Oud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille - Brouwerij Oud Beersel

Oud Beersel Oude Kriek VieilleOud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille

Brouwerij Oud Beersel visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oud Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille Alström Bros
philipquarles

Connecticut

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

375ml bottle with BBD of 6.12.2024, making this a 4.5 y.o. bottle, I think. Pours an opaque dark red with a large, fizzy light pink head that lasts. Looks like a glass of blood with some sediment mixed in. The smell is largely barnyard, must, and tart cherry. Definite lacto character. Sour cherry taste, but the tartness is rather restrained compared to offerings from some other traditional producers. A certain "funk" and woody earthiness to it. Overall quite dry, as it should be. Medium body with heavy carbonation. Nice, traditional kriek that makes for an easy drinker (as far as lambics go).

06-06-2009 23:13:15 | More by philipquarles
wl0307

United Kingdom (England)

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%

Coming in a 375ml green bottle, corked and caged. BB 27/06/2027(!), served just mildly chilled (around 10゚C) in a large tulip-shaped wine glass.

A: pours an ultra-elegant, translucent, light purple-red colour, coming with semi-lively streams of very fine carbonation and a pinky-beige froth settling slowly to a thin cap to last throughout the drink. Handsome!
S: the savoury-sour-bitter fruits are seamlessly blended with the sweaty/musty aroma of lambic, with a fine wheat-ish touch and "resinous notes" in the background. A swirl gives rise to more tartness of raspberries and sour cherries, but only just. The resins come as a surprise to me, as I don't recall having noticed this kind of element in other Kriek Lambic before - possibly coming from the wooden casks/barrels?
T: the taste is lightly metallic and salty-sour upfront, uncompromisingly, but not in the same astringent fashion as Cantillon, as a delicious and rounded flavour of lambic beer weighs equally to balance off the fruits. The tartness settles pretty fast, leaving the lambic's musty-citric flavour with a distinctive wheat-ish aroma and a semi-dry, chewy-zesty palate to prolong the joy in the end of each sip.
M&D: granted, I'm not a fruit-lambic drinker (i.e. big fan), but this one really ticks all the boxes for me as a reasonably complex yet immensely, pleasantly drinkable example. The fine and soft carbonation supports a medium body that in turn shows the moderately tart fruitiness treading light on a mature and rounded lambic platform - maybe the secret lies in the "old" lambic base? As pointed out by many previous reviewers, I also share the opinion that, although this is not the most "distinctive" Kriek beer, it's nonetheless a harmonious and superbly-crafted one. I truly like it.

05-23-2009 08:37:17 | More by wl0307
largadeer

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Bottle at The Alibi Room in Vancouver. Dark murky brown in color, topped with a finger of head that doesn't linger too long. The aroma is massively funky, sweaty and mineral with a hint of tart cherry and red wine vinegar. On the tongue, the fruit flavor is much more pronounced and complex, largely sour but with a very subtle hint of sweetness. Acidity is moderate to high, making for a slow sipper, but a highly enjoyable one. A touch of grain and esters appear in the dry finish, but the cherry flavor dominates here. An exemplary kriek, I'll be seeking this one out again.

05-21-2009 02:39:29 | More by largadeer
rtepiak

Poland

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

pour is red translucent with a rather nice pink head. no lace. a bright smell of thyme, cherries, musk, wood and pollen... then fades to a metal for a bit. grassy metallic. taste is predominately tart and that metallic grass. not flemish cherry but brighter... musky cellar and honey. not earthy but a mild doughy honey malt finish. quite herbal. thyme, pollen, a steady cherry of a mild sweetness. i wonderful kriek. very well balenced. not as poignant complex but a broader palate range that makes it so wonderful. not as floral as some. or as acidic.

drink it at 55 degrees. the warmer the better. would highly recommend this one to anyone as a traditional kriek. not to abrasive. an easy to go.

05-10-2009 07:21:56 | More by rtepiak
neenerzig

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

A 12.7 oz bottle poured into my snifter. Pours a cloudy, medium to dark red color. has an off-white, I guess you could say pink colored head about an inch thick when poured. Settles to a nice thick ring lining the inside of the glass. Aromas of cherry sourness, like a good wine, is certainly present. Has a sweet and sour tart cherry flavor with a bit of vinegar and some oak wine barrel goodness. Very dry aftertaste. I haven't had much experience with lambics thus far, but it this is how a true lambic is supposed to taste then that is a very good thing indeed! Has a crisp, medium bodied mouthfeel with moderate to heavy carbonation. Much easier to drink than I would have thought. I really enjoyed this. I plan to drink more lambics soon!

Eric

05-06-2009 03:07:30 | More by neenerzig
mikecharley

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Thanks to Track1646 for breaking this out at our tasting yesterday, to accompany some other stellar beers as well. Gotta love when a beer has a 20 year shelf life (best by date of 2025)

Pours a ruddy, unseethroughable garnet. White rosey head. The head sticks around through the whole experience.

The nose is of spoiled cherries, some cab barrels. Some vinegary, acidic characteristics too. It smells like I really want to drink this!

The taste is amazing for a sour. This is what a lambic should be like. Vinegar, acidic, funk, some small oak charactaristics, obviously cherries. Yum

The drinkability of this beer is amazing for the style. The vinegar/tartness is perfect. great example of the style. High recommendation.

05-04-2009 20:46:26 | More by mikecharley
RuudJH

Netherlands

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

My first serious encounter with Kriek beer. You have to try, even if it's late.
The appearance and smell of this one is all about cherries, obviously. It's hard to notice anything else, allthough the smell is pretty neutral overall.

But then the taste. I was completely surprised as to how sour/tart it is. Unsweetened. It strongly reminds of unripe fruit (cherries), dry in the mouth.

At first, I really wondered if this beer is bottled the way it's intended, but then I remembered reading about how sour beer could be in the MiddleAges, i feel timewarped.
I can understand people sometimes felt more safe to drink this than water, by fear of infected water.

Alll of a sudden I begin to like this. It's very refreshing. I'm a fan of tradition, and a beer that wakes me up for a little while, can't be bad anyway.

An interesting experience. Not one to drink steadily, but a nice sipper.

05-01-2009 14:21:22 | More by RuudJH
LaPeste

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

375ml bottle with cork and cage purchased from Vendome in North Hollywood for $7.99.

A: Cherry red to brown with slight pink head. I like the look of this one.

S: Sour cherry, ripe fruit, definitely some chocolate. Inviting.

T: Dry and sour up front, cherries linger for a long while after. Vinegar, berries, sour grapes.

M: Nicely carbonated, light/medium body, dry

D: A great sipper, almost have to resist the urge to gulp it down. Perfectly sour.

I will be getting this one again and again. One of the best lambics I've had.

04-25-2009 19:34:16 | More by LaPeste
almightyme3

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Had this beer in Brussels for the first time and fell in love with it -- one of the best lambics out there and possibly the best Kriek.

This one I picked up at a local specialty beer store (with a sick markup too). Poured in a Geuze glass from 375 ml bottle.

A - Pours chery red with minimal head, minimal to no lacing as a true good lambic should be.

S - Cherry smell is strongly present and very up front.

t - sour, but not to the extreme. As the sourness wakes up your tastebuds, you definitely taste sour cherry, excellent cherry aftertaste as well.

m - very light almost like cherry fizzy soda.

d - very drinkable. I would recommend this to everyone who has not tried a really good Lambic - this one will help you discover this style and I loved it.

04-17-2009 17:56:18 | More by almightyme3
DannyS

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Served in a small glass tumbler, poured from a 375ml bottle, dated 06/27/07.

A - Slightly brownish, yet still bright, red color. Somewhat like a dark red wine.

S - Sour, winey, slightly yeasty. Lots of cherry aroma up front.

T - Tart, totally not sweet. Powerful cherry flavor with an acidic, tannic backing.

M - Kind of thin on the fizz and a hurt slightly by the tannin, but still smooth.

D - It's kind of hard to drink more than one of these. This is one to savor by itself, like you would a casual glass of wine

overall - I'm doing this one mostly from memory of last night; was in a hotel room and unable to procure internet access to write a review. But what I remember was good. It was a nice, bracingly tart cherry lambic to start off what would be an awesome night of food and beer.

03-06-2009 07:33:54 | More by DannyS
LilBeerDoctor

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Bottle sampled on 09/26/08 on Night of the Funk. Pours red with a small pink head. Aroma and flavor of cinnamon and tart cherry. Very nice! Not much else to say except that I really enjoyed this beer.
Aroma: 8/10
Appearance: 4/5
Flavor: 8/10
Palate: 4/5
Overall: 15/20
3.9/5

12-27-2008 21:05:22 | More by LilBeerDoctor
roan22

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Well, fellow BA's, let me start by saying I won this beer in a raffle [beer basket]..I probably would have never bought this beer, due to a preconceived idea of mine that I didn't like kriek [or any cherry flavored] beers. Boy was I wrong!

I shared this with my sister Kate, Christmas day about noon, after about 4 cups of coffee and brunch at my Moms'. We used my mom's new French wine tumbler glasses, which were a retro green shade.

The beer appeared to be a dark ruby/magenta color in these glasses. It was very effervescent, sparkling even, and not much foam or lace.

Aroma was a bit of sweet cherry fruitiness, basement mustiness and a hint of sour [cuz its a lambic, so true to style].

Taste/Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Refreshing! Like the bottle says, it drinks like a pink sparkling champagne only it is BEER. Touch of lambic sourness which is great, and only minimal hint of cherry taste present. The fizziness was great too.

At 6.5%, it was so smooth, with no alcohol hotness. My sister and I both loved it which could possibly be the first time this has ever happened with beer. However, I couldn't drink more than one bottle in one sitting due to my addiction to hops.

Cheers!

12-27-2008 05:06:56 | More by roan22
bluemoonswoon

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

375mL bottle poured into a flueted snifter glass, you've seen these things so you know what I'm talking about, it looks like a water glass at a fancy restaraunt.

The most noticeable aspect of this beer is the suprsingly dense and creamy head (and the fact that the head is a musty shade of pink) that forms like a blanket over the burgungdy colored beer. I've had guezues and lambics before but the color some of these beers display, present beer included, is just amazing.

Aroma is not as mind blowingly sour as others I have come across, this one relies more on tart cherries (as it should) and that good old fashioned brett mustiness/hay-like aroma combination that one comes to expect from spontaniously fermented beers.

Taste is not what I was expecting and not what the aroma whould lead you to believe that it would taste like. Cherries are a bit understated, don't get me wrong they are still there and everything but not nearly as present here as they were in the nose. Raspberry seems to be more prominent but maybe that's because of the degree the cherry aspects of this beer have "tartified" that is, become more tart so as to lead me to believe there are raspberries and/or carnberries in this beer. Outside of this and a slight woody earthy flavor, the beer pretty much explains itself. The mouthfeel is nothing spectacular, carbonation is within the normal range for beers of this style. Actually is pretty full bodied and almost chewy, one of the more substatial lambics I've had my hands on in recent memory.

Drinkability remains in the average category because that is how drinkable I think this beer is, it does not wow me into wanting to guzzle the whole thing down with me trying to restrain myself from doing so the whole time, the beer just seems to fit the bill of a whole host of other lambics in terms of drinkability. Still remains a tasty and complex beer though.

12-21-2008 18:55:37 | More by bluemoonswoon
Brokenbil

1.5/5  rDev -63.9%

I didn't like this beer. My palate's not sophisticated enough for this one. It tasted like sparkling, cherry-flavored cough medicine to me. The sour aftertaste made me think twice about taking another sip. I prefer sweeter lambic. I wanted to like it, but I never finished the bottle.

12-14-2008 14:23:11 | More by Brokenbil
koolk

Australia

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Light pop from the cork pours a delicious cloudy strawberry red. Big pink head with a lot of fluff persists well.

Cherry aromas dominate with hints of old barrels - woody, nutty and even a touch of chocolate. Has only hints of the "funk" - namely a woolly hay-like aroma.

Palate is also cherry dominate with a strong souring aftertaste that mixes well with a somewhat marzipan flavour. Good flavour, however it does lack a little body.

Mouthfeel is well balanced without an over exaggeration of sourness. High carbonation, but this works well.

I like it a lot - if anything it is lacking a little in complexity and feels thin. Having said that I will drink this again. As always with these beers - many thanks to those getting these in the country!

12-02-2008 09:40:45 | More by koolk
corby112

Pours a dark ruby red with huge foamy pink head. Very sweet Aroma of dark cherries with lots of sourness and a slight hint of roasted nut. Very tart/sour lambic taste with a sweet dark cherry balance. Very acicidic with a touch of oak in the aftertaste.

12-01-2008 08:05:07 | More by corby112
tmoneyba

3.68/5  rDev -11.5%

Corked Bottle from Crown #19.

Poured a clear red color with an average frothy reddish head that mostly lasted with good lacing.

Moderate cherry yeasty aroma.

Medium body with a fizzy texture.

Medium sweet & sour flavor with a medium bittersweet finish of moderate duration.

This beer met my expectations.

11-12-2008 23:57:25 | More by tmoneyba
peabody

Kentucky

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours out really a red burgandy to amber color with one finger of white suds. Slight lacing.
Smell is sour cherry sticks and woody sediment. Lambic out the yin yang. Also a floral smell like a rose or orange blossom along with the dry sugar malt.
Taste is dark cherry sweet like a freshly baked cherry pie. Very chewy and breadlike. Reminds me a a cherry pepsi orange when I was a kid.
MOuthfeel is very clean and the dryness is a sweet malty thing with lots of aftertaste of sour cherry skins.
Drinkability would be through the roof except for you can't get this stuff anywhere around my town!Q

10-18-2008 21:19:58 | More by peabody
Onslow

3.73/5  rDev -10.3%

ow, very tart and corky, musty and acidic but not mouth drying... lots of cherry and sour cherry skin aroma .. is very refreshing, does have a strange not so fresh aftertaste ... good pink foam(looks like an cherry icee head), some minor lacing ..dark ruby colour .. lots of funk, metal,woodiness, cherry, sour notes in the flavour depo ... a nice fruit lambic but to tart and funked (authentic) for me to truly rave about, but i can appreciate this for its quality ... best before date: 12.04.2026...turns wedding bells into wedding bills, ha ha ha..???

10-08-2008 18:30:52 | More by Onslow
RunawayJim

Rhode Island

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

This beer pours a cloudy deep red color with a small pink head. It immediately smells of barnyard funk - must, mildew, old wood. There is also a nice cherry sweetness in the aroma. The flavor is nice, tart, and sour. It's funky. It tastes like licking an old wood barrel that had been sitting around for a while. The cherry flavor is there to balance some of that out, but this is a great sour beer. The beer is not too heavy and goes down quite easy, despite the sourness. I really enjoyed this one.

10-07-2008 02:44:59 | More by RunawayJim
USCTrojanBrian

Maryland

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

This is a delicious brew, of course. I was actually expecting a bit more, but the appearance was outstanding, fun pinkish-red head, lots of carbonation in the appearance and mouthfeel, lots of bite around the tart and sweet cherry flavors all with the tart lambic base.

Terrific stuff. It's a masculine way to do a fruity beer, and a way to get that sour beer kick filled.

09-30-2008 00:17:38 | More by USCTrojanBrian
adamette

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

Poured from a bottle with cork closure purchased at Der Braumeister in Cleveland, Ohio into gold lined glass.

A Thin, pink body with no head. Interesting look.

S Mild Cherries, not much sweetness.

T Strong, short lived taste, bitter, dissapears quickly.

M Thin, harsh, brief.

D Above average for the style but this is my first beer of this style and I am not into it yet.

Notes: I may consider re reviewing this beer at a later date when I develop my taste for this style.

09-17-2008 03:09:33 | More by adamette
ArrogantB

Colorado

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Dark pink with a fluffy pink head. It smells good, sour, cherries, and a little bit of manure! The taste was not too heavy on the cherry, some sourness, a little bit of acidity this was cool. I'll be interested to try their framboise and gueuze. Mmm gueuze.

09-07-2008 04:10:10 | More by ArrogantB
canucklehead

British Columbia (Canada)

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

New in BC this is a nice antidote to the sweet Chapeau and lindemans that have also arrived.

Very much looking like Raspberry juice and Iced Tea mixed together with a pink head. The nose is pure lambic with some fruit rising up. This is a bracing beer with a dark fruit flavour matching up against the sour lambic body. The finish is quite dry with a fairly quick drop off. Not on the Cantillon level but very nice and unsweetened.

08-16-2008 01:09:41 | More by canucklehead
rye726

Colorado

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Deep raspberry color with a pinkish head. The nose has fresh mountain cherries, funky oak and some tart sour aromas. The taste is also a nice blend between funk, tart fruits and sweet cherries. A delicious brew complimented by a crisp body. I could enjoy this masterpiece all night.

08-02-2008 07:50:29 | More by rye726