness builds to a high level very quickly. No hop bitterness or distracting biscuit or toast. All cherries. The finish is so dry, your tongue doesn't even realize what just went down. Very smooth, alcohol subtle, medium bodied. Definitely a sipper, because of the tartness.

I had this with an assortment of cheese, and it really does go better with a strong cheese like English stilton.

Overall: Very tart cherry lambic. I need to try more of this style, as my reference points are Lindemans and Rock Bottom.

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%

Reddish-pink in color with a light pink head. It does leave a bit of lacing. A nice steady stream of carbonation flows up from the middle. A very pretty beer. The aroma is very musty, with a wet cardboad smell. Hints of sour cherries are in the back. The flavor is tart up front with the musty, horse blanket characteristics next. Nice sour cherry flavor throughout. The drinkability is pretty high on this one. It leaves a bit of sourness through each sip. A very nice brew.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

A very beautiful beer. Incredible striking red color. Very sticky sticky head. PINK LACE one inch up the glass. A very sexy beer.

Big big funk in the nose here. Spicy spicy funk! The horsey notes are really nice and clean. Also get a touch of sourness...maybe from the cherries?? But I don't get much actual cherry scents.

Well...certainly less potent than the Hanssens I just tried. Definately some nice tartness, but nothing terribly extreme. Definately shrinks up the inside of your mouth...but not as seriously as the Hanssens. Get more funk here. More earthy dirt flavors. Get just barely a touch of the cherries. Just barely. More just a sour fruity tartness that I'm associated with cherries. Pretty dry but still a touch of sweetness in the finish. I'm hoping the Cantillon will be super duper bone dry. No lambic I've had has been super duper bone dry yet. Just a touch of the really nasties in the finish...enterics?? I'm glad those aren't more prominent. They are what I think really makes a lambic nasty...those really harsh plastic-y type notes that make me think of rot. I love the earthy horseyness and sharp tartness and sour. But its those nasty nasties that get me.

Mouthfeel is good but leaves me wanting. I want something else there...I imagine proteins play a big role in lambic mouthfeel as no residual sugar or starch would survive.

Pretty drinkable. I take back what I said about that in the Hanssen's review. I can give a lambic decent scores in this catergory. This brew is quite quenching with its fairly mellow hardcore funk and sharp, crisp tartness and earthy characteristics.

3.77/5  rDev -9.4%

Pours a fairly clear ruby body with a frothy white head that is tinged pink. The aroma is sour and very cherry with a slight medicinal character and something slightly cheesy that I keep catching occassionally. The flavor is fairly sour and the cherries come through nicely, but there’s not a whole lot backing it up except for a slightly metallic sourness. The palate is big-bubbled and soda-like.

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Dark pinkish-red with a off-white/pinkish head of foam which is massive. Nice small-bubbled carbonation streams up the glass quite rapidly as well. Aromas are of oak, brett, and sour cherries. This is a bit funky, but nowhere near a girardin black label, or cantillon kriek. Taste is good, but quite subdued for a traditional lambic. Sour cherries and acidic notes mix with some slight oak tones and brett characteristics. Mouthfeel is sharp at first, but dulls and becomes creamier with the addition of yeast. Drinkability remains good, although this is not what I think of as a traditional lambic.

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy cherry wood color with a huge fluffy light pink head. Lots o' lace. Smells funky, of brett and of sour cherry.

Taste....I will not do this one justice but here it goes. Sour and funky. That barnyard brett flavor is front and center. Sour cherry. there really isn't any fruity sweetness here, about the closest you get is tart. Lightly metallic and earthy. Mouth seems to be a bit thin at first but it's jsut really crisp and dry. Cuts in and cuts out, leaving your palette with the memory and a sweetart aftertaste. Nice understated pucker factor in this brew. Not a chugger but not a sipper either. Has a champagney body. Really nice, the best kriek lambic I have had so far.

4.57/5  rDev +9.9%

My first real kriek outside of Lindeman's, and I'm not sure that I could have chosen a better version. This thing had such jammy cherry aromas in the nose that I could have inhaled it all night.
The first sip, however, reveals a mouth-puckering tartness that ism not detectable in the smell, followed by a rush of cherry sweetness, and a musty basement taste that helps the beer finish dry, dry, dry. The carbonation is so perfectly done, like fine champagne. I had this as a dessert beer, so to speak, but I can imagine that this would pair magnificently with a variety of foods, I'm thinking some fresh grilled fish, or even better, a nicely seared duck breast.
This beer kicks some serious ass, and if there's a better kriek out there, I'm looking forward to it.

3.7/5  rDev -11.1%

This is my first Kriek so I might change the scores after I have tried a few more.

The appearance is dark red almost purple color with a huge foamy, soapy white head. The head takes awhile to settle. Small bubbles rise to the top but it's not out of control carbonation.

The smell is yeasty and has a hay quality to it. Slightly ripe cherries there as well. The flavor seems to be limited on the cherry taste upfront. It seems like I am only getting the skins of the cherries and not their juicy qualities. The flavor seems a bit limited and doesn't have the depth I would like until the finish. It's very sharp and tarty. There's a raspberry finish that's acidic.

The best by date is March 12, 2023 so maybe this is a bit young but I don't think it's as developed as I would have liked it to have been. But it's still really good and quite impressive as it stands now.

4.48/5  rDev +7.7%

Best Before 03.12.2023!

Pours out pink, strawberry bubblegum and sits hazy rose in the flute with a billowing light pink head; elegant lacings.

Smells quite tart and musty, kind of like an old shoe. Sweet, yet sour, aroma of cherries held back by the smell of...old. Dry leather would be a good description.

Tastes initially sour, crab-apple like in flavor. Dissolves into a mellowed sweetness of cherries and some more apple-like flavors. Bitterness of grape skins and seeds begins, but quickly retreats and you are left with the wonderful taste of tart cherries lingering in your mouth.

Sparkling in the mouth, light and fluffy feel. It's hard to resist drinking something like this, it's very graceful, yet powerfully defined. With such a long shelf-life, I'd love to see another bottle 15 years from now...I don't even live in the same house for that long.

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

Stopped by Kahn's in Indianapolis again today and was surprised to see 2 of these on the shelf. Why did I only pick one up? Oh well, there'll be some lucky soul to get the last bottle. I didn't really know what to expect this being my first proper Kriek (ie not Lindemans). Merely taking the cage off caused the cork to fly out, hit my 9 foot ceiling than land about 6 feet away. That certainly made a nice first impression. Pours a deep ruby red with an immense (obviously) pinkish head that is very soft and cloud like. Aroma is very sour with just a little hint of mustiness, if you strain (or imagine) a faint note of cherry is perceivable. Taste is intense. Very tart. Definetely causes some pucker. The brett funk becomes more prevalent as the beer warms up. Cherry is present in the finish. Great drinkability. I'm thankful that I had the opportunity to sample at least 1 Oud Beersel product as this Kriek will surely make a fan in mourning of me.

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

375mL bottle

Pours out a blood red color with a big head that has to settle down a little bit before drinking. Aromas of cherries hit the nose first with some big tartness follows it quickly. Taste was just down right terrific! Sweet and sour, but it's more on the sour side. Geuze like with a bunch of cherries added in to make this so smooth. Finishes very, very dry. Almost reminded me of Orval with its dryness. An excellent beer! And this isn't being brewed anymore? I'll go weep in a corner now. If you see this, buy it by the case! Best before of 12-2022.

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a very dark pink/red colour with a nice foamy pink head. Thick, sticky lacing around the edges of my glass. The smell is very musty, reminiscent of an old damp, dank basement. Also, there is quite a bit of yeast in the smell as well. A tiny bit of cherry, perhaps some other fruits, way down in there, but certainly not overpowering like alot of other lambics. The taste is really sour/tart and leaves a bit of dryness in your mouth. Very tasty. Only the after taste has any fruit taste to it. Fairly carbonated, but easy to drink nevertheless. Overall, I was quite impressed with this one. Very nice.

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

Opens with a strong pop and lots of smoke. Pours a clear, well carbonated gold tinged rose. Topped with a one finger crackling pink-white head.
Tart, wet wool "Belgian" aroma. Cherry, hay.
Great tart taste, cherry - especially black cherry skin, Great winy, wet hay lambic character. Quite sour.
Medium bodied, the cherry doesn't get in the way of the lambic and really ads to the overall flavor.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

$4.60 for this 12.7 oz, green, corked and caged bottle at Wines of Distinction, in Abingdon, Virginia. Pours into a tulip glass a clear, cranberry body with a short lived, pinkish/ivory head that quickly falls into a collar of lace. No other lacing. A few suspended particles that, initially, appeared to be yeast "floaties" turned out to be small, pieces of red cherries. Interesting!

Aroma is different from any Kriek I've sampled. I was expecting lots of fresh cherry aromas, but, instead, got slapped in the nose by a tart, sour, acidic, fruitiness that was more balsamic, than cherry. Cherries are definitely in the background, but aren't the major component here. This seems more like a straight gueze than a cherry lambic. I guess I'm used to Lindemans Kriek, and this one is a major departure. The taste is dry, vinous, slightly astringent, and somewhat balsamic. Very sour!

Even the mouthfeel is sour. Very sour! Light bodied, overall, with medium carbonation.

I must confess my lack of familiarity with this style. I enjoyed a few Krieks on visits to Belgium, and the Netherlands, several years ago, enjoyed them, but had no interest in taking notes or learning about the esoterics of the style. I don't intend to disparage this one, simply because I'm now more accustomed to the sweeter Krieks. In fact, I enjoyed this one quite a bit. My personal preference is for a Kriek to have a dominant cherry personality, which this one lacks. Still, this one is nicely complex, and highly drinkable. Obviously, this is a high quality lambic. Just not your average Kriek.

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

*** ***Update 8-1-04*** ***

Another Bottle, dated Best Before "11.12.2022 12345 A06".

I thought I had my last bottle of this Wonder-Kriek a long, long time ago, in fact I gave it away to someone very special. But I just found some more! Lucky me, my 'good-deed' reward I guess!! How fucking incredible this Kriek is, excellent appearance in the glass, from the deep red body to the shocking pink head that lasts, it has a top drawer presentation. The nose is pungently tart, this kriek-lambic is dry yet fruity, acidic and biting. Damn I miss this one, but I am glad (& surprised) to see that there are still supplies available. I simply must get more of this one to stash away and keep. To think I drank this at the Oud Beersel Café, now closed, and I even ordered this as Sherry Poësy (it's local name) in the local area. Dearly missed, if you see this DO NOT think twice about taking the whole stash of it. It will keep and improve.

*HIGHLY* Recommended. Happy Yorkshire Day!!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

I have drunk the Oud Beersel Kriek several times at the Brewery Café in Oud Beersel, what a wonderful experience. A recent trip to Belgium in November 2002 revealed the sad news that the Brewery had ceased operating whilst I stood outside and stared at the closed Café – Damn.

Early January ’03 and a trip to Lucky Baldwins in Pasadena, CA & I discovered 2 Bottles of the Oude Kriek Vieille in their Fridge. I just had to have these to take out – but frustratingly they would not let me as they had no “Off Sales” license. So they were both drunk in the Bar. What a Classic Kriek this is, and how I will desperately miss it.

It comes in a 12.7 fl.oz (375ml) green bottle, with a simple black label that has a dark purple round decal with a picture of the 14th Century Castle in Beersel in gold silhouette. Quickly decorked behind the bar I could instantly catch the sharp vinous tart aromas, before it was even poured. Holy Moly! – what a color! – a superb hazy deep pink-red with hints of fresh salmon and deep orange. Quite “the” Kriek. A deep pink frothing crusty head effervesces above this gorgeous looking fluid to complement and produce one of the best looking traditional lambic-Krieks I have ever seen, never mind tasted. The Aromas are simply fantastic – the extreme astringency of this Krieks aroma alone is enough to extract & absorb the moisture from your nasal hairs. Your nose will tingle as you deeply inhale the odors from this monster. Initial tastes transport me right back to the first taste I had of this beer at the Café in 1994. Deeply sour, incredibly dry, SO dry, but with an amazing fruitiness, NEVER sweet, it is this dry-fruitiness that really pulls the cheeks in at the end. Awesome!!. I had a tear in the corner of my eye & a heavy heart when I finished the last drop of the 2nd Bottle I can tell you.

This is (was!!) a highly bitter, supremely dry anhydrous cherry lambic – Exactly how it should be, and quite superb. Oh, how I will dearly miss this most traditional Kriek. Maybe the best of the traditional lambic-Krieks.

If you ever see any of this beer – Buy It!! For sadly, soon, it may just be a memory. Sigh...

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Sampled from a low 33cl green bottle found at the Wine House on the Westside of LA marked as "Best Before 12/2022"

At first pull on the cork after removing the cage, I was really worried because the cork slid so easily. But as the cork slipped out there was a reassuring pop to keep the mind at ease.

Beer pours wonderfully fluffy into the glass with a pinkish head and deep hazy cherry red. This isn't the cherry red of a cough drop or Lindeman's but something that more closely relates to a real cherry.

Aroma is a light dry fruity nose with definitive edges of musty sour peeking up and through any fruit wrapped earthiness that appears.

Flavor is crisply tart from front to back with tart cherry,, leathery bites and a sharp citric based acid competing for a forefront. Asd the beer fades off the palate an acectic acid note starts to assert itself with some of the dry funky flavors of a lambic.

This to me is the perfect drinking kriek and the great intermediate step between the sweet poppy nature of the Lindeman's products and the hard unforgiving assertiveness of the Cantillon and Boon lambcs.

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

Gorgeous, rosey, raspberry pink color, smallish, and short-lived layer of foam.

Aroma: brilliant and bubbly, highly effervescent and full of tart cherries.

mmmm, tart, oooo!, my little mouth shrinks back into itself, then return and greets the cherry flavor with new aplomb! Great, scrumptious texture, just floods the mouth and spills out all over. Fresh, and delicious, medium-bodied with a long, lush finish.

this is a wonderful thing, and may be my favorite kriek among the several I've sampled!

4.02/5  rDev -3.4%

The big, faint pink, foamy head dies very fast leaving a bald, clear, pinkish red beer with hallucinations of gold. It's hazy on the last pour. Nose is sour, musty, farmy with cherries. Very cool. Front is tangy, then puckeringly sour. Wow. Middle is almost spicy, full and complex. Fruity and sour to be sure. Finish is astringent and earthy. Best Before date was 05/04/2022. It would be great to see how this beer evolves over the next 18 years. But sadly, mine is empty.

Oud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille from Brouwerij Oud Beersel